Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Holy poo poo, 600 damage. :psyduck:

I managed to kill the operator with on a sword path play through when the game came out, and it was frustrating as hell. It's pretty hilarious that you can instantly kill him by taking a shitload of potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Gotta say, I've really warmed up to Iorveth's Chapter 2. Not sure what I'll do in Chapter 3 as Nilfgaard really has it coming, but one thing I don't understand is Dethmold's end in Chapter 2: What war crimes do they execute him for? They have no idea of what presumably happened to the Blue Stripes in my absence.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Gotta say, I've really warmed up to Iorveth's Chapter 2. Not sure what I'll do in Chapter 3 as Nilfgaard really has it coming, but one thing I don't understand is Dethmold's end in Chapter 2: What war crimes do they execute him for? They have no idea of what presumably happened to the Blue Stripes in my absence.

As far as I'm aware Dethmold gets away scot-free on Iorveth's path

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

InvisibleHand posted:

As far as I'm aware Dethmold gets away scot-free on Iorveth's path
No, he's executed right there in Vergen. That's what Shumagorath is referring to.

Shumagorath posted:

The war crimes stuff was nonsense, that's why people thought it was strange that Saskia would order that (I think Iorveth, Dandelion or both say something about that, I forget who it was). Philippa just wanted Dethmold out of the way, and made it happen using her control over Saskia.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 19, 2012

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.
I figured (both Dethmold & Saskia spoiler) Dethmold got executed on Iorveth's path because he knew Saskia was a dragon now

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shumagorath posted:

Saskia orders Dethmold's execution on some vague bs about 'war crimes' because she's under Phillipa's influence at the time. Presumably Phillipa wanted him dead because he had info on her plans with the other sorceresses and how they used Letho to take out that king in the intro CG.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Don't forget that they were aiming to get sorceresses back in Henselt's good graces after the whole Sabrina thing. One of Sile's main missions was basically trying to become Henselt's favorite magic pet, like getting the Kayran juice to fix his junk. Dethmold being dead only helps that goal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
RE: Dethmold, he probably committed plenty of war crimes before we encounter him and Phillipa would know about them through Sile. The fact that Henselt just agrees instead of asking what those war crimes are implies that he is also aware of them, leaving just Geralt as the only person to not know about it.

The only plot hole I don't have an answer for is why does Shilard kill Assire before learning of the Lodge from Triss and why does he say "the emperor will deal with them(refering to both Asirre and the other sorceress)" at the meeting whileone of them is already dead?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Asehujiko posted:

The only plot hole I don't have an answer for is why does Shilard kill Assire before learning of the Lodge from Triss and why does he say "the emperor will deal with them(refering to both Asirre and the other sorceress)" at the meeting whileone of them is already dead?

Letho mentions that The Nilfgaardians first learn about the Lodge through Yennefer. As for the second part the Ambassador probably just wanted everyone to believe this was something they just discovered instead of something they already knew about and were using to soften up the Northern kingdoms for their upcoming invasion.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 19, 2012

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
Patch 3.1 is out.

-Fixed the display of inter-chapter movies in aspect ratios other than 16:9.

-Fixed bugs causing the application to close while opening the credits.

-Relevant Aspect Ratio options are shown in the Configurator.exe if nVidia Surround is supported.

-Game saves from Act 2 created on older versions of the game are now compatible with the Enhanced Edition, which fixes the dwarven mechanism in Vergen.

-Added a fix for .NET Framework 4-related issues for the Steam users.

The game launcher is supposed to patch the game automatically but in case it doesn't:
http://en.thewitcher.com/patch3-1/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Edit: answered above, spoilers removed

Also Chapter 3 just started and I got zero subtitles for the Nilfgaardians. Oh well, they're dead anyway.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 19, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, so in the last phase of the Little Sisters quest, Mavrick just stands there like a lump and refuses to get onto the beach. How do I fix this?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Oxxidation posted:

Okay, so in the last phase of the Little Sisters quest, Mavrick just stands there like a lump and refuses to get onto the beach. How do I fix this?

