Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

vvv: True but goddamn is it the worst thing in solo.

I was not being serious, it really is abominable design on multiple levels, solo or multiplayer. Since enemies get randomly-generated weapons too, there's absolutely nothing keeping a random RPG Loader from getting a laser-accurate rocket launcher with projectiles that travel faster than bullets and instantly downing you from a kilometer away just by looking in your general direction.

This recently happened to me twice on the upper path to the Info Stockade. After I was downed the first time, there were still a couple loaders left alive way over on the other end of the highway, so I tried to snipe them, thinking that it would be safer than being up close with their splash damage. I literally don't even see them fire before suddenly my shields are gone and I have 5% of my health left.

Rockets are balanced for players by the fact that you can't carry much launcher ammo, launchers have really long reload speeds, enemies have more health than you, and there are multiple enemies compared to only one of you. So when multiple enemies get these things things capable of one-shotting you, dealing splash damage, and traveling really really fast, there's a pretty goddamn serious problem with balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Poque posted:

Is there an agreed-upon method of fixing the game when it just refuses to run? I have the game through Steam and built a new PC over the weekend, and unfortunately BL2 refuses to launch through Steam. If I have my Friends window open, it says I'm "Now Playing Borderlands 2" for a couple seconds, but never even gets to the splash screen, and goes back to listing me as "Online". I found a weird workaround where I can launch the .exe with a .txt file in the main game folder, but the player files don't synchronize with Steam and I risk losing any progress I make while playing this way, and probably prevents me from playing with friends on Steam.

Key changes from the old system:
  • Upgraded from Vista64 to Win7-64
  • Graphics card from 9800 GTX to 660 (not TI)
  • Stayed with Gigabyte for Mobo, just upgraded to a modern one
  • Stayed with Intel for CPU, just upgraded to i5 Ivy Bridge
  • Upgraded from 4GB RAM to 16GB, same company (Corsair)

Any thoughts? I've googled around quite a bit but haven't found anything that gets it to function through Steam...most people cite installing Steam AS the solution.
Did you validate game files to regenerate the executable? If not, it's probably Steam's DRM kicking in (it ties the executable to your system/hardware).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gibbed posted:

Did you validate game files to regenerate the executable? If not, it's probably Steam's DRM kicking in (it ties the executable to your system/hardware).

I've been doing the 'verify game cache' but I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're saying. Every time I do that, it says it finds files it needs to redownload, but it doesn't fix the issue. Is that different than what you're suggesting? If it is, is the validation something I can do or should I contact Steam support? I kind of hope it's the latter, since dealing with Steam support is a drat fine experience.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I was not being serious, it really is abominable design on multiple levels, solo or multiplayer. Since enemies get randomly-generated weapons too, there's absolutely nothing keeping a random RPG Loader from getting a laser-accurate rocket launcher with projectiles that travel faster than bullets and instantly downing you from a kilometer away just by looking in your general direction.

Ah, sorry if I sounded a bit sardonic there, but yes, enemy rocketeers are no fun to fight against. There's plenty they could've done to cut down on their poo poo: limit them to one a mob, give them a wind-up animation or laser sight tell, give them a fixed weapon instead of random ones; but no, anyone playing the final stage of that arena quest is going to have to deal with five (?) RPG Loaders with practically no cover.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is there any good reason to hold onto cash greater than 40k? Since ammo and re spawn costs scale with amount of cash available, I can't think of any reason. Occasionally something at a vendor catches my eyes, bit it's still really cheap.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Poque posted:

I've been doing the 'verify game cache' but I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're saying. Every time I do that, it says it finds files it needs to redownload, but it doesn't fix the issue. Is that different than what you're suggesting? If it is, is the validation something I can do or should I contact Steam support? I kind of hope it's the latter, since dealing with Steam support is a drat fine experience.
No, that's what I'm talking about. The single file it always redownloads is the executable. Then once you run the game it'll regenerate the executable.

Don't know what your issue is then.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gibbed posted:

No, that's what I'm talking about. The single file it always redownloads is the executable. Then once you run the game it'll regenerate the executable.

Don't know what your issue is then.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'll contact Steam and 2K and see what's up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is there any good reason to hold onto cash greater than 40k? Since ammo and re spawn costs scale with amount of cash available, I can't think of any reason. Occasionally something at a vendor catches my eyes, bit it's still really cheap.

