Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

It is funny seeing the people who go all-in on covid conspiracies react whenever Trump tries to take all the credit for the vaccine. Like it's the Death Jab, which re-writes our DNA, makes us dependent on 5G to live, turns us all into spike protein-shedding walking plagues, has killed tens of millions of Americans and is going to completely liquefy our organs Any Day Now!

And then Trump is like "I'm the one who bought you the very good, very safe covid vaccine" and they all go "Hmm. Wow. That's bad. He must have been tricked somehow. Tsk tsk. Anyway, moving on."

I think the Trumper mentality is "Vaccines are bad but Trump made sure they were available for whoever wanted to kill themselves, because he's Trump and he gets things done"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Silly Burrito posted:

These people seriously forgot about Covid.

Nah, it's just lying. Deliberately memory-holing and misattributing anything bad. There were people similarly trying to pin disasters of the Dubya administration on Obama, like Hurricane Katrina and the shitshow response to that. Or how they spent so much of Trump's term pretending they were against US presence in Afghanistan now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

disposablewords posted:

Nah, it's just lying. Deliberately memory-holing and misattributing anything bad. There were people similarly trying to pin disasters of the Dubya administration on Obama, like Hurricane Katrina and the shitshow response to that. Or how they spent so much of Trump's term pretending they were against US presence in Afghanistan now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyN34sFko9w

Where WAS Obama????????????

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Silly Burrito posted:

These people seriously forgot about Covid.

and as far as safety goes, wasn’t there an existential threat to the USA and all its citizens in the form of an unstoppable migrant caravan?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Subjunctive posted:

and as far as safety goes, wasn’t there an existential threat to the USA and all its citizens in the form of an unstoppable migrant caravan?

It never showed up because Trump stopped it. Dur.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

On what loving planet? Because all I remember is layoffs, being broke, having no money, more crime, less law enforcement, being broke some more, getting kicked out of our rental house because the owner wanted to sell with the hosed up housing market, being too broke to buy the house because of the layoffs, then getting covid and brain damage from covid

Seriously it was the worst 4 years I can remember, which is now a struggle because of the covid brain damage

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Runcible Cat posted:

He built the wall after draining the swamp, don'cha know?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I was going to say Cats (2019).

it's actually Robin Hood (1973)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Runcible Cat posted:

hmm, indeed

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wanna see pro dead worm brain propaganda

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Upsidads posted:

I wanna see pro dead worm brain propaganda
Ivermectin is good if you want your brain worms dead (literal ones, at least).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Ivermectin does work if you have a literal worm living in and eating the inside of your brain. Not for many other things, but for the worm, the worm that is enthusiastically going through your prefrontal cortex, chowing down on those pathways that would otherwise enable you to make choices that would allow you to account for both static and dynamic obstacles, yeah it works against that worm. Don't have the worm.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah Ivermectin does work if you have a literal worm living in and eating the inside of your brain. Not for many other things, but for the worm, the worm that is enthusiastically going through your prefrontal cortex, chowing down on those pathways that would otherwise enable you to make choices that would allow you to account for both static and dynamic obstacles, yeah it works against that worm. Don't have the worm.

BRAINWORM '24

edit LET'S GO BRANDONINWORM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First step is don't fall for the propaganda, albendazole was created by Big Worm to keep them inside you!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sorry but I've played like 600 hours of Baldur's gate 3, if I start getting literal brain worms, I'm stuffing as many as I can in there to get cool powers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Professor Beetus posted:

Sorry but I've played like 600 hours of Baldur's gate 3, if I start getting literal brain worms, I'm stuffing as many as I can in there to get cool powers

Remember how people told you that video games were different from reality and you shouldn’t use them to guide important decision?

This is not one of those times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, allow the helicopter mystics to get those worms out from inside of you, the video game shamans are right this time around.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where I get them good worms?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You don't have a worm guy?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scholtz posted:

You don't have a worm guy?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Had to go into the comments section on this one to realize it was anti-trans.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Had to go into the comments section on this one to realize it was anti-trans.

yea, that's how that fable goes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Some Sci fi author ranting about why leftists don't want to travel to other planets

Spoiler for word salad

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 13, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ambitious Spider posted:

yea, that's how that fable goes.

