Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LLSix posted:

I found Kerbal completely impenetrable. Not that it was hard per se, I just couldn't figure out how to do anything even after playing the tutorial. Dwarf Fortress was easier to get into.

When did you try it? Really early on it was pretty opaque, especially when bugs would cause things to happen really really oddly. Now a days it's a lot more accessible, especially with some mods and a glance at the thread in Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Waverhouse posted:

W/r/t Harvest moon, I haven't played any of the various versions since the Gamecube version. I'm thinking of getting one, which version of Harvest Moon is the best/has the most new cool stuff since the GC version?

The answer to this is pretty much "the most recent one on your console of choice" (unless your console of choice is a psp in which case I would hold off for another opinion since I've heard bad things about those). The newest one, Story of Seasons for the 3DS, is due this winter so you might want to wait for that.

Also thanks so much for all the Kairosoft comments.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 25, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Waverhouse posted:

W/r/t Harvest moon, I haven't played any of the various versions since the Gamecube version. I'm thinking of getting one, which version of Harvest Moon is the best/has the most new cool stuff since the GC version?

Rune Factory 4. A new one called "Lost Valley" just came out with some voxel elements that I haven't tried yet, but early reviews are promising. For more details there's a whole thread for harvest moon games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Could anyone give me a quick rundown of Starpoint Gemini 2? It looks interesting but I have no knowledge of the series whatsoever. I mainly want to know what controlling a ship is like in the game and if it's more of a sandbox experience or more story/mission driven.

I've played Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, EVE, X3, and Star Trek Online so if it plays like any of those games I'll understand a comparison. I'm also hoping it's a sandbox style game like X3 where you can basically just go do what you want. Also wondering how it plays on a controller.

I tried asking in the Steam thread since it's on sale right now but that thread moves fast and I think I got lost in the current.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Chomp8645 posted:

Could anyone give me a quick rundown of Starpoint Gemini 2? It looks interesting but I have no knowledge of the series whatsoever. I mainly want to know what controlling a ship is like in the game and if it's more of a sandbox experience or more story/mission driven.

I've played Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, EVE, X3, and Star Trek Online so if it plays like any of those games I'll understand a comparison. I'm also hoping it's a sandbox style game like X3 where you can basically just go do what you want. Also wondering how it plays on a controller.

I tried asking in the Steam thread since it's on sale right now but that thread moves fast and I think I got lost in the current.

It's a privateer-like, but you play in the 3rd person controlling a Frigate or larger ship. So not so much maneuvering, but a lot of turret firing and missile targeting. When you start a new game you get to choose whether you want to play with the story or do a sandbox game. The story seems awful and the voice acting makes me want to tear out my own spine so I can in no way experience such trauma again, but you do get a lot of credits from the missions.

Combat seems alright, but for the most part it's kind of EVE like, with the difference being you can manually control the turrets to land more shots than the computer will do automatically.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I created the X3 thread and am probably one of the hugest fans of space sims and I got bored after about 15 minutes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SquadronROE posted:

It's a privateer-like, but you play in the 3rd person controlling a Frigate or larger ship. So not so much maneuvering, but a lot of turret firing and missile targeting. When you start a new game you get to choose whether you want to play with the story or do a sandbox game. The story seems awful and the voice acting makes me want to tear out my own spine so I can in no way experience such trauma again, but you do get a lot of credits from the missions.

Combat seems alright, but for the most part it's kind of EVE like, with the difference being you can manually control the turrets to land more shots than the computer will do automatically.

Thanks for responding, but the sale was yesterday so I had to make the call before your post arrived. I went ahead and took the plunge and I'm generally happy with the game so far. It's not something you can really lose yourself in like X3, but I think I actually enjoy it more because it's so much easier to just find something fun to do in it.

If anyone sees Starpoint Gemini 2 go back on sale during the Christmas sale here's how I would sum up the decision to purchase. If you like X3 for the deep economic simulation and the management of vast assets/resources then stick with that, because that aspect doesn't really exist in this game. But if you played X3 and never bothered getting into factory setups and such because you just wanted to cruise around as a space adventurer then I'd say this game would be a better fit for that play style.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Here is my list of games you should play before you die

- R&C Trilogy, ToD, ACiT and QFB (the rest are forgettable or kind of "meh", ITN is alright), but mainly ACiT as it is one of the best games ever.
- Suikoden I and II, III is debatable and the rest are like yeah whatever, YMMV
- Final Fantasy IX
- Killer7
- Psychonauts
- Spyro trilogy
- Halo Reach (and ODST)

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Hopefully my first request isn't too generic, but here goes:

I am looking for an online multiplayer game where two teams compete against each other toward some kind of goal or objective. I want to avoid first person shooters and MOBAs, and I would prefer something with a little more depth than simply 'go out and kill enemy team'.