I thought ammo costs scaled with zone level?

But no, there's gently caress all to spend money on. Gambling, I guess.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

At level 50 I've seen vendor items that run well over 100k pretty regularly. I imagine if a unique shows up there it could potentially be quite expensive. That's the only reason I can think of though.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

There's a challenge to have 3 million dollars. Other than that there's no real reason to have money but there's no real reason not to have money either.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Poque posted:

Key changes from the old system:
  • Upgraded from Vista64 to Win7-64

Uninstall your nvidia drivers and do a complete registry wipe of it (the drivers, not your registry). Re-install using the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia. You may need to reinstall/repair directx after this. If it still doesn't work, do a clean install of win7. If you don't want to bother with the drivers, just skip to reinstalling windows.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Objectives:

1.) Shoot The Sheriff.
2.) Do Not Shoot The Deputy.

:haw:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

Objectives:

1.) Shoot The Sheriff.
2.) Do Not Shoot The Deputy.

:haw:
References!

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

While on the subject of enemies with rocket launchers.. :haw:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Oh god that one is a royal pain in the rear end if you're decked head to toe in E-tech weaponry, like I am on my Axton. Nothing can knock off his hat, and then he makes quick work of me.
My turrets pick me up real fast, but it's still annoying.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Aenslaed posted:

Uninstall your nvidia drivers and do a complete registry wipe of it (the drivers, not your registry). Re-install using the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia. You may need to reinstall/repair directx after this. If it still doesn't work, do a clean install of win7. If you don't want to bother with the drivers, just skip to reinstalling windows.

Thanks much, I'll give this a shot when I get home. Another friend has also suggested checking disk logs for errors, but that seems less likely since the game runs, just not through Steam.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

Oh god that one is a royal pain in the rear end if you're decked head to toe in E-tech weaponry, like I am on my Axton. Nothing can knock off his hat, and then he makes quick work of me.
My turrets pick me up real fast, but it's still annoying.
I would carry a regular sniper rifle just for Goliaths. Popping off their helmets is really one of my favorite details about the game.

That screenshot, the guy is wielding two legendary launchers that start at something like 300k damage. I wish enemies dropped their guns on death, i miss that from BL1.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 3, 2012

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Apparently there's a site called Play-SC.com that's selling BL2 keys for $20p and my friend is thinking about buying one. I know gently caress-all about key sellers, so unless I hear otherwise from goons, I just assume that they're all shady as gently caress. Anyone bought from these guys and/or know if they're legit, or should I stick with my gut and not mess with them?

Edit: VVV Thanks. That's kind of the vibe I was getting from them. Also didn't realize they were an international key-seller, so hope this didn't break the rules.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 3, 2012

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Hellburger99 posted:

Apparently there's a site called Play-SC.com that's selling BL2 keys for $20p and my friend is thinking about buying one. I know gently caress-all about key sellers, so unless I hear otherwise from goons, I just assume that they're all shady as gently caress. Anyone bought from these guys and/or know if they're legit, or should I stick with my gut and not mess with them?

After Googling around a bit, they sound like a grey-market Russian key reseller. Avoid them. People have lost Steam accounts from that kind of poo poo.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kaubocks posted:

However, we may have been fighting these bosses the wrong way or something but... we found Piston's Zeppelin and Badassasaurus to be unnecessarily lovely boss fights. Is there an Actual Method for fighting those or is it seriously just "throw yourselves at them until they die"?
My actual method for both of them was stand in the entranceway of the area and pump bullets into them while being completely invulnerable from incoming rounds. v:shobon:v

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Poque posted:

I had this problem when the first DLC patch hit. Solved it by backing up my save files and deleting and redownloading the entire game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I just reached the point in the main storyline where you get Jack's voice and using Zer0 and I am loving rolling with laughter right now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Just a tip for you guys starting out: Acid shotguns are really effective against buzzards. The majority can't hit a dude from ten feet away for poo poo, but a giant vehicle? Unless they're so far they're almost a dot, a lot if not all of your spread will make contact, and shotguns are so stupid loving strong you can usually two-three shot them.

