Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Brian Krzanich resigned as the CEO of Intel after violating the company’s non-fraternization policy

content warning: sex crimes

this is obviously bullshit. he probably refused to step down until the board played dirty and brought up his bi-curious-and-curiouser fling with michael who runs the company fitness program, or he like legit sexually harassed someone and agreed to a payout and resignation deal.

it would be the absolute most wrong time in history to do this, but perhaps he's trying to save face by going out with the narrative that "i gotta resign for having an active sex life".

but the press release said "consensual". there are two times when you use the term "consensual": firstly when you explain to your children or your sex-ed students that "sex is not where you lay on top of a girl and say 'come on... come on...' until you eventually penetrate them and nut. it's where you get a 'yes' and then bone, which makes it consensual". the second case where you use the term consensual is in a room containing a wealthy CEO, a dozen lawyers, and an emotionally conflicted woman holding either a cheque or instructions on how to receive a wire transfer.

there are exceptions. like the time it wasn't a wealthy CEO, but the actor who played Elmo, and instead of a woman with a cheque or wire transfer, it was a young boy with a suitcase full of watches and jewelry. don't look this up, it describes how many fingers went in where, at what age, and by which beloved childhood character.

steve jobs parked his sports car in the handicapped parking spot, refused to support his daughter, and worst of all made his do-nothing lout of a beer-buddy, steve wozniak, become an employee and even co-founder, a clear conflict of interest because Wozniak was worthless. did they ever fire him? ok, once, sure, but not for violating company policy. they're CEO. they violate company policy everyday using CIA contacts who, through networks of front companies, will resort to anything to maim, kill or disrupt attempts by workers to improve working conditions or raise wages, not to mention the corporate espionage, corruption or reputation management (think marketing that's not officially connected to them; fake comments, fake news, etc) they oversee.

TL;DR for the shareholder class to actually fire this guy he must have actually sexually harassed someone who was paid a settlement, or the shareholders just have no hope in this company, despite billions in profit, because everything has gone the other way. the idea that he resigned over taking two muffins from the breakfast layout in the cafeteria, or violating any rule that's meant for other folks hardly seems believable, especially given the mounting internal and external issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

didn’t read any of pkevs posts itt

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I can't tell if his bot got loose or not

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great idea for a thread. I think my laptop has an Intel but there's no way to really tell. I hope you don't mind me posting here anyway. Keep up the good posts all. -Flat Daddy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

Great idea for a thread. I think my laptop has an Intel but there's no way to really tell. I hope you don't mind me posting here anyway. Keep up the good posts all. -Flat Daddy

gas

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gas hyperthread amd op

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
fake more cores

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bought a cheap ryzen laptop I didn’t really need just to stick it to Intel.

Turns out it’s surprisingly hard to get Linux to run stable on these ryzen craptops!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

yeah it depends on the game but its just freakin old as dirt at this point. even at 4.5Ghz it was a huge bottleneck.

What's the rough Skylake (or w/e the newest Intel chip is) equivalent to a 4.5ghz Sandy Bridge?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

I bought a cheap ryzen laptop I didn’t really need just to stick it to Intel.

Turns out it’s surprisingly hard to get Linux to run stable on these ryzen craptops!

that sucks.

there are so many categories to support now. I don't really know, but Intel seems to do OK with laptops. Vega, for example, seems to do well in Mac software that uses OpenCL and Metal. AMD architectures for Xbox and Sony were obviously for low, and when released for desktop were a great value but not benchmark queens.

some idiot rumour said "Vega was made for Apple and Navi is built for Xbox/Playstation next gen". if that's the case, AMD is leading the console release cycle, a great position. were it up to me, i'd keep the xbox one and ps4 around another 5+ years, but both companies are teasing new hardware already. Sony's E3 _never mentioned hardware_, for all we know all that mind-blowing poo poo was on Navi and will be PS5 games.

after the huge reshuffle at Sony I thought maybe they'd ask nVideo or AMD for a Tegra-type chip to combat Nintendo Switch with a dual-purpose console. doesn't look like it with those demos.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i thought producing chips for consoles had so thin margins it’s almost not worth it

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's the rough Skylake (or w/e the newest Intel chip is) equivalent to a 4.5ghz Sandy Bridge?

it's not really scientific but CPU-Z rated it around a i7-6700K. so decent but not mind-blowing performance. equivalent to like an i5-8600T lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
S C I E N C E

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

S C I E N C E

R U L E S

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yea :rodtronics:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

it's not really scientific but CPU-Z rated it around a i7-6700K. so decent but not mind-blowing performance. equivalent to like an i5-8600T lol.

this is mildly reassuring for delaying an upgrade and also pretty lol because thats what like a 6 generation gap?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

:rodtronics:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

hijacking a boring kevin thread to poast :rodtronics:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

this is mildly reassuring for delaying an upgrade and also pretty lol because thats what like a 6 generation gap?

