Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I would like to see that same comparison but with unoxygenated wort with olive oil added as well.

I was gonna say, pretty sure New Belgium trialed that and rejected it, but I see the paper is written by one of their brewers so you know that :v: I don't recall why they decided not to switch over to olive oil, if I had to guess it's due to the increased fermentation time. When you're in the business of selling beer, the faster you can get poo poo out of the tank and onto store shelves, the better. Definitely seems like an intriguing alternative for homebrewers, though. There's a good discussion of the topic over on the Pro Brewer forum.

Regardless I think it's pretty friggin cool that a brewery the size of new Belgium is willing to try such wild experiments. Then again if you read the commercial beer thread here you know I'm an unabashed NBB fanboy ;) Sierra Nevada is another one that's always doing original research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There should be tons and tons of scholarly papers on O2 affects on sach. I forget where I remember if seeing the summary but O2 saturated on atmospheric levels is well within the sweet zone for sach growth. Dosing with pure O2 can get to the one true fastest growth level of oxygen but its hardly required.

In more practical considerations some preferable flavor compounds can be attributed to a non ideal oxygen level so just because you can doesn't mean you will every time.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've started using my autosiphon to move my cooled wort from the kettle to the fermenter, and while it's transferring I wiggle the hose around constantly to maximize oxygenation. It's definitely MUCH more effective than just swirling the carboy (which I also do). My yeasts already sprint to the end of fermentation so fast that I'd be afraid of adding pure 02 to the process.

Opened a bottle of Columbus SMaSH (1 oz at 60/30/15/0, 5day dryhop) last night and it was way tastier than I thought it was going to be, even though it finished super low. Anyone else have any SMaSH recipes worth trying out? I like having a session pale on hand for when I'm feeling hoppy.

E: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Chickencheese > Home Brewing Thread III: WE GET IT YOU GET TO HANG OUT AND BREW AT NEW BELGIUM DOC

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Here's the info relevant to us:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Basically 10ppm is ideal for most worts and you can only get to 8ppm via shaking. That's good enough for most beers but I recently switched to a pure O2 setup from Williams Brewing (their setup comes with a stainless wand rather than flexible tubing) and have been getting better fermentations. I'd only worry about this after you have fermentation temperature and yeast pitch rates under control, I think those make way more of a difference.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I really need to begin making starters.
Is it required to get a stir plate, or just the best way to make a starter?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just shake mine whenever I get around to it. Stir bars work better but I haven't gotten around to making a stir plate yet.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ChiTownEddie posted:

Not required but it pretty much doubles your yeast production and, more importantly, makes you look like a mad scientist.

edit: here's a fancy chart

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 18, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Homebrew stirplates are cheap and easy to make. I used some magnets scrounged from a dead hard drive, an old PC fan, an extra USB charger, and a project box from Rat Shack. Works great, and cost me $11 or something. A buddy of mine used an old Tupperware box for his and had all the other bits lying around, so he spent $0 on his.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

If you don't feel like going the DIY route, I bought one from http://www.stirstarters.com/ that I'm pretty happy with.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

crazyfish posted:

If you don't feel like going the DIY route, I bought one from http://www.stirstarters.com/ that I'm pretty happy with.

Seconding this. I've made a few big starters that have sent krausen all over the stir box and it keeps ticking. I realize there's not a whole lot of science that goes into it, but if you have the money and aren't looking to DIY one, it's pretty much the cheapest you'll find out there.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

I've made a few big starters that have sent krausen all over the stir box

Just as an aside, Fermcap works very nicely in starters also. I did a 2-step starter a while ago because I had a 6-month-old smack pack, and while the first step was slow, the second step went nuts - but there was no issue with blowoff.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

Just as an aside, Fermcap works very nicely in starters also. I did a 2-step starter a while ago because I had a 6-month-old smack pack, and while the first step was slow, the second step went nuts - but there was no issue with blowoff.

2-step starter simply meaning you made one starter, and then made another afterwards to propagate even more yeast?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

hellfaucet posted:

2-step starter simply meaning you made one starter, and then made another afterwards to propagate even more yeast?

Yeah, I made a starter and let it ferment out - this was slow and weak because the smackpack was old. Then I crash chilled and siphoned off the spent wort, made more wort, and added that to the cake from the first step. When that one finished, I crashed it again, poured off most of the spent wort, swirled up the cake, and pitched that into 5 gallons of 1.070 beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

I use Fermcap religiously and it didn't help for some reason :(

Like, 5 drops in the 2L flask which had about 2L of wort in it to start. Works great in my boils, but poo poo in starters. Dunno why.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Docjowles posted:

I was gonna say, pretty sure New Belgium trialed that and rejected it, but I see the paper is written by one of their brewers so you know that :v: I don't recall why they decided not to switch over to olive oil, if I had to guess it's due to the increased fermentation time. When you're in the business of selling beer, the faster you can get poo poo out of the tank and onto store shelves, the better. Definitely seems like an intriguing alternative for homebrewers, though. There's a good discussion of the topic over on the Pro Brewer forum.

Yes, they rejected it due to increased fermentation time. I am willing to accept the compromise since I allow every batch to ferment at least two weeks. I am lazy and I don't want to spill wort so the olive oil addition seems to be good for my use. If you read the paper it says that the unoxygenated beer fermented with a tiny amount of olive oil was within all quality standards for their beer. It took 20-30% longer to ferment so it was not compatible with their needs.

fullroundaction posted:

I've started using my autosiphon to move my cooled wort from the kettle to the fermenter, and while it's transferring I wiggle the hose around constantly to maximize oxygenation. It's definitely MUCH more effective than just swirling the carboy (which I also do). My yeasts already sprint to the end of fermentation so fast that I'd be afraid of adding pure 02 to the process.

I don't think this is doing you as much good as you would like since the solubility of oxygen in a hot liquid is significantly lower than its solubility in cold liquid.

Unless you are transferring after your wort is down to fermentation temperatures, then forget what I said.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Seconding this. I've made a few big starters that have sent krausen all over the stir box and it keeps ticking. I realize there's not a whole lot of science that goes into it, but if you have the money and aren't looking to DIY one, it's pretty much the cheapest you'll find out there.

I had this happen like three days ago and I couldn't pinpoint a really funky smell coming from the area where I do my starters - the label on the bottom was caked with gross krausen-wort :negative:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

<olive oil>

Wasn't the amount of oil (almost) unmeasurably small at homebrew scales?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

Wasn't the amount of oil (almost) unmeasurably small at homebrew scales?

For 5 gallons they recommended dipping the very tip of a toothpick into olive oil and then into wort, and it was still essentially overdosing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like beer homeopathy to me.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I had this happen like three days ago and I couldn't pinpoint a really funky smell coming from the area where I do my starters - the label on the bottom was caked with gross krausen-wort :negative:

I think I'll put a layer of saran wrap over the stir plate next time, and put the whole thing on a piece of aluminum foil with the edges turned up to keep the plate clean (on the bottom too, I was lucky enough to check underneath on my eruptions).

Ever since I've started doing the 1.5-2L starters (decanting when I remember to do it) my fermentations haven't really kicked off in earnest until maybe 8 hours after pitching, then go hog wild for about 36 hours, then a rapid decline. I think it just kinda powers through the bulk of the fermentables then trickles along to completion. Previously, it was more of a gradual build-up over a few days, then a gradual slow-down. I have no clue how this effects the flavors, if it does at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still use US-05 for the majority of my beers. Its just too easy, but I've been making an effort to switch over to liquid to increase my yeast choices, but it requires I actually think up the entire brew ahead of time, which can be difficult.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

hellfaucet posted:

This is the one I picked up from my LHBS. I got the O2 tank from Home Depot, in the tools section, near the welding supplies. O2 tank itself was under $10 and supposedly lasts a year or more, you definitely don't need to use much.
I got the oxygenation setup from williams brewing which I like better because it has a cane attached to it. I figured with the regular vinyl tubing it might try to stay coiled and not go all the way to the bottom, and the metal cane guarantees that as well as lets me swirl the airstone around.

The StirStarters plate is a great, cheap, out the door solution. They also provide the instructions on how to build one yourself which costs maybe $30 minus any parts you have already like a CPU fan.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I use a stone on a tube and it is generally fine but occasionally it wants to stay coiled and not go all the way to the bottom. A stone on some type of stick is probably they way to go.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

CapnBry posted:

I got the oxygenation setup from williams brewing which I like better because it has a cane attached to it. I figured with the regular vinyl tubing it might try to stay coiled and not go all the way to the bottom, and the metal cane guarantees that as well as lets me swirl the airstone around.

The StirStarters plate is a great, cheap, out the door solution. They also provide the instructions on how to build one yourself which costs maybe $30 minus any parts you have already like a CPU fan.

I haven't done much shopping at William's Brewing, but drat, that cane makes a TON of sense. You're right about it floating itself to the top, I just kind of finagled with it to keep it down. Looks like they sell the cane separately :homebrew:.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

baquerd posted:

It sounds like beer homeopathy to me.
From what I've read the chemistry is actually sound, it's just that on a homebrew scale the amount needed is on the picoliter scale. Even the toothpick method is putting in 10x or 100x more than is needed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nmfree posted:

From what I've read the chemistry is actually sound, it's just that on a homebrew scale the amount needed is on the picoliter scale. Even the toothpick method is putting in 10x or 100x more than is needed.

I wonder if overdosing it a bit in multistage starters would have a negative effect on the final brew.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Do any of you mead makers out there use marbles to displace the liquid volume in your carboys while aging? Is this really needed?

Also, any issues with using caps to bottle instead of corks? Thanks in advance!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm thinking of switching the Oetiker stepless clamps, but I'm kind of clueless what size clamps to get. 3/8" ID beer line and I believe it's 5/16" ID thickwall for the gas line. My assumption is the 1/2" 13.3 for the beer?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 18, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

PBCrunch posted:

I don't think this is doing you as much good as you would like since the solubility of oxygen in a hot liquid is significantly lower than its solubility in cold liquid.

Unless you are transferring after your wort is down to fermentation temperatures, then forget what I said.

Read the first sentence you quoted :)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

hellfaucet posted:

Do any of you mead makers out there use marbles to displace the liquid volume in your carboys while aging? Is this really needed?

Also, any issues with using caps to bottle instead of corks? Thanks in advance!

I've tried displacing with marbles. It takes a lot of marbles. You can achieve the same thing by pushing out the air with CO2 or nitrogen. Careful racking and proper additions of sulfites will protect against oxidation. If you're trying really hard to avoid them (some people are allergic) then it's an option.

Caps are fine. I put a six pack or two of each batch into beer bottles for sampling during aging.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to get the marbles into the carboy without splashing the wort/must... I'd rather just purge with CO2, gently caress that :effort:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

CapnBry posted:

I have the same thing, when it comes to equipment that makes my life easier, that tops the list. I loving hate shaking carboys.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

I have the same thing, when it comes to equipment that makes my life easier, that tops the list. I loving hate shaking carboys.

I really like the aeration wand. I notice that MoreBeer has copied it and has a similar one now. The thing I really like about it is how easy it is to sanitize a wand - you don't have to disconnect anything and just stick it in some boiling water to make sure there isn't any caked on poo poo inside of it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm thinking of switching the Oetiker stepless clamps, but I'm kind of clueless what size clamps to get. 3/8" ID beer line and I believe it's 5/16" ID thickwall for the gas line. My assumption is the 1/2" 13.3 for the beer?
Your beer line is 3/8" or 3/16"? Standard thickwall 3/16" ID beverage tubing is the 13.3 clamp size. 5/16" ID thickwall gas line is 15.7. My kegeconnection gas distributor (the block kind) came with a 3/8" barb fitting on the inlet and it required a 17.0 to fit over it, and that I heat the gas tubing in some hot water to slide it on.

For completeness, 1/4" ID thickwall tubing uses a 14.5 oetiker clamp.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

hellfaucet posted:

I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to get the marbles into the carboy without splashing the wort/must... I'd rather just purge with CO2, gently caress that :effort:

Put in the marbles first after figuring out how much headspace you have on 5 gallons of whatever.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

hellfaucet posted:

Also consider having to sanitize a whole bunch of marbles, trying to get them into the mouth of the carboy (they get clogged in the funnel) and then afterwards pouring them out into a big bowl or colander and cleaning them off. Then find a place and container to store them until next time. Plus the marbles are tied up in aging for months so you need more for multiple batches. And they make the carboy even heavier than being full of liquid.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

CapnBry posted:

Your beer line is 3/8" or 3/16"? Standard thickwall 3/16" ID beverage tubing is the 13.3 clamp size. 5/16" ID thickwall gas line is 15.7. My kegeconnection gas distributor (the block kind) came with a 3/8" barb fitting on the inlet and it required a 17.0 to fit over it, and that I heat the gas tubing in some hot water to slide it on.

For completeness, 1/4" ID thickwall tubing uses a 14.5 oetiker clamp.

... and the 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD silicone tubing uses 21mm clamps.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Has anyone ever tried Mr. Beer? http://www.mrbeer.com

My girlfriend got this for me for Christmas after I expressed a bit of interest in brewing my own beer. I made my own beer, a "Bavarian Weissbeer" (in quotes because who the gently caress really knows), following the instructions to the T. However, the beer I produced was somewhat weak and really rather thin tasting, nothing like Hoegaarden or Leffe. Did I do something wrong? Is this beer kit just crap? I had to boil some sort of weird goopy mix which I then fermented with yeast, which was not what I was expecting at all, and I'm rather disappointed with the end product.

Is there anything I can do to thicken the next beer I make (a "Mexican Cerveza" ((lmao)) to the point of drinkability? Anything I can add to customize it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

My girlfriend got this for me for Christmas after I expressed a bit of interest in brewing my own beer. I made my own beer, a "Bavarian Weissbeer" (in quotes because who the gently caress really knows), following the instructions to the T. However, the beer I produced was somewhat weak and really rather thin tasting, nothing like Hoegaarden or Leffe. Did I do something wrong? Is this beer kit just crap? I had to boil some sort of weird goopy mix which I then fermented with yeast, which was not what I was expecting at all, and I'm rather disappointed with the end product.

Is there anything I can do to thicken the next beer I make (a "Mexican Cerveza" ((lmao)) to the point of drinkability? Anything I can add to customize it?

The actual Mr. Beer kits are pretty much crap, but all you have to do is not use their ingredient kits and buy your own. Use the fermenter and equipment that came with the kit, but make extract batches with unhopped malt extract, real hops and name brand yeast from a homebrew store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Darth Windu posted:

Since it's an extract kit, your best bet is to make sure you get all the good out of your steeping grains you can by squeezing the bag. That is what really instills most of the hearty flavor (your malt extracts add flavor too, but are mostly a source of sugars for the yeast).

If you are interested in doing a real, all grain beer where you control the variables, I'd recommend using a brew-in-bag setup. Minimal upfront costs and it is much cheaper than extract brewing in the long run.

Since you already seem to have your cerveza kit, you can add whatever you want to your boil to add flavor. Some guys in my local brew club love jalapeño beers, that might fit the Mexican inspired theme you have there... Just Google jalapeño beer recipes and don't be afraid to play around with it.