Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BBJoey posted:

I still have yet to see literally any evidence that this is true

The Greens run open ticket, just... not for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Election 2016: Greens' dummy spit over preferences as unedifying as it is hypocritical

Greens leader Richard Di Natale's dummy spit over Liberal preferences flowing to Labor was as unedifying as it was hypocritical.

And it proved that when you scratch the surface, the Greens can be just like the major political parties.

Yes, Senator Di Natale was right to say that the Liberals putting Labor ahead of his party was always the most likely outcome.

And yes, it's understandable the Greens leader – who has taken a few knocks this campaign as personal scrutiny has rightly increased – is disappointed with the decision because it will set his party back.

For example, the Greens' only lower house MP, Adam Bandt, picked up the seat of Melbourne at the 2010 federal election because he received Liberal preferences.

In 2013, the Greens would have picked up the seat of Batman if that arrangement had held and it will now be much tougher for the Greens to dislodge the accident prone Labor MP David Feeney.

In Wills, Grayndler and Sydney, Greens hopes are just about dashed.

But that's about as far as it goes.

The Liberal Party's decision to back Labor in the inner city has three dividends for Malcolm Turnbull; it allows the Prime Minster to take a "principled" stand against the "extreme" Greens; it allows him to wedge Labor, who cannot and will not put the Liberals ahead of the Greens in every electorate; and, it will please the Coalition's conservative base.

For Labor, it likely means it will hold its shaky inner city seats – at least for another term – and that the ALP can switch focus to Labor-Liberal contests.

Labor has already said it will back Liberals ahead of the Nationals in three three-cornered contests as a quid pro quo, and it may go further and back the Liberals ahead of Nick Xenophon candidates in South Australia, too – saving Jamie Briggs and even perhaps Christopher Pyne.

Deal making is alive and well in politics

Deal making is alive and well in politics. For Senator Di Natale to pretend otherwise – he claimed he had had "no discussions with the Liberal Party" and "no discussion with the Labor Party about preferences" – defies credibility.

Mr Bandt claimed, incredibly, that "this is the day that Labor sold their soul".

Sadly, he did not clarify whether he had sold his soul in 2010 when elected by the Liberal preferences he railed against on Sunday.

Senator Di Natale's claim is the political equivalent of a bait-and-switch; of course he hasn't been in those preference discussions.

That's what the party machine men and women who negotiate these complex preference deals do. And yes, the Greens get down and dirty like everyone else.

In fact, the Greens believed they had a good chance of winning Liberal preferences in their target inner-city seats – in exchange for damaging the ALP by running open preference tickets in the outer suburbs to boost the Liberals – as recently as last Wednesday.

In reality, Senator Di Natale's sad Sunday jeremiad was an exercise in hypocrisy; the Greens leader condemned a deal that just days earlier his party had hoped to break their way, not Labor's.

Oh, and it's still very likely that Labor and the Greens will, in the end, preference each other in the Senate in the hope of boosting the number of progressive voices.

Will Senator Di Natale condemn his own party for doing that deal with Labor, if that's how the cards fall in the Senate?

Don't hold you breath.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...612-gphaqu.html

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Dun dun dunnnn

And just to underline that, Labor is preferencing Libs over Nats which is a quid pro quo for the Greens preferencing. So much for the Coalition when Libs are threatened, hey.
The misuse of the apostrophe in "party's" really makes this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
FRESH from being dumped by the Australian Defence Force, Canning MP Andrew Hastie has been exposed breaching parliamentary rules by failing to declare an $870,000 house he bought in March.

:allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao at Turnbull saying everyone else is using antique economic plans

just fuckin lmao

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Wish Australians would realise it's okay to have more than two party's <<<

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm wondering when we'll start getting those mailbox stuffers from the ALP and the Libs, maybe this week if the Greens have already started.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ewe2 posted:

I'm wondering when we'll start getting those mailbox stuffers from the ALP and the Libs, maybe this week if the Greens have already started.

I already got a flyer from Danby. As well as an earlier one vilifying Turnbull, I guess back before Danby decided that the left was his real enemy.

I WANNA BE A TWINK
Mar 27, 2016

Cleretic posted:

I already got a flyer from Danby. As well as an earlier one vilifying Turnbull, I guess back before Danby decided that the left was his real enemy.

Because the Greens party propaganda is aimed completely at the Liberal party this election? Political propaganda is aimed at threats, Greens attack the ALP because that's where the votes are for them. The ALP attacks the Liberals because that's where the votes are for them, except in a few seats where the threat is now Greens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

FRESH from being dumped by the Australian Defence Force, Canning MP Andrew Hastie has been exposed breaching parliamentary rules by failing to declare an $870,000 house he bought in March.

:allears:

What a model soldier to get booted for disobeying directives and now this.

If he was still in the regulars he'd be up on charges and probably having his clearance pulled then sent back to one of the Eastern regiments.

Also gently caress preferencing and all that bullshit. I number every single relevant box because gently caress your backroom deals.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-12/vote-compass-right-left-leaning-electorates/7501092

Picture of QLD being sawn off please. `

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

this is my favourite one so far

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DancingShade posted:

Also gently caress preferencing and all that bullshit. I number every single relevant box because gently caress your backroom deals.

