Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The layout looks really fun but yeah, that playfield graphic is atrocious. It's like they just copy-pasted pyrotechnics and then layered on some photo-sourced cut-outs of WWE stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

King Vidiot posted:

The layout looks really fun but yeah, that playfield graphic is atrocious. It's like they just copy-pasted pyrotechnics and then layered on some photo-sourced cut-outs of WWE stars.

Stern just has this weird thing about making original art on their playfield.

Compare it to RR - it just feels so much better.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The playfield layout looks kind of boring and I hate when they use images instead of hand drawn art, but this machine is definitely a step in the right direction. An all new OS, full LED, LCD display, wifi for updates and that wrestling ring is the coolest toy Stern has ever done. This is where pinball should have been 10 years ago, they've been running in place for far too long.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

T-Shaped posted:

- hulk hogan is making money for signing LEs so he can afford to live

This is not a pro.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Awesome Games Done Quick apparently has a second stream set up for pinball. No idea on the details, somebody's playing Tron right now.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

As a Millennial I posted:

Awesome Games Done Quick apparently has a second stream set up for pinball. No idea on the details, somebody's playing Tron right now.

They have some pinball machines setup by a local guy outside the gameroom with a camera watching people play, is what I gathered

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Potentially dumb question, but here goes.

I'm getting a rather noticeable mark leading out of my shooter lane in what seems to be a really short number of games.

When I first noticed it, it wouldn't just wipe off, so I used novus 2 & 1 which did the trick. Re-waxed a bit in that area, and assumed I was good to go. A couple days later it was back, though at least 90 of so percent of it wiped right off. Fast forward a couple days again and it's back. It's easy enough to clean, and perhaps I'm being paranoid, but does anyone know of a way to keep this from happening? I mean, I know it will eventually happen, but what you see above is the result of maybe 15-20 games. Is that normal?

For the record, all the balls in the machine were new (And cleaned.) when the table was purchased two weeks ago.

One thought - is it possible that the ball trough is dirty enough to be causing this? Best way of cleaning it out if so? (I reached in an ran a finger along a part of it and it seemed clean.)

Edit - also, any advice on reducing glare on the playfield from the translite? I have a glare guard that blocks the DMD just fine, but am getting a pretty bad glare from the backbox. I've read that you can paint the front half of the fluorescent bulb black to try to help, as well as doing something as simple as wrapping a couple sheets of paper around the bulb. Anyone try anything like that?

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 5, 2015

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

One thought - is it possible that the ball trough is dirty enough to be causing this? Best way of cleaning it out if so? (I reached in an ran a finger along a part of it and it seemed clean.)
There is a good chance you have too much wax on your playfield, so it's depositing on the ball and then building up on the heavily traveled areas. I would just keep wiping it down whenever you have the glass off and keep wiping off the balls whenever you have them out. People generally use way too much wax for home use, unless it's actual wood/paint it's not really needed for protection. I route a game with Diamond Plate and only wax it every 500 or so plays and that's just to keep ball speeds up.

Tony Phillips posted:

Also, any advice on reducing glare on the playfield from the translite? I have a glare guard that blocks the DMD just fine, but am getting a pretty bad glare from the backbox. I've read that you can paint the front half of the fluorescent bulb black to try to help, as well as doing something as simple as wrapping a couple sheets of paper around the bulb. Anyone try anything like that?
You can get LED conversion kits that would allow you to choose different temperature or diffused bulbs.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

[quote="T-Shaped" post="""]
- the callouts will not be macho man randy savage
[/quote]

He needs his own machine.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lone Goat posted:

This is not a pro.

Hey, a guy's got to earn a living somehow to fill his family's shoes with meat.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

There is a good chance you have too much wax on your playfield, so it's depositing on the ball and then building up on the heavily traveled areas. I would just keep wiping it down whenever you have the glass off and keep wiping off the balls whenever you have them out. People generally use way too much wax for home use, unless it's actual wood/paint it's not really needed for protection. I route a game with Diamond Plate and only wax it every 500 or so plays and that's just to keep ball speeds up.
You can get LED conversion kits that would allow you to choose different temperature or diffused bulbs.

Thanks for the input. Will clean the line (and the balls) again, give the playfield a wipe down and let it be.

I know of LED kits for the translite but don't care to drop the $$$ for one. (Though I couldn't help but put a couple green LEDs in the cooling towers.) Just looking for a cheap alternative for cutting back on the glare. Think I'll try the paper around the fluorescent tube and see if that helps. If not, I found a suggestion to try a fluorescent tube cover. May make the translite less bright and all, but I think it would be worth it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's just dirt. Could be coming from anywhere. If it's popping up a lot you might want to just go through the machine and clean it thoroughly (the ball is picking up the dirt somewhere!). What I do is clean the area and then put some Carnuba wax in the area for protection.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

T-Shaped posted:

Stern just has this weird thing about making original art on their playfield.

