Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

With Miracast and Chromecast and Android TV I'd say we're not going to see that on Nexus devices again.
It might work with a SlimPort adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
If anyone wants to beat the rush amazon seems to have opened up preorders early.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
With miracast coming to Roku that may take care of it anyway. My main issue is getting things from apps that are only on Android from my tablet to my dumb TV, which has a Roku and a PS3 connected. For now I've just been connecting a Transformer Prime to the TV using a micro to HDMI cable. Decidedly last gen :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Horn posted:

If anyone wants to beat the rush amazon seems to have opened up preorders early.

Do you have a link? Can't see the Nexus 9 when I search for it.

edit: Oh duh, it's a special link in the search results. Link is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6UC5B4

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Do you have a link? Can't see the Nexus 9 when I search for it.

edit: Oh duh, it's a special link in the search results. Link is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6UC5B4
Amazon US:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6UC5B4

A few other countries are here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/16/nexus-9-in-black-and-white-16-and-32gb-up-for-pre-order-on-amazon-us-only/

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Thanks everyone. I had totally decided to skip the 9 and just pick up a 7 from last year. But I'm vulnerable here at a bar while my wife talks to coworkers and now I accidentally ordered a 9 from amazon.

It's all your fault, goons!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Argh, I have 10% off from Best Buy and then a $5 gift card, and 4% cashback from Best Buy with my Chase Card...

Must wait but do want.

This but with the N9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffbVw1BrUDk

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Argh, I have 10% off from Best Buy and then a $5 gift card, and 4% cashback from Best Buy with my Chase Card...

Must wait but do want.

This but with the N9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffbVw1BrUDk

You'll probably get it a day sooner from Best Buy. Even with 1 day shipping Amazon estimates it will be delivered Nov. 4th for me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

You'll probably get it a day sooner from Best Buy. Even with 1 day shipping Amazon estimates it will be delivered Nov. 4th for me.

Yeah, but when does the Best Buy page go up? I'm F5ing starting now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

(Crosspost from Phone Thread)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...er-in-november/

Nexus 7 (2012, WiFi), Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi), Nexus 10 will receive the OTA for Android 5.0 starting November 3, 2014 while the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 (2013, LTE) (and presumably Nexus 7 (2012, HSPA) will get it "later that month" according to AP.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yes! Thanks goons. Ordered on amazon!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Lenovo IdeaTab S8 (1080p, Atom Z3745) just a thing that won't exist in the US? A friend of mine asked to get it for him here but there's no signs of it anywhere at all.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

It says right on the N9 page that it's extra.

Shame that might have swung me. Maybe there's hope for a bundle then.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I had a Nexus 2013 16GB wifi model, was nice for about 9 months until I dropped it and broke the screen, it is currently in repair at a local store. However the display could be better and its a little slow, for instance trying to use Google sheets is pretty terrible. To be honest while still a potential device there's more on offer this year, if you can pay more.

So I bought a Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 32GB wifi and that is a really nice device. It is very light, very slim, waterproof and a pleasure really to use. The Sony spin of android is actually very good especially compared to touchwiz. I bought the magnetic dock charger which works quite nicely. The downside I hadn't even really bothered to pay attention to is of course the large bezel the device has :downs:. The only reason I no longer have the Z2 Tablet is because my device had a faulty display panel which developed yellow discolouration around the edges after less than 2 months (I saw only one such user experience the same on xda). My device also experienced the creak posted about on the xda forum. They didn't have another to replace it.

I replaced it with a Samsung Tab S 8.4 32GB. I found the device fairly nice, especially of course the high resolution display. Unfortunately Touchwiz isn't any less garish than last I used it and containing an Exynos processor you don't have much in the way of ROM support. This ended up being the deal breaker on this one. The converse of the Z2 tablet is the issue here, without a bezel and being a phablet designed for portrait view I found I inadvertently touch the display fairly often. I ended up taking it back and they gave me credit.

Z2 was my favourite of these by far although it is/was expensive I still felt like it was money well spent after using it.
So now I have a Nexus 9 32GB on preorder and I think I'll finally be happy.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

(Crosspost from Phone Thread)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...er-in-november/

Nexus 7 (2012, WiFi), Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi), Nexus 10 will receive the OTA for Android 5.0 starting November 3, 2014 while the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 (2013, LTE) (and presumably Nexus 7 (2012, HSPA) will get it "later that month" according to AP.

Whatever, just post the factory images already Google. Don't need no steenkin' OTA.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

Whatever, just post the factory images already Google. Don't need no steenkin' OTA.
Some people are speculating that that's what's being released today as part of the SDK release :f5:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I've waited so long to replace my TF201 that I'm not really feeling the immediate urge to get this tablet. I will, eventually, but I can wait while everyone else gets one and posts their thoughts on the purchase.

Plus, I'd like there to be lots of options for cases, screen protection, etc, than there are right now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Magog posted:

Z2 was my favourite of these by far although it is/was expensive I still felt like it was money well spent after using it.
Sup Z2 tablet buddy. There are quite a few display/touch issues with that device which is a bummer because it has all the specs I want otherwise. I currently have the touch responsiveness issue but a reboot fixes it; it's annoying but not a deal breaker. I still have the Sony support number bookmarked if it gets any worse. Hoping I don't get discoloration/creaking like the XDA folks have reported.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/google-nexus-tablet-129002

Nexus 9 up on Best Buy

First one to Paypal me $10 (ericcorp AT gmail DOT com me gets a 10% coupon that works on it!)

