Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake Live is transitioning from a browser-based game to a standalone, downloadable game by the end of the year. It'll still be free-ish, but it'll no longer support Mac and Linux.

Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior Redux are 75% off on Steam this weekend! The entire Serious Sam series is 85% off as well!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

I figured, but in a heated "what Doom game has the least worst levels" conversation emotions can run wild and it can be hard to distinguish sincerity

Heated, uhh, yeah. That's why I tried to drop the discussion earlier. Needless to say, Marathon games really do have the best level names -- aside from those mentioned, I also like "Charon Doesn't Make Change" from Marathon 2. Also, the level "Hang Brain" from Infinity I think refers to a prank of some sort where dudes at Bungie would show each other their scrota -- the idea being that a wrinkly scrotum looks like a brain, hence hanging brain.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

It'll still be free-ish, but it'll no longer support Mac and Windows.

You wouldn't happen to mean that it'll no longer support Mac and Linux, right?

RyokoTK posted:

Needless to say, Marathon games really do have the best level names

Better than Pathways into Darkness? (Still hoping those guys who ported it to Modern Mac can get a PC port out, I'd love to play it)

Edit: vv Oh, I know, I probably wouldn't finish it (it seems more adventure game-y, and I'm not good at them), but I'd like to, just for curiosity's sake.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 8, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only level name that I remember from Pathways is "Beware of Low-Flying Nightmares," and that's because they recycle the joke for a Marathon level name ("Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones").

There really is no reason to play Pathways unless you really want to experience the game's... uh, story. The gameplay is so, so hard to get into. It came out the same year as Doom 1, only Doom was fun to play and Pathways is barely a step up from a text-based adventure.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

If anyone's curious about Pathways Into Darkness but is intimidated by its somewhat baffling game mechanics, there was a Let's Play done of the game a while back that really explored it thoroughly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

You wouldn't happen to mean that it'll no longer support Mac and Linux, right?
Barp. Fixed.

EDIT: Speaking of fixes, redownload Doom 2 The Way Id Did if you're using ZDoom or its variants - it fixes the textures in the (AMAZING) secret levels.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 8, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Gameboy game being a port of MIDI Maze, an FPS for the Atari ST that let you connect 16 computers together via a MIDI networking ring(!) for deathmatch, which was also an adapted version of an FPS written by some high school interns at NASA in the 70s.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
They're making Quake-live standalone?.. wasn't it already standalone before it was browser based? :psyduck:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

They're making Quake-live standalone?.. wasn't it already standalone before it was browser based? :psyduck:

Yes but in the old fashioned way of a CD installer wich even steam version comes directly from (with the latest retail patch on it). This time will be a single file installer and with all the updates quake live had (also better support for widescreen). My steam version of Q3 needed ioq3 to work properly on win7 64.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Guillermus posted:

Yes but in the old fashioned way of a CD installer wich even steam version comes directly from (with the latest retail patch on it). This time will be a single file installer and with all the updates quake live had (also better support for widescreen). My steam version of Q3 needed ioq3 to work properly on win7 64.

How active is the Q3 scene? I've got my copy lying around somewhere, but don't know if it's worth reinstalling. I imagine the people still playing insta-gib me and know every item spawn point etc?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

That's weird. I have Win7 64 bit as well, but I just played a quick botmatch in the original executable without any problems.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Quake Live is transitioning from a browser-based game to a standalone, downloadable game by the end of the year. It'll still be free-ish, but it'll no longer support Mac and Linux.

The browser capability was my favorite part, I remember spending hours at my old job as a computer lab aide goofing off playing Quake while waiting for people to ask why they can't print out a PDF file.

What's really bizarre about this move is that they're dropping Mac/Linux support. They don't seem to explain that move, too, especially since Quake Live was basically the only commercial multiplayer FPS for those platforms.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Segmentation Fault posted:

The browser capability was my favorite part, I remember spending hours at my old job as a computer lab aide goofing off playing Quake while waiting for people to ask why they can't print out a PDF file.

What's really bizarre about this move is that they're dropping Mac/Linux support. They don't seem to explain that move, too, especially since Quake Live was basically the only commercial multiplayer FPS for those platforms.

A lot of valve games are getting mac/linux compatability nowadays. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Segmentation Fault posted:

Of course the time they convert to a standalone client—three years after they should have—they don't release it on Steam. The one thing that Quake Live really needs to survive is that. Dropping Mac & Linux is just the icing on the stupid cake.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
They probably have exactly one dude working at id that is willing to keep that game alive and he can't be bothered to create a launcher for anything but Windows.

