Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
What's a fun, good and addictive casual game with nice sound and visuals that happens to be on sale?

I'm thinking along the lines of Peggle and Lumines on PS2, but am open for suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redix
Apr 28, 2010

Tonton Macoute posted:

What's a fun, good and addictive casual game with nice sound and visuals that happens to be on sale?

I'm thinking along the lines of Peggle and Lumines on PS2, but am open for suggestions.

For anybody looking for something like this, definitely pick up Everyday Genius: Squarelogic. It's a sudoku style puzzle game that's perfect to play in short bursts, or when listening to podcasts and such.

It has a shitload of puzzles, and the progression is very natural, where every puzzle is just a little bit harder than the last one.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tonton Macoute posted:

Try these:

Fractal: Make Blooms Not War
Circuits
Musaic Box
Triple Town
LOOP
Color Assembler
PixelJunk Eden
Mini Metro

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Seconding Circuits as it's musically delicious and $1.24 US. Also has a composer mode for sample combining. It requires you to not be tone-deaf.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zetsubou-san posted:

this is more of a strategy game than a city builder, but you do slowly expand your base camp as you conquer territory.

Have a look at Craft the World or The Spatials

I don't know about Craft the World, but The Spatials is an awful game. The base building is shallow trash which makes Simcity 2013 look like an actual simulator. The away missions boil down to "Shoot to kill, get bigger numbers, do paper work". It might be an acceptable mobile game, but there are so many better world builders out there.

It's not Steam yet or on sale, but have a look at Rimworld. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&pagenumber=1

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Any other good critically acclaimed single player games I've missed in the last few years? I need to SAVE more money.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Alien: Isolation is really good if you're into an Amnesia-style game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sydnesider posted:

Any other good critically acclaimed single player games I've missed in the last few years? I need to SAVE more money.
Undertale.

Being able to SAVE is a very useful ability!

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Ekster posted:

Alien: Isolation is really good if you're into an Amnesia-style game.

Not into it, thanks for the recommendation though. I think I found something I must buy and install immediately.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Any thoughts on Technobabylon or The Silent Age?

Technobabylon is the best point and click adventure game I've played in the last 3-5 years (even though I'm a Blackwell fan and that series had an amazing finale.)

It's also a great testament to how indie game voice acting has improved.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sydnesider posted:

Guessing you already own skyrim ( and fo3/new vegas)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sydnesider posted:

I haven't played it, but Wasteland 2 is not all that acclaimed.

What about XCOM and Invisible Inc.?

Also, what's up with Dishonored GOTY being $17, I can get the same edition for 8.50€ in Germany.

Edit: Not to say that it's not worth $17, but there's gotta be a better deal than that somewhere.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 24, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sydnesider posted:

Nth'ing the skip Wasteland 2 suggestion. I love Fallout 1 and 2 and other old RPGs and WL2 is boring and the skill system is annoying. I learned my Kickstarter lesson with that game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of Kickstarter, what do people think about Strike Suit Zero/Infinity?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, what's up with Dishonored GOTY being $17, I can get the same edition for 8.50€ in Germany.

Edit: Not to say that it's not worth $17, but there's gotta be a better deal than that somewhere.

It's showing up for $10.19 for me, not sure what the deal is. It's also been cheaper in past sales, $7.50 at it's lowest.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

Thining about picking up Dying Light. Is there much interest in a 4-pack? (I'd be getting 2 copies myself).

Also is the Bozark Horde DLC any good? Does the Ultimate Survivor Bundle thing break the game?

Count me in for a copy of Dying Light. Id/ragequits

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
WL2 is good fun for 20 bux imo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydnesider posted:

Not into it, thanks for the recommendation though. I think I found something I must buy and install immediately.

Chip's Challenge 2 was developed back in the day and never released until recently. There's also Chuck's Challenge which is by the same designer as a modern update. It plays fine, but I think the minimalistic appearance of the old games works better.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Sydnesider posted:

Too bad, man, Alien: Isolation is awesome. Retroactively GOTY 2014 for me (got round to it this year). Thought it was the closest thing to System Shock 3 we'd see before an actual System Shock 3 was announced, seeing as you have 2 in your purchase list.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Speaking of Kickstarter, what do people think about Strike Suit Zero/Infinity?

Infinity doesn't really have a story, you just shoot things. Zero has a campaign. They're pretty games, I thought the controls were good, but never got all that far into the campaign.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Question, do we no longer have flash sales to wait and hunt for?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any good horror games you guys recommend that aren't extremely known like Alien: Isolation or SOMA?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 24, 2015

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

No, but from what I've seen some Ubisoft games are not on sale, and I think they will randomly go on sale during the week. Some of the Assassin's Creed games and Far Cry 3/4 I think will get discounted out of the blue. Not sure if any other devs are approaching the sale this way.

Or maybe those games just won't go on sale, despite going on sale all the time.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any good horror games you guys recommend that aren't extremely known like Alien: Isolation or SOMA?

