Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

miscellaneous14 posted:

I tried watching a couple of this guy's videos, and nitpicking gets to a ridiculous extent. It really reminded me of this article I read a while ago, in how some people seem to think that pointing out an endless series of tiny mistakes makes good criticism. It really doesn't.

The Plinkett reviews focus way more on why a movie fails in terms of connecting with the audience or telling a coherent narrative the audience can keep up with. Sure he does nitpicks too, but those are mostly meant to be funny asides rather than using them as a lazy way to deconstruct a film.
I'm surprised you're criticizing him on this level and not just pointing out how he uses Reddit & MLP memes, or how you get to literally watch him vomit for a minute in part 2 of the Saw review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Of course now people are bitching about Doug e-begging. :sigh:

I was just reading the thread I think you're referencing, and the guy suggests in the same breath that they blew $200K with Demo Reel. I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't consider this e-begging because the money is going toward a tangible product: more ORIGINAL content for the site, which seems to be what the admins were aiming for with Demo Reel.

Granted, the rewards seem a bit skewed ($750 to get Doug and Rob to watch your lovely AVGN knockoff and force a smile afterwards!), but that seems to be a problem with a good number of crowd funding things. Somebody may be obsessed enough to go for those tiers, but I could be wrong. Good luck to them I say; this might be a shot in the arm for the site.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I briefly wondered why they went with the less-frequented Indiegogo over Kickstarter, as this project has a tangible end point, but I suppose the answer to why is "flexible funding." That said, there's nothing wrong with fundraising for a project ("e-begging?" Really?), so all the best to them.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have to recommend Kimble Justice, who I believe posted in this thread or an earlier iteration of it. He's doing an "A-Z of Licensed Games" series now and is currently up to L. The games he's chosen for some of the letters are quite surprising like the How To Be A Complete Bastard game for the ZX Spectrum.

Also, his Sensible Soccer retrospective series is a must watch.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So, remember that half second shot at the end on the previous Phelous review? It alluded to this. Somewhat NWS, given its a Jacob's Letter review.

I'm keeping this vague since stuff happens on it.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

So, remember that half second shot at the end on the previous Phelous review? It alluded to this. Somewhat NWS, given its a Jacob's Letter review.

I'm keeping this vague since stuff happens on it.

That was actually really good

I wonder if this is a gag or not though

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Does anyone know if there's someone else who does what Linkara does? I enjoy seeing bad silver-age oddities, corporate cash-ins and baffling editorial mandates being torn apart, but I don't want to have to deal with all the problems Linkara has. And yes, I already know that several bloggers do this, but I kinda want to see another video critic who does it. Am I asking the impossible?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If anyone cares, Uncle Yo (The Main Character from Dragonbored) had Rob Walker on his podcast We Are The Geek this week. They talk about Dragonbored, Demo Reel, The Uncanny Valley and future projects for the site.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maremidon posted:

Does anyone know if there's someone else who does what Linkara does? I enjoy seeing bad silver-age oddities, corporate cash-ins and baffling editorial mandates being torn apart, but I don't want to have to deal with all the problems Linkara has. And yes, I already know that several bloggers do this, but I kinda want to see another video critic who does it. Am I asking the impossible?
The personality traits Linkara has often go hand in hand with willingness to record yourself going on and on about comic books for the internet, yes. You're probably asking too much.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I would enjoy (and attempt more than an episode every few months) Linkara more if he wasn't trying to use his voice to punch a hole through the back if my head.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tropes vs. Women: Damsel in Distress Part 3

Rather disappointed she didn't spend much time on the Dude in Distress trope and how it usually plays out, because that's a lot more valuable than the lip service she's giving it before handwaving it as irrelevant and going right back to "here's more examples played straight!" I think there's some valuable gender insight in the Dude in Distress angle - things like, when it's a woman's lover she has to rescue, the game usually spends a lot more time fleshing out the male character and how important he is, while a straight up Damsel is usually no more characterized than a treasure chest. The only game that got any depth was Super Princess Peach where she kind of vomited up the same superficial complaint you'd get from an IGN review written when the game came out.

On the other hand...Jennifer Hale.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think it helps dispel a lot of the arguments put forth against her up to this point, because I never heard the end of people mentioning titles like Beyond Good & Evil as somehow invalidating the games with problematic aspects, or assuming she's biased and wants more games where the woman has to rescue the guy.

For what it's worth, the recent Tomb Raider is very similar to the game she envisioned, in that it starts with Lara being put in a position of needing to be rescued, but instead becomes stronger and overcomes the conflict mostly on her own. It's a shame the game probably came out way after she started making these, since it could have been used as a positive example for her argument.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Zeether posted:

I have to recommend Kimble Justice, who I believe posted in this thread or an earlier iteration of it. He's doing an "A-Z of Licensed Games" series now and is currently up to L. The games he's chosen for some of the letters are quite surprising like the How To Be A Complete Bastard game for the ZX Spectrum.

Also, his Sensible Soccer retrospective series is a must watch.

Hey, thanks - glad you like them! I don't post much, but I do a fair amount of lurking. I particularly enjoy doing the A-Z videos, 'cause it usually provides plenty of opportunities to not talk about games in my game review videos. Here's the latest one you mentioned, for L/Little Nemo: The Dream Master - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9nW4i2BGVc

And I'll throw up a link to my channel page, which also happens to feature one of my own favourites of the full vids I've done - the Great Giana Sisters vid. http://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Well, the Mightnight Screening for The Smurfs 2 is up and, uh,

:stare:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think it helps dispel a lot of the arguments put forth against her up to this point, because I never heard the end of people mentioning titles like Beyond Good & Evil as somehow invalidating the games with problematic aspects, or assuming she's biased and wants more games where the woman has to rescue the guy.

At the same time, I thought there was a bit of lip service at the end of the video when she decided it was okay for Beyond Good and Evil to do it when some of the other games she's highlighted as negative examples have also done this. This is a time when it would have really helped to dive a little deeper.

In retrospect...holy cow, Borderlands 2 is one huge missed opportunity. It has both a Dude in Distress and later two different Damsel in Distress plots. She's only called out the one example of a Damsel with none of the context and she actually grouped it in with Duke Nukem. Since she did tackle the Dude side, I think she could have compared the way Roland is treated when he's in danger versus the two female examples and gotten some useful commentary out of it.

...oh well, I'm not making the mistake of checking gamer sites for a few days after this anyway.

quote:

For what it's worth, the recent Tomb Raider is very similar to the game she envisioned, in that it starts with Lara being put in a position of needing to be rescued, but instead becomes stronger and overcomes the conflict mostly on her own. It's a shame the game probably came out way after she started making these, since it could have been used as a positive example for her argument.

Considering that she's covered games that have come out during production of the video, I think she probably should have addressed this, at least a little.

...okay, but I still can't fault a Beyond Good and Evil fan. Needs more love. Seriously. And her trailer for The Legend of the Last Princess is actually a good step at her directly presenting a counter argument to the culture that she's upset with. Also, Jennifer Hale.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Rebochan posted:

At the same time, I thought there was a bit of lip service at the end of the video when she decided it was okay for Beyond Good and Evil to do it when some of the other games she's highlighted as negative examples have also done this. This is a time when it would have really helped to dive a little deeper.

A little more deeper with Resident Evil 4 would have been nice too: though it is played as Leon as the lead, he is constantly being helped and guided by Ada either through notes about what to expect up ahead or out right getting him out of a tough spot. At the end when she is tied up and suspended, shooting the rope doesn't feel like rescuing the damsel but returning a favor by helping out a friend who in turn lends a helping hand again. It gets used normally with Ashely being a damsel, but her being a damsel feels more on the crux of being some WASPs kid that has rarely come across any confrontation, let alone the kind of stuff Ada has experienced and risen above.

Liked this part a lot more, second one felt like a watching a Tv Tropes show. Really nice that this part had a lot more on the analytics and discussion and went with examples when needed, but didn't have it as the main focus.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Oh my god that Best Buy marine biologist commercial is on every single blip video ever and it's driving me insane.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DoombatINC posted:

Before now I hadn't really thought it possible to hate a movie too much.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

drat, Brad got thin. I'm jealous of the guy.

EDIT: Was hoping someone would of walked by and saw all 3 of them shirtless during the video. Sadly it never happened :smith:

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure those three got put on some FBI watch list. Associating their shirtlessness with Smurfs 2 and all.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I watched all the TGWTG anniversary shorts. Thoughts on each:

Dragonbored. Interesting commentary on people who get lost in heroic fantasies, but in turn never learn anything from these fictional ideals and try to see the joy and excitement in their own lives. Wasn't overly funny, but at least it had a lot of the effort Doug Walker's team has really been putting forth in recent months. Plus I dug the lack of happy ending for the rear end in a top hat main character.

Dragged In. Fairly pointless and unmemorable. They went a long way just to make a "cats poop a lot and are awful" joke (even putting aside the fact I love cats and disagree with this anyway). Disappointing effort from Scifi Guy.

The Reviewers. Pretty in line with the usual Brad Jones faire. A few laughs, a pretty self-aware and informed commentary on what they were discussing. When it came out, I noticed people here saying this was another example of them attacking their critics and being thin skinned and mean about it. I didn't really come away with that. They were taking issue with people who try to get fans by being mean spirited and hateful, as well as those who think getting a fanbase is as simple as making a video and throwing it out there, regardless of quality or effort. A bit of their usual arrogant air, sure, but it didn't feel like over-sensitive defending.

Internet Dating and Me. The gem of the bunch. Mike plays a vapid, arrogant version of himself, and ends up in your classic mix up situation and two people who don't like each other trading insults. And a great ending totally fitting to his usual style. I really don't know why Mike Jeavons isn't more popular. I've enjoyed a majority of his stuff.

