Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Barudak posted:

I for one, support closer ties between the U.S.A. and the E.U. Perhaps some sort of federal system of states that each follow individual laws unless they violate the federal rules and elect a president and representatives to the national body through a complicated, confusing system wherein no one actually votes directly for the President and most real power is held in numerous committees helmed by career politicians.

So like the UK then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i wish there was an american union and we had free open borders across all the america. rednecks would probably ruin it though and vote against it because they hate brown people or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reason posted:

i wish there was an american union and we had free open borders across all the america. rednecks would probably ruin it though and vote against it because they hate brown people or something.

They blocked the creation of a cross North American highway and instead of reveling in how fuckin cool it would be to have a currency called the Amero they send FW:FW:FW:ONE WORLD CURRENCY so they've already won that fight here.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Reason posted:

We have kind of have that with nafta, and liberals seem to hate it more than red necks.

Expanding it to South America doesn't seem like the best call right now, though.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
*invades Canada twice*
*Invades Mexico twice*

gently caress the Canadians and Trejos we never a wanted union anyways

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

quote:

Cornwall votes for Brexit and then pleads to keep EU funding
Cornwall recieves millions of pounds in EU subsidies every year

The Cornish council has issued a plea for “protection” following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union.

Cornwall, which has a poor economy and as such has received millions of pounds in subsidies from the EU each year for over a decade, voted decisively to Leave.

But this money is now threatened following the severing of ties with the EU.

John Pollard, the leader of Cornwall council said: “Now that we know the UK will be leaving the EU we will be taking urgent steps to ensure that the UK Government protects Cornwall’s position in any negotiations.

“We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the EU programme which has averaged £60m per year over the last ten years.”

European money has helped develop infrastructure, universities and broadband internet in the county. From 2007 to 2013, €654m was given to pay for these projects, the Financial Times reported.

But a statement on the council website posted on Friday said prior to the referendum said the county was reassured by the Leave side that withdrawing from the EU would not affect the funding already allocated by Brussels.

Leave campaigners also promised the county would not be worse off in terms of the investment it receives. “We are seeking urgent confirmation from Ministers that this is the case,” the statement added.

Cornwall, which has a population of just 530,000 people, voted resoundingly to leave the EU, with 56.52 per cent opting for leave – more than the national average - compared to 43.48 per cent voting to remain.

The council said they will now be studying the impact of Brexit on Cornwall, “now and in the future”.

While the majority of Cornwall’s MPs supported Brexit, there have long been warnings on the possible consequences to the county of its effects.

In 2014,Jonathan Lindsell, author of a report on industries benefit from the EU, told the Western Morning News: “Cornwall is a major beneficiary of EU spending so if Britain were to leave then the Treasury would have to take great care in ensuring its local economy was not crippled as a result.

“Not only do Cornwall’s many farmers and fishermen benefit from the Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy respectively, but the county receives tens of millions of pounds a year in structural and convergence funds to support local economic growth and communities.

“In the 2014-2020 budget, Cornwall has been allocated 592 million euros from the convergence fund to assist with further development. If Britain leaves the EU before 2020 the government should seriously consider keeping this fund up.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...f-a7101311.html

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

squidgee posted:

We have kind of have that with nafta, and liberals seem to hate it more than red necks.
NAFTA favors the U.S. though. So it's more like the Let Us Sell You Stuff agreement.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's okay though guys, Genius100 is on the case

Jeez Cornwall, just turn yourself into Las Vegas overnight, it's so simple you loving plebs :rolleyes:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Jesus christ. How can people be this short sighted. This kind of poo poo just makes me angry. All the campaign to leave and just now they are realizing the benefits of the EU?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wait how are they spending a BILLION loving DOLLARS in a county with 500,000 people over 7 years. What. The gently caress. Are they using it to light fires. Like how what?

Yea, I bet you do want to keep getting a billion loving dollars.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if this massive fuckup does not permanently destroy the political careers of the "everything will be fine!" leave camp then nothing matters

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Wait how are they spending a BILLION loving DOLLARS in a county with 500,000 people over 7 years. What. The gently caress. Are they using it to light fires. Like how what?

