Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Vampirate posted:

Notch offered his alpha minecraft up for ten dollars. This game tries 30... I think they are missing the point in how this all works.

And yet people are still buying it. The company has a history of good products so it's not surprising to see that they started off with a higher price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

dvorak posted:

They attempted to make one of the most ambitious games ever without consideration to how practical that is. They imploded, downsized, and then made this game.

Coincidentally, there is also Monaco, which is a top-down indie bank robbing game that is (maybe?) going to actually come out (someday). And it actually is looking to be pretty drat cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Coincidentally, there is also Monaco, which is a top-down indie bank robbing game that is (maybe?) going to actually come out (someday). And it actually is looking to be pretty drat cool.

Monaco is cool and a nice breath of fresh air, overused as that idea is, but it's nothing near the level of insanity they were attempting with Subversion.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Orv posted:

Monaco is cool and a nice breath of fresh air, overused as that idea is, but it's nothing near the level of insanity they were attempting with Subversion.

Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case but I haven't been following it that closely.

Either way, stoked as hell that this game is finally out in some kind of playable form, alpha though it may be. I'll probably just wait until release, too, or at least beta. I've gotten burned out for now on playing half-finished indie betas; especially since it sometimes puts a damper on my excitement for the finished product to play something really buggy.

Maybe when it's really stable but just missing a lot of content, I'll take another look.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Vampirate posted:

Notch offered his alpha minecraft up for ten dollars. This game tries 30... I think they are missing the point in how this all works.

Mojang was not at all a known quantity at the time. Introversion has put out well liked games and already has a fanbase. They don't appear to be funding this game solely on pre-orders/alpha purchases, either. Think of it as buying into a pre-funded kickstarter or something.

Though I do hope that, once they get a few more versions in, they release an older version as a demo. It's a lot to ask to go into this blind with just video.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 27, 2012

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
Jayant watches TV during riots

Usually

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Sankis posted:

Mojang was not at all a known quantity at the time. Introversion has put out well liked games and already has a fanbase. They don't appear to be funding this game solely on pre-orders/alpha purchases, either. Think of it as buying into a pre-funded kickstarter or something.

Hey, Notch worked on Wurm Online! ..oh :saddowns:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Oh man this game is great. Too bad there's no way to take care of fires and your prison will inevitably burn down along with everyone in it :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
From what I hear, this game sounds just like Dwarf fortress except with less beards and no lava.

loving SOLD!

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
It really is. My open prison experiment just ended in disaster when someone smuggled a screwdriver into the yard and dismantled the weightbench, which drove everyone else berserk. Some guy ran out the prison gates and off the map and now the 4 scufflers are bleeding all over the cells because I can't get a medic shipped in for another 18 hours.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My prison is a bloodbath. It turns out putting everyone in a single holding cell with one toilet results in savage beatings.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
The game is pretty fun, but man are there a lot of bugs. Even so, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Brackhar posted:

The game is pretty fun, but man are there a lot of bugs. Even so, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Alpha is the phase where features are consistently being added, tweaked, etc. When the game is feature locked and in Beta is usually when bug squashing happens. I wouldn't worry too much about bugs at this point, really. There's time yet.

Edit: It occurs to me that after Prison Architect is done it's not a big leap to set it in, say, a space station. Singleplayer sim space station 13 would be rad.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 27, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some of the bugs have real character though, instead of just being aggravating, so that's nice.

A guard managed to shiv himself for instance. At least I assume that's what happened, because he was fine one minute and dead the next.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

The Vampirate posted:

I've heard the idea that Introversion has always had small numbers of testers and this is a way to maintain that somewhat while getting a bit more publicity and basically pre-order money. People who spend $30 on an alpha might be more likely to provide constructive criticism and bug reports than somebody with $10 who might proceed to "Tell all their friends this game sux lol".
That makes sense to me anyway...

Loomer posted:

My prison is a bloodbath. It turns out putting everyone in a single holding cell with one toilet results in savage beatings.

Quantum contraband. :stonk:
Do metal detectors even work? I have them at the cell block access hallway and holding cell, but every lunch time turns into an almighty shank-off.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Cerebulon posted:

I've heard the idea that Introversion has always had small numbers of testers and this is a way to maintain that somewhat while getting a bit more publicity and basically pre-order money. People who spend $30 on an alpha might be more likely to provide constructive criticism and bug reports than somebody with $10 who might proceed to "Tell all their friends this game sux lol".
That makes sense to me anyway...