Compare it to RR - it just feels so much better.

I've read that it has less to do with Stern, and more to do with what the licensors will allow. Sounds like in a lot of cases, a licensor will give the company a portfolio of photographs and art assets to work with. Artistic interpretations need to pass inspection by both the licensor, and the individual it depicts, making it just easier to plaster it with whatever photos they're allowed to use.

If you're bored, go read through pinside's thread where one of Dutch Pinball's businessmen has a meltdown and talks about working with Universal, their license on the Big Lebowski, and what they are and aren't allowed to do with John Goodman's likeness.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, I think WWE is known for being real picky on how their license is used (someone mentioned the HHH in a defensive/prone position earlier). They probably just get the approved clipart and have to work off that. Metallica was unique because they were pinball fans and involved in the making of the machine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm excited to play the table. Their playfield designs have gotten stale and this looks like something unique. Would the ring work off magnets like TZ's mini-playfield?

I think the LCD display will just be a mini monitor above the ring. Sort of like the "Titantron" they use at events. It'd be cool if the monitor synced with the gameplay but I have a feeling it'll just be bling that'll show a loop of wrestling action. I'm sure it'll be something that people mod quickly.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Niwrad posted:

I think the LCD display will just be a mini monitor above the ring. Sort of like the "Titantron" they use at events. It'd be cool if the monitor synced with the gameplay but I have a feeling it'll just be bling that'll show a loop of wrestling action. I'm sure it'll be something that people mod quickly.

Woah, I hope theres like wrestler entrances with music.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

roffels posted:

I've read that it has less to do with Stern, and more to do with what the licensors will allow. Sounds like in a lot of cases, a licensor will give the company a portfolio of photographs and art assets to work with. Artistic interpretations need to pass inspection by both the licensor, and the individual it depicts, making it just easier to plaster it with whatever photos they're allowed to use.

If you're bored, go read through pinside's thread where one of Dutch Pinball's businessmen has a meltdown and talks about working with Universal, their license on the Big Lebowski, and what they are and aren't allowed to do with John Goodman's likeness.

Yeah - I remember watching a bit of the JJP presentation on Hobbit and how running with the boulder crushing goblins wasn't OK for a multiball start animation, but Smaug breathing fire was. It's just weird.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Clouseau posted:

According to the game's press release this is the first game using their new generation of hardware, and the LE has an LCD screen (though it mentions that it will just play wrestling footage, so maybe it will have both a DMD and an LCD? I don't think they'd bother doubling up everything for it).

edit (more pics):

That wrestling ring toy looks pretty cool. It's been a while since they've had something that inventive on a game, hopefully it plays well.

As with most Sterns, its a graphic design nightmare, but I'm liking how Christ-like the Daniel Bryan flying headbutt pose looks like between the jet bumpers.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Niwrad posted:

It's just dirt. Could be coming from anywhere. If it's popping up a lot you might want to just go through the machine and clean it thoroughly (the ball is picking up the dirt somewhere!). What I do is clean the area and then put some Carnuba wax in the area for protection.

It had been pretty thoroughly gone through right before I got it, so I think tonedef might be onto the cause. When I first used the novus products to get rid of the mark I re-waxed over the area, as well as some of the main playfield while I was at it. Then did the same again the second time. Probably total overkill and causing more problems than anything. I feel like an obnoxious new parent freaking out over every little thing with this table. Which would make this thread my facebook. At least I'm not posting pics of a toddler taking a dump.

Just taped a couple sheets of paper over the fluorescent bulb while I was at it. Instant cheap homemade diffuser. Did cut down on the glare a decent amount though the backglass isn't as illuminated either. More or less as expected. Looks crappy though, and even though the tube is barely warm to the touch it seems crazy to have a piece of paper in there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It could definitely be wax. I just think it's impossible to clean everything on a pinball machine. Everything from the troughs to the drop targets have some dirt on them. Even my new machine which had never been waxed got some ball trails after a few weeks (and this in a clean house).

