Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
FATE Accelerated Edition?

It's free, it's in-print, it's drat simple. Less than 50 pages long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Dungeon world (all he needs to print is GM moves, Basic moves, and playbooks)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Apocalypse World is easy to learn, doesn't unnecessarily rely on RPG know-how as far as I can tell, and portrays the process of play as "a conversation" which I think is perfect.

e: sort of beaten. sort of.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire beginner set? Everyone knows enough about Star Wars to be comfortable playing pretend. It's also incorrect to say someone has no way to get an explanation or demonstration if that person has internet access.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I guess I'm worried more about the pressure of coming up with a story or "stuff that happens." I don't want to underestimate or deride my friend, but I'm not sure if giving them a game, however good, and saying "now roleplay" would work that well.
The reason I thought of the PF box, however lovely the rules are themselves, is that it's fairly clear what's meant to happen and the GM has a lot of things they can fall back on if they start feeling lost or confused.

Although maybe pointing them to some actual plays would work?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

General Ironicus posted:

It's also incorrect to say someone has no way to get an explanation or demonstration if that person has internet access.

Wait, are we recommending RPGs for a space alien? You have to tell us if you're having us recommend things for a space alien. :tinfoil:

Edit:

zachol posted:

Role Playing Public Radio.
Bam.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zachol posted:

So, question, let's say you had a friend living elsewhere who was interested in RPGs but had literally no experience at all, and he was interested in starting up a group with some of his friends.
What specific product would you recommend as an introduction to the idea of an RPG to a completely new GM who wouldn't have a way to get advice or a demonstration from someone with experience? Importantly, what in-print product could you recommend, something where you could say "go buy this off Amazon" or "print off these twentyish pages" without it being something from the 80s?

I was having a real hard time thinking of an answer. I kinda feel like "Pathfinder beginner box but don't ever actually get the PF books themselves" fits but is still an unfortunate choice, and the 4e box/intro adventure apparently wasn't very good.
Gamma World? That had a nice box, right?
Does anyone know how Fiasco turns out if none of the participants are familiar with it or "roleplaying"?
Seriously, 5e starter set.

Friends don't suggest Pathfinder to friends.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Error 404 posted:

Dungeon world (all he needs to print is GM moves, Basic moves, and playbooks)

AW and DW both have outstanding guidelines for the new GM, plus there's the DW Guide to supplement the advice in the books. The GM agendas, principles, and moves codify a lot of things that would otherwise take years of experience to pick up. I say go with either of those as a start.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zachol posted:

I guess I'm worried more about the pressure of coming up with a story or "stuff that happens." I don't want to underestimate or deride my friend, but I'm not sure if giving them a game, however good, and saying "now roleplay" would work that well.
The reason I thought of the PF box, however lovely the rules are themselves, is that it's fairly clear what's meant to happen and the GM has a lot of things they can fall back on if they start feeling lost or confused.

He wants something PbtA - Monsterhearts or Apocalypse World are the best options, Dungeon World if it MUST be fantasy.

The thing is that the PbtA games' hard moves do a lot more for a new GM in terms of showing them how to create story and so on than anything in the Pathfinder or D&D starter sets will. They are clear, they really go through what is involved in actually roleplaying between people, and they give the MC a lot of support without burdening them in work like D&D will.

edit: Keep in mind DW has a lot of baggage that won't mean anything to a new player. Hell, fantasy RPGs in general are incestuous enough to turn someone off from that. That's part of why AW or Monsterhearts would be better - they are far more accessible genres, as well as being better designed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

or quickly reskinnef into Crimson Skies the RPG.

Yeah, that's the reason I'm interested in it.

If you've had a chance to read through it at least, how was it?

zachol posted:

So, question, let's say you had a friend living elsewhere who was interested in RPGs but had literally no experience at all, and he was interested in starting up a group with some of his friends.

What specific product would you recommend as an introduction to the idea of an RPG to a completely new GM who wouldn't have a way to get advice or a demonstration from someone with experience?

