Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just played some netplayed some Revelator sets against a guy named Ryyudo and he seemed really good so I googled him afterwords. Apparently he's an OG in the Colorado scene and gets around to most of the American tournaments? He was hitting me with some crazy rear end Faust combos that I had never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Meridian posted:

If you're ever free and want to play some games I'd love to run a few sets with you. I'm very fresh to playing this game seriously and figured I'd start with Ky so I think I'd get a lot out of it.

If you are East Coast US and also on PS3/PS4 I can play with you. Otherwise I cannot!

My PSN is "systranerror"

I am actually in the goon discord as well as "angelopportunity"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

angel opportunity posted:

If you are East Coast US and also on PS3/PS4 I can play with you. Otherwise I cannot!

My PSN is "systranerror"

I am actually in the goon discord as well as "angelopportunity"

Good stuff! I will send you a request after I get home from work.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

attackmole posted:

Just played some netplayed some Revelator sets against a guy named Ryyudo and he seemed really good so I googled him afterwords. Apparently he's an OG in the Colorado scene and gets around to most of the American tournaments? He was hitting me with some crazy rear end Faust combos that I had never seen before.

Ryyudo is a cool guy who I wish I got to chill with more, and he will see you in Windjammers.

I guess both of those things go for everyone I've met in the guilty gear scene. Stoked to be able to travel to more tournaments next year :smith:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 2, 2017

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwUGqHmeXM

new Ky guide series from angel opportunity

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its that mega post but paced as a course and its very good i just watched it. some audio issues in the back half though

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ya I just added in a transcript into the vid description of what I was saying when the audio cut out for a full minute (so annoying). Fun fact, Youtube doesn't allow annotations at all anymore.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ya I just added in a transcript into the vid description of what I was saying when the audio cut out for a full minute (so annoying). Fun fact, Youtube doesn't allow annotations at all anymore.

oh is that why they added that lovely recommended tab that takes away the video playback tools? or is the annotations thing only for regular youtube plebs?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

anime was right posted:

oh is that why they added that lovely recommended tab that takes away the video playback tools? or is the annotations thing only for regular youtube plebs?

The reasoning is that 50%+ Youtube views come from mobile, and annotations never worked on mobile. The new things they added are only for linking to other vids at the end of your video, not for doing what annotations did :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The reasoning is that 50%+ Youtube views come from mobile, and annotations never worked on mobile. The new things they added are only for linking to other vids at the end of your video, not for doing what annotations did :(

i thought the additional video popups people used for cross-linking where handled by annotations (since disabling them disabled video cross-links) but i havent really used youtube as a creator much in the past 6 years.

and yeah, the fact that youtube is 50%+ mobile now is kinda crazy lol

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

anime was right posted:

i thought the additional video popups people used for cross-linking where handled by annotations (since disabling them disabled video cross-links) but i havent really used youtube as a creator much in the past 6 years.

and yeah, the fact that youtube is 50%+ mobile now is kinda crazy lol

Yeah people used annotations for cross-linking, but A LOT of people used it to clarify stuff where they mis-spoke, or like in this video where my mic cord popped out for a full minute. The new solution allows you to cross-link videos in a way that works on mobile, but there is no way to just put some text easily over the video to tell people "the sound isn't going to be cut out for the entire video lol"

edit: I guess I could tell people to enable closed captions, and then add annotations into the captions or something

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Yeah people used annotations for cross-linking, but A LOT of people used it to clarify stuff where they mis-spoke, or like in this video where my mic cord popped out for a full minute. The new solution allows you to cross-link videos in a way that works on mobile, but there is no way to just put some text easily over the video to tell people "the sound isn't going to be cut out for the entire video lol"

edit: I guess I could tell people to enable closed captions, and then add annotations into the captions or something

that could work, yeah. i was just pondering the secondary change that came along with it was all. annotations were useful and i've seen plenty of prominent youtubers use them for corrections so shrug.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Alright I'm done. I've played for something like a month of Rev and feel like I haven't improved at all. It's just too complex.

I just wish combos felt reliable in any way, but it feels like I've spent ages trying to learn literally anything in the lab for application in match only to see it completely fail because of other things that don't exist.

I can appreciate it's probably a better game at higher levels, but I just prefer Street Fighter.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Alright I'm done. I've played for something like a month of Rev and feel like I haven't improved at all. It's just too complex.

I just wish combos felt reliable in any way, but it feels like I've spent ages trying to learn literally anything in the lab for application in match only to see it completely fail because of other things that don't exist.

I can appreciate it's probably a better game at higher levels, but I just prefer Street Fighter.

you can press the buttons in a row then do a special move with like every character. have fun in street fighter!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Just play Sol and hit the buttons in order, then do a stick motion and press a button.

e: beaten to the punch

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zand posted:

you can press the buttons in a row then do a special move with like every character. have fun in street fighter!

I feel like you're deliberately misinterpreting me. Of course you can do that, I could do that the moment I started playing. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be very effective against players who know a little about what's going on. Whereas in SF MK->Hadouken is as effective at low level as it is at the highest.

