Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...

delicielilfishe posted:

Amazing cakes

Holy moly! These are unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
delicielilfishe, you could go into professional cake decorating if you haven't already. Those are really friggin amazing! I love your fleur-de-lis.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Holy cow, nice job, delicilifishe!

I've also just been asked by a friend to do the cakes for the wedding! And she has no idea what she wants in terms of anything. Says she doesn't even like cake. This should be interesting...

delicielilfishe
Oct 22, 2010

Dancingthroughlife posted:

delicielilfishe, you could go into professional cake decorating if you haven't already. Those are really friggin amazing! I love your fleur-de-lis.

thanks! I just do it at home right now. Friends do order cakes from me but nothing serious. I have been doing it since March, so maybe one day I will have a bakery or something :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I went on a candlelight tour of Mount Vernon last weekend and was given a recipe card with a scaled-down version of Martha Washington's famous Ephiphany cake. The original called for forty eggs, but it was meant to feed a huge household. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but the modernized version still calls for ten eggs, a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, over a pound of flour, and over a pound of fruit, among other things.

This thing scares the poo poo out of me, but also sounds delicious. This may be what finally inspires me to buy a kitchen scale, because I buy my flour and sugar in five-lb. bags and am always hesitant about weight-to-volume conversions.

I am definitely going to make it sometime during the Christmas season, so I will report back with results!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

RazorBunny posted:

I went on a candlelight tour of Mount Vernon last weekend and was given a recipe card with a scaled-down version of Martha Washington's famous Ephiphany cake. The original called for forty eggs, but it was meant to feed a huge household. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but the modernized version still calls for ten eggs, a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, over a pound of flour, and over a pound of fruit, among other things.

This thing scares the poo poo out of me, but also sounds delicious. This may be what finally inspires me to buy a kitchen scale, because I buy my flour and sugar in five-lb. bags and am always hesitant about weight-to-volume conversions.

I am definitely going to make it sometime during the Christmas season, so I will report back with results!

That sounds a little scary, but not too different from a traditional pound cake, depending what the "other things" are. If it turns out tasty, be sure to post the recipe too!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

That sounds a little scary, but not too different from a traditional pound cake, depending what the "other things" are. If it turns out tasty, be sure to post the recipe too!

I've never had pound cake with fruit in it, but it's entirely possible.

The other ingredients are basically spices and booze, it doesn't have any kind of leavening agent. We'll see what happens I guess.

I've decided to make one for the bake sale we're doing at work next week. That way if it's awful I don't have to eat it ;) If it's good, I'll make another for the big Christmas bash I'm throwing.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

RazorBunny posted:

I've never had pound cake with fruit in it, but it's entirely possible.

The other ingredients are basically spices and booze, it doesn't have any kind of leavening agent. We'll see what happens I guess.

I've decided to make one for the bake sale we're doing at work next week. That way if it's awful I don't have to eat it ;) If it's good, I'll make another for the big Christmas bash I'm throwing.

Historic baked goods are awesome. They're usually pretty crappy (google Canadian world war II cake :( ) but the fact that they've survived until now is pretty drat cool. You've got to let us know how it comes out!

So, we just finished up running a cupcake contest for Movember. The entries were all really good, but only three were chosen for the bake off:

A vanilla-chocolate swirl with a flour-based frosting (pretty bland, but the frosting was good), beer spiced cake with a beer custard and caramel buttercream and a soft pretzel on top (the winner), and a beer spiced cake with matcha and beer icing (the runner up).

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
Oh no, I think I made a mistake.

I was trying to make cakeballs tonight, super easy recipe right? I think I hosed it up.
I used boxed lemon cake mix and crumbled it when it was cool. It seemed really moist but I assumed that was okay. I had to make my frosting because I forgot to buy a can. But it had the same consistency, it was just a buttercream. So when I mixed it all together, it had a very similar consistency to maybe a cookie batter? It was kind of runny and gross. I threw it in a bag and put it in the fridge to deal with tomorrow. I saw pictures of it after the frosting's mixed in and it looks so solid. But mine is like lemon cake soup.
I haven't seen anything online if that's happened before, so I'm a little worried I'll have to toss it all in the trash.