I'm 100% serious. I have two 10% coupons. I used one for me, the other is for you!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Interesting that neither Amazon nor Best Buy have the sand color devices. Maybe those come later?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Interesting that neither Amazon nor Best Buy have the sand color devices. Maybe those come later?
Yeah, it was mentioned in some reports that the sand/gold/whatever is coming "later this year".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this the 1970s of tablets where we get ugly colors? Who wants a beige tablet or phone? What happened to blue or green?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Is this the 1970s of tablets where we get ugly colors? Who wants a beige tablet or phone? What happened to blue or green?
I'm guessing the gold iPhone is responsible for us getting thing. I agree though.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

If they put out an avocado green model like a 60's kitchen appliance, I would buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Argyle posted:

If they put out an avocado green model like a 60's kitchen appliance, I would buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

I would buy one to match my oven. It's what every kitchen needs!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_9_black_16gb_wifi

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I'm ready to purchase an N9, but the keyboard case is not available under accessories..

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_9_Cover_Black?id=nexus_9_cover_black

This cover is interesting. No hinge, it just magnetically attaches to the front and back.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_9_Cover_Black?id=nexus_9_cover_black

This cover is interesting. No hinge, it just magnetically attaches to the front and back.

Huh, that is weird. I wonder if it'll be annoying in practice.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ja_raul posted:

I'm ready to purchase an N9, but the keyboard case is not available under accessories..

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_9_Keyboard_Folio?id=nexus_9_keyboard_folio_black

129 loving €

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Does "Mechanical keys with 1.4mm travel" mean mechanical switches or does that just mean scissor or rubber dome switches as opposed to the original Surface keyboards that were touch only?

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

Not available in my country.. (Canada). Wow that is pricey for a keyboard!

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Is there any essential difference in the hardware, other than screen size, between the Nexus 9 versus the Nvidia Shield? It almost seems like you are losing some functionality by getting the Nexus 9 versus the Shield, and paying more for the opportunity.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

Is there any essential difference in the hardware, other than screen size, between the Nexus 9 versus the Nvidia Shield? It almost seems like you are losing some functionality by getting the Nexus 9 versus the Shield, and paying more for the opportunity.

The nexus 9 has the 64bit version of K1 CPU which is supposedly 50% faster in comparison to the 32bit K1. The only benchmarks so far are those released by NVIDIA, so take that with a grain of salt. It does have the same kepler GPU between the two which means games should perform about the same.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Not to underestimate having a Nexus device with Lollipop and a 64 bit chip and perhaps wanting to justify what I already own a bit, anyone a little surprised at the specs compared to the competition, i.e. The 8.4 Tab S?

Less ram, lower resolution screen, no AMOLED, lower spec front facing camera, less battery life, no SD, higher price. Besides development and better games it seems like the Tab S is a better buy for most users even though it is what, 4 months old at this point?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 17, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

lostleaf posted:

The only benchmarks so far are those released by NVIDIA, so take that with a grain of salt.
There's these, but none of them are graphical benchmarks.
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1014854
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1026591

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Yeah, the pricing in comparison to the specs of the Nexus 9 seem somewhat off. I suppose that they are targeting the price point of iPads, but competition within the Android market itself seems to be pretty stiff. The lack of 3 gigs of memory is not very good, and then not having the expandable micro sd slot hurts it pretty hard in my eyes. I would really like to replace my 2012 Nexus 7 for something that I could do more productivity based work on, but I am going to take a wait and see approach. Maybe Nvidia will refresh the shield tablet with a 64 bit processor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

Huh, that is weird. I wonder if it'll be annoying in practice.

Well it means the device has a way for magnets to attach so maybe someone can make a cover that attaches to front and back like the keyboard but with out the keys. That'd be cool.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Three Olives posted:

Not to underestimate having a Nexus device with Lollipop and a 64 bit chip and perhaps wanting to justify what I already own a bit, anyone a little surprised at the specs compared to the competition, i.e. The 8.4 Tab S?

Less ram, lower resolution screen, no AMOLED, lower spec front facing camera, let battery life, no SD, higher price. Besides development and better games it seems like the Tab S is a better buy for most users even though it is what, 4 months old at this point?

I would seriously pay up to a $100 premium to get a vanilla Android device over a Samsung 'enhanced' version that makes the experience worse. Also good to know you'll have great upgrade support to later Android versions over the years, especially given the history of Nexus devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

Yeah, the pricing in comparison to the specs of the Nexus 9 seem somewhat off. I suppose that they are targeting the price point of iPads, but competition within the Android market itself seems to be pretty stiff. The lack of 3 gigs of memory is not very good, and then not having the expandable micro sd slot hurts it pretty hard in my eyes. I would really like to replace my 2012 Nexus 7 for something that I could do more productivity based work on, but I am going to take a wait and see approach. Maybe Nvidia will refresh the shield tablet with a 64 bit processor.

This is also the exact situation I'm waiting on too. Was about to spend 500 on the 32gb but decided that waiting for the shield tablet 2 with the 64bit K1 would be the better choice.

Easier way to visualize the CPU comparison between shield tablet, nexus 9 and iphone 6.

http://www.gsmarena.com/tegra_k1_denver_and_nexus_9_benchmarked-news-9953.php

Single core performance is double but because the K1 32bit has 4 cores, the multicore performance for 64bit is slower than the 32bit. :confused:

This could have been acceptable because single core performance is usually more important for most everyday tasks and how smooth the interface performs. But what's especially infuriating is that google could have easily specified directstylus support but they didn't. The drat chipset already comes with support for it.