Make sure that you are actually walking far enough onto the beach. I was surprised by how close to the water you needed to get to activate the quest. If that doesn't work, try reloading a previous save.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Had a cursory check of the first and last few pages of this thread and haven't seen this mentioned - basically, I'm having an issue where the game CTDs when trying to start a game.

I launch the game, get to the main menu and try to start a new game. The loading screen comes up, loads, then just straight crashes to desktop. No error message or anything. I'm running the game on Windows 7 64 bit, I was able to play the non-EE Witcher 2 fine - it just seems to have started since I got the enhanced edition.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Owlkill posted:

Had a cursory check of the first and last few pages of this thread and haven't seen this mentioned - basically, I'm having an issue where the game CTDs when trying to start a game.

I launch the game, get to the main menu and try to start a new game. The loading screen comes up, loads, then just straight crashes to desktop. No error message or anything. I'm running the game on Windows 7 64 bit, I was able to play the non-EE Witcher 2 fine - it just seems to have started since I got the enhanced edition.

Try the patch; the aspect ratio thing might not be playing well with your drivers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaal posted:

Make sure that you are actually walking far enough onto the beach. I was surprised by how close to the water you needed to get to activate the quest. If that doesn't work, try reloading a previous save.

Reloading worked, yeah.

Additionally, where in the hell is the boat for the Act II Mystic River quest? I'm on Roche's path and heard you have to lift the mist before you can find it, but that's still not helping much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Reloading worked, yeah.

Additionally, where in the hell is the boat for the Act II Mystic River quest? I'm on Roche's path and heard you have to lift the mist before you can find it, but that's still not helping much.
You'll run into it on the way to Vergen.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

Reloading worked, yeah.

It's on the Vergen side of the mist. You can't get to there the first time you cross to Vergen, but you pass by it when you go back to Vergen after you lift the mist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Aces.

The game felt way too much like the first Witcher in Act I, and since the first Witcher was joyless tedium all the way down that's a bad thing, but it did pick up afterwards. It does sometimes get a little too experimental for its own good, though. The Eternal War re-enactment was just silly.

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.

Oxxidation posted:

The Eternal War re-enactment was just silly.
It would be incredibly silly if one lacked riposte. Even with riposte it still took me several attempts to get through on dark mode. I actually found the first part the hardest of it kill the flagbearer one.

I may also simply be bad at riposte sword fighting though, as I've been playing an alchemy focused build where I mostly toss bombs/traps and periodically stab things while rolling around like a drunken monkey.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

opblaaskrokodil posted:

It would be incredibly silly if one lacked riposte. Even with riposte it still took me several attempts to get through on dark mode. I actually found the first part the hardest of it kill the flagbearer one.

I may also simply be bad at riposte sword fighting though, as I've been playing an alchemy focused build where I mostly toss bombs/traps and periodically stab things while rolling around like a drunken monkey.

I'm actually right before this part in Dark mode right now. I gotta say, Dark mode hasn't really been too bad so far, probably because I know how to get good weapons/equipment in the most efficient and quickest manners possible now, plus I just loving ignored all unique Dark mode weapons/armor. Weirdly the hardest fight for me so far were the bandits you run into during the Troll Trouble sidequest, because the leader kept sniping me with daggers while I tried to deal with his buddies. I finally realized it might not be a bad idea to use my own daggers (I never used any projectiles during my other playthroughs) and made short work of them pretty quickly. Also the specters during Melittle's sidequest were annoying as hell because they could one-shot me if I wasn't careful. Since Chapter 2 though, everything's been pretty easy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Forgive me if this has come up before, but is anyone aware of a mod that lets you pick up items from slain enemies before combat ends? Waiting around with your dick in your hand for combat to "end" after you've killed every enemy, only to have a lone nekker roll up on you, then another, then another, then another, just to find out that none of them had any mutagens in the first place is kind of a drag.

I sniffed around on the witcher nexus but couldn't find anything immediately obvious.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Hey guys, I just want to say, I loved this game. I just finished it on Iorveth's path and I'm gonna wait a few days and then hit Roche's. The only part of the game I hated was the third act boss. The one on the tower. It wasn't hard, but really boring. I mean, 20 minutes of me dodge rolling and stinging it on the nose? Boring. Would rather have done something like the act 2 boss. That boss was awesome.