Here is a list of games I have played recently along with some thoughts. None of these really fit the description of what I am looking for but it's a point of reference at least..

Dota 2: Love it but looking to avoid MOBAs as they tend to suck me in a bit too much.
Chivalry Medieval Warfare: Fun and hilarious but shallow
Magicka Wizard Wars: Only played a little bit but shallow
Guns of Icarus Online: Only played a couple hours but feels like it is a bit shallow as well.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I really want something that is like The Banner Saga - i.e. really really heavy on story and mood and atmosphere, not so much gameplay, battles, and other actual game stuff. Sometimes a man just wants to get lost in a story and not really be playing a game (or at least not have the main focus of the game be... y'know the usual video game things... if that makes sense).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vrikkian posted:

I really want something that is like The Banner Saga - i.e. really really heavy on story and mood and atmosphere, not so much gameplay, battles, and other actual game stuff. Sometimes a man just wants to get lost in a story and not really be playing a game (or at least not have the main focus of the game be... y'know the usual video game things... if that makes sense).
Get Kentucky Route Zero, its episodic and 3 episodes of 5 have been released, but its exactly what you want and its also fantastic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vrikkian posted:

Obvious answer I know, but have you tried any of the Telltale adventure series?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

mycot posted:

Obvious answer I know, but have you tried any of the Telltale adventure series?

I've played TWD and The Wolf Among Us... and I think like the first season of Sam & Max back in college. If Telltale is my only option that's fine but I was hoping for something I've not played.

I'll look into KR Zero though.. I've heard good and bad things... like the devs just drop off the face of the Earth with no updates about when the next episode is out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vrikkian posted:

I've played TWD and The Wolf Among Us... and I think like the first season of Sam & Max back in college. If Telltale is my only option that's fine but I was hoping for something I've not played.

I'll look into KR Zero though.. I've heard good and bad things... like the devs just drop off the face of the Earth with no updates about when the next episode is out.
It's more that KRZ is made by two guys and they are rather perfectionist so it has been slow going because of that but they tend to release free side-stories in between, the third one just came out a few weeks back. You can play them here. Limits and Demonstrations acts as prologue to the game, The Entertainment takes places between Episodes 2 and 3, and Here and There Along the Echo is between 3 and the upcoming episode 4.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 1, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vrikkian posted:

Start going through the Wadjet Eye adventure games. The Blackwell games start off average and only get better, but Primordia and Resonance are fantastic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
For another recommendation, Gone Home is really good.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Vrikkian posted:

Yeah adventure games and "walking simulators" (no seriously, check out that tag on Steam. It's these kind of games) do seem like what you'd want. Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a good one.

If you want something that has the social interaction bits of RPGs without the combat then maybe check out Consortium which is Mass Effecty chatting with characters on a plane with some (but not much) shooty bits. I also liked this game called Unrest that's isomertric type deal set in a fantasy version of ancient India. It's really low budget, kinda janky and far from perfect but does have a pretty unique atmosphere.

Have you played any CYA/Visual Novel type games? Vlad was pretty nice and I've heard good things about Cinders though I haven't played it myself.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any good games out there like Little Big Adventure? Those two games are great but I've played them to many times.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really want something similar to Spelunky, specifically the features of that game which really struck me were the die and you start over with nothing approach, the fact you could run through a whole game in under 10 minutes and also stretch out a full game to near enough an hour, the clean graphical design and the challenge of setting a high score.

I've never really dabbled much in traditional rouge-likes, they seem a bit archaic for me, I've heard Binding of Issac has similar things to what I'm looking for but I'm not as sold on the whole bullet hell mechanic.

Any ideas?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ramagamma posted:

I really want something similar to Spelunky, specifically the features of that game which really struck me were the die and you start over with nothing approach, the fact you could run through a whole game in under 10 minutes and also stretch out a full game to near enough an hour, the clean graphical design and the challenge of setting a high score.

I've never really dabbled much in traditional rouge-likes, they seem a bit archaic for me, I've heard Binding of Issac has similar things to what I'm looking for but I'm not as sold on the whole bullet hell mechanic.

Any ideas?

Binding of Isaac is not a bullet hell game.

This is a bullet hell game:

This is an early room in BoI:Rebirth:

BoI is a game about careful utilization of your resources, finding alternate paths when you're in over your head, and enormous boss fights - pixel-perfect stepping between projectiles isn't needed here. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you liked Spelunky. Rebirth is 10 dollars on steam right now, and you do not need to play the first game, Rebirth has all of its content.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ramagamma posted:

Any ideas?

Try Faster Than Light if you haven't already. Great rogue-like, got critical and popular acclaim pretty much everywhere, and it's not as harsh as most traditional rogue-likes. It's not a bullet hell game either, you manage a spaceship and her small crew as they try to survive wacky encounters and make it out in one piece. A full run is about 2-3 hours however, but most runs won't be full.

