Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soul Glo posted:

I don't have PROBLEMS with it, per se, but I do think it's ultimately silly and a bit ironic to have a game play itself.

Can those prompts be turned off? It's a bit of a kick when you're down to be trying to get a tough to reach star coin in Mario and then have a "Hahah, since you suck, hit this Easy Block and we'll do it for you."

Can't disagree with you enough. If I get stuck on one level of DKCR, does that mean I don't "deserve" to see the rest of the levels?

Man, I loving bought that game. I've got poo poo to do. Maybe I'm sick of losing on this level, and even though I see what I have to do, I'd rather just move the gently caress on and play other levels. There's no reason why a game should have to restrict you so. You can always come back and play that level later, if you were feeling for a challenge.

Now, normally I do tough it out and beat the levels, I've only used Super Guide once. But why does it bother you that its there?

ESPECIALLY when you consider that these games are trying to appeal to hardcore platforming adults and young children simultaneously :colbert: Like what the gently caress.

I think every game ever made should let you skip levels if you loving want to. Its your goddamned money.

If I was competing in a tournament, that'd be different. Then there should be rules. But not when I'm loving playing. I'm here to have fun; full stop. If it stops being fun, I wanna skip the level and move on.

Edit: As was pointed out, in DKCR you have to look for it, its easy to miss that super guide is even an option. In Mario 3D Land, there's no prompt, just a block that you're free to ignore. They have 0 prompts. Dunno what you can possibly complain about, unless its "you guys are playing my games wrong" :colbert: which... sorry buddy, but grow up. That's the same hardcore vs casuals argument that can go gently caress itself.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

http://youtu.be/GRaunKQAN0Y

Nintendo Direct Mini for Europe, says Streetpass Relay is launching in a few weeks and confirmes the Sega 3D Classics are coming to Europe.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A new EU Nintendo Direct was posted today and it says the streetpass relay update thing will be up in a few weeks.

E: whoops, beaten

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

njsykora posted:

I genuinely don't get people's problems with the super guide, it's completely optional and to me acts like a motivator when it's offered. Like "gently caress you this will not beat me" kind of thing.

I agree with this. That loving bat level in DKCR kicked my rear end so many times, and that "well we could beat it FOR you" prompt just made me be like "oh no gently caress you game, you're not gonna beat me" until I finally passed that level. gently caress I loved DKCR

The Super Mario 3D Land thing did get me the first time though because I had no idea it was a thing. So I got it and suddenly I couldn't die at all unless I fell into lava. So that was kind of a :stare: moment. I avoided it later.

I don't think Navi was ever really THAT annoying. But years of joking about it probably makes people think she's more annoying than she is. Though I rarely ever ventured away from the story to do side stuff.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zaphod42 posted:

Can't disagree with you enough. If I get stuck on one level of DKCR, does that mean I don't "deserve" to see the rest of the levels?

Man, I loving bought that game. I've got poo poo to do. Maybe I'm sick of losing on this level, and even though I see what I have to do, I'd rather just move the gently caress on and play other levels. There's no reason why a game should have to restrict you so. You can always come back and play that level later, if you were feeling for a challenge.

Now, normally I do tough it out and beat the levels, I've only used Super Guide once. But why does it bother you that its there?

ESPECIALLY when you consider that these games are trying to appeal to hardcore platforming adults and young children simultaneously :colbert: Like what the gently caress.

I think every game ever made should let you skip levels if you loving want to. Its your goddamned money.

If I was competing in a tournament, that'd be different. Then there should be rules. But not when I'm loving playing. I'm here to have fun; full stop. If it stops being fun, I wanna skip the level and move on.

Edit: As was pointed out, in DKCR you have to look for it, its easy to miss that super guide is even an option. In Mario 3D Land, there's no prompt, just a block that you're free to ignore. They have 0 prompts. Dunno what you can possibly complain about, unless its "you guys are playing my games wrong" :colbert: which... sorry buddy, but grow up. That's the same hardcore vs casuals argument that can go gently caress itself.

Dude, calm down. I even said I didn't have problems with it, just that it's ironic to pay money to play a game and then let the game play itself for you. Seems like every post of yours is a mountain of words, but it's like you don't even read the few sentences to which your unneeded dissertations are responding.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The relay only stores one streetpass. Expected but somewhat dissapointed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sodium Chloride posted:

Wait seriously? What's even the point then

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In NSMB Wii, even being offered the super guide prevented you from getting all of the stars on your profile, regardless of if you used it.

Not sure if that's also the case in NSMB 2 since the one time the white acorn came up I reset the game on the spot.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

Man Nintendo really does know how to gently caress up even good ideas.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

RyokoTK posted:

In NSMB Wii, even being offered the super guide prevented you from getting all of the stars on your profile, regardless of if you used it.