Well make sure you don't this time and exhaust your vote before reaching all the shitheel right wingers.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What's the theory here? If your vote is exhausted before it reaches the right-wingers then doesn't it mean that the non-right wingers have lost anyway and been eliminated? In that case, wouldn't you want your vote to go to the least horrible right-winger?

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I love that this is the shabbiest-looking photo they could find of Richard. LOOK AT THE SMELLY BESPECTACLED HIPPIE AND HIS FIVE O'CLOCK SHADOW; his mild and occasional unconcern for social norms is PALPABLE

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

well I mean technically yeah

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

aren't we technically his boss

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I'm sure that was the best photo they had but drat, I really want to vote for them even less after looking at him.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
lol at James Massola's latest screed, dude has legit been trying so hard to try and find something to stick to the Greens this election cycle

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Quantum Mechanic posted:

lol at James Massola's latest screed, dude has legit been trying so hard to try and find something to stick to the Greens this election cycle

Van Badham on fb took a swing at them too. Then I saw a post where she gave a speech about Australia's horrible refugee policy. :raise:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Starshark posted:

Van Badham on fb took a swing at them too. Then I saw a post where she gave a speech about Australia's horrible refugee policy. :raise:

"It's bad which is why I vote labor"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Starshark posted:

Van Badham, noted ~*libertarian communist*~ who votes Labor because they defended her right to inherited wealth

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
No ice.

Edit: I overheard some people recently who were mad at the LNP after hearing of David Leyonhjelm's recent bollocks, because they thought the Liberal Democrats were the LNP, even after the last election they haven't caught up. Holy moly.

Magog fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 12, 2016

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

For the sake of fair and balanced journalism, I thought I should make a flattering one too. Let's turn that frown upside-down!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CP you better put these on imgur or something so they can be shared far and wide. I don't want to hotlink it and have your domain get hammered.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

CP you better put these on imgur or something so they can be shared far and wide. I don't want to hotlink it and have your domain get hammered.

OK! Here: http://imgur.com/a/iXqBU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Vaccination sceptics and natural medicine advocates positioning themselves as the Health Australia Party have landed the coveted first column on the NSW Senate ballot paper.

The spot of luck risks a repeat of the Liberal Democrats' accidental success in 2013, when David Leyonhjelm drew prime position, which was widely thought to have got him elected.

(Possible but unlikely, Leyonholm also had the fact his name confused the elderly with the Liberal Party)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ummmm... change places?

EXCLUSIVE

Labor will preference the Greens ahead of the Liberals across the country and is considering a deal with Nick Xenophon, which could see the Independent Senator pick up three Liberal seats in South Australia and possibly even Cabinet Minister Christopher Pyne's seat of Sturt.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AgentF posted:

What's the theory here? If your vote is exhausted before it reaches the right-wingers then doesn't it mean that the non-right wingers have lost anyway and been eliminated? In that case, wouldn't you want your vote to go to the least horrible right-winger?

I could be wrong, but isn't this all sorts of hosed because of quotas, your first preferences might get well above their quotas and have that run off to your second preferences and so on? So in the end if everyone you want gets above their quota your vote could be directed to someone you don't want.

I suppose you're still right that it might be better even then to direct your preference to the least objectionable, but I'd still be exhausting it before I got near the neo-nazis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lid posted:

Ummmm... change places?

EXCLUSIVE

Labor will preference the Greens ahead of the Liberals across the country and is considering a deal with Nick Xenophon, which could see the Independent Senator pick up three Liberal seats in South Australia and possibly even Cabinet Minister Christopher Pyne's seat of Sturt.

Preferences are the most painful part of the whole election. It's a whole fuckton of rigamarole and contradictory hearsay and it's poo poo.

We'll see what happens with it, but Michael Danby, Labor's currently-sitting member for Melbourne Ports said at a conference on Thursday he'll be preferencing the Liberals over the Greens in his seat. It's questionable if the party will allow him to do that, he might be printing his own HTVs to go against Labor's choices, which would risk disendorsement for him. But there's a lot of time between now and the election for either Labor to shaft the Greens on that or for Danby to back off, so right now it's a bunch of stress for nothing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And just like that the NBN is dead.

Good job Murdoch, you won.
E: labor to continue HFC rollout, rip fiber (except for a few extra places but not many)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 12, 2016

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I found a leaflet issued by the MUA and AIMEU ragging on Barnaby. They drew him as a donkey and added the slogan "Give Him The Arse - Put Barnaby Last".

Nice to see some unions still care.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drunkill posted:

E: labor to continue HFC rollout, rip fiber (except for a few extra places but not many)

What? Oh God drat it :smith:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

drunkill posted:

It has been dead since the Liberals were elected and burnt money ripping up the existing agreements and replacing the board/branding. Nobody is going to start over a third time until HFC/fttn is even more worthless than copper was then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ScreamingLlama posted:

I found a leaflet issued by the MUA and AIMEU ragging on Barnaby. They drew him as a donkey and added the slogan "Give Him The Arse - Put Barnaby Last".

Nice to see some unions still care.

Amusingly this is part of the drama at my union, which is affiliated with the ALP, but the new National Secretary wants us to affiliate with "someone else"

For the sakes of clarity, that's the rumour anyway, that she wants us to affiliate with someone else but there's definitely been talk, by her, that I personally have heard that she's no longer happy to affiliate with the ALP.

• Locked thread