$5 on Steam right now (not daily yet) and can be found on lots of other places as well.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MrBims posted:

Binding of Isaac is not a bullet hell game.

This is a bullet hell game:

This is an early room in BoI:Rebirth:

BoI is a game about careful utilization of your resources, finding alternate paths when you're in over your head, and enormous boss fights - pixel-perfect stepping between projectiles isn't needed here. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you liked Spelunky. Rebirth is 10 dollars on steam right now, and you do not need to play the first game, Rebirth has all of its content.

To be fair, a couple of later bosses basically rip off spell cards from Touhou games albeit dumbed down for your much larger hitbox.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Ramagamma posted:

Any ideas?

Rogue Legacy isn't unlike Spelunky in many ways, it's not a great game though still good enough for a couple of evenings I guess.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how about crypt of the necrodancer?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any 4X games that are kind of like Victoria 2, with a strong focus on economy and politics and populations that have their own desires rather than just being tools for the player to expand their empire? I know the Anno games are focused a lot on trade and economy but I'm looking for something a bit larger scale than that - something focused on building a nation or empire rather than a city.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any 4X games that are kind of like Victoria 2, with a strong focus on economy and politics and populations that have their own desires rather than just being tools for the player to expand their empire? I know the Anno games are focused a lot on trade and economy but I'm looking for something a bit larger scale than that - something focused on building a nation or empire rather than a city.

You might look into Distant Worlds, a space 4x with a unique dual economy focus. You command ships, give build orders, etc as usual, but the actual economy of moving goods from planet to planet, establishing mining stations and gather resources, etc is run by the private sector over which you have no control. A lot of the game is focused on establishing control over the resources you need and building a strong trading economy with your neighbors. Has some internal politics with different alien races, but nothing like Vicky pops, though. Now finally sold on Steam for a reasonable price.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yep, this is 100% Distant Worlds. You can automate literally everything which is a great way to learn how to control it. You have no control over the private sector though, which includes cargo ships (for transporting resources) and passenger ships (for colonists). Absurdly detailed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ramagamma posted:

Any ideas?

Super House of Dead Ninjas

It's a less interesting map than Spelunky but it has tight controls and is just a lot of fun.

fidel
Oct 5, 2005
does not f*ck around
I really enjoy capturing territory, especially in a criminal context. I loved taking over the city in the first Godfather game and capturing neighborhoods in GTA:San Andreas. Capturing control/supply points in Company of Heroes and Dawn of War scratched the same itch, but I'd rather not have to give up everything I've built mission to mission.

So, are there any good organized crime or city takeover games that I've missed? I remember downloading the demo of Gangsters 2 back in high school and finding it frustrating. And I was really excited for Omerta, but then read reviews saying it was just miserable.

Failing actual crime games, I'd be excited to hear any kind of good game that involves the mechanic of taking things over, holding them, and gaining resources as a result.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

fidel posted:

Failing actual crime games, I'd be excited to hear any kind of good game that involves the mechanic of taking things over, holding them, and gaining resources as a result.

The Saints Row series is literally GTA: Silly Edition, and painting the town purple by buying properties is a thing in at least III and IV.

If you’re looking for something a little different, Assassins Creed: Black Flag has you capturing ships for resources and money to upgrade your ship with more cannos, armour and such. I think there is a mechanic where you capture ships to form a fleet and that gives you resources, too.

EDIT: Invented a whole new sequel.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 3, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Saints Row IV is a really slick game and i highly recommend it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fidel posted:

I really enjoy capturing territory, especially in a criminal context. I loved taking over the city in the first Godfather game and capturing neighborhoods in GTA:San Andreas. Capturing control/supply points in Company of Heroes and Dawn of War scratched the same itch, but I'd rather not have to give up everything I've built mission to mission.

So, are there any good organized crime or city takeover games that I've missed? I remember downloading the demo of Gangsters 2 back in high school and finding it frustrating. And I was really excited for Omerta, but then read reviews saying it was just miserable.

Saboteur, which represents takeover graphically in a cool way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just don't play Omerta, it's absolutely awful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fidel posted:

It doesn't involve resources really, but my favorite thing to do in Farcry 3, Blood Dragon, and Farcry 4 is capturing outposts, which give you control of territory. You can approach them however you want, and you have to take out all the people inside to make it yours. If anybody notices you, they can call for backup, and then poo poo gets really nasty. However, you can take them out using stealth so they never call for reinforcements, or you can disable the alarm so they can't call once they alert to your presence. You can drive a car in guns blazing, you can snipe from a nearby hill, you can sneak around shooting them with a silenced pistol like bond, or you can bow / knife your way through them like John Rambo or some poo poo. Then when you're done, you can actually reset all the outposts and do it over again! :v: Its by far the best part of the farcry games and its good times.

