Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She stands on top of her crate and starts slinging bullets at rats, wondering if this really was the best plan we could figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She yells above the chittering and splattering and scrabbling.

I could put a large number of these beasts to sleep, but it would be a waste if we later encountered gigantic, ferocious pseudorats!

She is not used to uncertainty.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Bolo cuts a swathe through the rats.
We need to move together and find out where they got in. someone should stay and protect the silo though.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Seeing no one wants to help with his plan, Ciarán decides to wing it slightly and hope he doesn't get murdered by ravenous rats.

I'm going to try to befriend one of them so that we can actually find out where they are coming from. I'd appreciate it if you guys could possibly prevent me from being entirely swarmed though.

Ciarán tries to draw in as few rats as possible with the grain and begins preparations to cast Animal Friendship.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ciarán - Realises that he can't see where the rats got in from where he is and nobody is actively 'distracting' the rats with the large sack of grain. Rats are starting to scramble upon him and are clawing and gnawing as they go. :rolldice: While annoying, they do no harm, this round. The preparations for Animal Friendship are a welcome distraction.

Aello - Takes careful aim and hits some of the leading rats cutting down three with one bolt. 'Drawing' her two handed sword she commences a steady scything motion against the incoming wall of rats and takes out at least twenty more. The exertion of using the two handed sword in this manner is going to becoming tiring.

Martha - Attempts to vandalise the fine lamp fixture but her early exertions prove fruitless and it maintains it's death grip on the column around seven feet off the floor. Cursing the speciest and probably patriarchal architect she loses a bolt at the rats somehow downing four. The battle axe seems well suited to the task and she is fast mowing down rats with around twenty falling this round.

Amaranth / Lyme - Goes 100% nuts with the sling and even in this target rich environment misses her first two shots. Rats are even now scrabbling over her protective crate.

Bolo - Cuts a swathe through the rats. Around fifteen aren't going to be trying that again.

Initially the tide of rats is enormous and killing a mere fifty or so a round isn't going to allow forward progress. More rats are coming.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bolo has a dangerous idea.
Guys, I could try and start a fire with the lamp oil to keep the rats off us. However, it might not be very safe. Thoughts?
He continues cutting through the rats.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

At the realisation that these vermin are in fact going to swarm and bite her, rather than ignore her on their way to the grain, she gives a strangled cry of anguish and frustration. With a boiling sea of rodents rising up her crate island, she reaches into her bag and unleashes Tisiphone, her chicken, born hunter of small vermin.

Defend me please, Tisiphone!

She also calls for her hawk familiar Typhon, waiting outside. Hopefully somebody left a window open.

As foul rats climb up the refuge, she kicks and stomps them with savage fury, driven more by pent-up issues than any real strength or ability.

*Inarticulate screams of combat rage*

OOC: Lyme is 130cm tall and weighs 32kg, so any sort of combat is going to be endlessly amusing to me :v:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Addendum to previous rounds resolution.

IF Martha decides Jack is there he valiantly attempts to defend her. He kills one rat and knocks another few away in his frenzy during the initial round.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Splode posted:

Bolo has a dangerous idea.
Guys, I could try and start a fire with the lamp oil to keep the rats off us. However, it might not be very safe. Thoughts?
He continues cutting through the rats.

Martha

Martha stops her song to yell

That's what I was trying to do numbnut! Feel free to try!

(OOC: I didn't know whether mr grain would enjoy seeing a dog here)

Martha sees Jack getting amongst it

Jack! heel! She belows

Martha puts herself between Jack and the oncoming rats and continues slaying as many as she can

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Realising that his efforts may take longer than initially expected, he aborts his attempt at converting one of the rats to the ways of and instead makes preparations to defend himself, first working towards getting the rats off his person, and then pulling out his club.

(I'm used to DH turn terminology :v:)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello continues to concentrate her efforts on applying sword to rat

Master Bolo, this is a stone building! By all means use some oil and fire!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

Aello continues to concentrate her efforts on applying sword to rat

Master Bolo, this is a stone building! By all means use some oil and fire!

I'm worried about the smoke. Keep it in mind!

Bolo pours lamp oil in an arc in front of him, and attempts to light it with the lantern.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Amaranth / Lyme - The diminutive elf strikes out with her stylish yet affordable pumps. The screaming may be slightly confusing the nearby rats but who knows? The dizzy dancing frenzy KOs at least seven rats but causes several to scurry over her by way of escape. :rolldice: In their panic they only scratch feebly and don't land any significant bites. The crate supporting this impromtu theatre of cruelty dance spectacular groans and creaks alarmingly. Maybe it's part of the act?

