Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Blades has about the same experience as Snake:5 with ten times the danger of being abyssed, and usually very little benefit by the time you encounter it.

Also Sojobo can spawn there. The pro move is to enter it and then leave so that he doesn't spawn somewhere else. Although that way you never know if you are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

busb posted:

Crypt is also in general a waste of turns unless you're desperate for some item of gear or need TSO piety.

My reason is that I'm taking a grand (firestorm) tour of the game :v: having not played since 0.7.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Mention of Vaults and no mention of the real enemy that can go straight to hell? Sentinels are the biggest bullshit.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

kaschei posted:

Blades has about the same experience as Snake:5 with ten times the danger of being abyssed, and usually very little benefit by the time you encounter it.

Also Sojobo can spawn there. The pro move is to enter it and then leave so that he doesn't spawn somewhere else. Although that way you never know if you are safe.

Also speedy antimagic weapons can destroy a caster if you are unprepared.

_jink posted:

My reason is that I'm taking a grand (firestorm) tour of the game :v: having not played since 0.7.
Have fun exploding stuff then! Just hope you don't run into Mara.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brannock posted:

That sounds shocking on its face but isn't really when you consider the exponential nature of the XP curve in Dungeon Crawl.

It's still silly to give advice based on there being less XP in the game, when in fact there's more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

It gives good exp
Am I wrong in saying that vault guards already give 1084 exp, while dancing weapons give only 932? Doesn't seem at all worth it considering they could randomly have distortion and usually there's at least one in hall of blades that does.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

LordSloth posted:

• Recharging will bring a wand up to a minimum of three charges if you're below zero (depends on type), or if it rolls well it can add up to seven charges on those three. This can be quite a steal - you may find a stack of a couple of heal wounds potions, but I've never seen seven in a pile.
I am sure I've had a scroll give me two charges and the learndb says it can be as low as 1. Not that having "below zero" charges makes much sense either!

The real question is, why is fireball on the same charge tier as invis/tele/heal/haste?

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Mention of Vaults and no mention of the real enemy that can go straight to hell? Sentinels are the biggest bullshit.

Oh man, this explains SO MUCH. They DID. And that's why Hell Sentinels are the literal worst \o/!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have always found Blade super easy and a decent source of free exp :confused: Am I just lucky or did it get a huge change recently?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have always found Blade super easy and a decent source of free exp :confused: Am I just lucky or did it get a huge change recently?

Pretty sure the only changes its had have been to make it guaranteed to have at least one rare weapon. The difficulty has always been the same, and yeah I've always found it to be pretty easy. Again, it takes like 5 mintues to clear max, so its not a huge time sink or anything. I've literally only been banished by a dancing weapon once, and it wasn't even one in the Hall, but rather one guarding it outside :v:

I mean if you don't feel you need the exp you could skip it but I've never found it to be anywhere near as dangerous as people make it out to be. Dancing weapons don't have any fancy tricks after all, they just float up and stab you.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's an optional sidebranch with no loot aside from the possibility of an endgame melee weapon.

So sometimes it is quite useful to clear, but people trying to win the game with a good score won't waste the turns (time doesn't matter), and casters generally wouldn't be bothered fullstop. I'd rather get exp while making progress in the majority of games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's easy up until that one time you get banished and aren't ready for it because that glowing weapon was distortion. If you can take the abyss, it's whatever, but otherwise the reward is pretty small for that risk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It's easy up until that one time you get banished and aren't ready for it because that glowing weapon was distortion. If you can take the abyss, it's whatever, but otherwise the reward is pretty small for that risk.

I dunno dude, I've never really had a character that can take Hall of Blades but can't take the first level of the Abyss. This was true, I guess, back when the Abyss was just all one floor, but now it's just a lot of turns of boredom as I get back to the dungeon and kill that stupid hand axe of distortion or whatever.

