Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

Honestly, I would have probably gone to Mortimers but SS Billiards was closer to where I've been working, and I assumed I'd be able to play it a lot easier than this weekend during the circus. You going this time? I'll be there with fellow goon The Joe Man unless his plans have changed.

I didn't even figure out what that skill shot was doing beyond "hit the lit lane." Thought there was some random value flashing while you plunge or something.

Regarding the skill shot, you should try to hit the two rollovers while they're lit, as well as the lane.

I think I'll skip the Circus this time around. I love pinball, but the atmosphere and some of the people there are a bit much. I end up smelling of sweat and hot dogs, and don't get enough play in. I think the Mort's Walking Dead launch party will have their games on freeplay, and that should fill that niche for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Anarch posted:

I asked about extra Steam copies for the Gold Upgrade via Kickstarter PM and they said it's possible.

Great minds think alike. Had just sent a message myself.

That being the case - if Farsight says it's possible, I'm willing to do the pledge unless someone else cares enough to want the pledge under their name. I'm not overly concerned with the other items included at the $150 pledge level. If I'm reading it right, it's just an AF wallpaper, entry into a tournament not open to Steam users anyway, and wacky physics balls (I think they've confirmed a glow in the dark one). As far as the name in the credits - I'd just submit something like "PinGoons" anyway.

So if you're interested - please respond here, PM me, or add me through Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BeatnikFilmstar/

The pledge amount for 5 gold tables is $150 - so an easy $30 each. Paypal would be fine with me, though I would like it prior to the pledge. Don't really feel like putting up $150 without getting the funds back until February.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

I think I'll skip the Circus this time around. I love pinball, but the atmosphere and some of the people there are a bit much. I end up smelling of sweat and hot dogs, and don't get enough play in.

I did feel rather thin and cooler than normal at the last one. Will try to hit the Mortimers premiere on the 25th. Would like to BS with you about Pinside sellers and crap. Urge to buy a table at an all time high.

Edit - crap. Quoted myself like an idiot.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 9, 2014

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Come on out or shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help/pick up a game/whatever. I'm at Mortimers at least 5 times a week as well.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Ok so I ended up not buying that Dealer's Choice table. It was in pretty good shape, but it stunk like a million cigarettes (I don't mind smell of cigarettes that much either) and the $350 started to feel like more and more money. It's going to happen one day though, one day!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't see anything posted about this, but does anyone know why pinball FX2 updated with 3.2Gb the other night?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Something about a huge audio quality update, plus a few minor bug fixes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Also this

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Come on out or shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help/pick up a game/whatever. I'm at Mortimers at least 5 times a week as well.

Heh. Just read the tournament plans for the premiere at Mortimer's. Then saw someone on pinside lamenting thier chances having only scored 99 million. I didnt even crack 60 yesterday at SS. I'm gonna need some luck to even qualify for the tourney. Still plan on going cause Hell - other tables on free play for $10? Why not? Also a good excuse to finally check out the much closer to home East Side Pinball for some practice.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Ok so I ended up not buying that Dealer's Choice table. It was in pretty good shape, but it stunk like a million cigarettes (I don't mind smell of cigarettes that much either) and the $350 started to feel like more and more money. It's going to happen one day though, one day!

I think you are better off. Save up $2k and get something good.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I feel like I'm spamming the thread lately - my apologies.

Finally heard back from Farsight regarding the TAF gold editions and giftability. Same as Anarch posted - they said that it would be possible to gift them to users of any platform - Steam included. Was also told that the gold edition would be running the gold ROM while the standard would be running the standard ROM, so the differences between the tables won't be cosmetic only.

Still willing to do the pledge for a five pack of gold tables if people are interested, though nobody has said they are. Frankly, I'm kinda tempted to just be an rear end and remove my pledge. The goal has been met, the only stretch goal they've mentioned (Getting the rights to Christopher Lloyd) hasn't happened and doesn't interest me anyway, and I intend to buy a season 4 pass when available anyway. Can always just buy the gold version whenever they make it available for whatever premium price they want to charge for it. As things stand now, anything under $100 will save me money. (I'm in the "There's no way they sit on it if people are willing to pay to have it" camp. May wait a year before making it available, but they'll sell it.)

Modus Pwnens posted:

I messaged you on Steam, but that still leaves 3 more....

OK - cool. Posting during lunch at work. The forums are one thing - installing Steam would be another.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I messaged you on Steam, but that still leaves 3 more....

