Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

MrBims posted:

That doesn't really backfire in a big way like the rest of her plans - she benefitted from that, getting Robert Strong.

She hasn't actually benefited from that. Remember how we were left hanging on that story, just like we were in book 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

If When the show guys need to stall for time while GRRM writes books then they can do a prequel about Cersei's inept assassination attempts and Robert's fat drunk jerk luck.

One of these days, Robert... BANG! ZOOM! TO THE MOON!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Roadrunner, that coyote's after you.

The king's party is travelling north to Winterfell. Cersei rides ahead and places crackling, capons, and neeps in a pile on the kingsroad and paints a brothel on a nearby rock face. Robert arrives and gorges on the food before bolting into the brothel. A dumbstruck Cersei attempts to follow him but flattens herself against solid stone. She then holds up a sign that says "Just so" because she was Syrio the whole time.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
:shrug: A couple funny parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Based on Bran's dream, are Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane destined to fight Robert Strong?

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Based on Bran's dream, are Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane destined to fight Robert Strong?

Here's the write up in the Citadel on that dream. I don't think anyone has come up with a really clear theory on what exactly it is going to mean though. http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/1791

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Well, if it were any other story it'd make narrative sense for Sandor to conquer his biggest fear and move on with his life (if he is indeed still alive), but since this is ASOIAF, he'll probably just poo poo his pants as his brother's zombified corpse burns him alive.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

webmeister posted:

Cheers to whoever posted that Meereenese Blot link - it's been fascinating reading his theories on various parts of ADWD, especially Jon's and Dany's stories which are probably the most criticised parts.

It's basically everything I wish the Huis Clos could've been, and really hope the guy does a couple of posts about Ramsay and Winterfell.
I like the Jon section way more so far; the Dany one is insightful at times but commits Overthinking Essay Crime #1A by assuming that certain characters have perfect intelligence, perfect awareness, no bias, can predict the outcome of their events with 100% accuracy, and do not make mistakes, and then hanging an entire theory upon that really shaky foundation.

Which is my round-about way of saying that Hizdhar poisoned the loving locusts, and sometimes things really are exactly what they seem on the surface.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CapnAndy posted:

I like the Jon section way more so far; the Dany one is insightful at times but commits Overthinking Essay Crime #1A by assuming that certain characters have perfect intelligence, perfect awareness, no bias, can predict the outcome of their events with 100% accuracy, and do not make mistakes, and then hanging an entire theory upon that really shaky foundation.

Which is my round-about way of saying that Hizdhar poisoned the loving locusts, and sometimes things really are exactly what they seem on the surface.

There's enough proof in those essays that it was not Hizdahr. Why would he want to gently caress up peace even more?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
^^^ The obvious motive for anyone besides the Shavepate is re establishing the slave trade.

I thought comparing the shave pâté to Littlefinger was a unique direction to take things. I really don't see much if any similarity between the two. If anyone in Mereen is a Littlefinger than it's that fragrant steward guy. Small in personal power but with the ear of the ruling class, personally unintimidating but potentially ruthless.

The whole Dany section was odd. It seemed to ignore the fact that literally every one of Danys reforms were being undermined and she was well on her way to being a figurehead. Aegon the conqueror didn't negotiate with the Westerosi nobility about keeping slaves. I don't agree about Dany being set up to be evil either. I think that the dragon having three heads means that the Targarians should rule by triumvirate. Aegom made some nice decrees, but otherwise just wrecked poo poo, made demands, and left the general governance of the kingdom to his sister wives. Dany should stick to conquest an d harsh justice and find someone else like Tyrion or Jon to run her kingdom.

I liked the section on Jon a lot more.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Man, now I want a Westerosi law enforcement show of these two. They could just make snide comments and solve crimes while actively avoiding any sword fighting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

God drat, they almost did something funny with this one with the whole "turning Game of Thrones into a wacky 80s comedy" thing, but too much typical BLR monkey cheese :iamafag: ruined it.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Blind Melon posted:

The whole Dany section was odd. It seemed to ignore the fact that literally every one of Danys reforms were being undermined and she was well on her way to being a figurehead. Aegon the conqueror didn't negotiate with the Westerosi nobility about keeping slaves. I don't agree about Dany being set up to be evil either.

