Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Melchior posted:

this is all you really needed to post, bro

:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thats right, ill make fun of a guy for seriousposting, then turn right around and do it myself.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

icantfindaname posted:

he's a tumblr-y self styled critical analyst like sithsaber or smg

In what context are you using 'tumblr' as an adjective, I don't even know any more I haven't been keeping up with my gibbis buzzwords.

That said, thanks for the complement. You are the first person to directly call me a critical analyst. Sweet. I'll put that on my resume.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Fandyien posted:

thats right, ill make fun of a guy for seriousposting, then turn right around and do it myself.

its okay to have higher standards for what you want to watch. no big deal.

critical analysis of anime seems like something that would be offered as a liberal arts elective at a community college. the KLK thread was full of people reading way too much into themes. i dont know, i'm just someone who can enjoy something for what it is, rather than having to justify watching something by overexplaining it. not that you are doing that, but the people you were making fun of were.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if you can't roast a bone and enjoy something dumb w/o doing deep cultural analysis you're a poo poo tard but sometimes its also good to discuss things in depth imo

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

yea but you have to pick your battles. doing something like that to kill la kill will only attract posts like img-molestation-timeline.jpg

i guess i just dont have strong opinions about anything because there is always someone on the internet telling me i am wrong and it is poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the depth of cultural analysis someone applies should be directly proportionate to the amount of tits in a piece of media. the only exception to this is the penthouse movie Caligula which is deep art with boat orgies

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Melchior posted:

critical analysis of anime seems like something that would be offered as a liberal arts elective at a community college. the KLK thread was full of people reading way too much into themes. i dont know, i'm just someone who can enjoy something for what it is, rather than having to justify watching something by overexplaining it. not that you are doing that, but the people you were making fun of were.

Yeah but the KLK thread was also full of people like me who liked to post nice fan art. :colbert:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah but the KLK thread was also full of people like me who liked to post nice fan art. :colbert:

your posts were pretty much the only reason i read it at all (or watched the show) to be fair. other than miyazaki films, i hadn't watched much in the last six or seven years.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Melchior posted:

i remember the adtrw thread being filled with people saying that an anime prompted misogyny. that was funny.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

college history classes have given me this urge to try and read into everything but i think thats probably a dumb one

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

i mean, sure. you can definitely critically analyze anime but what's the point really? the best question it'd answer is 'how does this represent the social situation in japan today, and why is this sort of thing being produced?' And there isn't really any analysis, it's just that otaku have taken over the industry as a whole to cater to their own.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i bet some anime has genuine stuff worth digging out like the environmental message in princess mononoke but like most pop culture the broad swathes of it aren't worth the effort. luckily i never run into anyone who does that poo poo all the time in real life, it seems to be confined pretty much to internets

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

icantfindaname posted:

he's a tumblr-y self styled critical analyst like sithsaber or smg

adtrw posters seem to be shamefaced and reformed 4chan posters from what incan tell

I thought 4chan started when all the really weird posters on ADTRW defected.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Fandyien posted:

i bet some anime has genuine stuff worth digging out like the environmental message in princess mononoke but like most pop culture the broad swathes of it aren't worth the effort. luckily i never run into anyone who does that poo poo all the time in real life, it seems to be confined pretty much to internets

critical analysis of pop anime runs dangerously close to exploring the ground that bronies cover to justify watching My Little Pony. At first glance it's 'analysis' but upon closer inspection its more justification than anything. its a defense mechanism intended to justify what greater society might raise an eyebrow at, because the person is insecure that their hobbies may bring ridicule.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah i dunno i fuckin hate critical analysis in the english-major sense, i'd rather get blazed and watch something stupid because i prefer dealing in semi-objective facts and interpretations

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hbomberguy posted:

In what context are you using 'tumblr' as an adjective, I don't even know any more I haven't been keeping up with my gibbis buzzwords.

