Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
According to AS(no clue why they would know this), United have offered Schweinsteiger €11m to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I am just going to say that at the season I thought why would we pay good money for some rando who has only played in Egypt but it turns out Rmadan is actually really cool and good and another great buy by Mark 'Sparky' Hughes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blue footed boobie posted:

According to AS(no clue why they would know this), United have offered Schweinsteiger €11m to gently caress off.

I wish my job would offer me €11m to stop working

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I wish my job would offer me €11m to stop working

if Jose continues his trajectory the whole team will stop working for free in a few weeks

good business by Schweini

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's no secret that Mourinho doesn't like rotating the spine of his team much and Schweinsteiger is injury plagued.

He shouldn't have been bought in the first place.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ninpo posted:

It's no secret that Mourinho doesn't like rotating the spine of his team much and Schweinsteiger is injury plagued.

He shouldn't have been bought in the first place.

If anything Mourinho's biggest challenge is all the overpriced dead weight United has. Rooney, Schweinsteiger & Depay all have to go but will be really tricky to offload. Zlatan isn't performing up to his potential/expectation but at least he's on a one-year contract. If you can get rid of those 3-4 situations (Rooney to China, Schweinsteiger payed off, Martial no idea), sign a few good defensive players and reorganize around Pogba/Mata as attacking mids and Rashford as striker I think we could have a much more coherent and conistent squad next year. Zlatan will probably be resigned for next season but needs to start being played as a sub or in place of Rashford for defensive "park the bus" grinder games where we can occasionally hope he poaches some weirdo set-piece or long-ball goal to nick a 1-0 late in the game.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 12, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Martial doesn't need to go anywhere. Depay on the other hand...

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ninpo posted:

Martial doesn't need to go anywhere. Depay on the other hand...

Oh you're right I had that mixed in my head pre-coffee.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

quote:

​A 21-year-old Chelsea season ticket holder has been found guilty of religiously aggravated harassment, following behaviour in a Premier League game in May.

Fabien Richardson made a total of 13 'Nazi salutes' in the space of just 15 minutes during Chelsea's 2-2 draw, at Stamford Bridge, with rivals Tottenham last season.

In a court hearing on Thursday the Mail report that Richardson claimed he 'did not know what the salute meant' insisting he 'was not a racist - just an idiot'.

http://www.90min.com/posts/4093333-disgusting-chelsea-fan-banned-after-directing-multiple-nazi-salutes-at-tottenham-supporters

lol

ephex fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 12, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RideTheSpiral posted:

i looked at buying a house in liverpool in the summer because its cheap as hell. after checking the league table im starting to think its not as giant a shithole with no redeemable qualities as i thought

I moved here from London, my mortgage is a third of what renting a room in London cost, and the beer is far cheaper. My job pays the same, owns owns owns.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

I moved here from London, my mortgage is a third of what renting a room in London cost, and the beer is far cheaper. My job pays the same, owns owns owns.

yeah but the city is real bad.

also lol that i can buy a three bed terrace with a garden in liverpool for the price of a deposit on a 2 bed flat in london (a poo poo part of london)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Manchester United have the highest wages in world football according to a global survey, with the first-team squad earning £5.77 million a year basic salary on average.

Pretty good wages for a mid-table club

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Koeman wants to bring Memphis to Everton apparently.

edit: he said this on a dutch tv show today

oliwan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 13, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

inx posted:

'fails to impress' is a mild way of putting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJ-NFvquTM

One of the recommended vids in that is a 20 minute "highlight" reel of his season, which is just desperately sad really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apokvMTTJX8

comments are great though, its like Americans with Jozy.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
memphis scored two today for holland #legend

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol that Celtic and MLS teams have the same basic wage structure but Celtic is actually decent because MLS is loving retarded and implemented a ton of protectionist measures, keeping themselves out of the global football market and spending half the wages on past it garbagemen

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I am kinda shocked that stoke is still as low as it is given we have king of dodgy bullshit doing our transfers

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

I am kinda shocked that stoke is still as low as it is given we have king of dodgy bullshit doing our transfers

Half of them are working for cash in hand

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

All this does is highlight the fact that United need to clear out the players who are no longer good enough to warrant their high wages (Rooney, Schweinsteiger), never were good enough (Fellaini, Young) and aren't going to be good enough (Memphis).