If you want more of a feeling of building and controlling things, the best is probably GTA / Saint's Row, as others have recommended. But you just earn some money here and there, so its not a big deal.

The Assassin's Creed games also have similar mechanics, the best of those for that would probably be Brotherhood and Revelations. You get to assault towers/fortresses in order to gain territory, then you can purchase land and shops inside of that territory, which earns you money over time and makes the city look nicer. Capturing the outposts was my favorite part of AC, the story was pretty lame.

You're really making me want like a modern AAA drug wars game. The closest to that was actually GTA Chinatown Wars, which sadly never got a full console or PC release even though it was really good. Its on iOS, DS, and PSP though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

fidel posted:

I was so ready to recommend Godfather to you since it is basically the epitome of this genre. But sadly...

edit: What I can do is give you a de-recommendation, don't play Godfather 2. Also Omerta is like a fancy facebook game. I also second Saboteur, you would love that game. Possibly Red Faction: Guerrilla as well?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 4, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kubla Khan posted:

Rogue Legacy isn't unlike Spelunky in many ways, it's not a great game though still good enough for a couple of evenings I guess.

Rogue Legacy is also totally awesome and I would second this recommendation to anyone looking for anything - a perfect game to tab in and out of as well

fidel
Oct 5, 2005
does not f*ck around

quote:

What I can do is give you a de-recommendation, don't play Godfather 2.

quote:

Just don't play Omerta, it's absolutely awful.
I was really, really hoping to hear the opposite of both of these comments. drat. I secretly thought maybe, just maybe, Omerta was unfairly judged and actually good. And that Godfather 2 was an excellent follow-up to the first.

All right so I'll have to look into Saint's Row IV. I played 2 and 3 to completion but the insanity always kind of gnawed at me as I went. If the gameplay is as good as you guys are saying I'll enjoy it in spite of horrible autotune pimps and dildo bats.

I recently gave Assassin's Creed 3 a chance and it didn't grab me; in fact, it was pretty boring. I gave it a few hours and it seemed like follow waypoint, kill a dude by pressing a single button, boring cutscene about some ridiculous storyline I'm not familiar with, walk around, boring cutscene. There's no way I'm playing that game any more, but should I check out Black Flag? What I've seen of it looks fun, but I don't want to deal with 20 minutes of incomprehensible cutscenes for every hour of gameplay.

e: Saboteur looks and sounds cool. Definitely looking into that. As for Far Cry 3, I played it for a few hours on PS3 and didn't really care about what was going on. But what Zaphod42 is saying makes me think I should give it another chance. Killing outposts full of dudes is usually a great time. I absolutely loved that part of Red Dead Redemption and Godfather. That makes me think, maybe Shadow of Mordor kinda falls into this category a little bit when you're working your way around the map capturing those towers and getting the weapon upgrades. Although as far as I've played you can never clear an outpost no matter how many orcs you massacre.

fidel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 4, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

fidel posted:

All right so I'll have to look into Saint's Row IV. I played 2 and 3 to completion but the insanity always kind of gnawed at me as I went.

The game turns up silliness to eleven, so be aware of that before buying it.

fidel posted:

There's no way I'm playing that game any more, but should I check out Black Flag? What I've seen of it looks fun, but I don't want to deal with 20 minutes of incomprehensible cutscenes for every hour of gameplay.

First, let's say, 2 hours have plenty of cutscenes, but then the game opens up considerably and it's maybe 1 story mission to 3 hours of free roaming.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Saboteur has a territory mechanic (area goes from b&w to color), but it's strictly tied to the story missions which are by no means the bulk of the game. I've 100% the game three times now and the most fun I had was roaming around the map and figuring out the best ways to tackle the freeplay targets. These involve bridge demolition, general assassinations, equipment sabotage, etc. It was really fun running circles around the nazis as poo poo blew up around them and the got increasingly confused. Once you get the uniform stealth upgrade, it was really satisfying laying down a bunch of charges, then casually walk away as you pressed the demolition button and everything exploded behind you. Every part of the map presented a unique way of approaching the targets. Severely underrated game IMO.

And yes, seconding both Far Cry 3 and it's silly spinoff Blood Dragon. Both games offer an explicit territory take-over mechanic and have plenty of opportunity for spontaneous gameplay situations. Especially when you do things like miss your bow-shot and then get spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I played and loved Fallen London for several months. Now I think I've exhausted all my options and I'm rather bored with it. I've picked up the Sunless Sea beta. But are there any games that are similar to Fallen London, both in terms of thrusting the player into a new world they have to settle into and having unique writing and an interesting setting?

I am indifferent to genre/platform.