That's :thejoke:, joke being used very generously in this instance.
It's the whole "men saying they're women so they can dominate in women's sports" bullshit that's constantly getting debunked on every level.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Panfilo posted:

Some Sci fi author ranting about why leftists don't want to travel to other planets

Spoiler for word salad

Someone is very, very mad some folks don't see Musk going to Mars as a solution to literally every social, ecological, and economic problem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dienes posted:

Someone is very, very mad some folks don't see Musk going to Mars as a solution to literally every social, ecological, and economic problem.

I mean...Musk going away to Mars would be a net positive for the planet

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Medullah posted:

I mean...Musk going away to Mars would be a net positive for the planet

especially at a terminal velocity.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dienes posted:

It sounds more like he's mad he won't get the opportunity to suck all the Marxists out the airlock.

The gist of it for the people who don't have the patience to glaze over this word salad:

-Leftists don't want to colonize other planets because their ideology is about making sure everyone stays at miserable as possible.

-Low birth rates are bad because more people=more innovators Bing bong so simple but the 2+2=5 folks agree obviously jealous of that and don't want it to happen.

-People will magically invent solutions to every scarcity problem like how humans invented electricity as a solution to running out of whale oil. So pooh pooing the idea of colonizing other planets is just looking backwards.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i actually invented electricity as a way to plate metals onto ceramic vessels in order to create religious objects???

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

-Low birth rates are bad because more people=more innovators Bing bong so simple but the 2+2=5 folks agree obviously jealous of that and don't want it to happen.
I posited the idea before that conservative leaders are simultaneously against birth control and abortion so that we can make more good poor laborers without costing them anything. You might say they don't really think that hard about it and it's just about punishing women for having sex but I think that's more of a really nice added bonus that's useful for getting the usual hateful fucks on their side. Give the masses an entirely different excuse for what you want since for the people running the show getting more power is all they actually care about and all that.

quote:

-Leftists don't want to colonize other planets because their ideology is about making sure everyone stays at miserable as possible.
Straight-up just believing that whatever leftists say they believe, the opposite must be true because empathy for strangers can't exist because I don't feel it and how I feel is objectively universally true. Since my entire political philosophy is emotionally-based reactions that I try to justify with logic any means necessary after the fact, and since they are most definitely lying about the empathy thing, surely they do this as well. Been seeing that a lot

Edit: I briefly tried basically telling conservatives the above post to get their reactions and generally they agree with the proposition that we all lie about feeling empathy for strangers while also very intentionally ignoring the rest and going out of their way to not address whether or not they do, including being directly asked, because they know that at least performatively it is a thing they are supposed to have in order to be moral
Semi-random edit: I remembered Evangelicals have started rebuking the actual words of Jesus for being too empathetic (or woke as they would say). There is one area in which I don't believe His words carry to the modern day (some of the sermon on the mount) and I have pretty elaborate reasons for believing that. Guarantee you none of these fucks think further than "the gently caress is this compassion for the poor poo poo"

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 14, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
This isn't really a foward, but it tripped me out. I was watching this video thinking "stupid authoritarian firemen, endangering someone in the name of safety"...until I saw the username of the content creator. His video page is wile. Blows my mind that someone could have such an open horizon and want to use his skills and lack of normal safety-seeking mentality to promote state/church control of women's bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9UJBOeTVI

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
:byodood: "If you don't make abortion illegal I just might topple off this building!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

J. Jonah Jameson was right

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Which typo was it? "Wild" of "Vile"?

Or did you just accidentally invent a new word that encompasses both?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Both 'wine' and 'vine' came from people typoing Latin grape words, so inventing a new word that encompasses both is always a legitimate best option.

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005

Dienes posted:

A year or so ago, I had some idiot tell me that Musk getting people on Mars was worth ANY amount of economic and social damage, or human suffering it would cause on Earth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Random Axis posted:

A year or so ago, I had some idiot tell me that Musk getting people on Mars was worth ANY amount of economic and social damage, or human suffering it would cause on Earth.

sounds like you found a volunteer

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Random Axis posted:

If someone says this to you, you need to hit them as hard as you can, keep hitting them until they fall over, and then run away.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Random Axis posted:

Musk did say we were going to Mars but it was like eight years ago and he's done literally nothing since.
There's a certain kind of guy that believes everything Musk says and I hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is important for everyone to know: we will never ever ever ever have self driving robot cars. It is never going to happen ever. You will never get into a car and have it take you to the airport with no other human being involved. It's not gonna happen. If anyone says it's gonna happen, they're lying.