Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

(edit: also, if you nab Final Doom off Steam, and lord, you should, because Plutonia is the hard-rear end followup to Thy Flesh Consumed that Doom II deserved, make sure to pick up Plutonia 2, and PCMP. PL2's Map20 is one of my favorite custom maps ever- good music, too.)

What's PCMP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Carver posted:

What's PCMP?

I'm just guessing based on similarly named mods, but probably Plutonia Community Map Project/Pack.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

From the "Atari delights in making terrible decisions" files:

What the gently caress are they doing with it that makes it impossible to get a source code release, and impossibly expensive to sell off?

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Anyone have a problem with gzdoom when playing windowed that it locks the mouse buttons somehow to the game, as in that i can move it outside the window but i cant click on anything unless i do ctrl+alt+delete and then i can click on other windows again.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

From the "Atari delights in making terrible decisions" files:

After that amazing Shadow Warrior reboot, too... :negative:

I decided to look up the list of games Devolver Digital publish/distribute. On the list is an upcoming adventure game called "Dropsy." Is... That what I think it is?

Yup. It is. :stare:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I decided to look up the list of games Devolver Digital publish/distribute. On the list is an upcoming adventure game called "Dropsy." Is... That what I think it is?

Devolver are a huge breath of fresh air as an indie publisher. In addition to old school FPSes and Dropsy, they also published Hotline Miami and are publishing some stuff for Vlambeer.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

CyRaptor posted:

Hi. I haven't posted in this thread too much, but some of you may remember me from my Doom II/Master Levels and Doom 64 LPs that I did here back in 2007-2008 (at least I hope so, otherwise I'm gonna sound like a raving lunatic). I still get messages every once and while asking if I'm ever going to do another - and every once in a while I get the itch, but less free time and nonstop technical problems have kind of stymied my half-assed attempts to get it off the ground.

UNTIL NOW.

So yeah, I've wanted to do something to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Doom, and playing through the original seems like a fitting tribute since I never covered it back then. But rather than do a series of videos like last time I thought I'd do one, long, 6-hour marathon stream. Because I'm clearly insane. Since I'm a veritable encyclopedia of Doom knowledge I think I'll be able to keep it interesting and informative, and I'd also like to delve into the Alpha versions and talk about development history and stuff like that. And I'm sure by the end I'll be completely frustrated and delirious, so that's an incentive too. Plus there's a the chat feature to keep me (in)sane, and maybe I'll do Skype calls if there's interest. And don't forget there's a whole episode of Sandy Petersen maps to get through! Something for everyone, to be sure.

Man, this reeks of self-promotion. I swear it's not meant to. This is an interest check more than anything else. I haven't nailed down a specific time yet, but it'll definitely be before Christmas, probably next Saturday (the 21st). If there's enough interest I'll make another post when I lock down the details. Till then I will probably do a few short test streams to make sure everything works right - I won't clutter up this thread with that poo poo but I'll post to Twitter (@CyRaptor) before I do one of those.

I really loved your Doom 2 LP so I would definitely want to watch a stream for the Doom Anniversary.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are there any maps as architecturally complex as The Eye? Preferably not as difficult though, that took waaay too long to finish :downsgun:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

What the gently caress are they doing with it that makes it impossible to get a source code release, and impossibly expensive to sell off?
Desperately trying to escape bankruptcy with some form of dignity intact.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I've been playing through ZDCMP2 lately, and while it has some great set pieces in parts and some new weapons that are fun to play around with, I could have really done without the custom monsters they added. I already hate Revenants enough, guys, I don't need more enemies with homing projectiles.

Some of the secrets are fun, though:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ That's really cute, now I want somebody to remake black mesa in .wad form.

Mak0rz posted:

That project does disturb the hell out of me, but the guy is a goon and he's been posting about his work on the project since its inception.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^^ That's really cute, now I want somebody to remake black mesa in .wad form.

We're halfway there with Paranoid!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I was just thinking the other day about porting HL1 into ZDoom. Weird how things work like that sometimes.

Is Paranoid the final name? Because in my daydream I wanted to call it "Brack Mesaru". :shrug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any good Hexen custom maps that are true to the original game? I really enjoyed Hexen and its big hub-based levels and would love more of the same.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Carver posted:

What's PCMP?

Probably referring to Plutonia Revisited Community Project, which I can vouch for as being super cool, if a fair bit harder than the original Plutonia.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Thanks guys, looking forward to trying these out.

Edit: I am completely out of doom shape and PL2 is kicking my rear end and I'm loving every second.

Carver fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 15, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are there any interesting mods or wadpacks for Heretic out there? I don't see it discussed very often.

I have the hd texture pack (beautiful) and the music wad, that's about it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

Are there any interesting mods or wadpacks for Heretic out there? I don't see it discussed very often.