DreadOut is pretty cheap at the minute, basically an Indonesian PC version of Fatal Frame/Project Zero but with a phone camera.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Don't Starve Together looks like a great time for my girlfriend and I, but I'm not sure which button to push. It looks like each one comes with an extra copy to send to a Steam friend, but then there's the one with DLC that doesn't mention coming with an extra copy. Is the original game worth having now?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

Nope. Somebody shoulda put this in the title or more prominently in the OP.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is Brutal Legend worth it for $1.50?

Pete Zah posted:

Don't Starve Together looks like a great time for my girlfriend and I, but I'm not sure which button to push. It looks like each one comes with an extra copy to send to a Steam friend, but then there's the one with DLC that doesn't mention coming with an extra copy. Is the original game worth having now?

This one http://store.steampowered.com/app/322330/ is just Don't Starve Together and a copy for your girlfriend. If you just wan't MP, this is the one to get.

I never play Don't Starve single player anymore, but I put 50 hours into it first (up to 100 hours in multiplayer now) and my wife still plays it single player. It is her favorite game by miles. Also, the content from the shipwrecked content isn't in multiplayer right now (but the content from the first DLC, Reign of Giants is). So yeah, it's probably worth getting the single player version too if you like these kinds of games at all.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

LLSix posted:

This one http://store.steampowered.com/app/322330/ is just Don't Starve Together and a copy for your girlfriend. If you just wan't MP, this is the one to get.

I never play Don't Starve single player anymore, but I put 50 hours into it first (up to 100 hours in multiplayer now) and my wife still plays it single player. It is her favorite game by miles. Also, the content from the shipwrecked content isn't in multiplayer right now (but the content from the first DLC, Reign of Giants is). So yeah, it's probably worth getting the single player version too if you like these kinds of games at all.

Thank you. I'll just get the multiplayer version for now and see how things go from there.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLSix posted:

I'd say so. It's not a great game by any means, but it's earnest, has a good soundtrack (if you like metal :rock: :black101:), has good voice acting, and is decently fun. For that price it's worth it.

If they hadn't shoehorned a goddamn RTS into it it'd be an all-time great game.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

LLSix posted:

If you enjoy metal, it's worth it for the music alone. Just find a guide for the RTS battles so you can get past that bullshit faster.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sydnesider posted:

Dying Light

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Killing "Hat Economy in Early Access" Floor 2 or Hell "20 euros in DLC" Divers?

maybe neither because I don't have any friends who are playing either, at least yet

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Hopper posted:

The swamp is a tad bland of that is what you mean but at least running back and forth is shorter than navigating the streets in town all the time due to the fact you can just run across the wide open middle.
The most important Witcher 1 mod is the one that lets you run way faster.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MrBuddyLee posted:

The most important Witcher 1 mod is the one that lets you run way faster.

The second most important Witcher 1 mod is shoving your stash into your key items so you can use the stash anywhere.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Minorkos posted:

Killing "Hat Economy in Early Access" Floor 2 or Hell "20 euros in DLC" Divers?

maybe neither because I don't have any friends who are playing either, at least yet

I loved the hell out of KF1 but found it difficult to really get into KF2. Maybe it's because half the classes aren't in and each class that's actually in only has like one weapon per tier at the moment and there're like four maps that people play but it just didn't do it for me. KF1 had charm to it because it was janky as hell and Brits yelling DOSH was funny every time, but I think KF2 just takes itself too seriously. Also the four randomly-switching metal tracks got kind of old pretty fast.

Helldivers looks awesome and I'd have already bought it if I knew 3 other people that would play it consistently.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

Dying Light

Hm, should have gotten it in Nuuvem, it was 8 bucks a couple days ago, now it's 16. :argh:

Oh well, it was that or Ziggurat + Euro Truck, and I made my trucking decision. There's always next sale. :v:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Thining about picking up Dying Light. Is there much interest in a 4-pack? (I'd be getting 2 copies myself).

Also is the Bozark Horde DLC any good? Does the Ultimate Survivor Bundle thing break the game?

I'll take the 4th one (after RageQuit).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hm, should have gotten it in Nuuvem, it was 8 bucks a couple days ago, now it's 16. :argh:

Oh well, it was that or Ziggurat + Euro Truck, and I made my trucking decision. There's always next sale. :v:
I consider Dying Light really good and next to Witcher 3, Alien: Isolation and Mad Max it's one of the most memorable AAA+ games I played in recent years.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

I consider Dying Light really good and next to Witcher 3, Alien: Isolation and Mad Max it's one of the most memorable AAA+ games I played in recent years.

I've kinda burnt out on zombies over the past years, so I didn't pay much attention to it, I only started considering taking a look when I found out it had co-op but I still considered it "low priority".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I really like Dying Light and tried to get a friend into it but he said it gave him motion sickness ugh

• Locked thread