Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I think we should all give Chip and Ironicus a big hand for this great LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Man that boss fight was just so much fun to watch. Even with all the barrage of arm puns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SWMadness posted:

Man that boss fight was just so much fun to watch. Even with all the barrage of arm puns.

I did like how, for the first proper boss, Platinum just gives you a pretty great one-on-one fight with a human-sized enemy (always better than fighting a monster the size of a skyscraper because it allows for more mobility) and a neat gimmick. Then they waited for two minutes and flipped a giant loving lever marked EXPLOSIONS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

General Ironicus posted:

The thread is about to be filled with bad jokes and I apologize for setting the precedent. Arm yourselves.

Euuughhh. t:mad:

(edit) aaahhg i never noticed the pun in that weapon name aaaghhhh

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 8, 2013

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One great, subtle touch I really appreciate about this game is the final phase for every boss fight swaps their model skin for a really bloody, hosed up version. Look at Mistral's body during the finishing move QTE- she's not just airbrushed to look hosed up and dying, but specifically, cut up. Love.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, Mistral sure was well armed. Still, Chip really handled her - I bet he could have taken her down with both arms behind his back. His skill really does just dwarf mine. I also really like the polearm - it comes in handy when you're dealing with lots of weak enemies, it's a great way to stop Dwarf Gekko from getting their hands on you. Now let's all link arms and clap our hands while we wait for the next update.

:iamafag:

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Re: Russian writing

Chapter 1 takes place in Abkhazia, which is a small territory near Georgia :eng101:

Also, in my 60+ hours with this game, I never noticed Mistral had that counterattack! :doh:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, Mistral sure was well armed. Still, Chip really handled her - I bet he could have taken her down with both arms behind his back. His skill really does just dwarf mine. I also really like the polearm - it comes in handy when you're dealing with lots of weak enemies, it's a great way to stop Dwarf Gekko from getting their hands on you. Now let's all link arms and clap our hands while we wait for the next update.

:iamafag:

I want to strangle you.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

EDDryden posted:

Re: Russian writing

Chapter 1 takes place in Abkhazia, which is a small territory near Georgia :eng101:

Also, in my 60+ hours with this game, I never noticed Mistral had that counterattack! :doh:

That was my mistake. With the amount of time between recordings the fact we moved settings slipped my mind. The next chapter starts with a real strong emonstration of the new locale, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The next chapter has the best outfit in the game.

Ciaphas posted:

Mistral's theme is also called "A Stranger I Remain".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All the bosses have great music, except for one who has the worst. :colbert: It also happens to be the most disappointing boss too.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
The wind effect on Raiden's hair around minute 11 of episode 4-2 makes it look more like Raiden's brain is pulsating than his hair is blowing in the wind.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Mistral's theme has a longer version that isn't in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tyc-Efgugs

I like the remixed version too, but I wonder why they cut out a majority of the song.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Here's the lyrics for Mistral's song:

A Stranger I Remain
I’ve come here from nowhere
Across the unforgiving sea
Drifting further and further
It’s all becoming clear to me

But violent winds are upon us and I can’t sleep
Internal temperatures rising
And all the voices won’t recede

I’ve finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war
I’ve finally found what I was looking for

Here I come

La chaleur me dérange
Mais c’est le grincement du bateau qui m’a réveillé

I sharpen the knife
And look down upon the bay
For all of my life
A stranger I remain
A stranger I remain
A stranger I remain

The French apparently translates to:
The heat bothers me
But it is the creaking of the boat that woke me

I haven't bothered replaying this game yet, but I do love the bosses in the game (except for one). For me, the controls feel clunkier than Bayonetta, and is therefore worse :v:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
A Stranger I Remain is Mistral's theme.

Here's the "original" version. (Youtube warning)

The singer for this song is Free Dominguez, the lead singer for the band Kidneythieves. If you like this song, check out her Bandcamp, it's good stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Definitely going to use those Mistral tips to keep Raiden out of arm's way.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I really like Mistral's character design. There's a strong emphasis on sensuality without rendering her weapon/outfit totally impractical, and her overall design gives off a strong impression of dominance. I also like that they made her personality really headstrong. It's quite a step up from the B&B corps. She's a pretty cool character in general.

Oh yeah, and her boss theme is fantastic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, Mistral sure was well armed.

I can't help but love how she has her own personal armada.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lance Streetman posted:

I really like Mistral's character design. There's a strong emphasis on sensuality without rendering her weapon/outfit totally impractical, and her overall design gives off a strong impression of dominance. I also like that they made her personality really headstrong. It's quite a step up from the B&B corps. She's a pretty cool character in general.

Oh yeah, and her boss theme is fantastic.