Not too many. You might want Heretic++, which is an effects and detail upgrade. As for campaigns, Masters Of Chaos and Hordes of Chaos are good ones. That'll give you another two full games worth of levels, if nothing else.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 15, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fag Boy Jim posted:

(edit: also, if you nab Final Doom off Steam, and lord, you should, because Plutonia is the hard-rear end followup to Thy Flesh Consumed that Doom II deserved, make sure to pick up Plutonia 2, and PCMP. PL2's Map20 is one of my favorite custom maps ever- good music, too.)
If you like the music in PL2 and PRCP, you might want to grab the PMP to play with basic Plutonia.

Also, someone on Doomworld made good quality MP3 & OGG renditions of these three soundtracks.

victrix posted:

Definitely Curse of D'Sparil. A very good Heretic episode. Most of those here are also good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Realm667 crew are also working (slowly) on a cutting-edge GZDoom Heretic level pack. Probably won't be out until at least next year though.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

The History of Fruit is a quality (if curiously named) Heretic episode.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Do people still play Wolfenstein ET? I installed it on a whim and connected to a server (which took several minutes to get on to due to a bunch of mod downloads) only to find out it was populated by bots.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zeether posted:

Do people still play Wolfenstein ET? I installed it on a whim and connected to a server (which took several minutes to get on to due to a bunch of mod downloads) only to find out it was populated by bots.

My friend was really into ET when it was big. While it was losing popularity he said a lot of players were moving to Battlefield. Not sure what they'd be playing now. I know a lot of them weren't interested in Quake Wars.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone seen a good starter tutorial on doing modding with pk3s? Say I just want to start simple and play around with how the weapons and enemies behave in Heretic for example. Right now I just have SLADE for editing the contents of pk3s, but I don't know where to get info on how to setup scripts and such.

I can follow by example someone else has modified the properties on a doom weapon, for example, but how would I get the info on entity/property names and such in the first place? I feel like I'm missing something like Dot Complete or something that would help me 'explore' what I can mess with.

Edit: Well I'm an idiot, had to set it to ZDoom Decorate, THEN the auto-complete started working correctly. I figured I must be missing something obvious.
Edit2: Nevermind, even when it's setup correctly it ... doesn't work? Never finds the entries correctly when I start typing, doesn't let you see the list of properties under that entry. Is there an editor better than Slade I should be using? This thing is really terrible.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The ZDoom wiki has info on all the actors and their properties.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

The ZDoom wiki has info on all the actors and their properties.

Took a lot of sniffing around to get all the pieces, but that got me on the right track. Thanks!

There's a surprisingly large number of things you need to do to get setup to change the properties on a weapon.

That makes total sense and I can't believe I didn't think to look there.
VVVVV

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 15, 2013

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
All of the vanilla actor/weapon/statusbar definitions are in zdoom.pk3 as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Here's a question for you. I was playing Doom 2 with the 10x Universal .wad and Russian Overkill (with Reinforcements from Moldova), does the 10x.wad affect Pain Elementals spawning Lost Souls? I got to The Pit, and was quickly drowned in Lost Souls. I had to quit when my frame rate started noticeably dropping into like, he single digits and the Lost Souls would not stop coming.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone seen a good starter tutorial on doing modding with pk3s? Say I just want to start simple and play around with how the weapons and enemies behave in Heretic for example. Right now I just have SLADE for editing the contents of pk3s, but I don't know where to get info on how to setup scripts and such.

I can follow by example someone else has modified the properties on a doom weapon, for example, but how would I get the info on entity/property names and such in the first place? I feel like I'm missing something like Dot Complete or something that would help me 'explore' what I can mess with.

Edit: Well I'm an idiot, had to set it to ZDoom Decorate, THEN the auto-complete started working correctly. I figured I must be missing something obvious.
Edit2: Nevermind, even when it's setup correctly it ... doesn't work? Never finds the entries correctly when I start typing, doesn't let you see the list of properties under that entry. Is there an editor better than Slade I should be using? This thing is really terrible.

You don't need SLADE to edit pk3s, they're just zip files.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Maybe I'm just crazy but over the last couple of weeks I've been going through Doom I and Doom II (with Brutal Doom 1.9, which is really awesome) and I prefer the latter's maps by a long shot, even though earlier in the thread a lot of people thought II wasn't as good as the original. I just didn't like the labyrinthine layouts and repetitive monsters, whereas Doom II had a lot more variety, the maps were still big but slightly more straight forward with a hell of a lot more open spaces and action. I found myself using all of the different weapons in Doom II, but the original was almost exclusively about the shotgun, as bullets, rockets and cells were so rare to find.