Some of her compromises were just good governing to be fair, why she refused to reopen the fighting pits for so long I've no idea. Hell she should have had a grand coronation there, the first time the warriors were fighting as free people would have been a hell of a draw and got a lot of the locals onside. Slavery continuing outside the walls doesn't undermine her own anti-slavery position either, it makes a long-term bastion in the area, giving direction/protection for slave uprisings and other abolitionists, and keeps her children free for the time being. This is the most dangerous time for her, if she can just survive then her dragons will keep growing, her loyal freedmen will learn new skills and trade, the city will settle and unite behind her and Hizdar, meanwhile every other arsehole is bankrupting themselves paying for sell-swords and fleets and getting ravaged by the Pale Mare all while never actually being able to take a broadly united Mereen. The slavers, the Harpy, the Yunkai are hitting her with absolutely everything they have when she's at her most vulnerable; surviving with a couple of concessions, all of which can be rescinded as she strengthens and her enemies weaken, is pretty impressive.

I agree she isn't being set up to go full evil, just completely uncompromising now. Maybe even a mirror to Lady Stoneheart, both being completely ruthless after their children being mistreated.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's enough proof in those essays that it was not Hizdahr. Why would he want to gently caress up peace even more?
Do you really want an effortpost, and if so, on just the poison or the entire essay? Because I'll fuckin' do it, but it will be long.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
We've got another a few months to kill time, why not?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Seconded. Do your best.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

TJO posted:

Slavery continuing outside the walls doesn't undermine her own anti-slavery position either,

Let's just say I disagree. You make good points about the compromises benefits but the slave trade camp is exactly the sort of thing to undermine Dany's position and her power. She goes from ruler to ornery nag that needs to be placated but can otherwise be ignored.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I've only read Dance once and it was like 9 months ago, and I've read the theory on the Pink Letter that either Mance or Asha wrote it and not Ramsay. But I have to ask: why? Maybe I'm missing something, but what do either of them gain by writing that letter?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sir Potato posted:

I've only read Dance once and it was like 9 months ago, and I've read the theory on the Pink Letter that either Mance or Asha wrote it and not Ramsay. But I have to ask: why? Maybe I'm missing something, but what do either of them gain by writing that letter?

To get him to march south and reinforce their position, kind of stretching though. I'm not sure that Asha or Mance would be in a position to send such a letter though.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Theon preview chapter gives Stan the man's camp a maester to send a letter with potentially.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 25, 2013

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Who cares about preview chapters :ssj:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm not saying the Shavepate/locust theory is 100% right, but I think that there's a lot of subtle stuff going on in ADWD that isn't immediately apparent, just like in books 1-3. I feel like a lot of people finished ADWD and were so disappointed at the lack of resolutions that it's taken a couple of years for people to really pore over the text and start theorycrafting. Especially the way that Dany ended the book further from Westeros than she's ever been - when is she going to get to the fireworks factory?

I preferred the Dany essays, simply because regardless of whether he's right or not, it shows that there's an awful lot more happening in Meereen than just ~loldaario~.

Jon's chapters I thought were fairly clear about testing his hero's instinct, and that wanting to help everyone was going to be his tragic flaw. Although I hadn't really thought about the way he throws his lot in with Stannis with seemingly no regard for the very real possibility of Stannis losing.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

PootieTang posted:

Frankly yes. It makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat but even the worst of GRRM's writing is better than the best of the shows writers... writing. Tortured sentence but you get what I'm saying. Each season the shows writers get a bit more confidant that they can do better than GRRM and make up their own poo poo. If the last two seasons are entirely written by the shows writers, they will be WHORABLE and if GRRM bases the last book off the show then it will probably be just as bad if not worse. He's said he's given them the broad strokes, but that don't mean poo poo.

This is nonsense. There are many excellent scenes in the show that didn't come from GRRM's pen: the scenes with Tywin and Arya, Tywin's peptalk with Jaime and Robert and Cersei's chat, just to name a few.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Alekanderu posted:

This is nonsense. There are many excellent scenes in the show that didn't come from GRRM's pen: the scenes with Tywin and Arya, Tywin's peptalk with Jaime and Robert and Cersei's chat, just to name a few.

Counterpoint: Play with 'er arse.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alekanderu posted:

Bronn and the Hound in Battle of Blackwater... Tywin and Joffrey in Season 3.

Yeah, after having read the books, I notice the quality of scenes drop-- the ones that would not possibly be included in the books, because they have no POV characters. It's not that the scenes are unimportant, more so that the dialogue is written so loving badly.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Counterpoint: Play with 'er arse.