This is great to remember when you don't have an automatic acid weapon or a fast rocket launcher.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I just instinctively hit ggggg

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I would carry a regular sniper rifle just for Goliaths. Popping off their helmets is really one of my favorite details about the game.

That screenshot, the guy is wielding two legendary launchers that start at something like 300k damage. I wish enemies dropped their guns on death, i miss that from BL1.

I remember getting absolutely murdered in the section after the dam with the two turrets (on the way to Krom's canyon? I don't really remember.) There was a guy on the ground absolutely shredding me, over and over and over again. Finally killed him, he dropped...a Hellfire. Felt pretty okay after that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I wish enemies dropped their guns on death, i miss that from BL1.

Yeah that seriously annoys me. I haven't seen an orange drop in literally a hundred hours of playing. But I've seen numerous enemies loving using them against me. Then I kill them and they drop a white smig.

Same goes for cool E-Tech guns that hit me for like 14k at level 40 and poo poo like that. The only E-Tech I find are Darts.

Unrelated: Does anyone like Hero's Pass? What a hell hole. I can't stand to run back to the Warrior because it's such a pain in the rear end.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2012

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If you're just trying to farm the Warrior (or Bunker for that matter) simply save & quit and then reload. You'll respawn beside the shops and can fight the boss again without strolling through the previous area first.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

RyokoTK posted:

Unrelated: Does anyone like Hero's Pass? What a hell hole. I can't stand to run back to the Warrior because it's such a pain in the rear end.

I do, actually, or at least I did on first playthrough mode. Haven't done it as often on TVHM yet, so maybe I'll change my tune.

Fake Edit: ^^^^ Gotta remember that, thanks!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fina posted:

If you're just trying to farm the Warrior (or Bunker for that matter) simply save & quit and then reload. You'll respawn beside the shops and can fight the boss again without strolling through the previous area first.

Oh, I know that, but on my most recent character I accidentally hit the TVHM button when it was first prompted and lost my checkpoint. :(

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Does the sanctuary chest no longer have etech weapons?

edit: i guess they do, its just way less frequent

Tyree fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2012

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Epic High Five posted:

I just instinctively hit ggggg

One of the reasons I always carry a sniper rifle is so I can knock the helmets off those guys before they can start shooting.

EDIT: Looks like others do, too. And I didn't even quote the right post, either. But still!

For more content, if you like toying with Goliaths, go to the Eridium Blight. The bandit camps to the west seem to spawn them like crazy and I've gotten 5-way goliath duels on more than one occasion.

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 4, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah I often forget Goliaths are plenty of a threat with the helmet on. Even the normal ones deal shitloads of damage.

I just wish the goliath AI weren't so horrible. They'll be at Ultimate and suddenly go passive and not react to anything around them, just walk around until they're killed. They will also frequently leap to their deaths.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah I often forget Goliaths are plenty of a threat with the helmet on. Even the normal ones deal shitloads of damage.

I just wish the goliath AI weren't so horrible. They'll be at Ultimate and suddenly go passive and not react to anything around them, just walk around until they're killed. They will also frequently leap to their deaths.

Sometimes if one jumps at me when I'm on an inclined surface, it'll glitch through the ground and become invisible/untargetable. Kinda funny hearing their insane rantings coming from the ground like some kind of poltergeist, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I somehow still haven't been downed doing the challenge, so I'm wondering if I maybe need some sort of additional restriction to keep me from getting overleveled, since that's probably making it easier than it should be. If I kept myself from doing any sidequests at all I would probably end up comparatively underleveled, so I need to find something in between to balance it out. Pretty soon the game will be expecting me to use blues and purples though, so maybe it will change.

Anyway, this Torgue assault rifle is getting pretty outdated. I screwed with some SweetFX settings to lower the saturation by a lot because I'm getting sick of looking at all this color, but I couldn't lower it by much more than this before the menus started to become kinda unreadable. Maybe later.

Oh hell yes. The addition of snipers to the drops is a massive benefit and immediately makes things far easier.

It pretty much obliterates everything.

What's your name, sexy?

I don't have a vehicle skin more boring than this one, but it's good enough.

Super grenade!

Until enemy get really close to me, snipers are pretty much all I'm using now. I bought a good-looking Dahl one from a vending machine before realizing it had a five-shot burst, which was really grinding through my pathetic ammo reserves, so I had to go back to the Vladof.

