Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So why are there CPC ads lately on the radio stations in Ontario when the election hasn't been announced? I thought there were restrictive laws about election advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Only when the writ is dropped. It's a wonderful loophole.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cowofwar posted:

So why are there CPC ads lately on the radio stations in Ontario when the election hasn't been announced? I thought there were restrictive laws about election advertising.

Since when have pesky laws stopped Dear Leader from doing everything he wants in the past?

And in the future because at this point Ive already come to accept that voter turnout in this country will once again be dismal enough to hand his rear end another government. :(

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Funny video from my scraping of their account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NezPKrIusg

And the choice screencaps:

I find it so hard to not dance on their grave.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Nova Scotia police foiled what appears to have been a plot wherein a young man and woman were going to shoot up a bunch of people in Halifax and then kill themselves. A 19-year-old is dead in Timberlea, found in a house, and three others have been arrested.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-shooting-plot-foiled-by-tipster-police-say-1.2957279

Police aren't saying who the suspects are, yet.

TERRORISM?

quote:

"I wouldn't characterize it as a terrorist event. I would classify it as a group of individuals that had some beliefs and were willing to carry out violent acts against citizens."

Nova Scotia RCMP Commanding Officer Brian Brennan didn't say what the beliefs were, other than that "they were not culturally based."

Oh okay.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Baudin posted:

Also that he had a number of bipolar tendencies.
Huh. I always thought Harper was on the autism spectrum. I guess he could be both.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Leofish posted:

Nova Scotia police foiled what appears to have been a plot wherein a young man and woman were going to shoot up a bunch of people in Halifax and then kill themselves. A 19-year-old is dead in Timberlea, found in a house, and three others have been arrested.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-shooting-plot-foiled-by-tipster-police-say-1.2957279

TERRORISM?

Oh okay.

Is that code for "they're white and it's post 9/11 and we've forgot about McVeigh so they can't possibly be terrorists even though it's terrorism?"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Everyone knows that white Christians are simply incapable of terrorism.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

No, don't you see? The PC Liberal Sharia Gaystapo have made it a thoughtcrime to call a Muslim a terrorist, so the police have to tiptoe around the issue or be lynched by the UN-inspired, leftist thugs who control everything.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Feb 14, 2015

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ascendance posted:

Huh. I always thought Harper was on the autism spectrum. I guess he could be both.

Tantrums can be part of autistic behaviour.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Tantrums can be part of autistic behaviour.
Oh gently caress yes. I've had to run like hell from an autistic kid because he didn't like the mark I gave him on an assignment.

Edit: This is a very well argued piece:
http://www.special-need-child-canada.com/does-stephen-harper-have-asperger-syndrome.html#axzz3RhQMNaPo

ascendance has issued a correction as of 07:48 on Feb 14, 2015

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

cowofwar posted:

Consider yourself lucky. We've had CPC radio ads multiple times a day on multiple radio stations in Vancouver for at least 2 months. The worst one is the one where the critical woman voice sneers at Trudeau saying "...and the budget will balance itself." First time I heard it I thought it was parody because the and at the beginning of the quote is rather clear and the quote is obviously taken way out of context.

There's also one with Harper speaking about why he got into politics that starts off with a pathetically weak cheer.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Leofish posted:

TERRORISM?

Oh okay.

http://shallow-existences.tumblr.com/ appears to be the dead guy's Tumblr. http://violently-beating.tumblr.com/ is a friend that looks to be uninvolved and is answering a lot of questions about what happened.

http://genesistogenocide.tumblr.com/ look to be one of the other guys arrested. http://cockswastika.tumblr.com/ is the woman.

All those links are :nws: and :nms:. Lots of gore pics, Nazi imagery and Columbine idolizing.

RaspberrySea has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Feb 14, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Cock Swastika

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I didn't even know columbine idolising was a thing, and I was happier 15 minutes ago when I didn't.

I'm happy a handful of nazis are in jail now, at least.

Edit: Christ columbine was 16 years ago. These kids were 3 when it happened.

egg tats has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Feb 14, 2015

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Jesus Christ.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Yep. Pretty sure that a would-be mass murderess with a blog named Cock Swastika marks a new nadir for tumblr. I'm not going to pretend I can make heads or tails of it, though.

Edit: Holy gently caress those blogs are weird. Not sure what this has done for my faith in humanity, but I feel a hell of a lot saner than I did twenty minutes ago.

Edit 2: I say this, but I just realised I wrote my first edit before I even posted this. Welp.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Trying_too_hard.jpg

Jesus Christ

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Great. Today I learned "Columbiners" are A Thing.

