Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

im just really happy that Africa is on the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

randombattle posted:

Anyone else's tapes vanishing? I've lost snake eater and the poopin tape.

you wore them out

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ruggington posted:

just go do some side ops????

Man, it takes me all of ten minutes to do side ops and the peanut gallery just talks through half of it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

im just really happy that Africa is on the soundtrack.

Wtf wait is it? Are you lying to me?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, initially I felt like it was going to be too restricting to only have two primary guns and one secondary gun but now that I'm a fair ways into the game it really doesn't seem that bad. For the record I'm at mission 24 and at something like 43%completion and now with pretty significant gun upgrades and the weaponsmith I have a shocking amount of armament on hand. I've got a nonleathal assault rifle with an underbarrel shotgun and a silenced semi auto sniper rifle that I converted to use AR ammo, giving me a larger stock of ammo at the cost of penetration, that also has an underbarrel grenade launcher on it. On top of this, I also have a semi-automatic handgun converted to fire tranq darts for quick followups and a larger ammo pool than the default tranq pistol. I think next up I'll research the ROCKET FIST and see how well that does me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Finally got Quiet. Had to do it twice because I didn't realize you have to go extract her. There was enemy field of movement right outside the hot zone so I thought it was her. Exited mission area. Durp.

I S Ranked it both times though. No need to cheese it with supply drops. Cheesed it with baiting her in to shots.

Do you have to leave and come back to visit her in the medical strut brig?

Also I still can't find my zoo.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Dangerous Person posted:

As far as soldier nicknames go I think Jack the Ripper is one of the better ones to have.

Yeah at least Jack the Ripper can't be twisted into a dick joke.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goferchan posted:

Wtf wait is it? Are you lying to me?

I haven't actually found the tape yet in-game, but lists circulating the internet claiming to have the full list of music, show it as one of the songs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Finally got Quiet. Had to do it twice because I didn't realize you have to go extract her. There was enemy field of movement right outside the hot zone so I thought it was her. Exited mission area. Durp.

I S Ranked it both times though. No need to cheese it with supply drops. Cheesed it with baiting her in to shots.

You don't actually unlock her as a buddy for a spot, after I think Mission 16 or 17, after one of the first Africa missions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This game really is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2F-PbAEE4

I'm finally become a bad guy. Sick and tired of guys waking up, reinforcement, Ocelot letting me down. Busted out the revolver that he should be using (wtf Ocelot, cowboys don't use upside-down guns that shoot shotgun shells) and am just running around unloading into people with Quiet mopping up (other way around, really). Sometimes I sit a box and wait until three guys come up and then pop pop pop 3 headshots. Can't wait to get the damage upgrade for this thing.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Any one got that playlist shuffler that was posted a few days ago, don't remember who made it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Look Sir Droids posted:

You'll get a side op to visit her when it's time to actually get her in your buddy squad. The zoo doesn't unlock when you're first told about capturing animals -- after you complete a few more story missions, during your debriefing eventually you'll get a notice that you've constructed an Animal Conservation Platform and then it becomes available

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If you wear a tape out can you just go back and get it again, or is it gone forever? I couldn't bear to lose my poop-track.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

goferchan posted:

You'll get a side op to visit her when it's time to actually get her in your buddy squad. The zoo doesn't unlock when you're first told about capturing animals -- after you complete a few more story missions, during your debriefing eventually you'll get a notice that you've constructed an Animal Conservation Platform and then it becomes available

I was already told my zoo platform was built. I just can't figure out how to access it.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

You press a button in the ACC when returning to mother base and it switches MB maps to the conservation platform. I'm using a 360 controller so it's Y for me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hahaha, regarding the spoiler thing on the medical strut:

When you get access to it, check out the layout of the building, and the layout of the room. Try to keep the spatial dimensions in mind.

Now, bearing that in mind, go outside and try to find where you think that interior fits. Where should the window be? Where does the door go?
(There's even a tiny little easter egg/decoration that you can see)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you wear a tape out can you just go back and get it again, or is it gone forever? I couldn't bear to lose my poop-track.

Wait, you can actually wear tapes out? Even music ones? That's awful.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Can you load unconscious guys into the back of the troop transports or any transports?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Faffel posted:

Can you load unconscious guys into the back of the troop transports or any transports?

Yes. You can then fulton the vehicle and it'll take the dudes with it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, you can actually wear tapes out? Even music ones? That's awful.

I haven't seen it yet, but that is what a few people in the thread have reported.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes. You can then fulton the vehicle and it'll take the dudes with it.

