Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Give this thread a read:
http://m.slickdeals.net/f/6317812-2...rrent-customers

People are still having luck as a brand new customer getting the 2GB plan for $60/mo.
Just checking back in to say this worked no problem. I bought a new phone through the Motorola "Moto Maker" and inked a 2 year contract with Verizon on a Share Everything 2GB plan ($100/mo). Called up customer service and asked for the loyalty plan and the nice woman said I wasn't eligible for it but she'd have no problem signing me up as long as I knew I couldn't tether any more on the new plan. I said no problemo and she switched it over, so now I've got Unlimited Talk and Text with 2GB LTE data for $60 a month. That's $10 less than I was paying with Sprint and as a bonus I not only get service at my house, I get 20mbit of service!

There was a bit of a snafu activating the phone when I first got it. There was an account created but no phone number attached. 3 hours later and *4* verizon accounts created they finally said my SIM was burned and I had to go into the store to get a new one. When the guy pulled me up by the SSN, he looked at me with a giant WTF face like I was the one who had created all these shell accounts. After an hour they finally got it all squared away, ported my number from Sprint, and sent me home happy. A++ Josh from the Tampa Citrus Park Verizon store, would do business with again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED

CapnBry posted:

Just checking back in to say this worked no problem. I bought a new phone through the Motorola "Moto Maker" and inked a 2 year contract with Verizon on a Share Everything 2GB plan ($100/mo). Called up customer service and asked for the loyalty plan and the nice woman said I wasn't eligible for it but she'd have no problem signing me up as long as I knew I couldn't tether any more on the new plan. I said no problemo and she switched it over, so now I've got Unlimited Talk and Text with 2GB LTE data for $60 a month. That's $10 less than I was paying with Sprint and as a bonus I not only get service at my house, I get 20mbit of service!

There was a bit of a snafu activating the phone when I first got it. There was an account created but no phone number attached. 3 hours later and *4* verizon accounts created they finally said my SIM was burned and I had to go into the store to get a new one. When the guy pulled me up by the SSN, he looked at me with a giant WTF face like I was the one who had created all these shell accounts. After an hour they finally got it all squared away, ported my number from Sprint, and sent me home happy. A++ Josh from the Tampa Citrus Park Verizon store, would do business with again.

Just worked for me, thank you for the heads up!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for yet another unlimited data upgrade transfer question. I'm on a family plan with my mother and father, neither of which have data plans. My dad has the ye olde-est dumb phone and no plans to change, so I want to transfer that upgrade to myself (I'm eligible for one right now, maybe transfer mine back to him in this grand shell game). Does it matter that he doesn't have data, for the purpose of maintaining my unlimited? and if not, can someone link me to the post that details how to do it online?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Defenestration posted:

Sorry for yet another unlimited data upgrade transfer question. I'm on a family plan with my mother and father, neither of which have data plans. My dad has the ye olde-est dumb phone and no plans to change, so I want to transfer that upgrade to myself (I'm eligible for one right now, maybe transfer mine back to him in this grand shell game). Does it matter that he doesn't have data, for the purpose of maintaining my unlimited? and if not, can someone link me to the post that details how to do it online?

Doesn't matter. The swap will add the 2GB plan and then remove it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Doesn't matter. The swap will add the 2GB plan and then remove it.
I think you need to cancel the data plan yourself manually, but yeah it won't be a problem.
Process is to transfer your upgrade to your Dad's line, order a smartphone with data plan, activate the phone on your Dad's line, reactivate your Dad's dumb phone, cancel the data plan on your Dad's line, and then put your SIM card into the new smartphone. Make sure to order the phone and transfer the upgrade from the official Verizon site.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

I think you need to cancel the data plan yourself manually, but yeah it won't be a problem.
Process is to transfer your upgrade to your Dad's line, order a smartphone with data plan, activate the phone on your Dad's line, reactivate your Dad's dumb phone, cancel the data plan on your Dad's line, and then put your SIM card into the new smartphone. Make sure to order the phone and transfer the upgrade from the official Verizon site.
Excellent, thank you both.

How's the camera on the Razr Maxx HD? I'd like something that boots super quickly and has a 300ppi option. That and the poo poo charging connection are the main reasons I'm looking to change my GNex.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Defenestration posted:

How's the camera on the Razr Maxx HD? I'd like something that boots super quickly and has a 300ppi option. That and the poo poo charging connection are the main reasons I'm looking to change my GNex.