I've gone back to QuakeLive for my game of choice about 4 different times now. I'll probably give it another shot when they pull it out of browsers, but my guess is that it won't be some giant addition of new features and benefits from not being on browsers... it'll be the bare minimum to get it to run WITHOUT being in a browser plugin. And that means I won't stick around for very long.

I certainly won't be paying for premium either. I bought Quake 3: Arena like 4 times in my life already. :colbert:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I'm waiting for doomlive to hit. Subscribers get access to dwango2.wad and the chexguy skin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

There really is no reason to play Pathways unless you really want to experience the game's... uh, story. The gameplay is so, so hard to get into. It came out the same year as Doom 1, only Doom was fun to play and Pathways is barely a step up from a text-based adventure.

The adventure elements and GUI inventory are kinda cool, but you walk so, so slowly. The official box copy even uses the word "trudge" and it's completely accurate.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
Ugh, the "downloader" for the quake music file on the front page changed my browser settings and installed "search protection" bullshit. I know I'm an idiot for blindly clicking accept on stuff like that and for downloading an exe for a music file in the first place but is it really too much to ask to be able to trust links on this forum not to do stuff like that? Is there anyway I or some other goon can host the file to link to that is not lovely?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BoredMarc posted:

Ugh, the "downloader" for the quake music file on the front page changed my browser settings and installed "search protection" bullshit. I know I'm an idiot for blindly clicking accept on stuff like that and for downloading an exe for a music file in the first place but is it really too much to ask to be able to trust links on this forum not to do stuff like that? Is there anyway I or some other goon can host the file to link to that is not lovely?

All you had to do was uncheck "Download with sendspace accelerator and get recommended offers." before clicking the download button, then it just downloads normally.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

All you had to do was uncheck "Download with sendspace accelerator and get recommended offers." before clicking the download button, then it just downloads normally.

Yeah I know, I'm an idiot. But is there a reason why it's a part of a downloader executable instead of just in a zip file in the first place?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BoredMarc posted:

Yeah I know, I'm an idiot. But is there a reason why it's a part of a downloader executable instead of just in a zip file in the first place?
It is if you uncheck that "Download with sendspace accelerator" thing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For the hell of it, I went through Shadow Warrior's shareware levels in the hardest difficulty. All I can say is, Jesus Christ. There are so many enemies in the levels that running out of ammo is a very real possibility, even if you conserve ammo with the sword. At some points, I was going from Uzi ammo pickup to ammo pickup, hoping I'd have enough to take out whatever enemy horde was waiting for me next. There weren't nearly enough rockets and grenades for me to handle the amount of enemies they threw at me. I'm pretty sure I killed more Rippers in the shareware episode's hardest difficulty than I did in the retail levels in "Who wants some Wang?" difficulty.

The biggest "holy poo poo" moment I had was the Ripper Valley in level 4. There were 7 Rippers, about 10 bees, and 4 ninjas waiting for me as soon as I came in. The only way for me to win was to jump around the river area while slowly picking the Rippers and bees off with the Riot Gun's single shot mode. It was nuts. My final kill count when I was done with level 4 was 233 out of 266 enemies killed. :stare:

I think I'll be sticking with "Who wants some Wang?" when I want to play SW in the future.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 9, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the Plutonia Experiment is kicking my arse so badly. It's been years since I last played the damned thing and I'd forgotten how evil its level design was - every switch you flick seems to drop you into a goddamn trap full of Mancubi and Hell Barons.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, the Plutonia Experiment is kicking my arse so badly. It's been years since I last played the damned thing and I'd forgotten how evil its level design was - every switch you flick seems to drop you into a goddamn trap full of Mancubi and Hell Barons.

It pretty much gives you a paranoia of ever pushing switches again, really, and it really loves it's traps.

Press a Switch? Fifty Revs up your rear end.

Look at this pick up? Door opens five thousand chaingunners descend on you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It does validate my believe that those complaining about Doom 3 being reliant on monster closets never played the previous games. :v:

I've fonder memories of TNT. Felt a lot more amateurish, and kinda desperate given it's trying to present "real world" locations with the limitations of Doom's art, but I wasn't getting murdered every five bloody minutes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The thing is that Doom 1 & 2's monster closets could contain anything from a zombieman to a dozen hell knights. Or the entire room could be a closet, with the walls just falling away to reveal an army of monsters.

