Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sweden gonna Sweden. They're all so dang accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Though it is a little funny that the team that was projected to come in last or next-to-last by most people having to settle for silver is a tragedy.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Sweden gonna Sweden. They're all so dang accurate.

Why wasn’t Sweden Swedening last night? :sweden:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's the nature of tournament events. It's tough to lose the big game and feel good about the medal you get handed in consolation. That usually takes time and perspective.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Come on Team Kim get some aggression in. Beat the Swedes!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

STAC Goat posted:

It's the nature of tournament events. It's impossible to lose the big game and feel good about the medal you get handed in consolation. That takes time and perspective.

I feel like bronze might be a better feeling than silver because you go home having won your last game.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

STAC Goat posted:

It's the nature of tournament events. It's tough to lose the big game and feel good about the medal you get handed in consolation. That usually takes time and perspective.

I think someone said it about the hockey tournament: you win gold and you even win bronze, but you have to lose to get silver

E:F,b

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well this is a massacre.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well at least I did my laundry.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Woe is Kim.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I feel like bronze might be a better feeling than silver because you go home having won your last game.

Yeah. I mean I have no experience at this level obviously but I've been in plenty of things where just placing somewhere can feel good if you go out with momentum and a good feeling. Anytime you finish with a loss it's gonna hurt.

I give credit to the Swedish men for having a little fun at the end and seemingly not letting it get too salty for them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

meet girls at the store posted:

Why wasn’t Sweden Swedening last night? :sweden:

Swedening clearly can't compete with Shustering.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this is, um, not a good way to keep all those new curling fans

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korea taking 1 pt in the 1st end was a sign that they were tight.

Taking 1 pt in the 8th confirmed they lost their killer instinct.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's still nuts that SK is going to get silver, though. I guess we used up all the crazy underdog juice on the US men's team.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Korea just looks listless this game.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

No gold for team Kim, but still an excellent show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SalTheBard posted:

Korea just looks listless this game.

The nerves got to them, it looked like.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hope is a lie

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
So who's ready for when the Brier starts up next week

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So did they give Sweden the men's medal?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in america for more curling you can watch the canucks on the watchespn app

that's all i got :shrug:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
So is curling ever on tv at any other point in time? Because I have really loving enjoyed it and I want to start watching more of it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/Curling/comments/7zqlhw/heres_how_to_watch_curling_after_the_olympics_are/ has a big huge list of options for watching.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

If you're in Canada it's on all the time. Like seriously there's a Grand Slam event or Scotties or Brier or worlds every other week most of the winter. And it's on either TSN or Sportsnet, not channels you probably don't get. If you're not, uh probably not. I think you can see the men's and women's worlds on the World Curling Youtube page (legally) or at least you could in the past.

Grats to Hasselborg, she hasn't won many big events. Would have been nice to see the Kims win though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WatchESPN carries the Scotties and Brier

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ETN000/status/967584266727997441

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chicken posted:

If you're in Canada it's on all the time. Like seriously there's a Grand Slam event or Scotties or Brier or worlds every other week most of the winter. And it's on either TSN or Sportsnet, not channels you probably don't get. If you're not, uh probably not. I think you can see the men's and women's worlds on the World Curling Youtube page (legally) or at least you could in the past.

Grats to Hasselborg, she hasn't won many big events. Would have been nice to see the Kims win though.

yeah espn streams the tsn stuff

nobody streams the sportsnet stuff in america, that should change

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’m trying to see if the Swedes were given the men’s medals but I can’t tell.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m trying to see if the Swedes were given the men’s medals but I can’t tell.

As far as I know the medals got swapped already

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The men got the right medals fairly soon after the ceremony.

ESPN posted:

But when they looked at the medals, they noticed that the back said "women's."

Alternate Joe Polo's was the only one that was correct.

The right medals were quickly retrieved and swapped out.

Shuster quickly brushed it off: "A gold medal in curling is a gold medal in curling."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SalTheBard posted:

So is curling ever on tv at any other point in time? Because I have really loving enjoyed it and I want to start watching more of it.

https://twitter.com/TeamShuster/status/967595021229809664

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I can't wait to see which cable package I'm supposed to be paying for in order to watch whatever 12th end sports is!

EDIT: I thought about actually going to the US Nationals, but I wonder how much fun it is to see curling in person actually. Unless they had camera people and a jumbotron it seems like it would be hard to see what's going on.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Related question: as someone who has been super into curling since the Vancouver Olympics but who falls off every time the Olympics end, how do I stay up to date on it in between? What are the curling news sources worth reading? (I'm in America but don't mind VPNing or whatever if it's really needed.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rescue Toaster posted:

I can't wait to see which cable package I'm supposed to be paying for in order to watch whatever 12th end sports is!

I think they just livestream online, but I have no idea about the quality of the video/commentary.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

It's a pretty well observed effect:

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/negot.%20papers/MedvecMadeyGilovich_ContFactSatisf95.pdf

The moral of the story is to wish silver on your enemies

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So Danny McBride is playing Matt Hamilton in the eventual movie, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh hi Canada Women's Hockey.

How you doing :unsmigghh:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/967534581070036992

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Rescue Toaster posted:

EDIT: I thought about actually going to the US Nationals, but I wonder how much fun it is to see curling in person actually. Unless they had camera people and a jumbotron it seems like it would be hard to see what's going on.

If it's your first time watching curling live I would suggest going to the round robin games because you can see (usually) four games at once. Not sure what the format is in the US but I've been to a few big events in Canada and generally you buy a day pass which lets you see three draws (12 games). I assume you're talking about the one in Fargo and tickets are cheap! https://www.usacurlingnationals2018.com/buy-tickets $10 for a day pass during the week or $20 for a reserved seat and bar service to your seat! I can't imagine the arena in Fargo is huge so you'll probably have good seats no matter where you sit and most of the people there will be old pros who are generally happy to talk to you about curling. It sounds like they'll be streaming it live so there will probably be a jumbotron and they'll show replays of the televised game. The atmosphere is usually pretty relaxed, general etiquette is to cheer for good shots no matter who makes them and NEVER boo or cheer a miss. Do it!

Scythe posted:

Related question: as someone who has been super into curling since the Vancouver Olympics but who falls off every time the Olympics end, how do I stay up to date on it in between? What are the curling news sources worth reading? (I'm in America but don't mind VPNing or whatever if it's really needed.)

The TSN curling site is pretty good although it focuses more on Canadian teams. The World Curling Tour is the money circuit so you can keep an eye on who's lighting it up around the world. They also have a Youtube page with full games from some of the events and highlights of the others. The Grand Slam of Curling is part of the World Curling Tour but it's the big money events in Canada which are televised on Sportsnet. You'll see a lot of the Olympic teams at these events. There's only 7 this year due to the Olympics (3 more coming up!) but there's usually 9 or 10. Also some Twitter accounts or something probably.

• Locked thread