Is this normal? Or should I just toss it and start over?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
If your "buttercream" is made with powdered sugar, then just add a bit more until you get the consistency you need.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MallcoreMotion posted:

Oh no, I think I made a mistake.

I was trying to make cakeballs tonight, super easy recipe right? I think I hosed it up.
I used boxed lemon cake mix and crumbled it when it was cool. It seemed really moist but I assumed that was okay. I had to make my frosting because I forgot to buy a can. But it had the same consistency, it was just a buttercream. So when I mixed it all together, it had a very similar consistency to maybe a cookie batter? It was kind of runny and gross. I threw it in a bag and put it in the fridge to deal with tomorrow. I saw pictures of it after the frosting's mixed in and it looks so solid. But mine is like lemon cake soup.
I haven't seen anything online if that's happened before, so I'm a little worried I'll have to toss it all in the trash.

Is this normal? Or should I just toss it and start over?

Too much frosting and not enough cake?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

PezMaster posted:

Historic baked goods are awesome. They're usually pretty crappy (google Canadian world war II cake :( ) but the fact that they've survived until now is pretty drat cool.

I wondered about that, but given that this cake was like Martha Washington's culinary claim to fame, I imagine it's probably much tastier than some of the other historic recipes. Or not, who knows.

The lady organizing the bake sale said since it's a "gourmet" or "specialty" cake, she thinks she can sell it for $2 a slice. I'm going to make it in a 10" bundt pan, and cut it into fairly small slices, so hopefully I can raise a goodly amount with it. The proceeds from the bake sale go to Fisher House.

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006

Slate Slabrock posted:

Too much frosting and not enough cake?

Yeah. I weighed out 16oz of frosting to match the recipe, but it was like goop this morning. I tossed it and bought the right things this time.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
I thought I'd try and document the stages of a cake from beginning to completion. I'm doing a white Toyota Rav4 cake for my little cousin who is turning 16. I would have died if I didn't have Mike McCarey's Cakenology DVD to guide me.

To begin: Bake the cake. I have here rainbow batter:

I ended up making 4 9x13" layers. Here they are , leveled and ready to be filled and stacked.

These are the patterns I am using as reference material (they're laminated with packing tape to avoid tearing and water damage. I was lucky enough to find a free scale vector of the car I was doing, but a side and top view photo of your car should work adequately.

After your cake is baked, you'll need buttercream.

Fill and stack the layers of cake.

Make sure your pattern fits within the boundaries of the cake:

Adhere your pattern to the cake with a bit of buttercream and carve to fit the pattern, just from the side view.

Crumbcoat and let set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Then, carve away the sides to the top pattern.

Crumbcoat the entire cake really well; I used 3 or 4 additional thin layers of thinned buttercream applied with my hands.

Materials you will need for the following steps: modeling chocolate, rolling pin, textured rolling pin, long stick pin, fondant (color of car and black), gumpaste, gumpaste tools, x-acto knives, paring knife, luster dusts and powdered food colorings, a ruler, various sizes of circle cutters, edible silver glaze, edible pearl spray.

Now you need modeling chocolate.

I used black for the grille, blue for the windows and windshields, and ivory for the body of the car. According to your patterns, cut the modeling chocolate where the cake needs additional dimension (the front bumper, the wheel wells, the windows and windshields. Here is the car from the front and side with the modeling chocolate added.

Now cover the car in fondant, taking care to enhance all the details underneath from the modeling chocolate.

Start to cut away the fondant (but don't cut through the modeling chocolate) on the front bumper for the grille.

Using the patterns, cut away the fondant on the windows and windshields.

Cut out the cardboard under your cake where your wheel wells will be.

Cut out your wheel wells from the cake.

Now is the time to place the cake on the prepared board, for which you need the large display board and a small 1/2" thick piece of foamboard, which has been spray-painted black with a foam-safe paint.

The foamboard is to elevate the cake a little so the wheels (made from modeling chocolate) can sit in place. I placed some black fondant over the wheel well cutouts.

So now the wheels can be added.