I won't be able to get any more SDUs after these, but I guess they'll help a little.

I'm really not sure why I'm still carrying this thing around since I can't use it. It's sort of a permanent reminder to always remain loyal to my higher principles. I put it in the stash for now, and will stare at it hatefully anytime I become tempted to use not-terrible weapons in the future.

Finally! Vending machines hardly ever have good class mods so I can tell I'll be getting a lot of use out of them.

I can't take this quest because it will eventually require me to use an E-tech gun to progress, and that won't happen on my watch.

I see this for sale right after the other mod and go for it. While I never use Technophile mods under normal circumstances due to their disappointing skills and the fact that their shield buffs are additive rather than multiplicative, that very fact is a good reason to use them now. An additive shield increase is just what I need to help with my mediocre capacity right now. Plus, the Technophile box is cute.

That is not refuse, Hammerlock.

The car is pretty great in situations like this. Its guns know no rarity scale.

Oh come on I've never even seen a purple item this early in the game bef-

goddammit

Hilariously lucky anarchy-fueled crits from the Vladof sniper is pretty much how I get through Southpaw Steam & Power.

Current skills.

Frostburn Canyon is extremely disappointing. I don't find a single item worth using.

It also goes out of its way to make fun of me.

I have to be careful not to go down here since Lilith is really good at "helping" you by stealing your FFYL kills. She's like Deathtrap in public games. You know, the one that always follows you around when you go down, starts restoring the shields of the enemy you're shooting, then comes back and kills it just before you do.

Finally, a Vladof assault rifle! I love these things.

Money, surprisingly, has a lot of uses for this challenge. Vending machines offer a lot of white equipment and I have to keep buying small upgrades to stay competitive. It's how my Technophile mod now offers an impressively ineffectual +40 shield capacity!

This shield costs me my last penny.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I just wish the goliath AI weren't so horrible.

The game's AI seems pretty terrible in general. Enemies will happily attack through solid walls, most obvious with adult varkids. Bandits sometimes get stuck in loops, jumping in and out of cover.
And Deathtrap. I really hope Gearbox will fix that thing someday.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I got my copy for like $25 from a russian site. It worked no problem, and also for a friend. A second friend bought it, and he had to vpn to a russian server to get the game downloaded but it works fine now.

Also a question: If someone had a bee before the 1.2.0 update, does it get nerfed, or is it only new bees that drop?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Also a question: If someone had a bee before the 1.2.0 update, does it get nerfed, or is it only new bees that drop?

The individual components that make the item up were nerfed, so it's all of them.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Borderlands is so subtle when it comes to foreshadowing :allears:

-Story spoilers-
http://i.imgur.com/lteEb.jpg
Taken in Roland's cell.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lima posted:

Borderlands is so subtle when it comes to foreshadowing :allears:

I like the game's plot but holy poo poo it made me angry when it took control away from you so Jack could monologue, shoot Roland and then capture Lilith.

It's like, loving hell game, one thing - one thing - you make me repeat for the last thirty hours of gameplay and you even take that away so my character just stares like a moron for fifteen seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I like the game's plot but holy poo poo it made me angry when it took control away from you so Jack could monologue, shoot Roland and then capture Lilith.

It's like, loving hell game, one thing - one thing - you make me repeat for the last thirty hours of gameplay and you even take that away so my character just stares like a moron for fifteen seconds.
Because it's a bait-and-switch. You think that the game will be over, that this is one of the last cutscenes, and then "Sup?"
It might have been the end right there. The whole Thousand Cuts climb, especially that Badass Constructor at the top took me way to many tries for a mid-game fight.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah that seriously annoys me. I haven't seen an orange drop in literally a hundred hours of playing. But I've seen numerous enemies loving using them against me. Then I kill them and they drop a white smig.

Same goes for cool E-Tech guns that hit me for like 14k at level 40 and poo poo like that. The only E-Tech I find are Darts.

Hero's Pass has one of the best songs in the game imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQ2hPxLKgU The area itself isn't so bad, I like a lot of the little touches there, like pottys for Hyperion personel and that bigass dropship with the Badass Constructor at the end.

• Locked thread