The Razr Maxx HD was last year's model and they don't sell it anymore, the current model is the Droid Maxx. You think a Google product would be named such that it wouldn't be easily confused on Google searches for last year's phone, but here we are.

Camera-wise, it's the same as the Moto X. The iPhone's camera is decidedly better, but it's not not out and out crap either. Motorola has put out two or three software updates for the camera to improve image processing and it's become a whole lot better than it was at launch.

The Maxx's screen is 294 ppi. The Moto X, being same number of pixels but on a smaller screen, is something like 320ppi.

If wireless charging and a bigger battery matter to you, get the Maxx, otherwise get the X. The battery on the Maxx is seriously impressive; I spent four or five hours on a day trip last weekend driving around with navigation on, and had 60% battery left at the end of it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
As far as the camera on the MAXX goes its pretty much crap. Its an improvement over my old Gnex but the Incredible 1 I had before that honestly took nicer photos. Its definitely serviceable for me because I don't expect much from my phone camera. Aside from that the MAXX is unbelievably good in every way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

As far as the camera on the MAXX goes its pretty much crap. Its an improvement over my old Gnex but the Incredible 1 I had before that honestly took nicer photos. Its definitely serviceable for me because I don't expect much from my phone camera. Aside from that the MAXX is unbelievably good in every way.

Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that Motorola just can't get cameras right. Really, it's probably one of the biggest features that regular people look for in a phone.

They don't care if it runs pure android, or even if it'll keep getting updates. Most people just go "Does this phone have Instagram,
Pinterest, and Vine? OK, good. How's the camera? That good huh? That big screen is pretty nice...

... OK, I'll take the Galaxy s4"

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm curious about the $99 Moto G Best Buy started selling since the New Year. Is this for their prepaid no contract plans only? Does Verizon still block their no contract phones from being activated on their contract plans for 6 months after purchase?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

I'm curious about the $99 Moto G Best Buy started selling since the New Year. Is this for their prepaid no contract plans only? Does Verizon still block their no contract phones from being activated on their contract plans for 6 months after purchase?

Regardless of all that, the Moto G is not a good value on Verizon because it is 3G only and Verizon's 3G is awful. If you insist on getting one just pay $100 more and switch to T-Mobile or buy one of the cheaper better Motorolas.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Verizon's 3G isn't "awful," but ultimately I would not by any means sign a two year contract for a 3G phone at this point

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

FordPRefectLL posted:

Regardless of all that, the Moto G is not a good value on Verizon because it is 3G only and Verizon's 3G is awful. If you insist on getting one just pay $100 more and switch to T-Mobile or buy one of the cheaper better Motorolas.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Verizon's 3G isn't "awful," but ultimately I would not by any means sign a two year contract for a 3G phone at this point

Well, the Moto G is $99 unsubsidized. No contract. I'm not sure what "cheaper better Motorolas" you're talking about. At $99, the Moto G is a great option for someone needing a phone between upgrades, or otherwise needing a phone with Verizon coverage but not wanting to sign a contract.

I'd like to get it for my mother to use on PagePlus, a Verizon MVNO, but I'm not sure if they'll allow it since it depends on how Verizon is handling Moto G activations with their own plans. If the Moto G isn't allowed on Verizon's full-price contract plans, it's probably also barred from the MVNOs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Prepaid phones usually need to be activated on prepaid for 6 months before they are released to be used on post paid (and likely MVNO). So, you are going to be in a minimum of $75 of service on top of the $99 price before you have a chance of using it for anything else. THAT is why it's priced cheaper than everyone else's, because it's not. The cost of service+phone is going to be nearly the same as the $179 price of the unlocked one. Add in the time necessary to make it happen and it's simply not worth it for a MVNO. The same goes for a smartphone between upgrades. You are going to have to pay at least $175 and wait six months before you'll use it.

As far as prepaid goes, anyone that uses a prepaid smartphone on Verizon when there's ANY other service available (except Sprint) needs their head examined. The value isn't there at all. EVDO needs to be put in a coffin and dropped six feet under. It NOT worth $60 /month if there are other options. There are exceedingly few places anymore where AT&T doesn't have a presence with Verizon which makes AIO+Unlocked Moto G an infinitely better choice.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 6, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Nut Bunnies posted:

In central Alabama if I'm on 3G a timeout is almost assured. In my experience Verizon's 3G is far worse than Sprints.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iostream.h posted:

In central Alabama if I'm on 3G a timeout is almost assured. In my experience Verizon's 3G is far worse than Sprints.