Onto the Plutonia and Evilution maps now!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the later Doom episodes and levels (although Thy Flesh Consumed is fantastic). I will always love the first episode though since it takes me back to when I first got the shareware version and spent hours on each level trying to find all the secrets. Otherwise give me a super shotgun and load of mancubuses to take out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That's funny, I'm having almost exactly the opposite experience - I've been playing D2TWID and I'm getting annoyed at all the stupid chaingunners/traps with nasty D2 monsters.

I like the extra creatures, but there's something about the way they're used so often in wads that I just find really unfun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Maybe I'm just crazy but over the last couple of weeks I've been going through Doom I and Doom II (with Brutal Doom 1.9, which is really awesome) and I prefer the latter's maps by a long shot, even though earlier in the thread a lot of people thought II wasn't as good as the original. I just didn't like the labyrinthine layouts and repetitive monsters, whereas Doom II had a lot more variety, the maps were still big but slightly more straight forward with a hell of a lot more open spaces and action. I found myself using all of the different weapons in Doom II, but the original was almost exclusively about the shotgun, as bullets, rockets and cells were so rare to find.

Onto the Plutonia and Evilution maps now!

I could never get that into D2 and... to this day I haven't played all the way through it. :smith: I've beaten Doom a lot (and Doom 3, gosh :ohdear:) but not Doom II.

I should really play more D2. I mean, SSG is awesome, don't get me wrong. I just... I dunno. I never had D2 as a kid, just the shareware knee deep, and then later I played ultimate doom but I never had D2 until way later and just didn't get that into it.

Okay tonight I'm gonna play some more Doom II for a change. I remember like, the first 5 levels?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay tonight I'm gonna play some more Doom II for a change. I remember like, the first 5 levels?

Honestly, I'd recommend anyone considering playing Doom 2 to just skip to Hellbound. It's vanilla (albeit limit-removing) friendly, and it does the whole 'hell on earth' thing so much better than Doom 2, while still using only resources from the original game, and manages to even work in some really clever setpieces.

It feels like the game that Doom 2 wanted to be, and seems almost certain to come away with a Cacoward this year.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Dominic White posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend anyone considering playing Doom 2 to just skip to Hellbound. It's vanilla (albeit limit-removing) friendly, and it does the whole 'hell on earth' thing so much better than Doom 2, while still using only resources from the original game, and manages to even work in some really clever setpieces.

It feels like the game that Doom 2 wanted to be, and seems almost certain to come away with a Cacoward this year.

This is exactly what I was looking for, but I was thrown by the first level going from "first level difficulty" to "hell knight pops up behind you in extreme close quarters"

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

LvK posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, but I was thrown by the first level going from "first level difficulty" to "hell knight pops up behind you in extreme close quarters"

UV difficulty is pretty rough - for casual play, HMP might be better. Still, Hell Knights aren't much more than bigger, surlier imps. Same strategies apply. You get the super-shotgun not far into the second map anyway.

For that 'vanilla, but better' feel, combine with Doom Expanded for additional graphical niceness. Having some blood splat effects and an extra 2-3 death animations per enemy goes a long way.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 16, 2013

graboid
Dec 16, 2013

LvK posted:

And be sure to play ALL of them with Brutal Doom or Russian Overkill! :haw:

Can I just say that I don't think RO has received quite enough love in this thread? I actually prefer Ketchup + Russian Overkill to BD when I want silly, over-the-top fun, and it's perfect for when you're exhausted from gritting your teeth through slaughter WADs.

Disclaimer: nothing compares to the eternal timeless perfection of vanilla Doom gameplay. Fear not, grognards.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Goodbye City posted:

Can I just say that I don't think RO has received quite enough love in this thread? I actually prefer Ketchup + Russian Overkill to BD when I want silly, over-the-top fun, and it's perfect for when you're exhausted from gritting your teeth through slaughter WADs.

Disclaimer: nothing compares to the eternal timeless perfection of vanilla Doom gameplay. Fear not, grognards.

Yeah, but does ketchup work with 10x.wad? :colbert:

Russian Overkill is hella rad, but sadly a lot of map packs I've played are too tight (or, heaven forbid, light) for the weapon gimmicks to feel at home, and 10x.wad makes a lot of the gimmick weapons not work right :(

Goingdown is loving perfect for it, though.

LvK fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2013

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm slowly playing through Alien Vendetta for my first time and it must be said how nice the levels are. They look nice, have a consistent theme in each level, and are just hard enough to ironman through with a couple of deaths. I don't know why it took me so long to pick it up, but wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm slowly playing through Alien Vendetta for my first time and it must be said how nice the levels are. They look nice, have a consistent theme in each level, and are just hard enough to ironman through with a couple of deaths. I don't know why it took me so long to pick it up, but wow.

Wait until you get to Map 20. :unsmigghh: