Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

XyloJW posted:

Are you suggesting Huffington Post was wrong?!...

The Cul De Sac one was an oil painting. This is the first cartoon he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Lyndon J. Bohnson was a bad president.

What? Enfranchising people makes them like you? If you keep them from getting lynched they'll vote for you? Sounds like dirty politics to me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'll say this much for Penny Arcade- considering that their niche could have easily been filled by Scott Kurtz or Tim Buckley, we could have done much worse than Tycho and Gabe. They actually changed their lovely art when they could have continued marketing it to the present day. This was what they rode to success on-

(I consider myself slightly better than the other derailers since I'm at least posting political cartoons as per my commentary)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cafel posted:

What? Enfranchising people makes them like you? If you keep them from getting lynched they'll vote for you? Sounds like dirty politics to me.

You don't get it, man. You're not supposed to promote policies that help people, that's not how you're supposed to win their votes. You're supposed to win them with massive ad campaigns bankrolled by libertarian billionaires who attack your opponents as communofascist Hitlers.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
An action should not be considered good if the actor had an evil intent. A Kantian Cartoon.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

achillesforever6 posted:

Heh I can hear it in his voice too

Goldblum surprisingly does a good Satan based on his performance in Mr. Frost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqL7YTrrPw

he can also be pretty LF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WepSpYTU1F0

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skill? SKILL? If you want to put "honesty" or "integrity" or "sportsmanship", fine, but loving SKILL?

Noted unskilled ballplayers Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds. Right. This guy doesn't know jack poo poo about baseball and shouldn't draw cartoons about it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mellow Seas posted:

Skill? SKILL? If you want to put "honesty" or "integrity" or "sportsmanship", fine, but loving SKILL?

Noted unskilled ballplayers Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds. Right. This guy doesn't know jack poo poo about baseball and shouldn't draw cartoons about it.

You can be really skilled, but if you don't use steroids, you're at a disadvantage competing at that level? That's how I understand it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

If everybody was using steroids (which is how this is starting to look), wouldn't they have all been on the same level playing field? I mean, granted, it sucks for the guy who wants to have a pro baseball career without shriveled testicles, but if it's roids versus roids some skills are still necessary. Technically speaking Babe Ruth was pretty hugely advantaged by segregation, which meant he never had to face off with high quality players in the Negro League. But that doesn't mean he lacked skills.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PEDs basically helped the players recover from injury and play more. Steroids don't hit home runs.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Lyndon J. Bohnson was a bad president.

While the Republicans said "Who needs friend of the family votes? We've got all these angry Southern crackers to vote for us now. :smug:"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Darkman Fanpage posted:

While the Republicans said "Who needs friend of the family votes? We've got all these angry Southern crackers to vote for us now. :smug:"

Every election year since

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Actually, I was thinking LBJ LJB's quote would make a pretty fitting campaign slogan for many of today's GOPers.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does anyone have that Sorenson with James Madison evilly rubbing his hands together now that his devious plan to make people vote for what they want is now in effect?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The LBJ quote comes from an Air Force One steward who was interviewed in a dishy book thirty years after the fact. Not nothing, but shaky regardless.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

MisterBadIdea posted:

The LBJ quote comes from an Air Force One steward who was interviewed in a dishy book thirty years after the fact. Not nothing, but shaky regardless.

Yeah, I googled it and all that came out was angry conservatives yelling about entitlements and how "liberals are the real racists" so I'm surprised it even had that much grounding in reality.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This comic is all kinds of special, it must be an edit. Come on, post the real thing.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

He seems to have fixed it but I'm gonna remember Lyndon Jaines Bohnson until the day I die. Thanks, Chris!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Babby Dials drew something for the first time in like 3 months

Not really worth the wait :geno:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

You can't really get a more literal modern version of "swords to plowshares". Read your bible, Warren.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

colonel_korn posted:

This doesn't make any loving sense, what do they want Obama to do about Ukraine? The only thing I could see the US doing which would have any impact would be offering them a huge rear end economic aid package, which is never going to happen because we don't really have a compelling stake in Ukraine. Why doesn't the cartoonist offer suggestions instead of saying 'Obama dumb'?

Fake edit: I just noticed that cartoon is dated 2-22, so before Yanukovych's government fell apart and he fled the capital. I can see Dials really had his finger on the pulse of the situation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My favorite thing about all these people decrying cutting military spending yet bemoaning too much spending is that the Army has begged congress to stop giving out contracts to make tanks because they have so many they can't use there are tanks that are literally falling apart after having sat unused for years. But congress keeps hanging out contracts for more tanks! Clearly the military doesn't need its spending cut!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Look, we're going to kick so much rear end when World War III breaks out. It'll happen one of these days, just you wait...

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

MisterBadIdea posted:

And given LBJ's attitudes about race from all the way back to when he taught at a segregated school for latinos, it would be extremely out of character.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Um, I'm pretty sure that's an aerial shot of an air and space museum's storage, not our actual current weapon systems. For one thing, it's namede on the watermark in the middle of the image.

colonel_korn posted:

Man, that metaphor was old when Dials was born. And if anyone is going to abuse it, it should be Cagle, who has painstakingly copied the exact same checkers vs chess sketch with every possible configuration of living, historic, mythological and symbolic players.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

Both countries play with completely different rules, skillfully. AGC.

This metaphor has been incorrect since its inception and people should stop using it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I feel terrible for making this. :smith:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

XyloJW posted:

There's a bit more to it than that, and to their immense credit, I can't think of any other webcomic that hasn't missed a single update, especially over the course of 16 years.

Good god, how did me posting about Bill Watterson end up with a Penny Arcade derail?

Back in the good 'ol days of web comics when you could slap an image up that said something like "No comic today I am not feeling that well/overslept/got high, but I'll be back tomorrow!" and then skip updates for a week.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

itskage posted:

Back in the good 'ol days of web comics when you could slap an image up that said something like "No comic today I am not feeling that well/overslept/got high, but I'll be back tomorrow!" and then skip updates for a week.

Well that's fair enough. I mean, it's not tomorrow yet, is it?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Discendo Vox posted:

Um, I'm pretty sure that's an aerial shot of an air and space museum's storage, not our actual current weapon systems. For one thing, it's namede on the watermark in the middle of the image.

It's actually the AMARC Boneyard in Tucson, AZ. Most of the aircraft kept there are Vietnam era, some older than that. But yeah, not really representative of current US military inventory.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StealthArcher posted:

I feel terrible for making this. :smith:

lmao, also is that really zed full name? Jesus.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

I just went for some sort of religious floralized name for him.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

colonel_korn posted:

As per most of Lil Babby Dials toons if you stare at the perspective long enough you get a brain aneurysm

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Tom Guycot posted:

No, that would be stupid. It's Zedediah.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

There is no possible place in the world they are looking at this scene, except an airplane graveyard where freshly built tanks and planes were just dumped cause they're already obsolete.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bennett posted a cartoon about the inner conflict boiling within David Dees.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That Bennett's wonderful.

This is a local MacKay. There's a government-run corporation, Metrolinx, which is responsible for a massive ongoing investment in transit infrastructure in the Toronto area. I guess MacKay (or at least one of Hamilton's city councillors) is upset that Hamilton isn't getting as much investment as the other cities.

For the record, this is the same councillor featured in this earlier MacKay cartoon:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

loquacius posted:

Bennett posted a cartoon about the inner conflict boiling within David Dees.

I don't actually know if dees would believe in bigfoot or nessie. Like as far as I can tell, if its not a government conspiracy, its nonsense to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

obama stating truths. a factual cartoon

• Locked thread