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MorgaineDax posted:

Something about a huge audio quality update, plus a few minor bug fixes.

I wish Pinball Arcade would do an audio quality update. The non-emulated sound sounds like rear end on certain tables (Whirlwind particularly).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/002/503/716/d213e044c708b87810c5f2ddee14c596_webm.webm

That should be the second video on the Kickstarter page, giving a quick video greatest-hits of Pinball Arcade. How come there's all kinds of crazy lighting on all of those tables they show, but none of it happens when I play the game? Is there a setting to turn on the more dramatic effects?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

Heh. Just read the tournament plans for the premiere at Mortimer's. Then saw someone on pinside lamenting thier chances having only scored 99 million. I didnt even crack 60 yesterday at SS. I'm gonna need some luck to even qualify for the tourney. Still plan on going cause Hell - other tables on free play for $10? Why not? Also a good excuse to finally check out the much closer to home East Side Pinball for some practice.

East Side is good. The op, Policano (pinside name), is a pretty good guy and if he ever has a table to sell, he's super friendly, honest, and helpful. The tables at East Side are well done and maintained as well. If I lived closer to East Side, I'd be there all the time, but Mort's is a short walk away and has the better selection.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

prefect posted:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/002/503/716/d213e044c708b87810c5f2ddee14c596_webm.webm

That should be the second video on the Kickstarter page, giving a quick video greatest-hits of Pinball Arcade. How come there's all kinds of crazy lighting on all of those tables they show, but none of it happens when I play the game? Is there a setting to turn on the more dramatic effects?

It's the PS4 version. The lighting engine was supposed to come to the PC "soon" as of last December. So expect to see it in a year or two maybe?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Last time they mentioned it would come out on Steam after they got Pinball Arcade on the Xbone.

So yeah, two more years

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

roffels posted:

It's the PS4 version. The lighting engine was supposed to come to the PC "soon" as of last December. So expect to see it in a year or two maybe?

It's really quite beautiful. It makes me feel like I've been playing pinball machines in some well-lit room instead of a borderline dungeon, which is really what an arcade is supposed to be like. :(

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Farsight is doing a stream of Phantom at the Opera at http://www.twitch.tv/farsight_studios
They just revealed that they'll do a modification of Haunted House with a Ghostbusters theme and also that Lord of the Rings might be a possibility somewhere in the future.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FutureFriend posted:

They just revealed that they'll do a modification of Haunted House with a Ghostbusters theme

But why.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TheMcD posted:

But why.

I guess modifications are easier to do? Either way they only have it on mobile devices for a while, apparently it's gonna take a while to get on PC.

:farsight:

VVV I mean, they are still adding poo poo and changing the ruleset but it's still just "Why haunted house".

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 10, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, that is the worst machine to make a Ghostbusters game any game from. So I guess now I'll have two machines with great themes ruined by Haunted House's awful layout and ruleset.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

FutureFriend posted:

Lord of the Rings might be a possibility somewhere in the future.

Oh, that would be cool. There's a Lord of the Rings table at my local arcade and I've been having a really good time with it, a digital version would be fun to play around with.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Coca Koala posted:

Oh, that would be cool. There's a Lord of the Rings table at my local arcade and I've been having a really good time with it, a digital version would be fun to play around with.

Yeah that surprises me. I had pretty much assumed that one would be a no go because of licenses.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Apparently the license is getting cheaper and Bobby King said they were going to wait until it gets cheap. It's still farsight though, so waiting means waiting for 2 years atleast.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

cosmicjim posted:

Yeah that surprises me. I had pretty much assumed that one would be a no go because of licenses.

I'll bet the fact that its a new, active property actually helps license fees. Even though its active, the fact that they don't have to negotiate with a skajillion rights holders probably makes things cheaper overall.

Personally, it sounds awesome to me. LotR was maybe the first pin I actually sorta understood the ruleset for.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheMcD posted:

But why.
They got the Ghostbusters license in the deal they did with Sony.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Kins posted:

They got the Ghostbusters license in the deal they did with Sony.

I guess that makes sense, still, why Haunted House of all tables? Just because it's a SS and they don't have to actually put any real effort in like they'd have to do with a DMD?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Haunted House is an awful table. Ghostbusters is an amazing license, and it's really too bad that they're wasting one of the best unused licenses on that layout.

