Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Of all the things I've said here I never thought that trashing suburbia would be the one thing people get most defensive about.

Also my cum encrusted work station is quite clean tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Country Mouse and City Mouse gettin on like nobody's fuckin business but Country Goon and City Goon can't stand the thought of the other's existence

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Haven't been, my cousin is from Fort Worth, but his family has to drive 1 hour each way just for some freaking dim sum. And it's not even good.

America needs an HSR already aiya.

They keep telling us we're getting HSR at some point between Albany and NYC. Right now it's just over 2 hours, which really inst that bad. Time for a couple tallboys on the way home. It's a little pricy already at between $75-$100 for a round trip. I'm not sure I'd trade a hour for a higher price.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Hey goons, how come housing projects are failures in USA? They work in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Piling shitloads of poor people into a single, super-dense area is a bad idea.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
100 USD for a 2 hour trip? Heck, I can go the middle of China with that far :china: Horrible country, but decent trains (if they don't crash)

This is my kind of suburbia.

750 square feet. But train rides take 35 minutes and door to door takes 1 hour. Man so far.

My second favourite city to visit in the world: Tokyo

Life is not as dense but people spend more time in slower trains :smith:

Got to love michael wolf.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Pauline Kael posted:

Jealous haters because they have to spend their entire section 8 check just to share a 800 sq foot apartment with 2 others, less space than you have for hobbies.

I always love this argument, oh no, only 800 sqft where am I going to put all this poo poo I don't need? You would have to be pretty fat to need more than 800 sqft to be comfortable.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is it more expensive to live in the suburbs in the US than it is to live in the inner city? I'm trying to understand the pride some people seem to have about living in what most people would call a cultural desert - devoid of life and hope.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is it more expensive to live in the suburbs in the US than it is to live in the inner city? I'm trying to understand the pride some people seem to have about living in what most people would call a cultural desert - devoid of life and hope.

No it is cheaper, it's people just justifying to themselves that they live in the suburbs because they can't afford to live in the city. If they could move their lovely box from the middle of nowhere to the heart of the city for the same price they would do it in a heartbeat.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Buy land. They aren't making it anymore :smugdog:

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

I always love this argument, oh no, only 800 sqft where am I going to put all this poo poo I don't need? You would have to be pretty fat to need more than 800 sqft to be comfortable.

Well Mr Olives, I have a wife, 2 kids, and 2 cats, 3 vehicles, and an extensive homebrewing layout, in addition to my wood and metal shops. These are all things you would not have to account for, so it's fine for you to stay in your sardine like accommodations, being annoyed by other human beings.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

im all for not having poo poo you dont need, but if you have animals or something and youre married 800sq/ft will be tight. also what does weight have to do with it? im sure some very fit people live in mansions. in fact this one dude i did some work for back in the day was the owner of a mining company. he was truly baller, with a waterfall swiming pool in his house and stuff. pretty fit couple he had a nice indoor gym.

also lol if everyone considers hanging out downtown the highlight of life. i think that is pretty boring. all you city slickers have to drive forever to get to the outdoors, but its just a few blocks away from my house.

Is it more expensive to live in the suburbs in the US than it is to live in the inner city?

depends really. look at the bay area for example.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

No it is cheaper, it's people just justifying to themselves that they live in the suburbs because they can't afford to live in the city. If they could move their lovely box from the middle of nowhere to the heart of the city for the same price they would do it in a heartbeat.

Nope. I wouldn't move my house, even with the 6 acres it sits on, into any City. Too many busybodies like you getting into my business.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

im all for not having poo poo you dont need, but if you have animals or something and youre married 800sq/ft will be tight.

I have two dogs, dogs don't take up that much space. Also I am friends with two people that are married and live in the same size space I do and they have plenty of money to buy a bigger place if they wanted one.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

I have two dogs, dogs don't take up that much space. Also I am friends with two people that are married and live in the same size space I do and they have plenty of money to buy a bigger place if they wanted one.

How much storage do they pay for?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

stupid poors in their suburbs

its as if broad generalizations arent very good arguments :confused:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
well you can't have garage bands without garages, so i say rock on dads with garages

the city is pretty cool though. if I only have to walk 2 blocks to get to bars, stores, a library, the bus, and my friends, I don't mind stepping over a bit of poo, i mean it's all natural anyway ;)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

The Applebees in my suburb went out of business :(

my applebees got bought out and is being turned into a hipster taco/margarita place

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Do you mean a small town or the wilderness or a boat? Otherwise no.

As someone who has lived in a small town and a suburb, I vastly prefer living in the suburb with it's modern conveniences like "more than one supermarket" and "restaurants."

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

If you lived somewhere else you wouldn't be bored enough to try to turn a garage into some kind of adolescent wish fulfillment room.

