Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chokes McGee posted:

Somewhere, MourningView is spitting out his morning coffee and frantically racing to the edit button trying to blot this post out before AIRBHG reads it.

I'm kinda openly rooting for him to take out Weisman and Bullock, honestly.

Iowa should win a minimum of 10 games with their schedule, which means they'll probably win like 8 in actuality. But they're well set up to make a run. The only game where they won't be favored is probably Wisconsin (and the conference title game if they make it that far). The new Big Ten divisions own a bunch.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

A while back, I rolled my cable back to "basic" because Comcast decided that they wanted to raise my monthly rate by 35%. Basic was only $11 more a month than just internets. I don't even get TBS(!), let alone ESPN. Didn't even know it was possible to have cable and not have TBS and ESPN. Going to be a tough football season.

I can see apartment buildings with FiOS outside my window. It makes me sad that they didn't cross the creek with their fios wires.

you could upgrade and add the sports packs for the next 4 months and get all of the games, then downgrade again when there's no football?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Mercer Bears are probably the #1 team in the country regardless of level, tbh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have Time Warner Cable, and neither LHN (which is now part of WatchESPN) nor the SECN are on online. I imagine the two are tied together.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Jason Kirk seemed to enjoy pointing out that Baylor is now ranked where Florida was a year ago. :smug:

Of course, then he pointed out that a year ago, Florida was ranked where Baylor is now. :ohdear:

Being ranked early sucks. Preseason sucks. At least this isn't Baylor BBall where they would start plummeting immediately until the very last second and then making a late postseason push.

And where's UT? Hope they get top 25...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gus Malzahn says there's an "eligibility issue" with Robenson Therezie, who shined last season at the star LB/S position. Rumors were already circulating about a failed drug test, so that might add up to a PED or something. He would presumably be replaced by Justin Garrett, who was expected to debut at the position in Ellis Johnson's defense until a fall camp injury sidelined him for 2013.

Yet another issue potential starter out of action where the next guy up isn't a huge dropoff, if at all, but it's adding up to potential depth problems down the line. I'm really feeling a hot start and then we blow a huge Amen Corner to miss the playoff.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

anne frank fanfic posted:

Being ranked early sucks. Preseason sucks. At least this isn't Baylor BBall where they would start plummeting immediately until the very last second and then making a late postseason push.

And where's UT? Hope they get top 25...

UT was I think 27 or 28 in the AP poll. I don't see how there's any reason to rank us even that high just yet, but I guess that also goes for pretty much every team. There is no way to come up with meaningful rankings before the season starts. I was less surprised to see us ranked in the coaches' poll just because I think a lot of coaches have a high opinion of Charlie Strong. If Texas beats UNT and BYU we will be ranked going in to the UCLA game, and if UCLA is still undefeated at that point a loss might not drop us out of the rankings. We'll get a tuneup against Kansas that could possibly bring us back in if we were close, then you'll get your shot. And if Texas somehow makes it to the Baylor game undefeated that's potentially a big springboard for you (potentially big for us too, obviously).

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

kayakyakr posted:

you could upgrade and add the sports packs for the next 4 months and get all of the games, then downgrade again when there's no football?

This is what I did. I hate giving Comcast money but I need my football.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

UT was I think 27 or 28 in the AP poll. I don't see how there's any reason to rank us even that high just yet, but I guess that also goes for pretty much every team. There is no way to come up with meaningful rankings before the season starts. I was less surprised to see us ranked in the coaches' poll just because I think a lot of coaches have a high opinion of Charlie Strong. If Texas beats UNT and BYU we will be ranked going in to the UCLA game, and if UCLA is still undefeated at that point a loss might not drop us out of the rankings. We'll get a tuneup against Kansas that could possibly bring us back in if we were close, then you'll get your shot. And if Texas somehow makes it to the Baylor game undefeated that's potentially a big springboard for you (potentially big for us too, obviously).

Yeah there's a good chance UT can surprise people but it mostly hinges on that UCLA game and hopefully the Dallas crowd. Then whoever wins the Baylor game has a good chance for the rest of the season, besides the OU games.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
My cable company got SEC Network, which is cool. :toot:

I was seriously starting to worry. They were amongst the last to actually get it. If you don't have SEC Network, are you just hosed for seeing those games? Will they be simulcast anywhere besides WatchESPN? I haven't gotten it to consistently work and, since I'll be in ATL the day of Auburn/Arkansas, I hope the hotel will have it on SEC Network. Because gently caress dealing with annoying streams.

Morby fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 18, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sash! posted:

A while back, I rolled my cable back to "basic" because Comcast decided that they wanted to raise my monthly rate by 35%. Basic was only $11 more a month than just internets. I don't even get TBS(!), let alone ESPN. Didn't even know it was possible to have cable and not have TBS and ESPN. Going to be a tough football season.

I can see apartment buildings with FiOS outside my window. It makes me sad that they didn't cross the creek with their fios wires.