Quantum contraband. :stonk:
Do metal detectors even work? I have them at the cell block access hallway and holding cell, but every lunch time turns into an almighty shank-off.

I THINK you need two flipped in such a way that people can pass through it.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Middle button flips objects? Welp, and here I was, destroying a canteen 3 times and rebuilding it not-quit large enough to fit the table. :downs:

EDIT: I hope they release alpha builds often, as in every day or so. I'd love to see the game really change as they work on it and not get a new build every month.

Senso fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 27, 2012

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So far as I'm concerned, this game only has two bugs: you can't modify or extend the foundation of a building, and the Utility screen will eventually crash your game.

Best tip I've found so far is to include the door in the 2x3 of a cell, leaving the inmate with a 4x4 space with a bed and a toilet.

Also, don't overbuild. Nothing really needs to be over-large and not conserving space just means you're throwing up another god drat building.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So far as I'm concerned, this game only has two bugs: you can't modify or extend the foundation of a building, and the Utility screen will eventually crash your game.

Demolish an outer wall of an established building and build against the now open portion. Place a door (it'll say it requires an entrance) on the new far wall, demolish the door and replace it with brick wall.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I put in a metal detector, and perhaps because of that the guards busted into the morning shower and started searching all these naked guys... and they found a total of 4 knives from my 8 prisoners :psyduck:

Oh, and this was the very first day too. I guess I'd would help if you searched guys when they enter, huh.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Knives are basically part of the lunch time package at this point. It's nigh-impossible to intercept all the people with knives (much less know who they all are) by the time you reach 32 people.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Cerebulon posted:

every lunch time turns into an almighty shank-off.

Almighty Shank-Off, best prison band name.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Knives are basically part of the lunch time package at this point. It's nigh-impossible to intercept all the people with knives (much less know who they all are) by the time you reach 32 people.

Funnel the prisoners through metal detectors and have a bunch of guards around. Once I spent $2,000 on metal detectors I hardly had any shankings!

I love the little radio sound the guards make when they're running after someone

Has anyone been able to figure out the patrolling interface?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Got a bunch of trucks delivering goods and are blocking prisoners? Dismantle them! :pseudo:

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!

Hezzy posted:

Funnel the prisoners through metal detectors and have a bunch of guards around. Once I spent $2,000 on metal detectors I hardly had any shankings!

I love the little radio sound the guards make when they're running after someone

Has anyone been able to figure out the patrolling interface?

Can you take a screenshot of your setup?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

kirrus posted:

Can you take a screenshot of your setup?

I usually have large doors leading to the outside so I put two metal detectors in front. They seem to trigger a search on a prisoner when they're carrying contraband so having guards nearby is useful. Prisoners might also drop their poo poo before they go through it. I'm also not sure if they can be walked around, so having them in a corridor might be more useful than just freestanding.

So like, if X was a wall, D a door, C a space and T a the detector this would be the best setup;

XXXDDXXX
CCXTTXCC

Rather than what I had which is this;

XXXDDXXX
CCCTTCCC

Because I think they can walk diagonally across and bypass it. Not too sure though.

I love planning my prison out. I have graph paper everywhere! Does anyone know a good app on the iPad that does similar stuff?

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 27, 2012

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

I am the biggest idiot. Need to drag room thing across room to make it register.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
This does look pretty awesome, but the $30 price also puts me off. In terms of people who've actually bought and played this, do you think it's worth the money at the moment?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I wonder if there will be a point in time when everyone in the world will stop using Paypal or at least aren't only using Paypal to accept payments.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Owlkill posted:

This does look pretty awesome, but the $30 price also puts me off. In terms of people who've actually bought and played this, do you think it's worth the money at the moment?