Living the dream.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

my applebees got bought out and is being turned into a hipster taco/margarita place

and my local hipster taco/margarita place is being turned into a applebees! You got your city in my burb, no you got your 'burb in my city! the world is topsy-turvy

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it seems like the fads hardcore city dwellers enjoy are just hyped up versions of what people in rural areas eat/do/wear every single day. like buying a bag of air from a forest for $500 so you can smell fresh air or something

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'd rather live in the burbs than the city because I just hate people, cities have too many of them in too close proximity, and suburbs are better than living in East Bumfuck where color TV is the hip new thing and the hot gossip is whose cousin-sister is having another grandaunt-niece.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'd rather live in the burbs than the city because I just hate people, cities have too many of them in too close proximity, and suburbs are better than living in East Bumfuck where color TV is the hip new thing and the hot gossip is whose cousin-sister is having another grandaunt-niece.

Yes, but in the 'burbs they actually want to talk to you. No one has time for that nonsense in the city.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Let's change the subject now.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Knyteguy posted:

im all for not having poo poo you dont need, but if you have animals or something and youre married 800sq/ft will be tight. also what does weight have to do with it? im sure some very fit people live in mansions. in fact this one dude i did some work for back in the day was the owner of a mining company. he was truly baller, with a waterfall swiming pool in his house and stuff. pretty fit couple he had a nice indoor gym.

also lol if everyone considers hanging out downtown the highlight of life. i think that is pretty boring. all you city slickers have to drive forever to get to the outdoors, but its just a few blocks away from my house.

Seconding this. I've lived in the city, it's pretty drat boring and takes forever to get out of it.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, but in the 'burbs they actually want to talk to you. No one has time for that nonsense in the city.

You and I live in radically different suburbs.

That, or nobody wants to talk to me.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Doccers posted:

Seconding this. I've lived in the city, it's pretty drat boring and takes forever to get out of it.

which city? because some cities are pretty drat boring

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The sound of fat breeder regret.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the city is pretty cool when you're a shut-in loser who doesn't require anything but an internet connection and has no hobby that can't be fulfilled through a screen

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i just moved from the middle of an urban area to a suburb and i'm liking it way better. i've been living in apartments for about 7 years and i always considered myself an apartment person, don't need much space, etc but i think i changed my mind now. i always have parking(even for my guests), i'm closer to LA now so I have better city poo poo that's just slightly further, and I get to chill in the backyard and listen to music and smoke weed instead of having to choose between being couped up in my gay apartment, in some gay loud rear end restaurant, or at some gay park with gay kids. the american suburbs are perhaps the worst, least efficient form of spatially organizing a society, but it is dope as hell if you are a white person with a car who plans to die way before the suburbs destroy the world

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i just moved from the middle of an urban area to a suburb and i'm liking it way better. i've been living in apartments for about 7 years and i always considered myself an apartment person, don't need much space, etc but i think i changed my mind now. i always have parking(even for my guests), i'm closer to LA now so I have better city poo poo that's just slightly further, and I get to chill in the backyard and listen to music and smoke weed instead of having to choose between being couped up in my gay apartment, in some gay loud rear end restaurant, or at some gay park with gay kids. the american suburbs are perhaps the worst, least efficient form of spatially organizing a society, but it is dope as hell if you are a white person with a car who plans to die way before the suburbs destroy the world

excuse me can you do this in the suburbs you cultureless swine

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Are you a parent? Are you a lovely lazy parent? (yes, the answer to that is yes own up to it please)
Move to the suburbs!

It takes tremendous effort for even totally unsupervised kids to get into trouble there, because there's nothing to do. Stripmall suburbs are empty cultural wastelands, but they make up for this by being parenting easy-mode.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
the city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhM-EGCT1Y

the suburbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vqwA_sGCHM

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knyteguy posted:

excuse me can you do this in the suburbs you cultureless swine

Like a 5 minute drive instead of a 7 minute walk now but yeah

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone want to watch Frozen?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I drove out to meet a friend at a bar in some no-name town in Iowa while he was visiting his parents. 45 minute drive out from the nearest city.
It was noon, and the bar was filled with 60-70 year old men all getting drunk before having to return to their miserable lives of farming the same endless cornfields.
The suburbs and cities are both paradise compared to that.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Foid One posted:

Large yard you can garden in? have pets that you actually care for yourself? have a car that you can work on? I'm a little confused OP.

Don't have a car/give a poo poo about cars, I care for my cat just fine thanks, I have a large enough garden for my purposes? It's almost as if different people value different things in their lives (except living in the suburbs is killing the planet faster than living in city so I hope u crash yr hummer into your fat kids you suburbanite scum I won't shed a single artisanal tear over it, who has room to store even the most finely handcrafted tears with the way rent is these days)

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If I lived in a downtown area I would have no reason or time to own and use powertools, and therefore no reason to live

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Pick posted:

If I lived in a downtown area I would have no reason or time to own and use powertools, and therefore no reason to live

Live in a single-family part of a city, problem solved. Seattle, Portland, and Pittsburgh are lousy with them. Why does everyone assume "city" means "downtown in an apartment"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

himajinga posted:

Live in a single-family part of a city, problem solved. Seattle, Portland, and Pittsburgh are lousy with them. Why does everyone assume "city" means "downtown in an apartment"?

That's what I'm doing at present, hence specifying.

• Locked thread