Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

blastron posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to pick my translation work up again very soon

I haven't really kept up with the other TLs since turb0 stopped working; how'd they drop the ball? Did they just straight-up stop working on it?

Yepp. 3 groups picked it up, 2 were unreadable and the last delivers chapters with the consistency of jello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
They're currently doing a Twelve Days of Christmas thing, so we might have as much as 12 chapters in the next 5 days. Or possibly nothing since they have 13 ongoing projects.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If I like one series a given translator is doing, I usually check out what else they are working on. This is absolutely never a good idea.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. 3 groups picked it up, 2 were unreadable and the last delivers chapters with the consistency of jello.

Welp. I guess I'll get around to the new chapters... in about 10 months, assuming I keep a 5 chapter/week schedule. :shepicide:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Even the Kumo-chan raws have slowed down. There's only been 2 chapters released in the last 2 weeks.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The author said he's slowing down to 1 chapter every sunday until the middle of January, then it's back to his regular pace of 1 per day.

In other news, the LN is selling better than expected and gets a second print run.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 20, 2015

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
While Kumo may have not updated, My Disciple definitely has. Read more about Chinese internet memes and retarded pig teammates.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ISSTH 350, those dudes should really have figured out that flash step doesn't work when the other guy is spamming clones, it just makes you look really stupid.

Edit: oh my god, that next chapter title :stare:

Algid fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 21, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Kumoko broke into the top 10 on Narou today. ._.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

And now Kumoko got herself a manga as well.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Q&A1 posted:

Q, I think that this won't accepted generally, for a spider lover as me, I am concern about that there's little description of the MC's figure.

A, This is because it's from the viewpoint of the MC.
The MC don't have a mirror so she can confirm her own figure. So I intentionally did not write that part.
I thought about describing it when the brother spider appeared but I didn't do that because I want the readers to imagine its figure.
He was right all along, my verisimilitude is ruined :(

Seriously though I'm having a hard time imagining a character design for a spider that both remains expressive in a visual medium and actually looks right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The gross spider stuff was never as important as Kumoko being a hilarious failure as a person

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

darkgray posted:

And now Kumoko got herself a manga as well.

Wow light novel and now manga as well huh? It seems only a matter of time now before we get our sweet kumoko anime.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
2016 Anime of the Year: Kumoko. Unless One Punch Man season 2 comes out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The gross spider stuff was never as important as Kumoko being a hilarious failure as a person

Hey, she's not a failure as a person. She's an amazing success story as a spider!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Wow, that was quick. Kumo-chan manga is now being translated. I think anime for fall 2016 isn't too far off.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

jwang posted:

Wow, that was quick. Kumo-chan manga is now being translated. I think anime for fall 2016 isn't too far off.

We've already got Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! and Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu adaptations for next year, so I think the quota of Narou titles has been filled. Sorry.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Twin-tails Oka-chan. :3:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

hahahaha oh my god latest chapter of ISSTH has the best loving ending

"WHOOPS WELL THAT'S EMBARRASSING"

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The next chapter of My Disciple will be GOLD when she realizes what's going with her current reincarnation. Also, this next arc ends on a much more serious note than the usual tone.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Lots of new Kumo-chan chapters have been translated. :3:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

hahahaha oh my god latest chapter of ISSTH has the best loving ending

"WHOOPS WELL THAT'S EMBARRASSING"

I love how recent chapters have been focused on the POV of the random people Meng Hao encounters in the Black Lands. His collection of uniquely overpowered techniques and equipment really does make him seem like some kind of bizarre and incomprehensible demon.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Finished up Volumes 4 and 5 of Spice and Wolf... I feel as though the anime made a mistake skipping 4 to get to 5.

The fourth book was fantastic. Not only that, but to leave off where the Lenos arc ends always seemed kinda unsatisfying to me. "Let's not end our journey yet." THE END I know the point of the anime is to get you to want to buy the books but I don't think the way it ends accomplishes that. It just kinda stops.

Also the fourth book's plot has a few tie backs to the first book, so thematically it would be more fitting for a finale. Oh well.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Still reading Honzuki no Gekokujou. While the details of the paper-making-process are probably accurate, the money system they have sure doesn't make any sense for a medieval world.

So they have a currency they call "Rion", but that doesn't really matter, because everyone just says stuff like "3 small silver coins and 6 large copper coins" instead of referring to the currency. They have 7 different coins: The smallest one are small copper coins, which are worth 10 Rion for some reason. Then there are medium and large copper coins, small and large silver coins and small and large gold coins. Each one is worth 10 times as much as the previous one, so a medium copper coin is 100 and a large one is 1000 etc...

