Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's all in good fun, and it is much more colorful as well. But I guess you can chill in JESUS SAVES mother base if you want

JESUS FULTONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My emblem just says "CAMP D"

It's only perverted if you're a pervert.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Whats your emblem?

SOLID D

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of reflex is it really necessary to turn it off at all for S-ranks?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RatHat posted:

Speaking of reflex is it really necessary to turn it off at all for S-ranks?

No. You get a bonus if you get through a mission without triggering it but you can still S-Rank without it that bonus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, you don't have to turn it off to achieve an S rank. Your time bonus alone can give you an S if you're fast enough. You should still turn it off though. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it was the second time it happened to me too which is annoying

first time the dude appeared after i reflex shot a guy in the mouth so i thought that would allow them to enter but from what i hear that isnt the case so idk

I like the idea that base invasions could sometimes be amicable, like happens in Dark Souls sometimes. Guy invades your base, has a water pistol fight with you, rolls around on the deck, then leaves.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've done every single mission apart from 48 and 50. I've done 46. Is there any more 'ending' to the game or have I seen it all? Just a spoiler-free yes/no would be good.
edit: and is it just post-game tapes or a real 'ending' with credits and stuff? I've seen (big spoilers):
the quiet ending and the 'you are snake's bff/fake snake' ending

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

Whats your emblem?

CC stamped in front of a roaring lion (that stands for Carbon Cats).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I like the idea that base invasions could sometimes be amicable, like happens in Dark Souls sometimes. Guy invades your base, has a water pistol fight with you, rolls around on the deck, then leaves.

Given the nature of MGS alliances and relationships, I think this is totally how is should work. You should get production bonuses for having your base be "open". When you base is open, your security forces are't automatically hostile to a visitor. They may or may not randomly start shooting. Also, you should be able to take a non-hostile invader as your buddy on a mission. That would be so cool.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

notZaar posted:

Mine is "Girl Snatcher" with an octopus.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it would be a lot more open to that kind of stuff if they made it clearer that they were stealing only FOB generated resources rather than All Your poo poo. Security team is E rank dumping ground so that isn't as big of a deal as well, but it still sucks to lose twenty guys.

E. Also highly visible leader boards and points system fucks it as well since it turns it into a long term dickwaving competition which a lot of people care about for some reason

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm glad I bought Quiet along for Mission 28.

Having a sniper battle with the Skulls was tense as hell, and it was awesome working in tandem to take them all out.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there any real benefit to staffing your FOBs with high ranked soldiers?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

If you fulton 1000 dudes you get the grandmaster fulton certificate which lets you make a fulton grenade launcher for d walker. Please fulton everyone always.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

net cafe scandal posted:

Is there any real benefit to staffing your FOBs with high ranked soldiers?

They wear better gear and are tougher to fight.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What rank makes them wear the sneaking suits?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I guess I'm boring because mine's just something that looks like your average unit patch with a lion crest or some poo poo and my birth year numbers on it, I just wanted something non-descript. Once I unlocked the Outer Heaven one I just changed it to that though.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

randombattle posted:

They wear better gear and are tougher to fight.

Are you sure about that? I have my security set on only using B rank soldiers and they're all wearing battle dress + helmet along with upgraded auto-shotties.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

What rank makes them wear the sneaking suits?

I think level doesn't matter as much as preparedness level, i.e. max prep has them in battle dress

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Dezztroy posted:

Are you sure about that? I have my security set on only using B rank soldiers and they're all wearing battle dress + helmet along with upgraded auto-shotties.

Nope totally not sure. Seems like the higher ranked dudes I fight in invasions are tougher than E rank guys.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Can you CQC and Fulton Skulls?

You can do CQC counters when they do melee attacks and you can fulton them after murdering them, but they disappear shortly after killing the last of them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How Fulton skulls? I only ever get a 0% chance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Mission 12. Oye. Not sure if the Metal Gear bugged or not, but first time in he basically sat on top of the extraction chopper's "entrance" window and wouldn't budge or chase me, making completion literally impossible. :suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yes, yes this will do just fine

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

a dude i was retaliating against appeared despite not having set off an alert??

then my internet cable was knocked out by my ferret

the worst of all worlds

The FOB owner is notified as soon as the infiltration start. It has nothing to do with being detected.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yes, yes this will do just fine

Please do not shame my Snake/Otacon pairings plz

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What is the Water Pistol for beyond a joke anyway? I just know there's some obscure-rear end use for it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

You get the ability to do so from a later mission. You'll be explicitly told when it is possible. Cheers OP

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What is the Water Pistol for beyond a joke anyway? I just know there's some obscure-rear end use for it.

it stuns the Skulls

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

net cafe scandal posted:

You can't Fulton them until you develop the Parasite suit. You can't use them as soldiers or anything, the only value they have is to harvest their parasites so you can make temporary use of their abilities.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

it stuns the Skulls

Does it have any effect on the Man on Fire? I really want to test that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Peewi posted:

The FOB owner is notified as soon as the infiltration start. It has nothing to do with being detected.

Not to say that it isn't still worth being sneaky, since guys you've taken out will still be gone when the defender arrives

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Peewi posted:

You can do CQC counters when they do melee attacks and you can fulton them after murdering them, but they disappear shortly after killing the last of them.

I was quite disappointed that I wasn't able to bionic punch any skulls. They teleported out of the way ever single time. I also tried bionic punching a hear once. It did not give a single gently caress.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Shorts out electronics

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Spray it on quiet and make your sad sad dreams come true

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

No Mods No Masters posted:

Spray it on quiet and make your sad sad dreams come true

skeet skeet

e: but to really make my dreams come true I'd have to tranquilize her??

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

It's nice to have an excuse to strap on the battle dress and bring out the big loud toys though. I'm sure I'm not the one that spends 99% of missions being quiet with the tranq pistol.

I have played the game for 25 hours or something and have not killed anyone. I'm still trying to figure out how to fight the Skulls if I'm actually supposed to fight them with that in mind.

edit: Ah, I may have found out what to do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

notZaar posted:

That sounds incredibly gay but not in the cool homosexual way

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Shorts out electronics

For real, can I use it to silently take out radio equipment? (the indoor ones, not the dishes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vengarr posted:

Does it have any effect on the Man on Fire? I really want to test that.

Yes, but you have to shoot him like 30 times I think (according to the game guide)

• Locked thread