yeah but the 8600T is a 25W TDP CPU, it's one of the slowest coffee lakes

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

gas hyperthread amd op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ah I get it! because hyperthreading is a thing intel CPUs do. cool post

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so is the semiaccurate guy nutting all over the place or what?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

i thought producing chips for consoles had so thin margins it’s almost not worth it

amd is fabless

they just design a chip and pay someone else to manufacture it. as long as the margin is non-zero, and it leverages prior design work, it's profitable

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

ah I get it! because hyperthreading is a thing intel CPUs do. cool post

my first real desktop had a 2.8ghz p4 with :pcgaming: Intel Hyper Thread Technology :pcgaming:

my friend and I were so confused because two processors showed up in device manager

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd is fabless

they just design a chip and pay someone else to manufacture it. as long as the margin is non-zero, and it leverages prior design work, it's profitable

huh didnt realize they did it the vizio way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

huh didnt realize they did it the vizio way

i didn't think vizio even designed the tvs

i thought they just slapped a brand on whatever came out of shenzhen this week

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

when my friends and I burned CD's, we'd leave the computer alone so it didn't screw stuff up

when hyper threading came out, that meant you could burn CD's and safely do other stuff

i'm not really sure if this is true or just marketing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That has very little to do with the cpu, it was more about when we burned CDs back in the days it was done on windows 98 with a lovely VIA IDE bus controller, hard drives barely able to keep up and a cd recorder that didn't have the ability to recover from buffer underruns

and each recordable cd was like $15 so you basically had to hold your breath until it was done writing or you ended up wasting a ton of money

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

r u ready to WALK posted:

That has very little to do with the cpu, it was more about when we burned CDs back in the days it was done on windows 98 with a lovely VIA IDE bus controller, hard drives barely able to keep up and a cd recorder that didn't have the ability to recover from buffer underruns

and each recordable cd was like $15 so you basically had to hold your breath until it was done writing or you ended up wasting a ton of money

cdrws were double the risk and also a safety net; even more expensive to damage, but if it was file corruption it could be rewritten

lack of ram didnt help, since if there wasnt enough of a buffer all that disk bottlenecking came into play even harder. i remember getting a faster burner with a new and beefy 768mb of ram and it was like a disco, just fresh cdrs everywhere with no issues

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

a kid at school didn’t have the internet so he paid me $5 per burnt CD of hentai

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
screen saver goes on, burn fails, $15 CDR ruined. gently caress

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i remember getting in a big fight with my brother one time when he bumped the tower while it was cdring

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my first burner was one of the first to have the buffer underrun protection feature. every CD a winner.

hilariously though i was one of the last of my friends to get off 56k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah mine could survive under run errors

now ya can buy 5 blue ray writers for a tenner

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd is fabless

don't know why amd sold their stake in glofo. i guess tech is one of the few sectors where contract manufacturing isn't like printing money.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
plextor made the best cd burners

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

don't know why amd sold their stake in glofo. i guess tech is one of the few sectors where contract manufacturing isn't like printing money.

glofo was spun off from amd and ibm because ibm no longer believed their jv partner was solvent. amd proceeded to sell off their entire stake little by little because they were, in fact, insolvent

it was not some kind of bold strategic move, they just didn't have another choice

global foundries and tsmc seem to do ok on their own w/out any design capabilities or design IP so plainly manufacturing still has some profit in it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

glofo was spun off from amd and ibm because ibm no longer believed their jv partner was solvent. amd proceeded to sell off their entire stake little by little because they were, in fact, insolvent

it was not some kind of bold strategic move, they just didn't have another choice

global foundries and tsmc seem to do ok on their own w/out any design capabilities or design IP so plainly manufacturing still has some profit in it
makes sense, i should have figured it would've been something like that. just the nugget i needed to answer that nagging question i had in my head, that's kind of annoying to read into if you're too lazy to follow along as it's happening.

it's the difference of amd making GBS threads their pants by choice or not, so i don't know if they really come off as more or less competent either way anyhow though. lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this is why macs with scsi drives were way better for burning cds back in the day, no cpu overhead for general drive operations because the scsi controller did that. ide has always been garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah manufacturing makes money, it is just too expensive for most companies to do and and also design chips on a scale that keeps the fabs running at a volume where it makes money.

intel and samsung (and a liiiitle but of ibm) are the only companies that do manufacturing process research and also processor design anymore.

memory is a bit of a different beast and some weird high margin processes like power transistors (eg nxp/freescale, infoneon, micron). vlsi / logic is just too expensive and you gotta make designs from everyone to keep your factory at capacity.

intel is the only logic manufacturer that has enough volume to make (almost) exclusively their own designs. ibm just does process research shares that with glofo. glofo manufactures the ibm power line now, i think.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 1, 2018

• Locked thread