That scene is genius. Maybe the most clever way to introduce Baelish to an unsuspecting audience.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Maarak posted:

That scene is genius. Maybe the most clever way to introduce Baelish to an unsuspecting audience.

Everyone complains that scene is gratuitous, over the top, and distracting. But that's the point, Baelish is explaining what the hell he's doing, but all anyone talks about is that loving line! It's Littlefinger incarnate.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Everyone complains that scene is gratuitous, over the top, and distracting. But that's the point, Baelish is explaining what the hell he's doing, but all anyone talks about is that loving line! It's Littlefinger incarnate.

The exposition is what I didn't like about it. I just used the quote that everyone remembers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do we have ANY inkling of when Winds may possibly be released or is GRRM too busy writing 600 other things concurrently? Even "sometime next year" works.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do we have ANY inkling of when Winds may possibly be released or is GRRM too busy writing 600 other things concurrently? Even "sometime next year" works.

His time commitments refresh daily. So next year works. Ask again in two years and the answer may be the same.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM writes on the Marvel sliding scale of time. The next book is always half-done, he's always just about to publish the first half of the next installment so we don't wait too long, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I get the impression HBO is really on his case and that he's trying to stay away from side projects for the most part, so I'd guess late 2014/2015. He can write quickly when he's motivated, the first 3 books came out in 6 years.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
As an aside, I would so love to see the HBO GOT treatment given to Zelazny's Amber series. Got to this sidetrack by getting pissed off that GRRM delayed the last book to work on Wild Cards, and then remembered that Zelazny wrote for Wild Cards... although why he bothered I have no idea.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

escape artist posted:

Yeah, after having read the books, I notice the quality of scenes drop-- the ones that would not possibly be included in the books, because they have no POV characters. It's not that the scenes are unimportant, more so that the dialogue is written so loving badly.

This.

Though I didn't think the Littlefinger scene is that bad. To be honest there are some show-only scenes I like, perhaps I should have been more specific.

Scenes like Littlefinger's exposition scene, and scenes of characters who aren't POV aren't the problem, since we often get to see stuff that is only really 'reported' in the books. The problem is when the show writers write entire events and new story-lines and include them in the show, to the detriment of the story. With each season they've been changing more and more of the key storylines and details, stuff like Arya being Tywin's cupbearer was pretty dumb in my opinion, it just seemed like fanfiction more than anything.

Scenes that don't change the storyline are fine, but scenes that are directly contradictory to events in the books are not. For instance, the scene where Littlefinger and Vary's have a conversation in front of the Iron Throne in season one (“When you picture yourself on the throne, what does it look like?”) are all fine and dandy because they could theoretically have happened 'off page'. Stuff like Arya being Tywin's cupbearer or Jeyne Westerling (I think that was her name) being replaced with some other original character (a self insert of one of the shows writers maybe?) are detriments.

The last one was extra confusing to me because it just made such weird changes to it, it didn't even have that huge of an effect on the plot it just made everything a bit more... Amatuer.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 25, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There was a recent article on GRRM that indicated it would be released in 2014, and really if you start thinking about how fast he needs to get things out to not get overtaken, it kind of has to be.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Arya/Tywin scenes were loving brilliant, but yeah, sure, they're a detriment to the show because they're invented wholesale :rolleyes:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PootieTang posted:

Jeyne Westerling (I think that was her name) being replaced with some other original character (a self insert of one of the shows writers maybe?) are detriments.

The last one was extra confusing to me because it just made such weird changes to it, it didn't even have that huge of an effect on the plot it just made everything a bit more... Amatuer.

This doesn't make any sense. Changing Jeyne into Talisa had no impact on anything, so why was it amateur? Nobody who hasn't read the books would know the difference, and most people who've read the books agree that it didn't make any difference.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Arya/Tywin scenes were loving brilliant, but yeah, sure, they're a detriment to the show because they're invented wholesale :rolleyes:

They remove a lot of character for someone more important than Tywin, Roose.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Tywin has 10 episodes at best left. Roose could very well live till the end of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you are arguing that the series would be better off without the Tywin/Arya scenes, or Varys/Olenna, or anything with Show Margaery, or the Robert/Cersei scene, or Thoros/Melisandre, go take a long look in the mirror.

That is what a wrong person looks like.

• Locked thread