Tisiphone is a typhoon of death and brutally pecks one rat to death. Flapping vigorously she is able to keep the rats off her person, for now.

Typhon however is unable to raise the massive stone manhole covers with its puny hawk strength and remains away from the fray.

Martha - Continues to hack rat. Around twenty more are brilliantly Julienned.

Jack backs off growling but is viciously nipped by a rat as he retreats. He loses 1 HP and has 1 left. He yelps in defiance.

Ciarán - Focusing now on 'de-ratting' the druid succeeds in getting all the rats currently aboard back onto the floor. None are seriously injured in the process but one particularly malevolent looking rat snaps its jaws in a horrifically potent bite that would have been very nasty except it was already airborne. Now unencumbered by rodentry the brandishing of a club is an easy matter.

Aello - Focuses on the task at hand and, clearly tiring, only manages to kill a few over ten.

Bolo - Prior to the almost universal adoption of his plan Bolo manages to kill about another twenty. Unfortunately on his last stroke a large rat has become impaled on his rapier. It will have to be removed before attempting to use it again. Bolo doesn't care as he drops the rapier and spreads a flask of oil around in front of the party. Hurling the Splendiferous Magnificent Bogusiforian MK IV Bat Blinder at the puddle of oil you all rejoice as it bursts into merry flames.

Once you were all engaged in combating the rats there appeared to be a slight slackening in their surge. The flaming oil turns the tide, and the rats are now clearly fleeing. You pursue them and kill a few more En Passant. They gained entry, and departed by pushing a single block of stone into the cellar. How rats accomplish such a task is beyond anyone here's understanding.

The hole isn't big enough for anyone here, pets excepted.

[The party has gained 672 exp. 135 each or 150 if you have the 10% bonus for exceptional stats. Your pets, alas, gain no exp as they are also 0 level creatures.]

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha tends to Jacks wounds

Whose a good boy? Yes you are!

How big was the single block that was pushed out? Big enough to crawl through?

While inspecting the new hole, Martha notices that the stone work is of shoddy quality. While the facade was shown to be neat, the blocks of stone don't sit neatly together like one would find with quality Dwarvern stonework.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Bolo might just be able to squeeze through. It opens up immediately after into some sort of an excavation that smells strongly of rat.

Jack whimpers in a total 'I'm loving the attention way' but the bite looks nasty. Perhaps a vet cleric should look at it?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Ciarán could you please see if you can do anything for Jack while I make this hole bigger for you larger folk

Martha starts enlarging the hole by removing more of the stones

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Soon the hole is big enough for even Ciarán. It is evident that this excavation heads steeply down. The tunnel behind the wall is between three and five feet wide and as much as six feet high and has been burrowed out of loose loam.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Hardly enough room to swing a rat in there

She looks at her massive sword, sighs, and sheaths it. If necessary she recovers her crossbow.

I'm ready to head in if you are.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Happily dusts most of the dirt off her hands. It felt good getting her hands dirty.

She scoops the injured Jack up and puts him into the top of her back pack so his head is sticking out the top. He is not overjoyed at this.

I am happy to lead the way as there seems just enough room for me to swing me' axe

Martha also collects her dropped heavy crossbow and reloads it while waiting for the others to gather themselves

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Are there any living rats which have not escaped at this point?

Freudian Slip posted:

Ciarán could you please see if you can do anything for Jack while I make this hole bigger for you larger folk

Ciarán washes the wound with some water from his waterskin and attempts to determine whether any infection could result.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

When she emerges from her righteous elven fury, she is surprised to see the rats have fled, and her party members already picking away at the hole in the wall, which no doubt leads to a tunnel tall enough for a human to walk in, somehow.

I need to get my familiar.

She replaces Tisiphone in her bag and runs in a dignified manner to the stairway out, to let the hawk familiar Typhon in, then rejoin her bodyguards. Along the way she tries to scrape rat parts off her shoes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Typhon may be collected but you require assistance moving the slab man hole. I assume someone helps you.

Jack is stable but is still on 1 HP out of 2 HP. There is no obvious signs of infection. It appears there is just a sizeable chunk of Jack missing.

As it took an amount of time for the rat carpet™ to funnel through the little hole, as many rats as you could reasonably wish may be collected alive or dead.