But I had some questions about the narrative.

So Letho did everything he did so the Emperor would rebuild the school of the Viper, correct? So, like, do you think Geralt would do the same? Like, in the prologue, Foltest tells him he can have whatever he wants, within reason. Well, Foltest just won a long civil war. Probably captured himself some castles. So why doesn't Geralt just ask for one of the many, maybe one out of the way, and just start training more witchers? All he asks for is to leave.

But maybe Geralt doesn't give a poo poo, because he doesn't seem overly concerned with the dwindling Witcher population, he doesn't seem to be interested in much besides finding Yennefer at the end of the game.

So like, if someone came up to Geralt and gave him an army of craftsmen and orphans and some dinged up old fortress and told him he could start making more Witchers, would he even bother?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

HarveyVdarski posted:

Hey guys, I just want to say, I loved this game. I just finished it on Iorveth's path and I'm gonna wait a few days and then hit Roche's. The only part of the game I hated was the third act boss. The one on the tower. It wasn't hard, but really boring. I mean, 20 minutes of me dodge rolling and stinging it on the nose? Boring. Would rather have done something like the act 2 boss. That boss was awesome.

But I had some questions about the narrative.

So Letho did everything he did so the Emperor would rebuild the school of the Viper, correct? So, like, do you think Geralt would do the same? Like, in the prologue, Foltest tells him he can have whatever he wants, within reason. Well, Foltest just won a long civil war. Probably captured himself some castles. So why doesn't Geralt just ask for one of the many, maybe one out of the way, and just start training more witchers? All he asks for is to leave.

But maybe Geralt doesn't give a poo poo, because he doesn't seem overly concerned with the dwindling Witcher population, he doesn't seem to be interested in much besides finding Yennefer at the end of the game.

So like, if someone came up to Geralt and gave him an army of craftsmen and orphans and some dinged up old fortress and told him he could start making more Witchers, would he even bother?

First of all, I sincerely doubt the Emperor will be true to his word, and revive the Viper school, not unless there is significant oversight. A school of Witchers is one thing no one really wants, a school of Witchers under your thumb is extremely valuable. So Letho may get his school of the Viper, but not in the way he expects or wants.

As for Geralt, he's never really shown much pride in being a Witcher, and he's always trying to leave the "path" of a Witcher. I think he's totally unconcerned with creating more Witchers, and he's never brought up the school of the Wolf on his own, so I don't think he really cares about schools.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Coughing Hobo posted:

First of all, I sincerely doubt the Emperor will be true to his word, and revive the Viper school, not unless there is significant oversight. A school of Witchers is one thing no one really wants, a school of Witchers under your thumb is extremely valuable. So Letho may get his school of the Viper, but not in the way he expects or wants.

As for Geralt, he's never really shown much pride in being a Witcher, and he's always trying to leave the "path" of a Witcher. I think he's totally unconcerned with creating more Witchers, and he's never brought up the school of the Wolf on his own, so I don't think he really cares about schools.

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of Geralt actively trying to get off of the Path. I think it was mentioned a few times in the game, depending on your dialogue choices, that Geralt wanted to abandon his search for Letho and get back on the Path. Then again, the narrative never really goes too in depth into his relationship with the Wolf school after the prologue section in Witcher 1. Another thing is that Geralt may not even know how he feels about reviving his old Witcher school until he regains his memory in full.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of Geralt actively trying to get off of the Path. I think it was mentioned a few times in the game, depending on your dialogue choices, that Geralt wanted to abandon his search for Letho and get back on the Path. Then again, the narrative never really goes too in depth into his relationship with the Wolf school after the prologue section in Witcher 1. Another thing is that Geralt may not even know how he feels about reviving his old Witcher school until he regains his memory in full.