It's like making an Aliens table out of Popeye.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Really wish that Christopher Lloyd (and apparently Jimmy Workman) would settle; they're not going to make more than the Juliá estate, nor should they. It's not like they need to do extra work for the project, and if Farsight needs to they'll just Photoshop in some random bald dude(s).

FutureFriend posted:

They just revealed that they'll do a modification of Haunted House with a Ghostbusters theme
:wtc: I'm extremely disappointed that they'd waste such an opportunity like that.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Haunted House actually rules in real life, it just sucks in TPA. Maybe they'll fix it in a remake.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Anarch posted:

Really wish that Christopher Lloyd (and apparently Jimmy Workman) would settle; they're not going to make more than the Juliá estate, nor should they. It's not like they need to do extra work for the project, and if Farsight needs to they'll just Photoshop in some random bald dude(s).

They should photoshop in Jackie Coogan.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Well, chatted with one goon for a bit tonight about some FX2 tables amongst other things, and seeing as how The Joe Man gifted me the newish TWD FX2 table as well as the Guardians of the Galaxy one for my up coming birthday, and since I'd never even played the new Star Wars tables that I picked up the last time they were on sale... - I fired up FX2 for the first time in nearly 3 months.

Gut reaction reviews based on a single game of each:

The Walking Dead - Actually pretty good. I think I'd like this one a lot if I give it a chance. First one I played out of the bunch though, and about 85% of the time was spent getting used to the camera angle and the physics as compared to TPA. Also - I guess in a way I prefer that this is based on the Telltale TWD game as opposed to the real life TWD table based on the TV show. At least it has the characters in this one.

STAR WARS 4 PACK SHITASTIC BRIEF REVIEWS!
Han Solo - eat poo poo. Either terrible or I was terrible at it.
Droids - rampfest that I think I would like a lot if I played it more.
A New Hope - initial take is that this is the best of the 4 pack. I could be wrong.
Master of the Force or Whatever - Fast paced. Maybe good. Maybe terrible. Not really sure.
Overall, I think I prefered the earlier Star Wars pack to this. Again though - this is all based on a single game of each.

Guardians of the Galaxy - I just finally saw the movie about two weeks ago. Has nothing to do with this table, but it's true. I also know nothing of the source material for the comics related FX2 tables, so I generally base my enjoyment of them solely on the flow or whatever. I liked this one. Will definitely fire it up again the next time I bother to play FX2.

There you go. My 2 cents. (Worth 1.5)

Edit - Holy crap is FX2 a tilt happy game compared to TPA. I play with a game pad and use the left thumbstick for nudging. I'm either way too aggressive with it or FX2 doesn't take it being analog into account. I went from zero to DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN OR I WILL TILT more or less every time. If TPA's Central Park were on FX2 my average game would amount to five tilts and roughtly 30 points.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The thing with FX2's tilting is that it's timer based not ball based. That is, if you get a second warning, if you wait [some amount of time?] and nudge hard again you'll just reset back to first warning. I haven't figured out exactly how long to wait but I'm pretty sure it's less than 30 seconds.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 10, 2014

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

cosmicjim posted:

I think you are better off. Save up $2k and get something good.

Thanks man. I just wish my childhood favorite, Star Trek TNG, wasn't one of the best tables ever and was cheaper than it is. But on that note, its price is up there for a reason and I will have it one day.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lone Goat posted:

The thing with FX2's tilting is that it's timer based not ball based. That is, if you get a second warning, if you wait [some amount of time?] and nudge hard again you'll just reset back to first warning. I haven't figured out exactly how long to wait but I'm pretty sure it's less than 30 seconds.

I think it's just as long as the warning is on the display.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

What a waste. Why not do that for loving BONEBUSTERS

breaks
May 12, 2001

elf help book posted:

I think it's just as long as the warning is on the display.

Nah it's definitely longer than that, 15-30 seconds for a warning to decay. There are some tables where it seems to decay more quickly than others.

It is possible to do a smaller nudge with the analog stick that won't cause a warning but I find it a bit difficult to do reliably. It is definitely not like TPA where you can bash it all the way and not get warned, but on the other hand they do decay completely instead of lasting the rest of the ball.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do not even ask posted:

Cause then they'd have to make a whole new table rather than just reskin. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Do not even ask posted:

Ghostbusters on a BoneBusters would be awesome, but they'd have to license the layout and ROMset of BoneBusters and they wouldn't expend the time and money for that.

I could actually picture a Ghostbusters themed Gottlieb-Premier table from the 80's and/or a conversion kit for an existing table.