Well considering I would spend $60 on beer on a single night out I'd consider $30 for hours of enjoyment a good investment. It's half the price Borderlands 2 was for me and I've already spent more time playing it and it's been a lot more enjoyable. Considering it's an Alpha, it can only get better.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Owlkill posted:

What's there is good but it's definitely not $30 worth of game. That being said, Subversion have a fairly good track record and I can easily see this expanding into a fullblown Tycoon-esque game. The alpha is pretty stable and mostly bugfree if that's a consideration.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Where did you get enough money to build all that? I'm constantly underfunded.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
One thing that seems to keep the prisoners happy is to make a new schedule where everything is free time, with two or three meals spread throughout the day. Forcing everyone into showers at the same time, or locking them into cells for the night when they aren't tired enough to sleep just leads to disastrous tantrums all the time. Also, if you are trying to be efficient with your money, I don't think there's any need to have interior walls at all. Even solitary cells can be just squares drawn into the floor.

So yeah I think they still have some balancing to do before the game mechanics make any actual sense.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Owlkill posted:

Having spent the 30 bucks, I'd say that it was worth it for me, personally. I really like these types of games, I like Introversion's back catalog, and I like supporting indie games with real potential.

The situation might be different for you, but I'd still say that apart from all that there's still a pretty fun sandbox to play around in right now.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Frijolero posted:

Where did you get enough money to build all that? I'm constantly underfunded.

I cheated a little bit. If you open your save file you can change your bank balance. Open it in a text editor like Notepad+ and do ctrl+f for balance and change the number there to have a few more zeroes!

I don't like the current style of funding, makes the game very slow and I struggle to keep up with the demand of prisoners. You don't start to make a proper profit until you have more than 20 prisoners and relying on grants isn't enough.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Hezzy posted:

I cheated a little bit. If you open your save file you can change your bank balance. Open it in a text editor like Notepad+ and do ctrl+f for balance and change the number there to have a few more zeroes!

I don't like the current style of funding, makes the game very slow and I struggle to keep up with the demand of prisoners. You don't start to make a proper profit until you have more than 20 prisoners and relying on grants isn't enough.

Yeah, I did this and tried to fix a few other issues I was having with stuck prisoners as well. Be careful when you save it, though, it seemed to change a bunch of my room designations randomly. I have no idea why it would do this, maybe it's just the game loading it incorrectly.

As far as it being worth $30, it isn't yet if you are looking for a full blown game. It does have a whole lot of potential and the Introversion seem open to suggestions and everything on their forum. I'm excited to see where it is in a few months!

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Can you build a prison that consists of nothing but one square cells and set a policy 0f 24/7 lockdown? I want my guards armed with lethal rounds in their weapons and the order to shoot for any reason. I want to create an insane rightwing dream prison that would make Joe Aripo green with envy. A prison where prisoners are not fed, and where they are used as target practice for the guards. I should be able to have an insane warden that uses prisoners as science projects too. When this game includes all those features I will gladly pay $30. On the other side of the coin I should be able to create a luxury white collar prison as well.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DropsySufferer posted:

Can you build a prison that consists of nothing but one square cells and set a policy 0f 24/7 lockdown? I want my guards armed with lethal rounds in their weapons and the order to shoot for any reason. I want to create an insane rightwing dream prison that would make Joe Aripo green with envy. A prison where prisoners are not fed, and where they are used as target practice for the guards. I should be able to have an insane warden that uses prisoners as science projects too.

Hey hitler, how are you doing?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Baloogan posted:

Hey hitler, how are you doing?

Hello mass murderer, yourself, if you've ever played a single video game. These kinds of wacky experiments are what video games are all about.

I mean poo poo, The Sims can be way more hosed up than this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

DropsySufferer posted:

Can you build a prison that consists of nothing but one square cells and set a policy 0f 24/7 lockdown? I want my guards armed with lethal rounds in their weapons and the order to shoot for any reason. I want to create an insane rightwing dream prison that would make Joe Aripo green with envy. A prison where prisoners are not fed, and where they are used as target practice for the guards. I should be able to have an insane warden that uses prisoners as science projects too. When this game includes all those features I will gladly pay $30. On the other side of the coin I should be able to create a luxury white collar prison as well.

Afraid not, cells have to be 2x3 square and contain a bed as well as a toilet. You can make solitary confinement cells that can be 1x1 square (I think!) but the prisoner has to do something wrong like try to escape or shank somebody to be put in there.

However you can set 24/7 lockdown very easily. I wonder what would happen?

• Locked thread