Fiasco for sure, just to introduce them to the "making stuff up with friends" angle (it works fine as long as anyone's ever had any experience making stuff up, telling stories or doing school plays - just point out that it's a game about writing your own Coen brothers film). Then, either Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts or Dungeon World, depending on what they like flavour-wise (if they have no preference, I'd recommend AW).

Dropping something like Pathfinder on someone who has never played RPGs is just going to kill their interest in RPGs.

dwarf74 posted:

Please don't recommend D&D Next to people. Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 15, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

dwarf74 posted:

Friends don't suggest Pathfinder to friends.

Pathfinder is actually a better game than 5e.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My thinking was with the limited set of rules given in the PF beginner box the problems wouldn't surface during the relatively short run and, now that the guy has an idea what "GMing" entails, he could go on to a much better game like AW.
Fiasco sounds like a better idea, though, probably.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm tellin' ya, GURPS.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Asymmetrikon posted:

Pathfinder is actually a better game than 5e.

I don't think that's true at all, but I wouldn't recommend either of them to somebody new to roleplaying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zachol posted:

My thinking was with the limited set of rules given in the PF beginner box the problems wouldn't surface during the relatively short run and, now that the guy has an idea what "GMing" entails, he could go on to a much better game like AW.

Pathfinder is going to breed bad habits, if it doesn't straight scare them away from RPGs forever.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monsterhearts and Apocalypse World are really good but Sex Moves are difficult to explain before people run away, Dungeon World is more generic and easily understandable in some ways but gently caress if I'm going to suggest putting any more money in the creators' pockets. Are there any other PbtA games out there that are fairly good and not just poorly reskinned AW (MotW, tremulus)?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'm tellin' ya, GURPS.

Look just because I started out GMing by fuddling through a lovely GURPS "campaign" in my friend's dining room doesn't mean that it's a good idea for anyone else.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paolomania posted:

Oh hey its that "novel world-building" thing I mentioned in my post! So, in the light of "no new plots", what do you mean by "new races"? Staying within a game's balance framework, what will you make that is more than a remix of existing physical and cultural features with a China Mieville veneer?

What are you even saying, "you can't come up with new races it's literally impossible might as well just go back to elves for the 47,000,000th time"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I'd say Fiasco followed by Apocalypse World.

e: or maybe Inverse World with the caveat that the makers of the original DW book aren't worth supporting.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

But seriously, you should start out with something like Fiasco. That game is a great entry to the hobby, and you can customize it to any type of setting you desire (as long as your narrative includes the players loving each other (and themselves) over).

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'd say show them both GURPS and whatever pamphlet you Apocalypse World fans end up deciding is best and let them decide for themselves whether they like rules-heavy or rules-light.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Pathfinder is going to breed bad habits, if it doesn't straight scare them away from RPGs forever.

Pathfinder is like Guinness, it's good for you even if your liver shrivels up and dies and you drink away all your money and wander the streets forever more homeless and perennially smelling of drink.

Tollymain posted:

Monsterhearts and Apocalypse World are really good but Sex Moves are difficult to explain before people run away, Dungeon World is more generic and easily understandable in some ways but gently caress if I'm going to suggest putting any more money in the creators' pockets. Are there any other PbtA games out there that are fairly good and not just poorly reskinned AW (MotW, tremulus)?

Honestly I'd go with the FATE Accelerated guy, it might not be the freshest FATE variant but it's simple and does the job.

Also what happened with the Dungeon World guys?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Tollymain posted:

Is there something wacky about the folks who made Dungeon World? I wasn't aware of any controversy there.

I know that half my current group would immediately veto anything with 'sex moves' the second they become aware of it, no matter if it's a small part of the game or not. Definitely not an area my players want in our games. I also have a largely female group, so they've had some bad experiences in that regard in the past and I want them to feel comfortable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

3.x causes brain damage don't give your friend brain damage

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I'm thinking Fiasco makes a lot of sense in terms of introducing the concept of roleplaying in general.
Does anyone have ideas about the Gamma World box? I remember everyone raving about it when it came out.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I absolutely love the Gamma World 7e box, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find nowadays.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SageNytell posted:

Is there something wacky about the folks who made Dungeon World? I wasn't aware of any controversy there.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Also what happened with the Dungeon World guys?