That's somethin' else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wait so a group of citizens willing to murder innocent people for their beliefs aren't terrorists unless their beliefs are 'cultural', whatever the gently caress that means? This is according to a commanding officer of the loving RCMP? :psyduck:

Like, I could halfway understand if the criterion was that it had to be for political beliefs, but cultural beliefs is such bad code for the browns.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Feb 14, 2015

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There's all sorts of hosed up people on Tumblr communities that idolize mass murderers, as long as they're halfway attractive. I mean, they'll say they're just doing it to remember the victims, but there's a reason why the Columbine shooters and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev have huge fan groups, but Seung-Hui Cho and Adam Lanza don't.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Now I'm wondering how many Bernardoers there are in this country.

eXXon posted:

Wait so a group of citizens willing to murder innocent people for their beliefs aren't terrorists unless their beliefs are 'cultural', whatever the gently caress that means? This is according to a commanding officer of the loving RCMP? :psyduck:

Like, I could halfway understand if the criterion was that it had to be for political beliefs, but cultural beliefs is such bad code for the browns.

That's what stuck with me last night, this definition of not-terrorism. I mean, there wasn't anything being reported last night, but I guess if they lack a connection to a larger network, maybe? For now it appears to be a couple of hosed-up kids who wanted to be mass murderers. If their only goal was to kill a bunch of people and get their names in the papers and the history books I can see how that wouldn't be "terrorism" by its usual definition of something that attempts to terrorize for political aims.

Still, a crazy story, and I'm at least glad a bunch of innocent people aren't dead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

senae posted:

I didn't even know columbine idolising was a thing, and I was happier 15 minutes ago when I didn't.

Mark Ames wrote about it a bit in 2001 in Going Postal. The idea being that Harris and Klebold were losers who attacked the institution of their school, and in doing so made themselves into heroes for a lot of other dweeby losers who found themselves on the rear end end of their respective school hierarchies.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
In a world without the hosed up reinforcement loop that sites like Tumblr offer to the mentally unstable, these two would have realized that they didn't need to kill people on Valentines to make up for their lack of romance, because they had each other all along. Queue "happier" ending. :3:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Rime posted:

In a world without the hosed up reinforcement loop that sites like Tumblr offer to the mentally unstable, these two would have realized that they didn't need to kill people on Valentines to make up for their lack of romance, because they had each other all along. Queue "happier" ending. :3:

hosed up reinforcement? What are you talking about? Tumblr is a safe space for everyone!

Wait, you're right.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Cock Swastika

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

senae posted:

Edit: Christ columbine was 16 years ago. These kids were 3 when it happened.

Well I feel old now. That's like someone my age shooting up their school because of Ecole Polytechnique.

Also now I'm a little depressed that shootings are common enough that I could make that comparison.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bullying-Mass Shooting-Terrorism-Tumblr

I think this is the perfect media buzzword storm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hand Knit posted:

Mark Ames wrote about it a bit in 2001 in Going Postal. The idea being that Harris and Klebold were losers who attacked the institution of their school, and in doing so made themselves into heroes for a lot of other dweeby losers who found themselves on the rear end end of their respective school hierarchies.

Like Chris Rock said: "The loving trenchcoat mafia... they say, 'Oh, we've got no friends, we've got no friends.' I saw the pictures -- there were six of them! I didn't have six friends in high school. poo poo, I don't have six friends now!"

eXXon posted:

Even if it's a dogwhistle, which I'm pretty sure it is, it's not about skin colour or race. No one's worried about Arab Christians, or Hindus, or Sikhs (any more, because obviously they did hatch some pretty bad poo poo in the past) or anyone darker than a paper bag when it comes to this sort of thing: it's about a specific strain of Muslim ideology, which, as we can see from the numerous white converts alone, is not a race thing. If you're going to get upset about something, get upset about that, because it's not about race at all.

Fortunately it appears that the planned attacks had no links to religion or culture, and we can all be happy that a bunch of people who were really fuckin' nuts are now off the street. Hopefully we can study them to figure out what made their brains go all fucky.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Nothing rhymes with orange.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The rhyme seems a bit off, rhythmically, for the last two lines.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Leofish posted:

Talk about foresight :allears:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Leofish posted:

TERRORISM?

Oh okay.

Chatter in the local subreddit is that the 19 year old who killed himself is also the same one who tipped off police. I'm really interested to see how this all plays out when the details are made public, and of course pretty relived that this whole thing was busted. wow.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AegisP posted:

In fairness, that's only the Year 2 product of a 5 year plan.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Leofish posted:

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Hey everyone in BC remember the Harcourt to Clark NDP years

They were really just looking out for you

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Leofish posted:

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Door hinge?

Well, guess the song's over.

Rime posted:

Tumblr, and the internet, obviously helps reinforce really hosed up beliefs and behaviour, but worshipping serial killers and mass murderers isn't a byproduct of the internet age, either. From Jack the Ripper to Charles Manson, there's plenty of people who have become obsessed with awful people.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Feb 14, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AegisP posted:

I'm going to guess that originated as a staffer shooting off something that scanned better like " both of them are / out to screw you" or something similar, and they had to tone it down before it made it to the public.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But both the Liberals and Conservatives basically are looking out for me and my interests! That's excellent, I think I'll vote for one of them!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I don't think they were talking to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Leofish posted:

Sure there is.

• Locked thread