Not sure if that's also the case in NSMB 2 since the one time the white acorn came up I reset the game on the spot.

Yeah, this also sucked preeeetty bad for people who really wanted 100% (which probably meant dying a lot to reach a frustrating star coin) but then couldn't get 100% because they got a help block for their trouble of trying to get 100%.

They may have changed it in subsequent games. At least I hope they would have. I remember people complaining about that.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Macaluso posted:

Wait seriously? What's even the point then

It becomes a sort of referral chain for street pass. You pass it, get the last guy who came by. The next person gets you, etc etc. Here in the US, a simple walk through the shopping mall will yield 3 different nintendo zone hotspots, so it doesn't seem entirely ineffective.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think it depends entirely on how fast it can swap passes out. If three people walk by simultaneously, will it be able to swap through them before the last guy is out of distance?

Edit: Never mind, I get what you are saying. When I walk by, the most I can get is one pass from that relay.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think it depends entirely on how fast it can swap passes out. If three people walk by simultaneously, will it be able to swap through them before the last guy is out of distance?

I would assume that if three people walk by simultaneously they are already StreetPassing each other, so this concern is silly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, that's why I didn't get what the complaint was. In some theoretic geometric puzzle, a handful of people could be passing by a single relay point either on foot or in cars and wouldn't be in range of each other as well, perhaps because they're on opposite sides of the mall or intersection. In that case, would you be able to hit the relay more than once or would you have to "break contact" with the relay and hit it again later to get a new pass?

The answer to this question is relatively pointless, but now I'm wondering.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, that's why I didn't get what the complaint was.

The complaint seems to be that you are only getting one person per relay instead of multiple ones at once. Maybe they could do three per relay? Just enough to make it seem more exciting and not enough to reach someone's full plaza queue capacity.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

njsykora posted:

http://youtu.be/GRaunKQAN0Y

Nintendo Direct Mini for Europe, says Streetpass Relay is launching in a few weeks and confirmes the Sega 3D Classics are coming to Europe.
Great, now we just need to know when the US will get the Sega games...

US blog just posted it, we're getting the games here: http://blogs.sega.com/2013/07/18/sega-3d-classic-series-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 18, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Saoshyant posted:

The complaint seems to be that you are only getting one person per relay instead of multiple ones at once. Maybe they could do three per relay? Just enough to make it seem more exciting and not enough to reach someone's full plaza queue capacity.

Yeah, I get that. I was just wondering if there might be any caveats.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What exactly do StreetPasses do in Mario 3D Land? I have 3/3 right now. I'm not seeing any obvious prompt on the map or menu or anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Minidust posted:

What exactly do StreetPasses do in Mario 3D Land? I have 3/3 right now. I'm not seeing any obvious prompt on the map or menu or anything.

You get some of those cube room things. More large gold coins if you do them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Saoshyant posted:

I guess three would be "better" but since I very rarely get any streetpasses, one at a time will still be a big improvement. Maybe it's something they can adjust if feedback warrants it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
For anyone who has Mario and Luigi, I advice you to drink from the fountain on Mt. Pajamaja. Free HP and BP Restoration. And a drug trip! A glorious, glorious drug trip... :allears:

Also up to after Mt. Pajamaja. I tried out the Boss rematches. Bowser X is, like the real one, a nightmare to fight! Or maybe it's just me who's not used to his attacks. :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Dude, calm down. I even said I didn't have problems with it, just that it's ironic to pay money to play a game and then let the game play itself for you. Seems like every post of yours is a mountain of words, but it's like you don't even read the few sentences to which your unneeded dissertations are responding.

Quick, tell him that there are too many dinosaurs in Monster Hunter, it's hilarious.

This talk of platforming guides reminds me of the Super Mario World guidebook. I think my dad got it for himself back when I could barely read, and it had shots of each individual screen of a map in a long chain for that level's "chapter." I would look at the pictures and wonder why there were so many Marios. Memories~

The thing also had a crazy-detailed history of all Mario games up to that point. Even back then, a brief summary was enough to fill a whole page. Wonder how big it would be today.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
In Warrior's Way what does fortifying your castle do aside from letting you spend more Play Coins to hire more dudes? Is it related to fighting other people from StreetPass or something?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm getting the $30 thing from the Fire Emblem/SMT deal and I'm not super interested in any of Nintendo's first party games. Unless possibly the new Marios are still 3D but aren't like Galaxy, but I just don't like sidescrolling games or Mario galaxy that much.

Is Monster Hunter 3 or Etrian Odyssey 4 a better for quick pick-up-and-fight-dangerously type of gameplay? I played the demos for both and they seemed pretty cool. Or maybe there are some other really challenging ones I'm missing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm getting the $30 thing from the Fire Emblem/SMT deal and I'm not super interested in any of Nintendo's first party games. Unless possibly the new Marios are still 3D but aren't like Galaxy, but I just don't like sidescrolling games or Mario galaxy that much.