As for the glare, I haven't been able to fully figure that out either. I did buy some of that anti-glare glass which helps. But it's way overpriced and I don't think the advantage is worth the cost. The nice thing is if you have more than one machine you can swap it in to whatever machine you are playing most. I bought some of these glare eliminators off Pinside which help a little with the DMD glare. Otherwise I've either unplugged the light connector in the backglass when playing or just took out a few of the bulbs so that it's not as bright. I think the lighting in the room you are playing in can play a role too so maybe tinker with that a bit. It seems like a problem with the older machines as I've never noticed it on any Stern tables I've played.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

There's a beautifully maintained SPP locally that's absolutely un-loving- playable because the glare from the box is so bad. Can't see any of the upper play field. I try every few months but it's never worth it.

E: there's also a completely busted local one, have been to alien invasion twice with. This one I think I've managed to start one mission a couple times maybe.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 6, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When did Stern move to the Fluorescent tube? That seems to help a lot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm finally getting around to going to Pinball Wizard this weekend. Looking forward to getting to play BK2K and Creature on real tables. Is Guns N Roses a new pin, in the Metallica/ACDC line? I'll probably just spend most of the time playing Revolution X and Samurai Showdown 2, in any case.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GnR is a Data East table, right?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

LordPants posted:

GnR is a Data East table, right?

Yeah. A pretty decent one in my (non GnR loving) opinion.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Yea, it's likely the old GnR table from years back, there wasn't a recent one made. It's a pretty cool table but it's not wall to wall GnR so it's hilarious when generic 90s video game riffing music kicks in and takes you out of the game.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It is. Pretty fun game though the scoring is pretty heavily tilted towards picking superpops and spamming multiball. Like a lot of the data east stuff it is basically worth playing, but not super amazing.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Niwrad posted:

It could definitely be wax. I just think it's impossible to clean everything on a pinball machine. Everything from the troughs to the drop targets have some dirt on them. Even my new machine which had never been waxed got some ball trails after a few weeks (and this in a clean house).

As for the glare, I haven't been able to fully figure that out either. I did buy some of that anti-glare glass which helps. But it's way overpriced and I don't think the advantage is worth the cost. The nice thing is if you have more than one machine you can swap it in to whatever machine you are playing most. I bought some of these glare eliminators off Pinside which help a little with the DMD glare. Otherwise I've either unplugged the light connector in the backglass when playing or just took out a few of the bulbs so that it's not as bright. I think the lighting in the room you are playing in can play a role too so maybe tinker with that a bit. It seems like a problem with the older machines as I've never noticed it on any Stern tables I've played.

drat it, a pinball table is a closed system as long as it's on free play. Dirt is an impossibility when you're not putting nasty quarters into it. Newton proved this centuries ago.

It's really not that big a deal as far as the glare goes, but it just happens to seem worse on the Simpsons table than anything I've noticed before. This very well could be a case of me playing it more and being overly concerned.

Maybe I'll consider invisiglass someday. Having a sheet of it would be nice. Those LED backglass kits (I assume) would also do the trick but are a bit pricey for what amounts to a lightshow mod.

Same Great Paste posted:

E: there's also a completely busted local one, have been to alien invasion twice with. This one I think I've managed to start one mission a couple times maybe.

Still no alien invasion for me, though I have pulled off three of the six Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode (Their term for it, oddly enough.) requirements. Not in the same game, of course, but did manage Scratchy's Revenge and Daredevil Mania in the same game. The rules for this thing are nuts.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Holy crap. I interviewed Gary Stern at Southern Pinball Festival in 2011. We got to talking about what some fun themes would be for upcoming tables. The first one I suggested was a Dexter themed table. This was just pure fantasy wishful thinking. But then I said that a Wrestlemania themed machine would be huge. This was right after The Rock had come back and WWE was gaining momentum again. They could get the machine installed pretty much everywhere. I mentioned it'd have a huge audience of casual players; especially younger players. I can't say whether or not this was already in the plans back then or if I put a bug in his brain, but he did pause to ponder. The timing would be right too, It would take about that long to hammer out the licensing details, do the design, etc.

I wonder if I can finagle a free machine out of that interview? Whaddya think? Worth a shot? I'm pretty sure I still have it on my digital recorder.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but wouldn't increasing the brightness in the cab overpower the glare you'd get from the DMD/scores? I've only had issues with glare when the GI wasn't working right or if it's really dark by nature, usually something I notice with location games that haven't been maintained and lights are out. Or if the in-house lighting sucks. Some of the games at SS Billiards, for example - Spider-Man was incredibly difficult to see. I've never had this problem at Mortimers, but his games are lit brightly inside.

Spotlights may help?

As for dirt on the playfield, well, look under the apron, the ball trough, on wireforms, etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tony Phillips posted:

drat it, a pinball table is a closed system as long as it's on free play. Dirt is an impossibility when you're not putting nasty quarters into it. Newton proved this centuries ago.