It probably varies from location to location. In my experience Verizon's 3G is almost indistinguishable from 4G if I'm not downloading files onto my phone (browsing, navigation, other light data uses.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ugh, not for me. I generally treat a 3G icon like I used to treat a 1x icon. It's a signal to put the phone back in the pocket and ignore it because it's not worth interacting with.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I have little to no trouble steaming music (or the occasional youtube clip) over 3G here in AR.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Geoj posted:

It probably varies from location to location. In my experience Verizon's 3G is almost indistinguishable from 4G if I'm not downloading files onto my phone (browsing, navigation, other light data uses.)

In the Sacramento area it's usable, but substantially worse. Though our 4G coverage is pretty good, I haven't seen the 3G icon in a while.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ugh, not for me. I generally treat a 3G icon like I used to treat a 1x icon. It's a signal to put the phone back in the pocket and ignore it because it's not worth interacting with.
Yup, this is EXACTLY how I treat it.

Honestly, (especially as a former Sprint customer) it doesn't bother me that much since their LTE coverage is so good, it's rarely an issue except in a few spots I regularly visit.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

The Razr Maxx HD was last year's model and they don't sell it anymore, the current model is the Droid Maxx. You think a Google product would be named such that it wouldn't be easily confused on Google searches for last year's phone, but here we are.
jfc, that is indeed bad. Thanks for the heads up.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
So I have two unlocked ATT phones and am using an MVNO that provides somewhat crappy service. I got the idea last night to look at getting a Verizon Jetpack mobile hotspot and use it purely for my smartphone, therefore paying for 4gb of data and nothing else, and then using GVoice for calling and texts. Does anyone have any experience with this, data usage numbers, etc.? I want to be able to just have data, without a traditional cellphone plan, but the Verizon forums talk of massive data charges and such when using the hotspot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google Voice doesn't do voice over IP and all the services that you can hook into them currently (like Groove IP) are going to stop working in a few months because Google is going to shut down access.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Can someone point me to a simple breakdown of if/when it is worth it to use Edge instead of just waiting till June when we're up for our 2 year upgrades?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rex monday posted:

Can someone point me to a simple breakdown of if/when it is worth it to use Edge instead of just waiting till June when we're up for our 2 year upgrades?
It's never worth it to use any of the early upgrade plans because they make you give the phone back.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/19/4536042/jump-edge-next-early-upgrade-plans-compared

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, consider that Motorola has created quite a disruption here even on Verizon. You can buy an X outright for $350 and presumably this trend isn't going to be going away. If you can always buy a phone as decent as the X (in relation to other phones on sale at the time) for sub $400, there's little reason to buy into any of these plans to obtain a subsidized $650 monster.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

rex monday posted:

Do you want to upgrade every year? If so it's cheaper than adding a spare line for contract shuffle, and probably more expensive than buying the phone outright half the time and selling the old one, but a lot less of a hassle. If you value the convenience it's probably fine.

Edit: iPhones depreciate less in a year than Android phones, so that could factor into the value for you.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 7, 2014

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
My Droid RAZR MAXX is giving me some pretty annoying slowdowns and constant random reboots so I'm thinking of getting a new phone. I'm on grandfathered unlimited, so I'm looking to buy a phone outright.

I'm looking at the MAXX, which is currently listing as $499. Was the $449 price mentioned in this thread last month a temporary discount? Moto X is also showing at $499, was the $350 price limited time as well? Direct from Motorola it looks like I can build one for $399 (if I send them my old phone).

Am I missing something?

Also, and unrelated, in recent speed tests I've been getting significantly better Upload speeds than Download speeds. Is that normal? I'm not in the best coverage area but it seems strange to be around 4 or 5 Mbps download and 9 or 10 Mbps up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The $350 price was limited, but the Moto X is now regularly $400 on the Motomaker site.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Endless Mike posted:

The $350 price was limited, but the Moto X is now regularly $400 on the Motomaker site.

Thanks. Now to decide if longer battery life and a ridiculous name are worth $100.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

NewcastleBrown posted:

Thanks. Now to decide if longer battery life and a ridiculous name are worth $100.

I'd say it is. Not having to worry about your battery and actually being able to use your smartphone like a smartphone is pretty nice.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you need help deciding, I'm at 2 and a half hours of screen on time, 2 days on battery and I'm at 60% on my Maxx.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I went the other way and bought the X instead of spending the extra money on the Maxx and I'm happy. I thought I wanted the larger screen at first, but for actual phone stuff I think the X is basically the perfect size. I just wish it had wireless charging, but that plus the battery wasn't worth the extra money for me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NewcastleBrown posted:

My Droid RAZR MAXX is giving me some pretty annoying slowdowns and constant random reboots so I'm thinking of getting a new phone. I'm on grandfathered unlimited, so I'm looking to buy a phone outright.