Hall of Blades has a supremely bad reputation, but it's really no more dangerous than like Elf: 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The other problem is when you run into a bunch of 2 handers that all fly over and wreck your poo poo. Dancing weapons are really fast, annoyingly durable and can hit really hard, especially if your ac is bad. It's just one of those places where everything goes great til something fucks up and you die.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

nucleicmaxid posted:

I dunno dude, I've never really had a character that can take Hall of Blades but can't take the first level of the Abyss. This was true, I guess, back when the Abyss was just all one floor, but now it's just a lot of turns of boredom as I get back to the dungeon and kill that stupid hand axe of distortion or whatever.

Hall of Blades has a supremely bad reputation, but it's really no more dangerous than like Elf: 2.
Dancing weapon stats are extreme. Extremely low HP, extremely high damage and AC, weird values of EV and speed. If you get a little unlucky you can die very quickly.

Also it's guaranteed to have exactly two good weapons from among bardiches, executioner's axes, quick blades, eveningstars, lajatangs, and either claymore or bastard sword (never both long blades; each weapon type is equally likely, so you actually have half as much chance to get the particular long blade you want as any other weapon).

I go there because it's almost the only way for non-Troglodytes to have a half-decent chance at a good anti-magic weapon, but it never really pays off in that respect. I should probably not go. But I do anyway! Because I appreciate a break from "is there a convoker/warden/sentinel in this pack of ogres, yaktaurs, and ugly things? If not tabtabtabtabtab otherwise ~use tactics~."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

kaschei posted:

One time the game really didn't want me running around in there, which I could tell because it spawned both Boris and Mara. I got rid of both of them, but drat.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
In my experience in all the games played as a conjurer-type, I've found that Orb of Destruction trivializes the Hall of Blades.

But then again, Orb of Destruction trivializes just about everything in the dungeon, except for Asterion, Mennas, Donald, and sometimes Wiglaf (depending on whether he spawns with a shield or a two-hander).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Airstrike also used to make Blades stupidly easy.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

:what:

I think it was 2 turns, might've been 3 I guess.

e2: Welp, survived that and got away, only to be abyssed on the second hit the next time I met Sonja. My first hit got her to a tiny red sliver of health, too. gently caress distortion forever.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 22, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Push space, see what happens. Such suspense :D

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

goodness posted:

Push space, see what happens. Such suspense :D

I'm not sure space can take much more.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Ramos posted:

My O and Tab are broken.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Ramos posted:

Apparently it can. The turn I (miraculously) escaped the abyss:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Apparently it can. The turn I (miraculously) escaped the abyss:

Am I a bad person if I really hope she sent you right back?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I hosed off to lair and found Firestarter, then exploded a hydra :D

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012
So I am quite glad I went Kiku on my SpEn. I don't have dispel undead up yet, but you see, I've run into no less than 4 ghosts. Two of them are at the Lair entrance. As a bonus I killed one of Haifisch's FeCK ghosts. It asked something like "What do you have that I didn't have?" I think the answer might have been equipment slots.

But yeah looks like Orc or more dungeon first. This is not the most pleasant position to be in. I knew Crawl was being too nice by giving me 2 wands of haste, a wand of tele, a randart clarity amulet with rF+, and a randart cutlass with elec and rC++.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

UncertainKitten posted:

So I am quite glad I went Kiku on my SpEn. I don't have dispel undead up yet, but you see, I've run into no less than 4 ghosts. Two of them are at the Lair entrance. As a bonus I killed one of Haifisch's FeCK ghosts. It asked something like "What do you have that I didn't have?" I think the answer might have been equipment slots.

But yeah looks like Orc or more dungeon first. This is not the most pleasant position to be in. I knew Crawl was being too nice by giving me 2 wands of haste, a wand of tele, a randart clarity amulet with rF+, and a randart cutlass with elec and rC++.

Doing orc before lair is a viable choice on a lot of characters! I wouldn't worry too much about it just be careful.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

goodness posted:

Am I a bad person if I really hope she sent you right back?