Good. I am done with trying to do mission 19 the normal way.

40-ish metres out from the end the soviet gunship shot down the Pequod, the crash of which killed a kid. I got angry.

Edit: Punching 6 kids unconcious, sticking them in the back of a transport truck and seeing three come tumbling out mid-flight is probably the highlight of MGSV so far

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 9, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BillyJoeBob posted:

You press a button in the ACC when returning to mother base and it switches MB maps to the conservation platform. I'm using a 360 controller so it's Y for me.

So you can't go there from MB, you have to be in the heli?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

So you can't go there from MB, you have to be in the heli?

Correct. It's a separate set of struts that's not connected to MB.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So, um, what do Hero points actually do? Does it just affect the FOB stuff? Or does it actually effect the chances of you recruiting high stat dudes?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pierson posted:

Compared to the sneaking suit which gives no noise from footsteps which is a huge and obvious upgrade.

If you aren't sneaking around in a battle dress and D-Walker with a CQC arm and a Flamethrower you're playing the game wrong. :black101:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sheesh, mission 30 is tricky to S-rank. I finally managed to do it in the end by doing a No-Trace run.

That was the last normal mission I needed, so hell yeah, Raiden costume!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So, um, what do Hero points actually do? Does it just affect the FOB stuff? Or does it actually effect the chances of you recruiting high stat dudes?

You get more and better recruits, and it may also influence the stats of soldiers you see in the wild. Anecdotally I started seeing more A++ and S ranks after I hit 150k heroism, but that might be unrelated and just coincided with some postgame trigger, since troops presumably keep getting better and better the more you play.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Seagull posted:

I loving wish but wrong country and time

yeah I thought so

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I still get A-A++ from volunteers or extracted recruits with only 110k heroism. Haven't gotten an S recruit from either outside of the clear rewards for 31 and 46.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Check out this comparison picture I took of my Japanese and U.S. Robot arms. Shows you how much bigger and more awesome the Japanese version is. I might put one of my lighter guns like a glock19 in its grip since I think it could handle the weight. The fingers are much much more sturdy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

yeah I thought so

I had the same though, as soon as I saw his fighting style. Then I did the math.

Don't worry, I'm sure if there had been a MGSVI, it would have been revealed that (this includes a spoiler from MGSV)before the events of MGS2, where they try to recreate Solid Snake's life for Raiden, Raiden's childhood was intentionally modeled on Liquid's.

Also holy poo poo Code Talker's research: This is some crazy Neal Stephenson poo poo where the Vocal Chord Parasite is actually responsible for humans developing language and has been around since the dinosaurs.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Broken Cog posted:

Sheesh, mission 30 is tricky to S-rank. I finally managed to do it in the end by doing a No-Trace run.

That was the last normal mission I needed, so hell yeah, Raiden costume!

There is a very easy way to S-rank that mission: there are tanks all around the base, just hijack one, have Quiet do some suppressing fire, and make a mad dash for Skull Face.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

There is a very easy way to S-rank that mission: there are tanks all around the base, just hijack one, have Quiet do some suppressing fire, and make a mad dash for Skull Face.

There's actually something I'm wondering about this mission: Since it's a "real" story mission, are the security cameras and loadouts of the enemies fixed, or are they adaptive like the rest of the game? Cause I had a poo poo-ton of cameras when I did it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Rocket punch + stun doggy is so much fun

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, re: my own comment on Code Talker's research, do you think Kojima writes this poo poo himself, because it's part of his crazy vision, or is that someone's job? Because that would be the best job ever. "Pretend that you are a scientist and that technology in Metal Gear Solid makes sense: now explain it in layman's terms to the player"

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Snak posted:

There's actually something I'm wondering about this mission: Since it's a "real" story mission, are the security cameras and loadouts of the enemies fixed, or are they adaptive like the rest of the game? Cause I had a poo poo-ton of cameras when I did it.

I had no cameras, so it's adaptive.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Damo posted:

Check out this comparison picture I took of my Japanese and U.S. Robot arms. Shows you how much bigger and more awesome the Japanese version is. I might put one of my lighter guns like a glock19 in its grip since I think it could handle the weight. The fingers are much much more sturdy.

Wait the Japanese CE came with the big one?????

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Damo posted:

Anyone who bought that retarded little baby arm is a real goof ball, god bless them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

a cop posted:

Anyone who bought that retarded little baby arm is a real goof ball, god bless them.

I didn't know you were selling your arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

a cop posted:

Guess I'm a goof ball :smith:

• Locked thread