I didn't notice until like my 3rd playthrough of the game but god drat don't show feet bb :gonk:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The polearm is quite possibly the most broken subweapon in the game because of how loving much it hits things holy poo poo.

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight
Every time I watch an update it just makes me want to go back and play the game again.

One thing I like that Chip didn't show off is that you can kill Mistral but leave her almost intact if you cut her carefully on that final blade mode. Somehow it's more unnerving to me to listen to her last codec when she's not a pile of shards.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dragonatrix posted:

I can't help but love how she has her own personal armada.

Yeah, it's really cool how she has her own Gecko army! :)

beep by grandpa posted:

I didn't notice until like my 3rd playthrough of the game but god drat don't show feet bb :gonk:

Those claw feet actually look pretty useful. :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was this fight and what happens at the start of the next chapter that cemented my love for this game.

I'm glad there aren't too many people getting up in arms about bad puns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Of the Winds of Destruction I would say Mistral is my second favorite. My favorite has yet to be introduced but it be clear when he shows up.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Ciaphas posted:

You should also take a closer look at her pose:

Yeah, maybe this game has more Kojima influence than we realize.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Man, this boss music is so rad. The part with the vocals (~8:10 or so in the video) that kicks in right when the final form starts is so awesome :black101:

Edit: Still bummed that there wasn't a reference to Ocelot's "you're pretty good" gesture with this boss. ALL THOSE HANDS. THE POSSIBILITIES :stonk:

Geop fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 8, 2013

Slayer0
Jan 14, 2012

YOUR SHINING BOY

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The polearm is quite possibly the most broken subweapon in the game because of how loving much it hits things holy poo poo.

I disagree if only because of what the next one can do.

That being said, L'Etranger is still loving amazing, especially when its strength is maxed out. It rips and tears pretty drat well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Slayer0 posted:

I disagree if only because of what the next one can do.

That being said, L'Etranger is still loving amazing, especially when its strength is maxed out. It rips and tears pretty drat well.

Yeah, they all have their own little things about them. As far as crowds go though, the maxed-out polearm absolutely shreds everything in a few seconds.

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!
Jesus, all those S ranks.

I'm pretty sure Chip is a product of the Patriots.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I love that song lyrics so far have had little tid-bits about the boss's motivations. More games need exposition through butt-rock.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

beep by grandpa posted:

They certainly make you look uncomfortable to look at them, which makes sense. She's all about arms, her legs are becoming an afterthought with only the most basic of a foot. She isn't really all that mobile on her legs, using her weapon to do most of the reaching for her.

I wanna think they were trying to say something with the designs of these guys and inhumanization.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like the HF Landskates. I want a pair, but I don't know if I'd need CNT glutes to show my moves off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I might be jumping the gun but since there was a lot of grenade chat in the video, do you ever parry a grenade?

I guess its not anything super special but they tend to sail unerringly into the pile of enemies and its another example of everything is parryable in the coolest way.

While Rex and Blade Wolf were pretty awesome, Mistral is what really sold me on the game and causing me to play it every free moment after work till I finished it. This game really nails overall presentation even if the gameplay might not stack up 1 to 1 to other competitors.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Gearhead posted:

They certainly make you look uncomfortable to look at them, which makes sense. She's all about arms, her legs are becoming an afterthought with only the most basic of a foot. She isn't really all that mobile on her legs, using her weapon to do most of the reaching for her.

I wanna think they were trying to say something with the designs of these guys and inhumanization.

By Metal Gear Rising 3 all cyborgs will just have lil nubs for feet like Orbital Frames they skate around on :kiddo:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sapient Afro posted:

You should also take a closer look at her pose:

In that pose she gives herself a stranger and then she tells Raiden (presumably) that she loves him when she dies.

So this whole fight is basically some kind of Freudian metaphor?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 8, 2013

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm finding this deluge of puns to be quite humerus.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Silentman0 posted:

A Stranger I Remain is Mistral's theme.

Here's the "original" version. (Youtube warning)

The singer for this song is Free Dominguez, the lead singer for the band Kidneythieves. If you like this song, check out her Bandcamp, it's good stuff.

This song is amazing and everyone should listen to it. :allears:

Also Chip, is the site supposed to look pink and grey for this update? That's pretty cool.

Ometeotl posted:

I'm finding this deluge of puns to be quite humerus.

All non-pun makers should just go and elbow out of here. :colbert:

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.

General Ironicus posted:

The thread is about to be filled with bad jokes and I apologize for setting the precedent. Arm yourselves.

Quite a feeble attempt to disarm the coming squall of bad jokes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guys, stop giving people the cold shoulder for being bad pun makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
These puns don't have a leg to stand on.

• Locked thread