Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

HB's aren't as big of a hurdle as you think. People still mostly use Mouse/KB for them and you just have to get used to the more unforgiving flight models. You aren't going to go flat spinning out of the sky or anything, you just feel the bombs and plane a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Playing against Japan in HB is horrible

I pretty much play exclusively Brit and the Zeros are almost as fast as a Spit IX, start in the air so they come in at the same level as you, and out-turn you handily. And then then N1Ks are better than you in everyway.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Major accomplishment today: A guy (Airacobra) and I (MC 202) got into a tussle and he ended clipping my wing and his pilot fell unconscious - I guess my wing hit hit cockpit. I ended up living and dying to another airacobra shortly after but I got my first guy to yell at me and cry in chat about ramming. I am disappointed that I didn't screenshot it because chat was very entertaining.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Accomplishment of the day: winning HB as Russians :negative:

I used an American plane to do it, carrying the team with 4 kills. 37mm gets the job done.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I just got teamkilled by Tetsuo in HB, :psyduck:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Brits in HB suck - they get one good plane, and thats the Spit IX, which is tier 10, which can be outrun by all the 109s except the E model, it's still good though.

The Spit II/VB/XIV all suck horribly. The Typhoon IB is ok since it has good guns and can catch a 109F on the deck, but it can't climb or turn.

The Typhoon is a joke, at T16 it gets creamed at anything it goes against.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Lots of fun in HB tonight. I hopped in with my tier 0-3 crap and the mumble goons were happy to pull comparable stuff and squad up. I only got shot down twice, and one of those was a teamkill! Even managed a carrier crash-landing, which I then ruined by bailing out because I didn't realize crash landings were repairable.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Alctel posted:

Brits in HB suck - they get one good plane, and thats the Spit IX, which is tier 10, which can be outrun by all the 109s except the E model, it's still good though.

The Spit II/VB/XIV all suck horribly. The Typhoon IB is ok since it has good guns and can catch a 109F on the deck, but it can't climb or turn.

I'm sure it wouldn't have any problems against the also T16 B-24 :suicide:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alctel posted:

MK XVI owns so hard. MK I Mustang doesn't fly well but has good guns. MK IX is pretty good. MK Ib is tricky but OK.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

mlmp08 posted:

MK XVI owns so hard. MK I Mustang doesn't fly well but has good guns. MK IX is pretty good. MK Ib is tricky but OK.

The XVI has a shitter climb rate and speed than the IX and gets placed into even tougher matches, and the Mustang is a (poo poo) premium

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alctel posted:

start in the air
You've got it wrong. Source: Level 18 Japanese pilot.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

kalstrams posted:

You've got it wrong. Source: Level 18 Japanese pilot.

I thought the map they are vs Brits they start in the air if they are army fighters

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now that I've lived out my fantasy of being a spitfire pilot I guess I can stop and do other nations for HB. :shepface:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alctel posted:

The XVI has a shitter climb rate and speed than the IX and gets placed into even tougher matches

It dives way better.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Alctel posted:

I thought the map they are vs Brits they start in the air if they are army fighters

Zeroes are navy.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Holy shitballs the P-47 is so bad. It's pretty much as fragile as a zero, any shots taken will somehow result in your tail or elevator falling off, which completely makes it pointless to fly. Slow, heavy and fragile.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Rhopunzel posted:

Holy shitballs the P-47 is so bad. It's pretty much as fragile as a zero, any shots taken will somehow result in your tail or elevator falling off, which completely makes it pointless to fly. Slow, heavy and fragile.