The Splendiferous Magnificent Bogusiforian MK IV Bat Blinder :rolldice: doesn't survive its adventure. In future using either a lit torch or similar would work better. If the hurling of oil flasks is to be a regular thing attaching a fuse Molotov style is probably worthy of a few minutes of fantasy time.

Variously calmed and re-equipped you descend in your 5' marching order.

Martha

Aello

Ciarán

Lyme

Rolo

Someone needs to hold a light source for Ciarán and Aello (or let them stumble about in the dark, filthy ebil*).

*Elf for foreigner.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

As it took an amount of time for the rat carpet™ to funnel through the little hole, as many rats as you could reasonably wish may be collected alive or dead.

ooc: Am I correct in assuming people aren't going to give me the spare time to recruit one of them to our cause? :v:

If not: is there anything we'd like to know from one immediately, because this is the time to do it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

By all means talk to a rat. You have time while martha is digging out the blocks.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

ooc: Am I correct in assuming people aren't going to give me the spare time to recruit one of them to our cause? :v:

If not: is there anything we'd like to know from one immediately, because this is the time to do it.
It's actually the main reason I stopped the narrative at this point.

I take it you are doing Animal Friendship and then Speak With Animals? Or just Speak With Animals?

Animal Friendship may net you as many as four furry buddies. Speak With Animals is an area of effect.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Oh well in that case I'll net two of the rats and get Animal Friendship going, and then we can talk with animals at any point along, which'll help if we get lost.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Ciarán draws in a few of the rats and attempts to become buddies with a couple of them. On success, he'll put them up on his shoulders to chill.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:rolldice: Ciarán now has two rat buddies on his shoulder.

cross posting:

While Doctor Doolittle is playing lets make a date with his rat buddies...

checks everyone's inventory.

I believe that we are at candles only.

If someone could bear the embarrassment you may be able to get either some torches or a lantern from the granary night shift.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

I'm not sure how popular I'd be with the night shift if I walked in with these two on my shoulders, one of you others might want to head up and see if you can requisition a lamp.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
For illustration here is "the Party" in 5' marching order:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Excuse me everybody but I suggest we put out the fire now

Bolo looks at the smashed lantern. Ashame, but he can always get a new one.

It looks like someone else will have to sort out the lighting situation for us...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Now with a hawk on her shoulder, she approaches the excavated tunnel and tries not be too disgusted by the smell. She glances up at the rather high ceiling.

Martha, was this tunnel excavated entirely by rats, or were tools used?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The fire has already burned itself out by the time anyone gets back to extinguish it. How long did you think 1 gp of widely disbursed oil was going to keep burning for?

Martha is able to determine that the excavations are 99.93%+/- 0.07% rat. Whether she tells you is another matter.

At this point I find myself at an impasse. Either:

A/Someone goes and gets a lantern and/or torches and you head down the rabbit rat hole.
B/The Party™ vowes to leave and return to investigate another day (possibly better equipped).
C/The Party™ sneaks away and hopes nobody cares they disappeared (135 sweet, sweet exp!).
D/The Party™ decides that "drat it candles were good enough for my Uncle Scratchy!" and presses onward down the rabbit rat hole.
E/Other, may include interpretive dance.

I roll quite enough dice as it is without making these simple decisions for you all.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 2, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

These tunnels seem to have been made by the rats

I have five candles, we really only need one burning at a time for the two humans. I am happy to hand my candles over if we are happy to proceed. If Aello or Ciarán want to ask one of the millers, I would also be happy to wait

Martha strokes her beard and thinks to herself that she needs another word that means "happy"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Since everyone else is likely to be involved in martial efforts, I would be ecstatic to hold a candle for our vision-impaired comrades.

A big smile proves this.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

I'll go and ask for a loan of a lantern. Surely they won't refuse considering we're venturing into the underworld on their behalf.

Aello goes and asks for a lantern/torches

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Aello is immediately rewarded with a lantern and some oil flasks (2). The lantern is already full. It is clearly marked as being the property of the granary and the guard captain wishes you well.

Now assembled and lit you proceed in marching order into the descending tunnel. After about 20' the tunnel branches.

You are in a maze of twisty passages all alike.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She holds the lantern carefully.

We need some way of navigating our way out as we go deeper. I suggest carving an arrow in the wall indicating the way we came.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't panic, ebil.

She hides the light of the lantern, lets her eyes adjust, and uses infravision to see which tunnel has been most heavily used by the rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
One does seem a little better traveled.

• Locked thread