Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Voodoofly posted:

I've found the secret to happiness is trying to never think about Shane MacGowan's life in any fashion.

The documentary about him is good, depressing, but good. It has a great line from Nick Cave where he says something along the line of "I realized that I needed to stop doing drugs or I would destroy my life, Shane never realized that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This romantic comedy within the Blah Airlines thing is pretty amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Apparently The Interview is coming out on Christmas, I'm trying to calculate how hard it will be to convince my parents that should be our Christmas movie. Hopefully they'll see the new Hobbit before I go home.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

axleblaze posted:

"I can't think of anything more perfect, other than a croissant."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MisterBibs posted:

Trip report: Donnie Darko: the Director's Cut would be pretty decent modification to the film if the dude who made it didn't decide to add science-fictiony stuff in a few places. The film works better when it's more fantastical.

Unrelated slice of life: why must the meat I love the most (turkey) be the most likely to get stuck between my teeth? Pretty sure I've got it all out, but I ripped the poo poo out of my gums in the process.

That's the turkey's way of getting you to not eat it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

The documentary about him is good, depressing, but good. It has a great line from Nick Cave where he says something along the line of "I realized that I needed to stop doing drugs or I would destroy my life, Shane never realized that."

Cave was only recently clean at the time, too -- that's the thing that gets me. His sober soul was basically a newborn and he basically said that Shane scared him into sobriety.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Even in the States,
Canadian Tuxedos
Are timelessly cool.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The chubby extra
Playing Mark David Chapman
Enjoys two puddings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Even in the States,
Canadian Tuxedos
Are timelessly cool.

No.

The chubby extra
Playing Mark David Chapman
Enjoys two puddings.

Did you lose a bet?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

Did you lose a bet?

The one with myself:
That I'd not be an extra
By this point in time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Kill List tonight. It was pretty rad when it was just two hitman bros offing people together, but I didn't dig the supernatural stuff, which felt really out of place in a movie like this, and then it went and ended like A Serbian Film and all I could do was laugh and laugh and struggle to form words about that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The one with myself:
That I'd not be an extra
By this point in time

I missed your first post about this. FYI Catcher in the Rye is five syllables.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axleblaze posted:

Don't pigeonhole me!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Body Care and Grooming is surprisingly creepy when you take off the soundtrack and replace with Bach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZtROkj210

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
11:30,
I am eating lunch alone,
Thank you, smelly beard.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 3, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

11:30,
I'm eating lunch alone.
Thanks, smelly beard.

"Thanks, smelly beard" is only 4 syllables.
edit "I'm eating lunch alone" is only 6 too. Stop using contractions.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There isn't a "woosh" loud enough to describe how over his head the point of "death of the author" flew.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This rules.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Sometimes I get disillusioned with the idea that a film can actually be, in any way, "good" or "bad" and maybe they just kind of are what they are and whether or not you respond to it is all that matters. There is no objective good.

And then my friend suckers me into watching God's Not Dead and I realize, no, there really are just terrible movies, and this is one of them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

YTOTD: Little Dieter Needs to Fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gI_8voezDA

Herzog's best documentary. Maybe his best movie, period. Breathtaking, heartbreaking movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Re: Solo Beatles, Double Fantasy and Milk And Honey are both totally excellent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

DetoxP posted:

Sometimes I get disillusioned with the idea that a film can actually be, in any way, "good" or "bad" and maybe they just kind of are what they are and whether or not you respond to it is all that matters. There is no objective good.

And then my friend suckers me into watching God's Not Dead and I realize, no, there really are just terrible movies, and this is one of them.

I initially read this as Only God Forgives and I was all like whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

"Thanks, smelly beard" is only 4 syllables.
edit "I'm eating lunch alone" is only 6 too. Stop using contractions.

Yeah pretend it's "I am eating lunch alone / Thank you, smelly beard."

I don't think I'm cut out for this haiku thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Beyond sane knolls is
not very good at haikus.
gently caress that guy. gently caress him.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

Keep in mind that Paul McCartney is responsible for a Christmas song that's so bad it makes the rest of Christmas music sound almost listenable.

(10:55:39 PM) friend: "Keep in mind that Paul McCartney is responsible for a Christmas song that's so bad it makes the rest of Christmas music sound almost listenable."
(10:55:45 PM) friend: never should have opened that thread
(10:55:57 PM) me: I thought everybody hated that song, what's your problem
(10:56:11 PM) friend: my problem is that that loving song is in my head now

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This man's name is "Rutledge Daugette".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I can't ever listen to Lennon's post-Beatles stuff objectively because I associate it too heavily with my father. I'm forever ambivalent.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Setting aside which of the Beatles was best, let us discuss the more important issue, namely:

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Waffle Crisp is just okay :negative:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Waffle Crisp is just okay :negative:

Never forget this lesson

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Criminal Minded posted:

Setting aside which of the Beatles was best, let us discuss the more important issue, namely:

Oh jesus no the Rolling Stones are like 80% garbage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To give you some credit, I'm a waiter and I'm now trying to figure out how to tell all my tables the specials in haiku.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

no poo poo

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I initially read this as Only God Forgives and I was all like whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Unlike God's Not Dead, Only God Forgives owns.

God's Not Dead has Asian characters too, but it's this accented college Chinese kid who at orientation is irritated that someone doesn't know what PRC stands for ("Sorry, PRC?" "PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA!"). He is so enthralled by the main character's pro-God presentations that he calls his Chinese Business Dad, who's always in the backseat of a limo, who says poo poo like "There is no time for God! Only business!" or something and in the end he tells the main character with a heavy chinese accent "I follow Jesus now!" and then they go to a Christian rock concert.

This is easily not even close to being one of the worst parts of the film. Holy fuckin' moly.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

The Who > The Beatles > The Rolling Stones

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

DetoxP posted:

Unlike God's Not Dead, Only God Forgives owns.

God's Not Dead has Asian characters too, but it's this accented college Chinese kid who at orientation is irritated that someone doesn't know what PRC stands for ("Sorry, PRC?" "PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA!"). He is so enthralled by the main character's pro-God presentations that he calls his Chinese Business Dad, who's always in the backseat of a limo, who says poo poo like "There is no time for God! Only business!" or something and in the end he tells the main character with a heavy chinese accent "I follow Jesus now!" and then they go to a Christian rock concert.

This is easily not even close to being one of the worst parts of the film. Holy fuckin' moly.

American Christians sure do get off on converting savage foreigners huh

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Criminal Minded posted:

Did The Beatles play at Altamont?

I rest my case.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Beyond sane knolls is
not very good at haikus.
gently caress that guy. gently caress him.

There once was a poster named Pseudonym,
Whose poetry skills really suited him,
Which of course is to say,
That they're bad; go away.
I sure wouldn't want to be glued on him.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh jesus no the Rolling Stones are like 80% garbage.

More like 50%, but more importantly, let's not pretend as if anybody cares about that 50%. It's a bogus way to frame the issue, because nobody is listening to post-1980 Rolling Stones. If they had broken up after Some Girls, they wouldn't be any better or worse of a band.

• Locked thread