But of course the question that's been asked a thousand times is, clear out where? Who is going to give for instance Rooney a contract he'll accept?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Der Shovel posted:

All this does is highlight the fact that United need to clear out the players who are no longer good enough to warrant their high wages (Rooney, Schweinsteiger), never were good enough (Fellaini, Young) and aren't going to be good enough (Memphis).

But of course the question that's been asked a thousand times is, clear out where? Who is going to give for instance Rooney a contract he'll accept?

MLS or China.

To be honest I wouldn't have any problem with Rooney seeing out his contract and either leaving on a free or negotiating a lesser deal to stay on afterwards. He shouldn't be captain/a nailed on starter anymore but it's hyperbolic to claim he's nothing at all to offer the club anymore. Even while being "poo poo and gash" he got double figures for goals last season and already has a couple of goals and some assists to his credit this season, while playing the worst he's ever played AND while being shuffled around different positions.

I doubt Young's contract is that mega and everyone knows Fellaini and Schweinsteiger should never have been bought in the first place, good chance the club is stuck with them as well.

I don't get the hand wringing though about the wages, it's not like the club can't afford them. Mourinho picks the players, regardless of the wages they're on, it's up to him to decide if they're good enough or not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

lol that Celtic and MLS teams have the same basic wage structure but Celtic is actually decent because MLS is loving retarded and implemented a ton of protectionist measures, keeping themselves out of the global football market and spending half the wages on past it garbagemen

yeah it's pretty rich that MLS pays constant lip service to parity and yet builds in so many loopholes to allow their big clubs to throw funny money at whoever they want

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

Young was our best player in Van Gaals first season

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

straight up brolic posted:

mls teams need to spend on past it garbagemen because they can't offer the opportunity to play in europe

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

mls teams need to spend on past it garbagemen because they can't offer the opportunity to play in europe

mls is very very dumb in so many ways

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Big Taff Man posted:

That's a funny way to spell David de Gea

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ashley Young, the best player in the most expensive side in the world.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

sebzilla posted:

That's a funny way to spell David de Gea

not so sure, my recollection is that De Gea performed a bit inconsistently that season whereas Young played like a game-changer almost every time he came on

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Reprisal posted:

not so sure, my recollection is that De Gea performed a bit inconsistently that season whereas Young played like a game-changer almost every time he came on
He mostly played as a fullback and I think he got like two goals and one assist or something. He was good, particularly since it was an unfamiliar position for him, but "gamechanger" is extremely generous

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

I loving love how we have players like Ashley Young, Memphis Depay and Marcos Rojo on £100k+. It's great. :D

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Speaking of the MLS being a poo poo league full of overpaid, past-it superstars, Schweinsteiger is apparently in talks with the Chicago Fire.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Speaking of the MLS being a poo poo league full of overpaid, past-it superstars, Schweinsteiger is apparently in talks with the Chicago Fire.

the chicago fire are the worst team in the MLS for like 3 seasons now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

surely the big, bankable name that will push MLS over the top

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Schweinsteiger could be the Chicago Fire's version of David Ross. I'm going to write to Deadspin about this.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Stevie G leaving LA Galaxy

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

Stevie G leaving LA Galaxy

Wrong thread ;)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Can any MLS watchers tell me how all of these washed up frauds actually do in the MLS? I'm not going to open the MLS thread.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Can any MLS watchers tell me how all of these washed up frauds actually do in the MLS? I'm not going to open the MLS thread.

Some are good, some are bad

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ninpo posted:

Wrong thread ;)

idk, Mourinho has always admired Stevie G...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I don't watch any of it but 37/38 year old Lampard scored 15 goals in 29 apps and 37/38 year old Drogba scored 21 goals in 33 apps.

• Locked thread