Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
who the gently caress bought all those turbografx 16s :psyduck:

i knew one kid that had one of those and we all laughed at him about it. even the kids with the master system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

i knew one kid that had one of those and we all laughed at him about it. even the kids with the master system

japan. it was released much earlier there and had a few years of being a nicer nes rather than a shittier snes

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It was pretty big in Japan actually, since it came out at a reasonable time there, and had a respectable library of shoot 'em ups as well as the world's first CD add-on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

motherfuckers better recognize bonk

and air zonk

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_pNnEymLY

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
TurboGraphix also got 5 player Bomberman long before Super Bomberman 2 or Mega Bomberman :colbert:

Anyway, lets add zombies to every military game ever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm one of the like five guys who bought a 32x

and a Sega CD though i guess that's a lot more popular than I woulda pegged

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

neither of them mattered once we got sega channel though, that loving thing was aces

RIP Sega Channel, you were too good, too soon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is the twee indie irony pixel aesthetic close to dying soon?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The PC Engine also had Dragon Knight II and III, of course.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wiiu set to be the virtual boy of nintendo home consoles

icantfindaname posted:

u realise its actually because pizel art is cheap and that its a good thing there is ann opeition for smaller devs ot use that doesnt encompass the entire games budget

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Without TurboGrafx we wouldn't have gotten Johnny Turbo, the best console mascot to not be Segata Sanshiro.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stux posted:

u realise its actually because pizel art is cheap and that its a good thing there is ann opeition for smaller devs ot use that doesnt encompass the entire games budget

unfortunately i'm starting to think nobody will ever make a video game not in that style that costs less than $100 million to make ever again

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is good pixel art to be found all over the place in video games, sometimes even in indie games. It's just that lots of developers equate pixel art to little required effort and make pixel art games that look like poo poo instead of ones that look good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

unfortunately i'm starting to think nobody will ever make a video game not in that style that costs less than $100 million to make ever again

good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Good pixel art rocks. Metal Slug and King of Fighters are pixel art, and they look awesome. Mercenary Kings is a divisive game, but the guy who did pixel art for it and Scott Pilgrim the video game is really good, too.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

There is good pixel art to be found all over the place in video games, sometimes even in indie games. It's just that lots of developers equate pixel art to little required effort and make pixel art games that look like poo poo instead of ones that look good.

The funniest part is that it's actually harder to make good pixel art because you need to know what to cut without making it look like poo poo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

japanese 16-bit pixel art was literally just anime art rasterized because of hardware limitations of the day. people should make more anime games

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 23, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

icantfindaname posted:

No, why?

CJacobs posted:

This is true.

Ekster posted:

The funniest part is that it's actually harder to make good pixel art because you need to know what to cut without making it look like poo poo.
Well I think you can argue that it takes a certain amount of skill which is not common among videogame artists these days, whether indie or bigtime, but in terms of absolute hours taken, it's definitely easier to make reasonably decent looking 32x32 pixel art than it is to make, say, detailed HD Skullgirls-ish or KOF13-ish sprites or PS2-era or higher 3D models.

icantfindaname posted:

japanese 16-bit pixel art was literally just anime art rasterized because of hardware limitations of the day. people should make more anime games
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly, but in tandem with what Ekster just mentioned, if you scan in an anime cel and nearest neighbor resize it to 32x32 or so in Photoshop, you don't get anywhere near halfway decent pixel art. It takes a lot of tweaking and artistry to get good, readable, recognizable pixel art at such sizes.

Like this is one of the internet's oldest animated anime gif emoticons, and it's 96x96. You wouldn't get this by just resizing some anime cels.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Internet wasn't loving with me, Wolfenstein: The New Order totally rules. Twelve bucks was a ridiculous price for something this good. Really fortunate that my new graphics card came in today so that I can have a computer that can actually run this.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 23, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah Wolfenstein TNO is a good game, I just wish there was a bit more straight up combat between you and the nazis without any gimmicks. Thankfully, The Old Blood exists to fulfill that want and you also should buy that for that reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I shouldn't have played two fallout games in a row. I feel like I might start puking up post-apocalypse and 50s sci-fi cliches.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sleeveless posted:

Without TurboGrafx we wouldn't have gotten Johnny Turbo, the best console mascot to not be Segata Sanshiro.

I remember reading that in EGM and not wanting a TurboGrafx but being inspired in much the same way Johnny Five Aces did

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Kojima's Carrie Fetish

Sleeveless posted:

Alan Smithee posted:

I remember reading that in EGM and not wanting a TurboGrafx but being inspired in much the same way Johnny Five Aces did
All I can think of is "why is Neckbeard Duke Nukem fighting the Blues Brothers?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also his sidekick is the lovechild of Bill Nye and the popcorn guy

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The greatest thing about indie games is having companies focusing on gameplay while the big studios make movies and games with no new gameplay at all, to the point that Sony now only makes movies and nothing else. I'm pretty ok with bad pixel art, like really really really ok.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

program666 posted:

The greatest thing about indie games is having companies focusing on gameplay while the big studios make movies and games with no new gameplay at all, to the point that Sony now only makes movies and nothing else. I'm pretty ok with bad pixel art, like really really really ok.

yep basically, if pixel art of varying quality means small devs can continue to make games that are profitable then go for it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

amiibos are the worst thing to happen to gaming since dlc. in fact they are worse than normal dlc.

Both DLC and Amiibos are good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mario Kart 8 still does not have a functioning battle mode after all this time, something that the n64 was able to pull off was somehow unable to be done on a piece of modern machinery.

The battle mode always sucked rear end anyway and I'm glad they buried it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

program666 posted:

I'm pretty ok with bad pixel art, like really really really ok.

I can tolerate it but I'm really passionate about good pixel art so it bugs me that a lot of people think pixel art is automatically low effort nowadays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nintendo has never made a bad console. I'm giving a hell yeah to that guy a few pages ago. I'm gonna buy a GameCube so I can play my OG MP1 GC disc that still has all the speedrun exploits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you can get a game boy advance player for your gamecube I recommend it. Hell yeah for playing game boy, game boy advance and game boy color games on your TV with no emulation issues. Hell yeah for those like 8 GBA games that had specific functions for the game boy advance player like using the rumble in the controller to let you find secrets.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

Nintendo has never made a bad console. I'm giving a hell yeah to that guy a few pages ago. I'm gonna buy a GameCube so I can play my OG MP1 GC disc that still has all the speedrun exploits.

virtual boy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

virtual boy

Not canon.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Stux posted:

virtual boy

Color TV Game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I still have that too since I imported the NTSC version rather than wait for the PAL one to come out, which fixed some of that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it was designed by gunpei himself i cant think of anything more canon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rip gunpei the best designer nintendo ever had, virutabloy not withstanding.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In Training posted:

The battle mode always sucked rear end anyway and I'm glad they buried it.

And yet the eternal cry of "give us block fort" is heard to this day.

Also Miku has become one with the Persona-verse

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/23084087.html

Begun it has the Waifu Convergence. The Singularity is upon us.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

rip gunpei the best designer nintendo ever had, virutabloy not withstanding.
the wonderswan was kind of goofy tho

• Locked thread