They're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby when it comes to ignoring and dismissing marginalized people being harassed by the worst elements. If that's OK with you, go ahead and give them your money I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am probably doing it wrong but I wanted to say that I noticed the guy who did Wide World of Wrestling also did a little Poe-based game called Imp of the Perverse that strikes me as pretty neat. Who even does horror games that aren't Cthulhu-based nowadays?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tollymain posted:

They're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby when it comes to ignoring and dismissing marginalized people being harassed by the worst elements. If that's OK with you, go ahead and give them your money I guess.

I didnt' know about this! What happened?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Tollymain posted:

But but but details... :(

Alright, probably a derail. I'm getting big into FATE at the moment but I keep hearing more and more about DW and was thinking about picking up a copy.

Any suggestions on running comedic games?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I've had a lot of fun with Pathfinder, but I wouldn't dare suggest it for new RPG players since there are so many little rules and rules to replace rules, and I find with each day I need a new houserule because the RAW are limiting fun, not helping it.

Tollymain posted:

That's lovely. I never thought of myself as being a very mature person or having very mature players, but spending time on certain gaming forums makes me feel like Bob Hoskins in toon-town :ughh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SageNytell posted:

But but but details... :(

Alright, probably a derail. I'm getting big into FATE at the moment but I keep hearing more and more about DW and was thinking about picking up a copy.

Any suggestions on running comedic games?

PARANOIA. Just get and run PARANOIA. I have a bunch of stuff for XP, which works great, but I know there's a new version now, you could use that instead if you want.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Sorry, not system suggestions! Design advice, how much goofy is too much goofy, that sort of thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Which is funny because Adam is going "I can't wait to read Inverse World Accelerated, it sounds really awesome! :haw:" over on G+.

e: I feel like I just have to accept that like 90% of the people I want to give my money to are horrible in some way, shape, or form otherwise I'm pretty much done with the hobby altogether.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Read up some advice on how improv comedy works. It's the closest analogue to comedy based roleplaying games I can think of.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depends on how goofy you want it. Just keep in mind that really bleak humor and goofiness belong at different ends of the sliding scale and shouldn't be mixed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

zachol posted:

I'm thinking Fiasco makes a lot of sense in terms of introducing the concept of roleplaying in general.
Does anyone have ideas about the Gamma World box? I remember everyone raving about it when it came out.

Gamma World is still $25-30, and is still a great "everything you need in one box" type of starter set. The core box doesn't have a long adventure or a ton of lore, but I really like the two expansions, not necessarily for "as written" adventures, but because of the fluff.

I think it's a great intro to RPGs, and can help you explain dumb stuff about the hobby, like ability scores. It's obviously not perfect for every group, but I've intro'd more friends to rolling 20s with GW than any other game.

We still have a thread that hasn't slipped to archives yet, and it could really use some love and attention.

Tollymain posted:

Monsterhearts and Apocalypse World are really good but Sex Moves are difficult to explain before people run away

The weird unnecessary sex stuff turned me off to the system. I don't want to listen to my friends RP that stuff, and I don't want to RP NPCs doing anything like that with them. I hate to say it, but it soured me to the system.

e: GW is $25-30 on Amazon

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 15, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Depends on how goofy you want it. Just keep in mind that really bleak humor and goofiness belong at different ends of the sliding scale and shouldn't be mixed.

Unless you happen to be Monty Python.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It really kinda depends on what sort of humor you're going for. There's no one formula for comedy because there are so many different kinds of comedy. Like, my next game is going to be based on a comedic manga, and that humor revolves around the characters being lazy pieces of poo poo, making pop culture references, and breaking the fourth wall slightly (You mean a normal game? :rimshot:). This may not work for all comedic stories, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The answer is Apocalypse World, and whoever said GURPS even as someone who kinda likes GURPS, please don't troll thanks

• Locked thread