Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Huh. Neshek gives up the runs and rosey slams the door. Weird reversal tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

My god that was exhausting. Got stuck in construction traffic for the entire tenth inning. Whew. Magic number down to 2!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

National Broadcasts TodayAll times Eastern. Subject to change and local market.
  • 1:05 pm - New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox - FOX
  • 1:05 pm - Pittsburgh Pirates at Cincinnati Reds - FS1
  • 7:05 pm - Chicago Cubs at Milwaukee Brewers - WGN America

Today in Baseball History
  • 1914 - Cleveland second baseman Nap Lajoie collects his 3,000th Major League hit as the Indians defeat the Yankees 5-3.
  • 1923 - Lou Gehrig hit his first homer in the majors, off Bill Piercy of the Boston Red Sox.
  • 1935 - The Chicago Cubs won their 21st consecutive game and clinched the National League pennant.
  • 1938 - Lou Gherig hits his 493rd and last home off Dutch Leonard of the Senators.
  • 1953 - The St. Louis Browns play both their last game in Sportsman's Park and the last game in the franchise's 52-year history. Fittingly, they lose 2-1 to Billy Pierce and the Chicago White Sox in ten innings for their 100th defeat of the season.
  • 1983 - Tim Raines becomes the first player since Ty Cobb to steal 70 bases and drive in 70 runs in the same season.
  • 1993 - Randy Myers became the first National League reliever with fifty saves in a season as the Chicago Cubs beat Los Angeles 7-3.
  • 1998 - Mark McGwire hit two homers to reach No. 70 in the St. Louis Cardinals' season finale against Montreal. It gave McGwire five homers in the season-ending three-game series. McGwire's 70th and final home run of the season was a line shot over the left-field wall on a first-pitch fastball from Carl Pavano in the seventh.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
It occurs to me that this game might be the second most important start Liriano has ever had in his career.

E: And it's going swimmingly so far :shepface:

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

It occurs to me that this game might be the second most important start Liriano has ever had in his career.

so far so good

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i really think he was going to call him safe until he ran into him lol

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Scob posted:

i really think he was going to call him safe until he ran into him lol

Jim Joyce potentially get a call wrong? Will wonders ever cease?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
hey guys, just dropping in to give a hearty "lol Yankees"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Xenophon posted:

hey guys, just dropping in to give a hearty "lol Yankees"

Seeing Allen Craig get RBI's for Joe Kelly fills me with joy.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
This is probably something wrong with my TV or it might be just me, but the Root Sports footage of this game seems more yellowy than the FS1.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:stare: Jordy Mercer.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

He murdered that ball holy crap

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's happening. Again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I love Cutch ABs when they give him nothing to hit.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's happening. Again.

HOT SNOT WE ARE BACK IN BUSINESS. :toot:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Pittsburgh Kid was a friend of mine

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Godspeed you eyepatch wearing emperors.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's happening. Again.

Unfortunately this is also happening again.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's happening. Again.

It keeps happening.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Andrew McCutchen 2014 MVP

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The Pirates are cool and I hope they win the division

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
The Real Deal Neil!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Andrew McCutchen 2014 MVP

Neil Walker for Vice MVP

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

And Neil Walker is a very good baseball player too

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
gently caress the Pirates.

gently caress the Cardinals.

gently caress the Reds.

gently caress the King.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I feel ill all of a sudden.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Is there a poo poo-eating-grin emoticon? I'm not necessarily rooting for the Reds, because that would be insanity, but c'mon make things easier for the Cards.

Edit: Maybe this counts :smug:

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Considering the Cardinals accidentally won last night, I don't see a tiebreaker game going very well. Ugh.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Man it's going to suck if Pitt has to burn all their bullpen arms this weekend and end up playing 163 and/or the WC game with barely any rest. Surviving that gauntlet would be tough on its own, and then Dodgers or Nats. :gonk:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

tie game going into the eighth we better spend it talking about classy dude derrick jeter

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

tie game going into the eighth we better spend it talking about classy dude derrick jeter

... because if we don't, who will?

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Oh my dear jesus how do you consistantly throw 100mph+ on target
EDIT: Oh.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Am I the only one who appreciates the irony of a player named "Bourgeois" playing for a team called the Reds?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Bruce Bochy has embraced the "gently caress it" nature of this game with the most "gently caress it" lineup he can dream up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Am I the only one who appreciates the irony of a player named "Bourgeois" playing for a team called the Reds?

Nope.

I'm wondering if they'd draft a kid out of college named James Proletariat just because.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Woo, Belt, keep being good! :woop:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

very odd pulling for the reds to score a run

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Walkoff walkoff walkoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Well I'd like to congratulate the Cards on winning the Division two years in a row.

• Locked thread