Other various details were added: modeling chocolate side mirrors, painted with luster dust, fondant door handles, a spare tire on the rear, a bumper sticker, a license plate with the birthday boy's name on it, an antenna (a length of angel-hair pasta painted with silver), tail lights were painted on with luster and petal dusts in red, orange, and silver, gumpaste roof rack and rear bumper, and headlights.

The headlights were LED balloon lights that had a little battery already in them. They worked perfectly for this project.

This is the finished cake from the front, side, and rear.

RedThren
Dec 2, 2010
WOW! You all have posted some amazing cakes, and I love the step by step photos!

So, after reading this thread, I was inspired to try myself. No pictures were taken, because it was an epic fail and I obviously need lots and lots of practice.

I do have a quick question, though - How do you all level and shape cakes without ending up with a crumby mess? I used a bread knife. Does the wire cake leveller work better?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

frankdiabetes posted:

I am awesome and so are my cakes!

OMG it looks great! I've got an older model Rav, too (green and 4 doors) and seriously, looks SO MUCH like my car!

Valeria Victrix
Nov 4, 2009

Valeria Victrix posted:

This looks awesome. I'm thinking of doing something similar for my fiance's birthday at the end of the month. His favourite icecream flavours are maple walnut and orange pineapple...any thoughts on what kind of cake to use?

Cake report: I went with the maple walnut ice cream and a spiced coffee cake with a wee bit of cocoa added, and iced with dream whip. It turned out lovely, and the fiance was tickled pink. If I did it again I think I'd add a chocolate layer between the ice cream and cake layers - either a chocolate fudge of some kind or just a cookie crumble. I'd post a picture of the finished product, but it got eaten, so it's not very pretty now.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Just a pretty sheet cake I did at work today. I love doing chocolate base icing with bright colors!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Okay, so, I am silly and didn't get a picture of the cake. I sliced it before frosting it, so that it's more convenient for the bake sale, so it's not very pretty. I've got it in the oven to let the icing harden.

One slice would not fit on the plate I transferred it to, so we parceled it out and ate it. It was fantastic! It didn't taste heavy or anything, it was very nice.

Here is the recipe:

10 eggs
1 lb. sugar
1 lb. butter
1 1/4 lbs. (20 ounces) assorted fruit and nuts
1 1/4 lbs. (20 ounces) flour
2 1/2 tsp. ground mace
2 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 oz. wine
2 oz. French brandy

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Separate egg whites from yolks and set yolks aside. Beat egg whites to a soft peak. Cream the butter. Slowly add the beaten egg whites into the butter, one spoonful at a time. Slowly add the sugar, one spoonful at a time. Add in the egg yolks. Add the flour, slowly. Add wine and brandy. Fold in the fruit. (In the original recipe, they recommend adding the fruit and THEN the wine and brandy, but I think I got a smoother combination the other way around.)

Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch cake pan. Pour batter into pan and bake about 75 minutes. Allow to cool.

I used one golden delicious apple, one gala apple, one Granny Smith apple, one bosc pear, and about a half cup of zante currants as my fruit. They also recommend almonds or other nuts, or substituting dried fruit for fresh. Personally I liked how the pieces of fruit came out in the final product, not sure dried would come out quite as nice.

Icing:
Beat 3 egg whites and 2 tbsp powdered sugar. Continue adding powdered sugar until you have used 1 1/2 cups. Add 1 tsp lemon peel grated and 2 tbsp orange-flower water. Beat until the icing is stiff enough to stay parted when a knife cuts through it. Smooth it onto the cake. Let it dry and harden in a 200-degree oven for one hour.

I didn't have any orange-flower water, and there wasn't any at the store when I went to get the fruit, so I actually used amaretto. Came out great! I had way more icing than the cake actually needed, though, even after really drenching it.

I baked mine in an angel food cake pan with a bottom that slides up, to make slicing easier. The recipe card suggests a spring-form pan, but I don't own one. The outside of the cake was slightly crunchy and beautifully brown, and the middle of the cake was soft and moist.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Hey, I made a cake today!

One of my friends is Japanese and I wanted to make her a Christmas Cake for the holidays. I kind of ended up with a basic "cute" cake, but it's delicious. I used this recipe and I'm definitely going to use it again. I did everything and it finished in under two hours.