And then they also have magical merchant guild cards that allow them to transfer funds between guild bank accounts by touching them together

So basically fiat money while still using precious metal coins, I guess?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

Still reading Honzuki no Gekokujou. While the details of the paper-making-process are probably accurate, the money system they have sure doesn't make any sense for a medieval world.

I think it makes sense, given the circumstances. Lowly commoners don't really learn to count, so they'll inevitably use the simpler "3 of this type, 2 of that one" system, while the more lofty echelons of society have access to education and magic items, letting them get more, uh, theoretical in their monetary exchange. I can't tell how far you've got, but the disconnect between top and bottom rungs is kind of a Thing in this series.

I demand that you like it more. :(

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Avulsion posted:

I love how recent chapters have been focused on the POV of the random people Meng Hao encounters in the Black Lands. His collection of uniquely overpowered techniques and equipment really does make him seem like some kind of bizarre and incomprehensible demon.

i just love the comedic timing and humor in it, it's actually pretty funny given it's a translation of a chinese web novel

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The latest chapter of ISSTH is amazing. So many great characters don't just disappear into the ether like in other chinese web novels, but instead pop up in sensible fashions.

It also helps that in most other Xianxia stories, most of them would have been dead for daring to question the superiority of the MC.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/v655V

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tamba posted:

The smallest one are small copper coins, which are worth 10 Rion for some reason.

Nobody likes pennies

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

I can't tell how far you've got, but the disconnect between top and bottom rungs is kind of a Thing in this series.

I demand that you like it more. :(

I finished chapter 41, so she hasn't met any nobles so far, only the rich merchants. It's not bad, I'm just not impressed by the economic stuff so far, especially if you compare it to Spice and Wolf or Log Horizon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

I finished chapter 41, so she hasn't met any nobles so far, only the rich merchants. It's not bad, I'm just not impressed by the economic stuff so far, especially if you compare it to Spice and Wolf or Log Horizon.

I only ever made it through the first volume of Spice & Wolf, because I thought it was some of the worst drivel ever, but it had more of a textbooky omniscient narrator regurgitating economic facts at the reader, while Honzuki gradually uncovers details about the world as Mein (sp?) climbs the social ladder and starts seeing things from a new perspective. This kind of "discovery exposition" appeals a lot more to me, and might be why I'm so fond of all these stupid reincarnation stories.

IIRC, in Log Horizon, the protagonist basically starts out at the global level, so the economic zone of influence doesn't change all that much? Only vaguely remember it from the anime, though.

Don't miss out on Kenkyo, btw.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kenkyo?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

Kenkyo?

This thing.

Edit: The translation seems to be moving along now as well.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 24, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oh, the #2 thing in the overall ranking on Narou? Never really paid it any attention so far because it seemed like the author just abandoned it...

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

Oh, the #2 thing in the overall ranking on Narou? Never really paid it any attention so far because it seemed like the author just abandoned it...

If it's #2 on the ranking, it's evidence that it's super amazing and not to be ignored. And she updated again just last month!

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm not too impressed with Spice & Wolf's grasp of economic matters myself to be honest. The first book's entire silver thing is a load of nonsensical waffle that only in the end makes sortof sense. Same with most of the other centerpiece story devices, like the pyrite futures trade.

But I guess the books aren't about trading. They're about a guy who meets a god-girl and has adventures while travelling. Hardly any of the trading parts hold up to scrutiny, they're just there to create scenarios for the characters to overcome. It's a shame, though, because the books rely a lot on a sort of economic murder mystery, with an introduction of potential profit or a tricky problem, and an ending reveal of plans and double-crosses. That all falls into the water when the mystery doesn't really follow any logic.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

i just love the comedic timing and humor in it, it's actually pretty funny given it's a translation of a chinese web novel
That's because it knows how to use irony well. The fact that Meng Hao develops a bunch of disguises and separate identities means that there's a lot of dramatic irony when people encounter him without knowing that it's actually him. This chapter 358 for example :allears:

Then there's the parts where the audience's expectations are subverted instead, which recently is pretty much whenever Lord Fifth appears. It's sort of amazing how someone managed to create a genuinely hilarious character based around butt-rape in TYOOL 2015. Also am I the only one that read Lord Fifth's lines in Eric Cartman's voice?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

lord fifth is iago aka gilbert gottfried for me

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Algid posted:

Also am I the only one that read Lord Fifth's lines in Eric Cartman's voice?

Mr. Garrison, for some reason.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

darkgray posted:

Don't miss out on Kenkyo, btw.

Reiterating this. It's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Also if you go to Projects>Recent Updates you can find another 12 chapters that have been translated, but haven't been linked to the project page yet.

https://oniichanyamete.wordpress.com/?s=

• Locked thread