That said, thanks for the complement. You are the first person to directly call me a critical analyst. Sweet. I'll put that on my resume.

personally, i would rather watch just about anything than a snake eating its own tail, so this is why i prefer kill la kill as softcore adventure rather than as metacommentary on metanime

Fandyien posted:

ghibli films, revolutionary girl utena, 20th century boys, pluto

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

WeeabooJudas posted:

I thought 4chan started when all the really weird posters on ADTRW defected.

It had something to do with Raspberry Haven, a P2P client people in ADTRW were using to share anime, I don't really know any more about the story than that.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
even tho the blue hair chick and the black and red hair chick are deece sexy anime babes the hottest anime babe of all time for my money is still lum iinvader because she's retro and retro is not only sexy but also cool + i've seen a rash of frumpy fat mexicans from daly city with the ryuko hair and it's bad news.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
fujiko mine....that's another sexy anime babe!!! hell yeah!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Davelord Cheeto posted:

fujiko mine....that's another sexy anime babe!!! hell yeah!

agreed

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Davelord Cheeto posted:

even tho the blue hair chick and the black and red hair chick are deece sexy anime babes the hottest anime babe of all time for my money is still lum iinvader because she's retro and retro is not only sexy but also cool + i've seen a rash of frumpy fat mexicans from daly city with the ryuko hair and it's bad news.

I've been trying to find lum invader online to stream any hints

edit: I'm going critically watch it, this is NOT for fun

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress the ROW posted:

I've been trying to find lum invader online to stream any hints

put "urusei yatsura" into youtube and watch away

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Davelord Cheeto posted:

It's because of the hair products, maybe in a few years Ryuko hair will look nicer.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
first san francisco hipsters ruined the hitler haircut....then gross looking lesbians and fat mexicans ruined the cool skrillex haircut....! and now they're at it agian!!!! ruining more hair!!!!!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I like animated boobs and I'm not ashamed to say it.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Effectronica posted:

put "urusei yatsura" into youtube and watch away

Note to readers: these are the runes for invader lum, in Japanese. I should have thought of this

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no dont watch a takahashi critically its suicide

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Every single one of the misshappen girl creatures at half price book register is a huge takahashi fan, and it's impossible to get them to shut up about inuyasha

edit: that's my review of inuyasha

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 21, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

inuyasha is pretty good imo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

quakster posted:

no dont watch a takahashi critically its suicide

riko takahashi is freaking epic, epic for the win.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

inuyasha is pretty good imo
it's a master of stagnation perfecting her formula after two decades of trial and error

cool monsters, though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
urusei yatsura and ranma 1/2 are both loving awesome like the mackelmore and ryan lewis song ft wanz, + ranma is a boy and a girl at the same time which evn more ecpic in these gender dysphored places forums and times.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
edit: rumiko takahashi.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

is she even doing any new manga these days? i know inuyahsha wrapped up a few years ago.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
if you could choose between rumiko takahashi and all of CLAMP to be your mom(s), who would you choose and why?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Melchior posted:

is she even doing any new manga these days? i know inuyahsha wrapped up a few years ago.

she's proalby living the high life on all the money she earned from manga death and licensing her characters to merchandise companies every now and then

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Davelord Cheeto posted:

urusei yatsura and ranma 1/2 are both loving awesome like the mackelmore and ryan lewis song ft wanz, + ranma is a boy and a girl at the same time which evn more ecpic in these gender dysphored places forums and times.

genderbending was pretty cool, before troons and the let's play forum

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress the ROW posted:

genderbending was pretty cool, before troons and the let's play forum
vidoe gams & epic troonery are just two saids of the sam e coin of self-indulgance ,imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Critical analysis of pop culture stuff is fun because pop culture is what most people actually watch and it's kinda cool getting into the nuts and bolts of really basic stories to see what makes them work

Also the best part of kill la kill was Zorak championing it as the ultimate anime to end all anime and then throwing the thread down the memory hole because it just gave him a boner instead

• Locked thread