We need a pinball company that assembles the boxes in a clean room and then vacuums out all the air from the innards of the machine before sealing it permanently.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

prefect posted:

We need a pinball company that assembles the boxes in a clean room and then vacuums out all the air from the innards of the machine before sealing it permanently.

I'm now incredibly interested in a rigorous physics simulation of pinball performance in an atmosphere vs. vacuum environment.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but wouldn't increasing the brightness in the cab overpower the glare you'd get from the DMD/scores? I've only had issues with glare when the GI wasn't working right or if it's really dark by nature, usually something I notice with location games that haven't been maintained and lights are out. Or if the in-house lighting sucks. Some of the games at SS Billiards, for example - Spider-Man was incredibly difficult to see. I've never had this problem at Mortimers, but his games are lit brightly inside.

Spotlights may help?

As for dirt on the playfield, well, look under the apron, the ball trough, on wireforms, etc.

It's not the DMD - that's taken care of with one of those bent plastic guards. The translite is what's causing the distraction.

Ran though the lights tests and don't have any out. There's four of those little spotlight lights in the table - compared how mine are positioned with pics on ipdb and everything looks the same. And unfortunately, while two of them are mounted right by the upper playfield where the glare is the biggest issue, you're not really able to aim them at the mini playfield due to a bracket of sorts for the monorail trail.

Maybe brighter bulbs could work or help though - really don't know.

Wrapping the tube with a couple sheets of paper did make a decent enough difference for now. I don't see myself selling/trading this thing for a long long time - maybe I will splurge on an LED kit for the backbox someday.

It's possibly a bit telling that the picture of the inside of the backbox on ipdb shows someone that is either using a colored tube, or has wrapped their tube in what looks to be colored mylar of some kind.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=47533

Edit - Hell yeah. Just cracked 3M on Firepower, good for #19 on the TPA boards.

Edit2 that nobody cares about but me - just got the Mystery Spot reversed flippers multiball. Pretty nuts. Stacked it with Doh! Mania and an I&S multiball and things were crazy.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 6, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I'm now incredibly interested in a rigorous physics simulation of pinball performance in an atmosphere vs. vacuum environment.

I wanna see a low gravity pinball box where you have 16 flippers and fling a ball around the inside of a crane-game-like area. Playable on the moon.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There's a guy on Pinside selling something that will automatically dim your translite when the game starts. It's actually a brilliant idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimming-backglass-for-stern-machines

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Niwrad posted:

There's a guy on Pinside selling something that will automatically dim your translite when the game starts. It's actually a brilliant idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimming-backglass-for-stern-machines

Wow. And not that terrible price wise. Looks like a pretty solid solution.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

T-Shaped posted:

cons:
- the callouts will not be macho man randy savage

YEEEUH
YEEEUH
OH YEEEEEEEEEEUH

(that bonus tally in WWF Royal Rumble gets me every time)

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Really pissd the local arcade traded out their MM before i could highscore it. Right now my only HS in town is on the TAF in a local bar, where i annoyed the poo poo out of my friend by spending 40 minutes on one game. But despite weak rear end flippers, TAF is one of my favorite machines. They also have avatar, which is quite possibly the shittiest pinball ever.

Local arcade has LOTR, Junkyard, PotC, JP, TMNT and Xmen. What should I high score then? TMNT and JP are the replacedments for MM, so they have low HS at the moment, but I'm pretty decent. Not like tourney winning good, but I've got lots of practice.

The local barcade has black knight 2000, so i kinda wanna go, but they're hella overpriced for everything. (like $5 for a Mikes, and the games run $1-$2. Who the hell pays $1 for street fighter 2? or one of those Neo Geo 5-in-1s?)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

prefect posted:

They would still get dirty, pinball machines are self-soiling devices. Most of the vents are located on the bottom and there aren't usually fans, so they shouldn't let much from the environment in. Remember you are throwing a case hardened steel ball bearing over and over and over into a variety of plastic, metal, and painted wood components. All of these things wear and break down, combine this with the smoke from the occasionally burned up coil or blown varistor and you have yourself a machine in need of a shop job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tonedef131 posted:

They would still get dirty, pinball machines are self-soiling devices. Most of the vents are located on the bottom and there aren't usually fans, so they shouldn't let much from the environment in. Remember you are throwing a case hardened steel ball bearing over and over and over into a variety of plastic, metal, and painted wood components. All of these things wear and break down, combine this with the smoke from the occasionally burned up coil or blown varistor and you have yourself a machine in need of a shop job.

So what you're saying is that we need to get NASA involved in the construction of pinball-machine components. Gotcha. :D