I'm probably just salty because I picked the character that I felt most suited my playstyle, which is Millia since I love the Laura Oki in SFV only to find that I do literally no damage unless I'm reliably IADing people out of every loop I set up. I can do that in training without too much trouble, but put that in a match and the spacing means that anything I set up automatically screws up.

It's frustrating to feel like I have to switch characters to be effective and lose the month I spent trying as hard as I could to learn what to do with her.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

you won't and can't be effective against people who are way way way better than you in this or any worthwhile fighting game. that's what makes them what they are and why they just aren't for everyone.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I feel like you're deliberately misinterpreting me. Of course you can do that, I could do that the moment I started playing. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be very effective against players who know a little about what's going on. Whereas in SF MK->Hadouken is as effective at low level as it is at the highest.

I'm probably just salty because I picked the character that I felt most suited my playstyle, which is Millia since I love the Laura Oki in SFV only to find that I do literally no damage unless I'm reliably IADing people out of every loop I set up. I can do that in training without too much trouble, but put that in a match and the spacing means that anything I set up automatically screws up.

It's frustrating to feel like I have to switch characters to be effective and lose the month I spent trying as hard as I could to learn what to do with her.

I played Millia in xx offline a lot and it gave me bad habits I had to shed when trying xrd online. Millia went from being my favourite to dropped forever once I learned what neutral was and couldn't just bumrush the opponent as fast as possible.

She is a deceptively difficult character to do well with because her speed, jumps, and set ups feel so smooth compared to everyone else but she deals such low damage and takes a TON of it, I believe 20% more then everyone except Chipp.

Shes considered advanced for a reason, you will need more elaborate combos for damage and take more punishment for your mistakes then other characters who have better normals and take less damage, which is just about everyone.

btw were you playing under Hazz?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Millia is ftw because once you learn how to manage neutral the rest of the game flow is turn your brain off and spam discs into knockdown

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Yorkshire Tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtoHkuKETQ&t=786s

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know of any high level words about movement in airdashers/marvel? There's lots of them about ground footsies, and or street fighter movement, but I feel kind of lost trying to improve the way i move around in the air.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pomp posted:

Does anyone know of any high level words about movement in airdashers/marvel? There's lots of them about ground footsies, and or street fighter movement, but I feel kind of lost trying to improve the way i move around in the air.

"anime footsies"

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

do it so you dont get hit but you hit them more

be like water, in the air

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was jojo's out before this? got those roundabout feels

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pomp posted:

It's the same as moving on the ground except higher commitment

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna say I meant more like navigating gauntlets of heinous bullshit in conjunction with half screen normals, hence marvel, but I guess that wouldn't actually change anything huh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pomp posted:

I was gonna say I meant more like navigating gauntlets of heinous bullshit in conjunction with half screen normals, hence marvel, but I guess that wouldn't actually change anything huh

That's basically what fighting Dhalsim in ST is like

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you want strong oki and ease of execution, while still having a solid neutral game, try Raven. His damage is low as well, but he's a lot easier to pilot in neutral.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pomp posted:

I play sin, so the only thing I know about movement is that Beak driver makes people stop doing it.

Being less twatty, air movement depends on your character, and their options, but is generally higher commitment than the ground, kinda like walking up versus dashing up. Knowing your opponents air to air and anti air normals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought I was pretty good at judging when to jump, and then I played a good Venom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I thought I was pretty good at judging when to jump, and then I played a good Venom

His corner game was unreal

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I think the defining difference between a good player and a great player in this game is that you're scared shitless about being in the air for an instant against a great player.
Fazoob, Bears and Pomp all make me afraid of jumping at any point in a match. I used to love Axls j.S before the fear took hold.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just learned about the GG petit series. kinda want a wonderswan now

also lol at Pro Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!? for DSi.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Gorp posted:

I think the defining difference between a good player and a great player in this game is that you're scared shitless about being in the air for an instant against a great player.
Fazoob, Bears and Pomp all make me afraid of jumping at any point in a match. I used to love Axls j.S before the fear took hold.

i'm flattered that you'd put me in the same category as bears but antiairing isn't hard if you're jumping at the wrong times

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Real hurthling! posted:

i just learned about the GG petit series. kinda want a wonderswan now

also lol at Pro Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!? for DSi.

have you heard of guilty gear dust strikers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MohShuvuu posted:

have you heard of guilty gear dust strikers

Its a ds game right? Is it cool?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Pomp posted:

i'm flattered that you'd put me in the same category as bears but antiairing isn't hard if you're jumping at the wrong times

To clarify, Bears is better than everyone.
This is a fact.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/guiltyjake/status/829674641467715584

Not sure what to think of the new, much more literal, Ride the Lightning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Real hurthling! posted:

It's really really bad which is a shame because it tried a bunch of weird almost Smash Bros.-esque stuff that could have been fun on a handheld.

• Locked thread