Sorry for the crappy pictures and the gross counter tops

I only have a square cake pan, so I took it and sliced it into 3 individual slices for 3 of my friends.

I did some Chinatown bakery fancy poo poo on top.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cake goons! I have a query for you. I am going to be attempting to make a red velvet cake from scratch in the next couple of days and I really want it to be that super awesomely rich red that I've seen. The only problem is, most scratch red velvet cakes I've come across are more pink. What's the best way to make sure the red is good and deep. I have access to food color gel but I can't seem to find a recipe that doesn't call for tablespoons worth of normal red food coloring. I'd like to try replacing the food coloring with the gel but I don't want to throw off the liquid ratios. Any help?

And to share, here is a very ugly rainbow cake I made for my friends who graduated this week:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

frankdiabetes posted:

Awesome

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Shnooks posted:

Asian cake.

Oh, thank you for this recipe. I love the bakery in Chinatown and have wanted to replicate their sponge cakes for awhile.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

tokidoki posted:

Oh, thank you for this recipe. I love the bakery in Chinatown and have wanted to replicate their sponge cakes for awhile.

No problem. Mine came out a little less fluffy than the Chinatown cakes, but it was pretty close.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Egad! posted:

Red Velvet Cake

Got this from AllRecipes.com. It's so red, you'll be making GBS threads weird colours. Also, two ounces is two of the small bottles, so it's quite a lot.

I also included the icing directions although I failed miserably when I attempted it.

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

Grease two 9 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring. Set aside.
Combine the buttermilk, salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the cocoa mixture. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. Stir together baking soda and vinegar, then gently fold into the cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To Make Icing: In a saucepan, combine the milk and 5 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy, then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture, beating until icing reaches spreading consistency.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?
Saw this on tumblr, thought of this thread:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What do you cakey people think of shows like Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes? They're totally a guilty pleasure for me :3: Makes me want to do more baking!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Susan Calvin posted:

Best cupcake ever.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
Preface: I'm no expert on cakes D:

I made some really nice sumatra coffee mead, that retained a lot of the honey qualities and sweetness. Can anyone recommend me a way to produce a cake with that, be it in the batter or in the icing?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

TheUglyWingman posted:

I made some really nice sumatra coffee mead, that retained a lot of the honey qualities and sweetness. Can anyone recommend me a way to produce a cake with that, be it in the batter or in the icing?
I would try reducing it down and then using it as the base of a simple syrup that you then use to make an Italian buttercream. Something like this one- http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/italian-buttercream/Detail.aspx

E- also using some of the reduced syrup to brush on the layers after baking.

Nair McBoodles
Aug 24, 2003

This ain't nothing but a summer jam. We're gonna party as much as we can.

TheUglyWingman posted:

Do the Italian buttercream and use it with a genoise cake brushed with a lot of the reduced liquid.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You could do a tiramisu-type cake with it and just soak some nice sponge cake in the stuff. I bet that would be tasty.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Do that! That sounds perfect.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Susan Calvin posted:

goon fame itt.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Shnooks posted:

Christmas Cake!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

Not sure if this lady has been posted here before, but here is a Japanese woman (and her dog) with a recipe for cake. It looks pretty good.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Pyrotoad posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

Not sure if this lady has been posted here before, but here is a Japanese woman (and her dog) with a recipe for cake. It looks pretty good.

Hahahahaha! Having that dog there is all kinds of wrong. But it's hilarious.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I am going to attempt mmf for the first time. What type of cake would you guys recommend?
Also that car is amazing, love the lights and attention to detail. :)

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Some amazing cakes posted here, really makes me feel rather inadequate considering how often I bake stuff.

Here's a thing I did a while back. First time attempting piping of flowers and general decorating-ness.

Actually my brother did the majority of the roses :ssh:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
^^ I think that's a pretty cake! How hard were the roses, I haven't attempted them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
These cakes are all :aaaaa: . The ham! The car! I'm totally going to make a rainbow cake when I get paid. I may very well be the only one in the house who eats any of it, but it needs to be made.

Our oven's a bit mad though... it's really old and fan-forced so if you don't turn it around at the right moment, you end up with slanty cakes that don't cook in the middle.

• Locked thread