Ya, this is how I felt, specifically that Geralt really isn't sure what he thinks of the Path because he doesn't fully understand his past. I think I remember almost a reluctance to embrace his place among witchers in the prologue of the first game, but that was completely because he didn't remember anything. I'm really hoping that the third game will delve deeper in to this, his relationship with Yennifer (particularly interested how he, Yennifer, and Triss resolve everything), and then him interacting with and developing relationships with more witchers, hopefully less hostile than Letho.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I hate not having quest markers for some quests. :(

Where the gently caress do I learn more about the she-troll? :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Capsaicin posted:

I hate not having quest markers for some quests. :(

Where the gently caress do I learn more about the she-troll? :(
Edit: Whoops, you're in Chapter 1. Sorry.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 24, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Is it weird that I want a Married With Children style sitcom about the troll couple?

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2012

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Am I not supposed to do sidequests in Floatsam right now? I have gone into the cave for Malena, I've tried to find Enderga nests (I can't find them), and I've tried to find the troll stuff, but I can't find them and stuff keeps killing me :(

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think Letho was played for a fool by the emperor and as mentioned he might get something out of his deal but it won't be what he wants. I was slightly disappointed in Letho's motivation, at first I thought Letho might have had some grand vision like removing the corrupt and godawful kings of the north but instead Letho was merely a pawn of another king with a fancy title.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Am I not supposed to do sidequests in Floatsam right now? I have gone into the cave for Malena, I've tried to find Enderga nests (I can't find them), and I've tried to find the troll stuff, but I can't find them and stuff keeps killing me :(
Have you gone to meet with Laredo at his house yet? It's best to do that first, because you get a crapload of XP despite there being no combat whatsoever. Afterward, you'll be in better shape to do the sidequests.

Sorry about my previous post, I thought you were doing a different troll quest. Trying looking around inside the houses of Lobinden (the village outside Flotsam). If you see something interesting, talk to the occupant.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

DropsySufferer posted:

I think Letho was played for a fool by the emperor and as mentioned he might get something out of his deal but it won't be what he wants. I was slightly disappointed in Letho's motivation, at first I thought Letho might have had some grand vision like removing the corrupt and godawful kings of the north but instead Letho was merely a pawn of another king with a fancy title.

I always loved Letho's motivation. I felt like the witchers becoming king's pawns was a beautiful twist; after all, so too had Geralt become a pawn of a king. I could never end up killing Letho, because it just felt like the other side of the coin of a "what if" witcher scenario that Geralt could have just as likely been behind.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Vargatron posted:

I recall Geralt in the first game talking to Triss in act 3 about how he wants to become a farmer or something, because even though his job pays well, he couldn't be at home to raise Alvin (who was their 'adopted son' at the time).

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Edit: I'm a retard.

HarveyVdarski fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 25, 2012

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I assume Kaer Morhen is still standing and Vesemir, Lambert, and Eskel are still there, right? I don't recall W2 ever mentioning what happened to all of them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Voxx posted:

I recall Geralt in the first game talking to Triss in act 3 about how he wants to become a farmer or something, because even though his job pays well, he couldn't be at home to raise Alvin (who was their 'adopted son' at the time).

That is true. I believe both romance options play out similarly in terms of his relationship with Alvin. If I recall, both options are addressed at the end of chapter 4 when Geralt admits that settling down and having a family is impossible due to how he is dragged into the conflict with the Scoia'tael and the Order of the Flaming Rose.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Wiseblood posted:

I assume Kaer Morhen is still standing and Vesemir, Lambert, and Eskel are still there, right? I don't recall W2 ever mentioning what happened to all of them.

Dont they all just abandon it?

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
I just want to say, this game is crazy easy if you spend the extra 30-40 minutes getting super optimized armor and weapons.

Act 1 boss on my first run was so loving frustrating I turned it down to easy.

Act 2 boss took me fifteen minutes, massive chore.

Act 3 boss I didnt even both with on normal, because it was just soo boring. Dodge, strike, dodge, strike, quen, etc.

But I powered through A1B in five minutes with the kayran armor and jagged blade. A2B was dead in before he could use that tornado thing.

I just started Act 3....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'd wager that it's not really your equipment that made the difference, that's just you learning how to play. That's pretty much everyone's experience. Everyone loving hates Letho on their first playthrough, then they kick his rear end on a higher difficulty on their second go.

• Locked thread