90% of encounters in Doom 3 are 'Two enemies spawn in front, one behind', or '1-2 enemies come out of a closet'. There were about four pinky demons in the entire goddamn game.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 9, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Speaking of monster closets, I kinda get annoyed that a lot of source port maps these days seem to be big fans of just teleporting in enemies using BOOM and up tags and such instead of building in proper monster closets to the actual game area. More of a thing that comes up among bad mappers, but still.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Install Windows posted:

Speaking of monster closets, I kinda get annoyed that a lot of source port maps these days seem to be big fans of just teleporting in enemies using BOOM and up tags and such instead of building in proper monster closets to the actual game area. More of a thing that comes up among bad mappers, but still.

I don't really mind that so much, just when a mapper makes a group of enemies spawn behind you in the same area. If it's just "enter an area and then suddenly enemies", it's alright. I can even tolerate enemies spawning when you pick up key items as long as they don't go overboard with it.

I can't remember the name, but there was some amateurish Duke Nukem map I played where every single keycard you collect and button you press would spawn one or two enemies and they would always be behind you or in the way you're going back to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah it's like, some of these mappers just slap the enemies with a silent teleport into a previously cleared area and don't even bother to do something like a changed texture or some revealed teleport pads to "explain" why they're there. Sometimes this works, a lot of times it just comes off annoying.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Install Windows posted:

Yeah I hate that too, mainly because then the monster count isn't accurate so I have no way of gauging my progress.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My favorite Doom-map-trap had to have been this one keycard room. As soon as you entered the door behind you would slam shut and have bars appear over them, and the key itself sat on a pedestal in the center of the room with plain, flat walls surrounding you, all but screaming "ambush area." Once you grab the key there's the sound of a bunch of doors opening and teleports going off, and the wall ahead of you begins sliding down ever so slowly, revealing...A lone zombieman. Killing him causes the bars over the exit to lower, allowing you to leave...

...into the room you came from, which now has had all its walls removed, revealing an expansive outdoor area chock full of demons ready to murder you.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

ChickenHeart posted:

My favorite Doom-map-trap had to have been this one keycard room. As soon as you entered the door behind you would slam shut and have bars appear over them, and the key itself sat on a pedestal in the center of the room with plain, flat walls surrounding you, all but screaming "ambush area." Once you grab the key there's the sound of a bunch of doors opening and teleports going off, and the wall ahead of you begins sliding down ever so slowly, revealing...A lone zombieman. Killing him causes the bars over the exit to lower, allowing you to leave...

...into the room you came from, which now has had all its walls removed, revealing an expansive outdoor area chock full of demons ready to murder you.

Haha, do you remember what WAD that was in? Sounds like a winner.

BTW, QLZ has been updated to 1.2. It's rudimentary support for skulltag now works with Zandronum, since Doomseeker is a bit overcomplicated for a quick LAN game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wrack is now on Steam Early Access for fifteen of your Earth dollars. It's a retro-style arcade FPS by the creator of Skulltag. I haven't tried it and I'm not entirely sure it's my thing, but I figure it's origins (and a Bobby Prince soundtrack!) make it worth a mention here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Those who got Wrack earlier should have a Steam key in their account/download page on the official site.

Apparently Carnevil hadn't even considered putting it up on Early Access until I suggested it. Let's see how this new build shapes up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I immediately plunked down my 1.5x:10bux: for Wrack and made it through two levels.

It's actually really fun! Has a very fast and light gameplay style and it looks great. Of all the games that tried really really hard to be like old FPSes, this is the only one that I think fairly approximates it. The level design is a bit simplistic, but I can't wait to play with the level editor and see what it's actually capable of. It's probably closest to Quake 2, in terms of style and appearance and level design and so forth -- which isn't the highest of praise, I guess, but I personally rather liked Quake 2.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The visual style in the screenshots reminds me of Champions Online for some reason...

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I'm really liking Wrack. We've had a few new shooters that were marketed as an 'old school' shooter lately, I feel Wrack is the only one I've played that gets it right.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Samsara now has its own Brutal Doom mode, so if you like Brutal Doom's gore but hate SGTMarkIV/its difficulty you can now have it with Samsara settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIfJU7LUGA4

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There needs to be some kind of cornball censorship for Duke with -1 enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

There needs to be some kind of cornball censorship for Duke with -1 enabled.

Maybe lines from Doug Huggem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg