Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ingram posted:

From Stephen Amell's Facebook:

Glad to see I'm not the only person who really liked the episode with the royal flush gang. It's the first episode to have the seeds of Ollie becoming a hero and I love that the first thing Ollie does when finding out about a family of bank robbers is try to offer the father a job.

That's a really nice gesture that speaks louder than any crazy trick arrows.

Of course I'm still hyped for all the awesome fight scenes in league of Assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drifter posted:

Queue training montage between Laurel and Ollie after her sister dies (for the last time), at the end of which Ollie gently places Black Canary's domino mask over Laurel's eyes.

Yeah, because the last time something like that was on the show it worked so well. With the Sara stuff it feels like they're calling a do-over with the Huntress, and it seems they've learned some things because they are handling it really well so far. No forced/stupid drama in the present, and plenty of suspense/WTF in the Island backstory.

The first episode of this show I watched was one of the Huntress episodes, and somewhere along the line it went from something I put on when I had absolutely nothing to do to a show that I actually mark out on my schedule. It helps that Amell seems have pulled an Anna Torv-level jump in acting ability.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

I don't mind if Sarah stays the Black Canary. I don't really care for Laurel at this point and Sarah seems to have a lot more history with Ollie as far as island stuff goes.

Also, I wonder if this version of Brother Blood has anything to do with Trigon?

braveplan fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 2, 2013

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Perhaps we should write a letter asking the writers to keep Black Canary as she is, much in the same vein as Slade is currently NOT Deathstroke. (Billy Wintergreen was Deathstroke, remember?) (I'm injecting a little wishful thinking because why would Deathstroke's mask be seen with an arrow through it if it wasn't Slade?) :smith:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I am fairly sure they know how much everyone hates Laurel by now.

It's hard to ignore, after all.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Was I the only one that was confused by Laurel instantly becoming an alcoholic? Then that wasn't crazy enough so she's slamming down pills and wine because gently caress you dad. I feel like I missed an episode in the middle of this one because some guy asked her to dinner, she leaves early and she's apparently drunk as poo poo without any outward signs whatsoever and starts acting extremely defensive and paranoid about Ollie and her dad conspiring against her to be maliciously supportive.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It makes sense that she's trying to cope after almost being killed, but I agree that it feels like there's an episode missing in there. Like I mentioned earlier I don't like that Laurel went from illogically (if understandably) hating Arrow to now being irrationally (but again, understandably) upset at Ollie/her dad. That kind of character can be interesting if given good material and plenty of time to develop or show the struggles/eventual redemption, but the combination of Laurel's diminished screentime combined with Katie Cassidy's inability to do much with said screentime just kind of leaves Laurel as this boring, annoying character. At least her hating the Arrow led to some good scenes and an eventual revelation for her, so hopefully this does too.

e: Also with regards to her BAC, I think it's just a case of the writer(s?) just not really knowing what reasonable levels are and just kind of going with something that sounded ok. I assume the cop telling her dad that she blew .6 over the limit instead of .06 was just part of that as well. And to be fair, .14 isn't exactly 'stumbling over while black-out drunk' for an average person who drinks socially. It's not like they accidentally went with .3 or something.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 2, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
grantgust: So it begins.

(He already shot his material for episode 8 so this must for the later episodes)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only thing i don't like about this season is that everyone is making major life changing decisions because Tommy died. I just remember him as a minor character for most of the first season, and towards the end he was just a major douche. I really don't care that the character is gone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oasx posted:

The only thing i don't like about this season is that everyone is making major life changing decisions because Tommy died. I just remember him as a minor character for most of the first season, and towards the end he was just a major douche. I really don't care that the character is gone.

How does it feel to be dead inside? :colbert:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Warmachine posted:

Perhaps we should write a letter asking the writers to keep Black Canary as she is, much in the same vein as Slade is currently NOT Deathstroke. (Billy Wintergreen was Deathstroke, remember?) (I'm injecting a little wishful thinking because why would Deathstroke's mask be seen with an arrow through it if it wasn't Slade?) :smith:

You know we've all taken that image as some kind of trophy when it could be a memorial to two fallen comrades, Shado and Slade.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Cityinthesea posted:

I am fairly sure they know how much everyone hates Laurel by now.

It's hard to ignore, after all.

It took TWD 3 years to get rid of Andrea, and 8 years to get rid of Lana on Smallville. The entire show Dexter was kept on for 3 years after all the smart fans started hating every character. I am very skeptical that knowledge of the hatred of a character will result in them being killed off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Oasx posted:

Rarity posted:

How does it feel to be dead inside? :colbert:

This! You heartless monster.

I don't believe that they will get rid of Laurel just because many people hate her. And in any case, if she is the only bad character on Arrow I can live with her. She doesn't seem to do too much these days.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

VDay posted:

It makes sense that she's trying to cope after almost being killed, but I agree that it feels like there's an episode missing in there. Like I mentioned earlier I don't like that Laurel went from illogically (if understandably) hating Arrow to now being irrationally (but again, understandably) upset at Ollie/her dad. That kind of character can be interesting if given good material and plenty of time to develop or show the struggles/eventual redemption, but the combination of Laurel's diminished screentime combined with Katie Cassidy's inability to do much with said screentime just kind of leaves Laurel as this boring, annoying character. At least her hating the Arrow led to some good scenes and an eventual revelation for her, so hopefully this does too.

While the breakneck pacing is super legit for every other character, the writer's need to find a way to make Laurel's development feel less awkward and forced. Like VDay said, developing a drinking problem after mourning the deaths of 2 significant others and a sister, multiple near death experiences, as well as living through the trauma of the Undertaking is not the most unreasonable thing. They just have to make it fit with the rest of the show which is taking off.

Now they have to get from struggling near alcoholic -> superhero with Laurel. I don't envy the writers job there.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Everyone is talking about how Laurel went from Hating the Vigilante to looming Substance Abuse too fast, but you need to remember that what caused her to stop hating the vigilante was the realization that Tommy's death was her fault.

Thats the reason she's drinking alot. Self loathing.

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

VBane posted:

Everyone is talking about how Laurel went from Hating the Vigilante to looming Substance Abuse too fast, but you need to remember that what caused her to stop hating the vigilante was the realization that Tommy's death was her fault.

Thats the reason she's drinking alot. Self loathing.

People get it. The complaints stem from the writers not giving us enough time to see the descent. It feels quick which isn't unusual for this show. The writers take a lot of short cuts to get their characters to where they want them even if it doesn't make complete sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was the one bitching constantly about Laurel's absurd vendetta, and I have to say I do prefer her being an alcoholic to that. A) Alcoholism and drug abuse are diseases that you're afflicted with, not something that indicates any personality flaws, and B) at least it's showing some forward momentum as far as her character goes. With this show's pacing in mind, she'll have breezed through all stages of grief in a couple of weeks.

Stage 1: VENGEANCE
Stage 2: Drunk as poo poo
Stage 3: Fishnets?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

It took TWD 3 years to get rid of Andrea, and 8 years to get rid of Lana on Smallville. The entire show Dexter was kept on for 3 years after all the smart fans started hating every character. I am very skeptical that knowledge of the hatred of a character will result in them being killed off.

Laurel doesn't need to be killed off. She just needs to not become Black Canary. She can be all the weird ex-girlfriend Oliver can't quite get over all she wants. She makes a convenient kidnapping victim (as regressive as that sounds). And she's conveniently placed to recover from her alcoholism, become the DA by appealing to the people of the Glades, and completing the police procedural part of the show.

It'd certainly be a step toward unfucking the SCPD.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Warmachine posted:

Laurel doesn't need to be killed off. She just needs to not become Black Canary.

Maybe I missed something, but why would she become that?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Oasx posted:

Because Laurel Lance is Black Canary in the comics. Her first name is Dinah though, Laura is her middle name. Sarah (to my knowledge) does not exist in the comic book universe.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oasx posted:

It was an interview spoiler from last year. REDACTED

e; f, b

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Laurel would make a terrible Black Canary and I really hope they don't go in that direction. Ollie and (apparently) Sarah spent five years going through hell to get where they are and as a viewer it makes sense. I don't mind Laurel being portrayed as surprisingly badass for a regular person (because her father probably taught her self defense) but I'd prefer they don't push it very hard.

Remember when Lana got like 5 karate classes from Lex Luthor and then was portrayed as a supremely talented martial artist the rest of the show? That was horrible.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TheChad posted:

Laurel would make a terrible Black Canary and I really hope they don't go in that direction. Ollie and (apparently) Sarah spent five years going through hell to get where they are and as a viewer it makes sense. I don't mind Laurel being portrayed as surprisingly badass for a regular person (because her father probably taught her self defense) but I'd prefer they don't push it very hard.

She would make a terrible one, but that's not necessarily a problem. I like the idea another goon mentioned that you could actually acknowledge that, and play her development for drama. We've seen a bunch of people that have already been turned into badasses, but we've yet to see anyone go through that process. Theoretically it could make for good storytelling. Yeah, so far Laurel has dragged down the show pretty often, but maybe that doesn't have to be the case. Sometimes actors/characters just need to be given the right role.

If I can take an example from Revolution, Charlie kinda sucked on the first season - both the character and the actress - for many of the same reasons as Laurel. But they've developed/revamped her character into someone that fits the harsh tone of the show way better and it's been markedly better.

Maybe if Laurel had something to focus on other than her own personal drama, we'd get a similar improvement.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 2, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, with the quality of the show I don't think they'd pull a sudden switch to turn Laurel into a badass fighter without giving her a long period of training. Just look at Roy and how much he still gets his rear end kicked.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Solution: Roy & Laurel hook up and BOTH get their asses kicked.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheChad posted:

Remember when Lana __________? That was horrible.

That's not a very good example tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

Yeah, with the quality of the show I don't think they'd pull a sudden switch to turn Laurel into a badass fighter without giving her a long period of training. Just look at Roy and how much he still gets his rear end kicked.

The only person who can at least partially keep up is Diggle and he's a trained ex-soldier. Also Malcolm Merlyn wasn't some weekend warrior they specifically said he too was gone for a couple of years training. The show has been pretty big on the idea that these skills aren't lightly picked up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The only person who can at least partially keep up is Diggle and he's a trained ex-soldier. Also Malcolm Merlyn wasn't some weekend warrior they specifically said he too was gone for a couple of years training. The show has been pretty big on the idea that these skills aren't lightly picked up.

I wonder if he was also a LoA member? He received his training in China right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

His outfit looked a lot like the LoA footsoldier we saw this season already, so that seems reasonale

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diggle is too well trained, actually. Special Forces soldiers get under 100 hours of hand to hand training.

It's a common thing on TV though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

His outfit looked a lot like the LoA footsoldier we saw this season already, so that seems reasonale

Yeah for a second I thought it was The Return of Merlyn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah for a second I thought it was The Return of Merlyn.

Yeah, I'm sure that was what they intended.

The man Merlyn met was probably Ra's.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Aphrodite posted:

Diggle is too well trained, actually. Special Forces soldiers get under 100 hours of hand to hand training.

It's a common thing on TV though.

That doesn't mean he can't train further on his own. And we know he spars with Ollie on a fairly regular basis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

He said he trained in Nanda Parbat which is traditionally the home of a lot of DC martial artists.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really do respect that Roy isn't suiting up and hopping on rooftops yet. The writers are absolutely right that showing a rookie kicking rear end would take away from Oliver's own five year training journey.

Agreed. It would also take away the potential for a really cool training montage of Oliver teaching Roy the tricks of the trade.

On a side note, what connection do you guys think Black Canary has with the League of Shadows? Is this supposed to be the same League of Shadows from Batman? I wonder she and Malcolm Merlyn trained with Ra's al Ghul or some sect/branch of his order.

Edit: League of Shadows or League of Assassins? Or is it the same thing?

Sharma fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 2, 2013

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Sharma posted:

Agreed. It would also take away the potential for a really cool training montage of Oliver teaching Roy the tricks of the trade.

On a side note, what connection do you guys think Black Canary has with the League of Shadows? Is this supposed to be the same League of Shadows from Batman? I wonder she and Malcolm Merlyn trained with Ra's al Ghul or some sect/branch of his order.

Edit: League of Shadows or League of Assassins? Or is it the same thing?

In the comics and on Arrow it's League of Assassins. Nolan changed it to League of Shadows in the bat flicks.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Azhais posted:

That's not a very good example tho

Fair enough. :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair to Diggle, he is a top tier professional body guard. Anyone can train in kravmaga and be flipping bad guys like pancakes in 2 years.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I also wonder if the brother blood serum and the island maybe related. Like maybe the serum gives you more badassery powers and Ollie and other Lance were injected with the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mooseontheloose posted:

I also wonder if the brother blood serum and the island maybe related. Like maybe the serum gives you more badassery powers and Ollie and other Lance were injected with the stuff.

Oh god yes, the nerd rage over having Green Arrow be a metahuman/supersoldier!!!!

• Locked thread