Well, see, yeah they might get a billion dollars over seven years invested in their county but on the other hand some people with accents might potentially move in down the street so really it's a tossup whether the EU has benefited them at all.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

logikv9 posted:

then nothing matters

I've got some bad news on that front.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

it's pretty easy when you're an irrelevant economic backwater, you just piss away the money on pointless projects that are underutilized and potentially shuttered in five years

politicians love spending money and opening new job centers and roadways and such. how many politicians are around for the five year anniversary

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

A billion isn't actually that much on a country scale. A billion spread over 500.000 Inhabitants is 2000 per head, over 7 years is ~ 286 a year. The UKs yearly budget is over a trillion dollars.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mr. Nemo posted:

Jesus christ. How can people be this short sighted. This kind of poo poo just makes me angry. All the campaign to leave and just now they are realizing the benefits of the EU?

"I am not rich now, I hate brown people moving in, and the loud angry people that agreed with me promised me it would all work out somehow." Same reason we got Trump anywhere near power.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hollismason posted:

It's probably about agricultural subsidies. You know how UK policitians complain about French farmers getting billions a year in subsidies? Well, UK farmers just lost a few yearly billions too. Also i think the English agriculture minister was for brexit and said EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE. He must be happy the people who just lost half their revenue in EU subsidies aren't French farmers or his house would be already covered in cow poo poo as i type this.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

TheBalor posted:

Here in Oregon, we get a voter pamphlet mailed in to us weeks before the election. It has a list of all the ballot measures and elections with explanations and statements from supporters and opponents. You read and make your choices at your leisure, then drop it off or mail it in.

It's a really fantastic system.

We do the same up in Washington state. Another cool thing the voter pamphlet (a magazine sized booklet printed on newsprint) has for policy referendums is non-partisan budget analysis with projected costs/revenues over time.

Do they do anything like that in UK elections?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

We do the same up in Washington state. Another cool thing the voter pamphlet (a magazine sized booklet printed on newsprint) has for policy referendums is non-partisan budget analysis with projected costs/revenues over time.

Do they do anything like that in UK elections?

Yes, they apparently send out Ballots dipped in LSD.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do another vote just because of how many people seem to be thinking either "I didn't think it would actually pass" or "I had no idea what would actually happen". Either way, everyone involved is gonna look really dumb.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
lmao i legit had a dream where i was celebrating for the UK staying in the EU

man i have lame dreams

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hollismason posted:

Are you loving crazy?

Historical context notwithstanding, I'd be okay with (at present) disqualifying voters who don't have a fifth grade education or equivalent qualification (for non-North Americans, you're 10 years old in grade five). That being said, there are too many trick questions in that literacy test because it's specifically designed to exclude people without a formal education. It's not meant as a test of intelligence or political knowledge, and does not function as such.

I'm not arguing in favour of knowledge tests for voting, because it's too easily abused, but to say that any possible knowledge test would be flawed because this one is flawed is foolish. A relevant and mostly unbiased test could be devised, if that were the primary interest of the people writing the test, but we still shouldn't have it because it could be too easily abused in the future.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do another vote just because of how many people seem to be thinking either "I didn't think it would actually pass" or "I had no idea what would actually happen". Either way, everyone involved is gonna look really dumb.

I think this will happen too. Either a second referendum (apparently there is already a huge petition calling for this) or if an early election is called one of the parties will run on a platform of disregarding the referendum result. To be honest I think a some of the high profile 'leave' people like Boris Johnson wouldn't mind this, it gives them a way to back away from the impending chaos without losing face while still making their point that there are a lot of pissed off racists who want immigration reform.

If nothing else this whole exercise might prompt the EU to consider some changes to immigration within the EU because the open borders thing is obviously a huge sore point for a lot of people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Historical context notwithstanding, I'd be okay with (at present) disqualifying voters who don't have a fifth grade education or equivalent qualification (for non-North Americans, you're 10 years old in grade five). That being said, there are too many trick questions in that literacy test because it's specifically designed to exclude people without a formal education. It's not meant as a test of intelligence or political knowledge, and does not function as such.

I'm not arguing in favour of knowledge tests for voting, because it's too easily abused, but to say that any possible knowledge test would be flawed because this one is flawed is foolish. A relevant and mostly unbiased test could be devised, if that were the primary interest of the people writing the test, but we still shouldn't have it because it could be too easily abused in the future.

i am super not comfortable with you deciding who is qualified to make decisions

Imo you are not qualified to make decisions. fight me, bitch

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Summary of leave lies/exaggerations: http://indy100.independent.co.uk/ar...ss--WyxD59VO3Nb

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FilthyImp posted:

NAFTA favors the U.S. though. So it's more like the Let Us Sell You Stuff agreement.

Not according to many people in the US.

(Hint: it favours the most well-qualified and privileged people in all the signatory countries)

No poo poo, I want free money with no strings attached too! Get hosed you whiny, simian nitwits. You voted to gently caress yourselves, now live with the consequences*.

* On the subject of literacy tests, should there be a greater effort to make sure (without necessarily disenfranchising people) that people understand what they're voting for in referenda like this?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourB80IQEes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

If nothing else this whole exercise might prompt the EU to consider some changes to immigration within the EU because the open borders thing is obviously a huge sore point for a lot of people.

What in gently caress's name would be the point of the EU without freedom of movement? God knows that's the only reason I want an EU passport. I'd rather have more options of where to live and work and deal with more competition, rather than a half-guarantee of a lovely job in my own country.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Congrats Brits, you've made me feel relieved about being American. Now excuse me while I die on the street due to lack of healthcare

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hey what are the odds of another vote? Or of a re-negotiation of re-entry. Or of the queen stepping in and saying hey let's cut the bullshit we're not going to do this. Doesn't she technically have the ability to step in if things get really bad and throw down? Maybe we can get an independent Scotland or a unified Ireland?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Let's just Balkanize the isles. Scotland, Ireland, Wales. Maybe Cornwall can get some of that sweet EU money by declaring independence.

Of course, most important is the Isle of Mann

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Historical context notwithstanding, I'd be okay with (at present) disqualifying voters who don't have a fifth grade education or equivalent qualification (for non-North Americans, you're 10 years old in grade five).

PT6A Q1: Can parmesan cheese be called parmesan? (If yes you cannot vote.)

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

gay picnic defence posted:

The open borders thing seems like a huge selling point of the EU though. I still don't understand why it's such a sore spot for people though. I mean, I have an idea, but I'm trying to reserve judgment for more rational ones.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PT6A posted:

NO

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey what are the odds of another vote? Or of a re-negotiation of re-entry. Or of the queen stepping in and saying hey let's cut the bullshit we're not going to do this. Doesn't she technically have the ability to step in if things get really bad and throw down? Maybe we can get an independent Scotland or a unified Ireland?

The queen isn't going to do poo poo, Farage isn't going to go back on the Brexit (that was the whole point of UKIP in the first place), and I don't see how Bozza can go back on it without looking like an even bigger tool than he already does. Scotland's definitely going to be pushing for another independence referendum, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Vegetable posted:

You can't fix that. Best to focus on things that can be fixed.

Sure you can, make better propaganda. Like seriously, the worst thing that can happen with remain is "well, things will stay about the same," while with leave it's an unknown disaster waiting to happen. It's almost hard to believe they managed to lose the messaging war.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Which part do you disagree with? Do you contend that a knowledge or literacy test would be a good idea for voter qualification? Do you feel that the example test is a good test of intelligence? Do you think that, in the modern context of compulsory public education, there is a good reason to permit people with less than a 5th-grade education (or equivalent) to vote?

You can't legally not go to school if you're in 5th grade unless you've already failed five years in a row, in which case maybe it's best that you don't vote.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PT6A posted:

Which part do you disagree with? Do you contend that a knowledge or literacy test would be a good idea for voter qualification? Do you feel that the example test is a good test of intelligence? Do you think that, in the modern context of compulsory public education, there is a good reason to permit people with less than a 5th-grade education (or equivalent) to vote?

You can't legally not go to school if you're in 5th grade unless you've already failed five years in a row, in which case maybe it's best that you don't vote.

NO

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry UK goons, we cant always keep our resident rodeo clown (PT6A) contained in the CanPol thread. Like a dog chasing its tail, he will eventually tire himself out and stop shitposting about the same thing over and over again in circular fashion.

He loves Spain. Did he mention he was there and loved it and wishes he could work in the EU. But mostly Spain. Also he hates indigenous people, childrens hospitals, safe injection sites and leftists. And apparently people who vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So what do you tell a disabled person or an immigrant that has been awarded citizenship that can barely read the language the ballot's in?

• Locked thread