Mario Land 3D is exactly this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is Monster Hunter 3 or Etrian Odyssey 4 a better for quick pick-up-and-fight-dangerously type of gameplay? I played the demos for both and they seemed pretty cool. Or maybe there are some other really challenging ones I'm missing.

MH3 is fine for a pick up and do one fight kind of thing but the fights might not be what you consider quick. I'm kind of bad at the game but most stuff takes like 10-20 minutes to kill. EO4 is probably better in this regard since you can hit a suspend save whenever you want and fights are just typical rpg length while generally still being pretty dangerous.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh hey, Earthbound is out for VC! But only for WiiU. :negative:
Is there any reason they won't release it for the 3ds?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Because Nintendo hates money.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

FrickenMoron posted:

Because they have not now nor have they ever announced they were going to do SNES games on the VC.

They don't even have GBA games planned on the 3DS VC, yet they announced they were coming to the Wii U.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

FrickenMoron posted:

Because it's a console game, therefore it won't be in the 3DS' library.

Alternatively, it's an incentive to get a WiiU, and it's probably the best one yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Atlas Hugged posted:

Edit: Never mind, I get what you are saying. When I walk by, the most I can get is one pass from that relay.

If we all lived in cities where we would pass 3 people simultaneously, this Street Pass Relay thing wouldn't even be needed.

I would pass two of the relays on the way to work (one at a Starbucks, one at a FedEx Kinkos of all places), so it will be cool to get 2 street passes a day. But those now having 6 Street Pass games has taken a LONG time to get through each time. Might have to let those street passes max out before playing now.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've been playing a little of DOA Dimensions, it seems pretty good. I've never really played DOA before so I can't speak in depth on the gameplay but it's been pretty cool so far. The cutscenes are without a doubt the worst thing in the game, half of them aren't animated, and I quickly gave up trying to follow the "story"
Plenty of extra modes, online play worked better than I expected, really easy and quick with very little lag. (I got slaughtered of course)
I'm not regretting this purchase, I reckon it's worth buying if you find it cheap like I did.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Skeezy posted:

You get some of those cube room things. More large gold coins if you do them.

It also records clear times for each stage and lists the closest to yours as a Rival on the stage select. Dying and resuming from the checkpoint voids any time record, of course. It's been a fun incentive to replay stages.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Dr. Glasscock posted:

In Warrior's Way what does fortifying your castle do aside from letting you spend more Play Coins to hire more dudes? Is it related to fighting other people from StreetPass or something?

At rank 5 I got the ability to spy on the enemy before battle. I won't know what this actually means until I get enough troops to invade the next country, but since you can already see how the enemy's divided his troops before you fight, the only thing I can think of is it must tell me which order they're going to use them?

Fighting other people's unrelated to that. If you streetpass someone else who's played the game they show up as a rival monarch and instead of adding the miis from their plaza to your army, they show up with the size of army they have in the game itself, but you have to beat them to get them to join you. If you lose then you lose some of your army, if you choose not to fight you just get nothing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because it's a console game, therefore it won't be in the 3DS' library.

Alternatively, it's an incentive to get a WiiU, and it's probably the best one yet.

So are NES games but they still made it to the 3DS.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm sold on the DOA recommenddations, DOA2 was my favorite of the series, so I'll have to pick it up some time. Is there download play, or will I have to convince my friends to get it to be able to play them?

E: I just assume it has online play.

I always assume the 3ds/wiiU VC stuff is because they need to sell more Wii's, but it is still sad.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 18, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

.TakaM posted:

I've been playing a little of DOA Dimensions, it seems pretty good. I've never really played DOA before so I can't speak in depth on the gameplay but it's been pretty cool so far. The cutscenes are without a doubt the worst thing in the game, half of them aren't animated, and I quickly gave up trying to follow the "story"
Plenty of extra modes, online play worked better than I expected, really easy and quick with very little lag. (I got slaughtered of course)
I'm not regretting this purchase, I reckon it's worth buying if you find it cheap like I did.

I actually think DOAD is a better fighter on 3DS than SSF4. Also it's really easy to find dirt cheap now.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

No sign of download play for local multiplayer in DOA, I would also advise against having 3D on, it's hard to hold the 3DS steady in a fighting game and it cuts the framerate down- only use 3D when taking photos of boobs in the 3D photo album

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 19, 2013

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Has anyone tried Attack of the Friday Monsters? It looks promising but based off some comments, it looks like a card battle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

glassyalabolas posted:

Has anyone tried Attack of the Friday Monsters? It looks promising but based off some comments, it looks like a card battle game.

Someone who's already played it gave it a trashing here. Sounds disappointing.

• Locked thread