Also, and unrelated, in recent speed tests I've been getting significantly better Upload speeds than Download speeds. Is that normal? I'm not in the best coverage area but it seems strange to be around 4 or 5 Mbps download and 9 or 10 Mbps up.

Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new phone (not judging you on that, by all means go crazy if that's your motivation) I'd at least give a factory reset a try before spending ~$500 on a new phone over something that is likely software related. A phone that is only now approaching 2 years old shouldn't be having hardware-related hiccups.

Also with higher upload than download speeds, this is almost undoubtedly a result of there being more available upload bandwidth than download, especially if you're in an area with high population density.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Geoj posted:

Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new phone (not judging you on that, by all means go crazy if that's your motivation) I'd at least give a factory reset a try before spending ~$500 on a new phone over something that is likely software related. A phone that is only now approaching 2 years old shouldn't be having hardware-related hiccups.

Also with higher upload than download speeds, this is almost undoubtedly a result of there being more available upload bandwidth than download, especially if you're in an area with high population density.

It is largely an excuse. In the past I've ended up doing a couple or few factory resets before buying a new phone, but they usually only ever kept me going for another couple months. I know if I stick it out another 6 months to a year there will be something better, but that's true 100% of the time!

I just walk in and ask to buy a new phone at full retail and swap out my sim card, right? I don't want them trying to gently caress with my plan.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

NewcastleBrown posted:

It is largely an excuse. In the past I've ended up doing a couple or few factory resets before buying a new phone, but they usually only ever kept me going for another couple months. I know if I stick it out another 6 months to a year there will be something better, but that's true 100% of the time!

I just walk in and ask to buy a new phone at full retail and swap out my sim card, right? I don't want them trying to gently caress with my plan.

You could also get a pre-owned through customer service if you don't mind last year's model. But yeah, you pretty much have the picture.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NewcastleBrown posted:

They may actually decline to sell you a phone at full retail, and direct you to order from the website instead. I've read stories of it happening - apparently sometimes clerks get in trouble for not pushing you to re-up your contract.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm looking for a phone to use as a permanent tethering device.
Apparently there's no way to put a SIM activated on an unlimited account into a Jetpack (although I see this advertised on eBay quite often, it's rather confusing).

So, to that end, I ask you, IS there any way to get an unlimited SIM into a MiFi/Jetpack and, barring that option, what phone has the absolute best reception?
My current Jetpack usually shows 3 bars of 4G in my home whereas my iPhone 5 barely gets any reception at all and frequently trips to 1x (I hate my house so bad).

What would my best option be?

Edit: And for anyone scratching their heads at this: Bought this stupid rear end house in an area convenient to a major shopping area, lots of new construction around, great neighborhood, AT&T actually sent a guy out door to door (this was after the 4/11 tornado outbreak in AL) letting everyone know that uVerse was to be available within 90 days (this was actually the deciding factor to buy because I knew at the time there was nothing available). AT&T SAYS that uVerse is available now, but 'unfortunately' they're at their limit of subscribers and I have to wait/hope for someone to cancel and snag their spot before someone else does.

So yes, it's lovely, I'm trying to hack something together to do something it was never intended to do, but that's really the only option I've got, short of trying to sell the loving place and moving somewhere else and buying another house.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 9, 2014

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

td4guy posted:

They may actually decline to sell you a phone at full retail, and direct you to order from the website instead. I've read stories of it happening - apparently sometimes clerks get in trouble for not pushing you to re-up your contract.

I went in today. I told the Verizon rep that I wanted to buy it at full retail and he obviously knew what I was about. He told me about the 6 gig option but didn't really push anything. He then got my phone number and processed the order on his point of sale tablet thing, I guess like I would have if I'd gone on line. He pointed out where he selected month-to-month for the plan and showed me the line on the bill that said I still have Unlimited data before taking my card.

He was actually the least pushy, most pleasant to work with in-store rep I've ever dealt with. He offered me all the things he was supposed to, but didn't try and push when I said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I have a question for corporate sales employees. I'm looking to jump ship from working in a sprint retailer to a Verizon corporate store. Is there any kind of employee referral hire program? Is it a terrible idea to bring some recent sales numbers along with my resume to the store that's hiring in my area?

• Locked thread