See the "you resist the pull of the Abyss" line? Since like 0.12 you get banishment immunity for a few turns after returning.

Yes, that means that, in old versions, he would've been re-Abyssed literally the turn he escaped.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Banishment; yes, it somehow used to be even WORSE :shepface:

busb posted:

Doing orc before lair is a viable choice on a lot of characters! I wouldn't worry too much about it just be careful.

Yep. If you get a deep lair then it can be really dangerous trying to get into it. In the case, you're better off trying to scrape as much exp/loot out of Orc 1-3 as you can. There can potentially be something that will murder you horribly if you try to fight it (Orc Warlord), but if you play it safe you can usually clear out the first 3 levels. The reason most characters don't bother doing this is because its easier and safer to go through the entirety of lair most of the time.

You should stay off Orc:4 though unless you want to die to a stone giant or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You should stay off Orc:4 though unless you want to die to a stone giant or something.

Stone Giants can show up in there? :stare: I don't think I've ever seen that happen. I mean, you get all kinds of nasty fuckers like Orc Sorcerers/High Priests/Warlords/uniques and Ogre Mages and stuff, and I believe I've encountered Hill Giants down there, but never Stone Giants.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Stone Giants can show up in there? :stare: I don't think I've ever seen that happen. I mean, you get all kinds of nasty fuckers like Orc Sorcerers/High Priests/Warlords/uniques and Ogre Mages and stuff, and I believe I've encountered Hill Giants down there, but never Stone Giants.

I've seen Stone Giants during Orc:1 and that's just during this tournament.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's always the chance that you'll get banished by an ogre mage and run into something much nastier in the abyss. Who needs stone giants when you can have hell sentinels instead?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

They definitely can show up there. I think one of the Orc:4 endings is giant themed, featuring a few stone giants as the boss monsters. Orc can be really nasty, which is why you usually want to stay out until lair is done.

Compeltely unrrelated, but am I the only one who looks at the webtiles sprite for revenants and think they look like an undead Sonic?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I've seen stone giants in orc, but only in special vaults. It's pretty common to see an iron troll or an ettin wandering around orc: 4, but those are usually fairly manageable for any character with ranged damage and caution.

My mad scheme has so far been a success:

Now to see whether or not "noisy" kills me. Smithgod's wrath is fairly nasty. He can summon orbs of fire. It turns out those aren't so bad on an ogre, since a GSC makes short work of them, but I haven't found rMut this game, so after Smithgod and abyss, my character is a mess. I guess it's time to bribe Zin and go with him, at least until I find rMut.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I've seen stone giants in orc, but only in special vaults. It's pretty common to see an iron troll or an ettin wandering around orc: 4, but those are usually fairly manageable for any character with ranged damage and caution.

My mad scheme has so far been a success:

Now to see whether or not "noisy" kills me. Smithgod's wrath is fairly nasty. He can summon orbs of fire. It turns out those aren't so bad on an ogre, since a GSC makes short work of them, but I haven't found rMut this game, so after Smithgod and abyss, my character is a mess. I guess it's time to bribe Zin and go with him, at least until I find rMut.

Holy gently caress, +19 GSC? Do enemies die just by being in line of sight?

Froggeryz
Dec 23, 2008
That is the craziest weapon I have ever seen, holy poo poo. I imagine it doesn't take many hits to kill even pan lords with that thing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I want to see what happens when you stab something with that thing while in statue form.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
pfft, no speed brand not interested

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Stone giants have always been on the regular monster list for Orc and could appear as random spawns. They're just rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

EvilMike posted:

Stone giants have always been on the regular monster list for Orc and could appear as random spawns. They're just rare.

Huh. Either I'm lucky and have simply never encountered them there, or I'm absurdly lucky and have tabbed through them so smoothly that I forgot I'd encountered them. I mostly get ettins, hill giants, and assorted ogres and trolls for my Token Huge Fat Dudes when I do Orc: 4.

• Locked thread