The Dark Side of the Internet. I hate to admit this, but I just stopped this halfway through. It was just a circle of "The internet is awesome! But people can also be mean" from various people who make internet videos. I wasn't seeing anything new or profound, just different versions of the same point. If by the end there's some profound revelation that will make me think, please tell me and I'll go finish it. But I doubt it.

Pointless Epilogue. Pointless indeed, but silly.

Really, the only consistent thing with them were Nash's intro bits. I laughed at them every time. Now there's a guy I'd love to see do more scripted stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJ's video was the best, but overall they were pretty bad.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't get Linkara to do one, considering he's the 2nd biggest guy on the site (I believe). I know Lindsay has been on hiatus so I'm sure she was unable to do one.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They tried to get Linkara to do one but he was busy with stuff apparently.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Has anyone seen the Roast of James Rolfe? I didn't know who most of the attendees were, and the more famous people sent videos instead (Nostalgia Critic included), but this roast was very, very funny and I watched the entire thing. The funniest person not there was Pat the NES Punk-- his video output is low but he's probably one of the funnier game reviews IMHO.

There are a few excellent jokes about Doug Walker. :laugh:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Ema Nymton posted:

Has anyone seen the Roast of James Rolfe? I didn't know who most of the attendees were, and the more famous people sent videos instead (Nostalgia Critic included), but this roast was very, very funny and I watched the entire thing. The funniest person not there was Pat the NES Punk-- his video output is low but he's probably one of the funnier game reviews IMHO.

There are a few excellent jokes about Doug Walker. :laugh:

That was great. I've heard of all of the video contributers (except Pat, who was the funniest) but the only on-stage roaster I've ever seen or heard of was BrentalFloss, but it was still pretty great.

Maybe I have a morbid sense of humor, but Pat's Andy Kaufman joke about Keith Apocary totally slayed me despite the fact that I had no idea previously who either of them were.

I greatly enjoyed the multitude of jokes about Mike Matei, especially considering he was just sitting in the audience and was never a presence.

I don't know whether to find this surprising or completely unsurprising, but Doug Walker's take (Just some crappy fake rage ranting about "I HATE YOU NERD! I WILL GET YOU!" until he dropped the act and got serious) was far and away the least funny out of everyone's. By a wide margin. Stuttering Craig was the second worst, but I think I cracked a brief smile at Craig for a brief moment. Everyone else, despite the fact I've never heard of most of them, elicited at least one out loud laugh moment from me from what I can recall.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bff2, You've been missing out!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bbf2 posted:

I don't know whether to find this surprising or completely unsurprising, but Doug Walker's take (Just some crappy fake rage ranting about "I HATE YOU NERD! I WILL GET YOU!" until he dropped the act and got serious) was far and away the least funny out of everyone's.

It's a tie into a really old silly rivalry between the characters that Doug and James had fun with.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a tie into a really old silly rivalry between the characters that Doug and James had fun with.

Well, Doug should really know how to use nostalgia better!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Bennett The Sage did another music review video. I am informed Todd appears to rant about Peter Cetera.

EDIT: Just watched the entire video, and it's pretty boring. Can't recommend it.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 5, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Maremidon posted:

Bennett The Sage did another music review video. I am informed Todd appears to rant about Peter Cetera.

EDIT: Just watched the entire video, and it's pretty boring. Can't recommend it.

I thought I'd give Bennett a shot, but goodness, I was bored listening to this in the background. He strikes me as a good example of a person who'd be better off writing for someone else to perform; he's just not suited to being in front of the camera.

Does have have an relation to Nostalgia Chick? There seems to be a number of resemblances in appearance and mannerisms.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Checkers!!!! NOO!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Aw man that sucks :(

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
That is super sad. I love the silly Ash-and-Checkers MS Paint animations Lupa sometimes tacks onto her reviews (Star Wars and Heidi Four Paws are the ones that come to mind). Plus I have two kitties, so yeah. That sucks. :(:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
13's a good age for a cat. :(

Ghostpilot, as far as we know Bennet and Lindsey are not related. You're right that he's usually pretty dry.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm aware of that, it just wasn't funny at all.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

drat :( Allison, since I know you're in this topic, my direct condolences to you. I lost my cat of 13 years a few months ago. It's tough, but remember all the happy memories.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Brad has a new snob episode with a real dog of a movie about bad dogs titled Dogs.

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/08/05/dogs.aspx

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I bent the criteria of my show a little bit in order to take a look at another David Lynch film - namely, how gender roles and sexuality are represented in Blue Velvet.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Of all people, Doug Walker shouldn't call Sailor Moon annoying. Also, he's doing that thing again where he talks over women on how to properly act and have sexual desires again. And misses big gently caress off plot points that couldn't more spelled out harder if Takeuchi herself wasn't screaming on his ear the plot to the entire thing.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Uh, it's not troper-level bad, but it's still distinctly uncomfortable watching Doug get into pedo-apology.

• Locked thread