They need to add a version with a paddle blade prop. But the biggest issue with the jug in this game will always be that it was built for high altitude fighting. Once you start going above 15k feet, the thing should be turning inside 109's and zooming away from fools. 8200 meters is the best altitude for it's engine, but nobody in WT is climbing that high or fighting there for very long. And with compression not a thing in the game, people can dive with you who shouldn't be.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Test Server is up. And the first F8F gets 4 M3 .50cals :unsmigghh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bolow posted:

Test Server is up. And the first F8F gets 4 M3 .50cals :unsmigghh:

Better than standard .50s? Did they actually add the high explosive round for .50 cal belts?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

They added some new 50 cal ammo for "late war planes." I was really hoping it would be added to planes above tier 10 or so.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Better than standard .50s? Did they actually add the high explosive round for .50 cal belts?

Same .50's that the F86 gets, so they fire at 1200rpm

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love that you can land Zeros without a wing. I flew this baby 15 km before landing.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Attention Imperialists, we have developed nuclear weapons. :japan:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Japanese Nukes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hahaha what the gently caress are those? That looks glorious

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Graphical glitch.

Japanese mobile AAA deployed to an enemy airfield. This gambit by SpaceBanditos won the match for us.

edit: It was Roumba, not SpaceBanditos.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 4, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Razzled posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress are those? That looks glorious

I shot down an SB2 that crashed right into that bridge and suddenly it exploded into a gigantic flare. :cool:

Bruc
May 30, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Graphical glitch.

Japanese mobile AAA deployed to an enemy airfield. This gambit by SpaceBanditos won the match for us.

I've started doing this to start every match on that level with the one neutral airfield in the middle, it's crazy how often it works (basically every single time). One thing that really sucks though at times is if you are trying to really keep it locked down and the game sends you back up in the air after repairs though, is there any way to opt out of going back up in the air? I lost a game last night when it was down to the wire and I landed on one of the 2 airfields, had the other get capped by the enemy, and then had someone else land on the airfield I was guarding pretty much the second I was ported off into the air because I had repaired.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've seen it plenty and done it plenty in Arcade, but I was surprised by how well it worked in Historical. No repairing, and eventually your gunners all die, but it's pretty funny.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

mlmp08 posted:

I've seen it plenty and done it plenty in Arcade, but I was surprised by how well it worked in Historical. No repairing, and eventually your gunners all die, but it's pretty funny.

If someone does this to me can I bomb the mobile aaa to death?

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Yup. That's usually how I eventually die when I do this.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Bruc posted:

Yup. That's usually how I eventually die when I do this.

Yeah. About 5 guys will crash into the ground trying to strafe you, usually getting you a kill credit because your gunners hit them, and then some smartass will detonate you on the runway.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MNKegvTfM

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Expanding on the H6K talk - it isn't totally useless if you don't get a domination. With the 2x 1000kg bombs you can pretty much single handedly destroy an enemy's base if no one pays attention to you, even moreso if the base is covered by clouds. I've won a few rounds that way.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

*finishes landing, steps out and walks over to the wreckage*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFfN5pKzFU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Rhopunzel posted:

Expanding on the H6K talk - it isn't totally useless if you don't get a domination. With the 2x 1000kg bombs you can pretty much single handedly destroy an enemy's base if no one pays attention to you, even moreso if the base is covered by clouds. I've won a few rounds that way.

I'm a bit lost on this--do you just drop the bombs on the runway?

vvv That is good and I must try this tonight.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 4, 2013

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm a bit lost on this--do you just drop the bombs on the runway?

Yup. I generally try to hit near the marker but I'm pretty sure as long as it hits the runway it's good. It's fun carpeting the whole thing with a B-17.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rhopunzel posted:

The 2x1000kg bombs are also great for ground attack missions. The HE type ones take out a bunch of stuff with splash damage, the AP ones are great for those maps where there are fleets. In port, a pair of 1k kg bombs will sink a carrier fairly consistently, a heavy cruiser always, and anything less than that will usually go down with 1 bomb if you hit it squarely.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

mlmp08 should have posted:

Japanese mobile AAA deployed to an enemy airfield. This gambit by SpaceBanditos His Most Rad and Cool Dudeness, Roumba of Roumbria won the match for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I am seriously bad about confusing you two, and I've no idea why.

• Locked thread