I'm in the same boat but I swear I read somewhere saying the basic cable package (Digital Starter) is getting SECN still

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Top 50 College Towns. http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/

Ames and Iowa City in the Top 10? :psyduck:

Also: Purdue is not in Lafayette. Pro journalism there.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't think they went to any of those cities.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That article has shaken my faith in the accuracy of internet lists to the core.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

College Station at 21 and Austin at loving nowhere? :psyduck:

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

They said they took affordability into account... but still, College Station.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
with the cities on that list Waco would be top 5

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Morby posted:

I was seriously starting to worry. They were amongst the last to actually get it. If you don't have SEC Network, are you just hosed for seeing those games? Will they be simulcast anywhere besides WatchESPN? I haven't gotten it to consistently work and, since I'll be in ATL the day of Auburn/Arkansas, I hope the hotel will have it on SEC Network. Because gently caress dealing with annoying streams.

I just realized that Verizon doesn't have SEC Network yet and I can't wait to see the Arkansas v Auburn game. Are we sure it can be watched on WatchESPN?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Mostly I think there's a difference between "college town" and "relatively moderate sized city with a college in it". Blacksburg was a college town, the center point of it and the only reason anyone ever goes there. Knoxville is a city of about 100,000 with Tennessee at the center. It's a very important part of the city and its culture, no doubt. However, it's a select portion of the city not the whole thing.

e: Blacksburg is not home to Radford. It is in...Radford. Still in Montgomery County, though

Heaf fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

anne frank fanfic posted:

They said they took affordability into account... but still, College Station.

I really loved College Station. But then again I was a grad student who took a dim view of young whippersnappers and their shenanigans, so yeah, the list is delusional.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

another good reason to go to blacksburg is if you like mountains, or if you hate cell reception, or if you like empty trophy cases

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I just realized that Verizon doesn't have SEC Network yet and I can't wait to see the Arkansas v Auburn game. Are we sure it can be watched on WatchESPN?

You most likely won't be able to. Watch ESPN is connected to your provider.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to Champaign to visit U of I for a college visit and after my dad and I getting harassed on I-57 (because lol Illinois patrol) I got to the school on the saddest, greyest day of the year. Also I think I got food poisoning from the Effingham Hardees on my way there. I think my point is I made a lot of bad decisions on that campus visit, but all in all I think it turned out well. Also I wouldn't put Champaign-Urbana in my faves list. UT and Austin were p. cool though and I would.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spiritus Nox posted:

Austin isn't a "college town." (Especially considering how much Austin has changed.) I'd still rather live in New Orleans than any of the cities on that list.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

This is annoying as gently caress, FiOS is like the only service that doesn't have it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Austin isn't a "college town." (Especially considering how much Austin has changed.) I'd still rather live in New Orleans than any of the cities on that list.

Yeah, the cutoff seemed to be that approximately 10% of the population be students, which eliminates most cities whose primary employer isn't a university.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Spiritus Nox posted:

They must have used some metrics that didn't include not being loving College Station.

You think all them Aggies start out that way? Few leave places like College Station with their sanity intact, I would know having living in Lubbock for a number of year.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
:lol: at Tallahassee. I loved my time there but the city is can be kind of a poo poo hole.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Doggfeed.com lists Kent, Ohio #1 in its list of College Cities Where Kent State University Is Located.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mayodreams posted:

Top 50 College Towns. http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/

Ames and Iowa City in the Top 10? :psyduck:

Also: Purdue is not in Lafayette. Pro journalism there.

Iowa City is a really great town and places high on all sorts of lists like that. Ames being on there sort of invalidates the whole thing though. Although I guess Ames would be okay place to live if you were older. It's just pretty boring.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 18, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know, it's not enough to recognize obviously-trolling link bait; you then need to actually ignore it since you know it's worthless.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the cutoff seemed to be that approximately 10% of the population be students, which eliminates most cities whose primary employer isn't a university.

I was shocked to see Pittsburgh on the list too. I guess if you go by strict city limits it works.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Hello, do you enjoy tires? What about tires? Perhaps a minor league baseball team centered around the fact that this city used to have a lot of rubber production for the manufacturing of tires? May I suggest Akron, Ohio?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Heaf posted:

Mostly I think there's a difference between "college town" and "relatively moderate sized city with a college in it". Blacksburg was a college town, the center point of it and the only reason anyone ever goes there. Knoxville is a city of about 100,000 with Tennessee at the center. It's a very important part of the city and its culture, no doubt. However, it's a select portion of the city not the whole thing.

e: Blacksburg is not home to Radford. It is in...Radford. Still in Montgomery County, though

I mostly agree with this idea but there are outliers. Ann Arbor is a good sized town that has a lot of people who aren't affiliated with the college, but the school is built throughout the city and pretty much defines what people think of when they hear "Ann Arbor."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I was shocked to see Pittsburgh on the list too. I guess if you go by strict city limits it works.

Yeah, Pitt is easily 10% of the "city" population. At least until those morons organize like they should and merge all the cities in Allegheny County like every other major city in the US did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Numlock posted:

They must have used some metrics that didn't include not being loving College Station.

You think all them Aggies start out that way? Few leave places like College Station with their sanity intact, I would know having living in Lubbock for a number of year.

"I went to A&M and I'm not one of the crazy ones" is something I have said far too many times.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
Their methodology is really hosed up if Tacoma, WA is on there. It's a hole

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

vyst posted:

I think I might riot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UTSA extended Larry Coker though 2018, now making $450k/yr. They're 19-15 since they started playing football in 2011, which is pretty solid, all things considered.

E: And NIU has new outfits. Red on red looks pretty sharp but they have that dumbass adidas tire tread pattern on the shoulders again.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is the least excited I've ever been for college football to start.

• Locked thread