Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
No this isn't E/N damnit.

I spent 15 minutes freaking out that my (notoriously prone to AF failures) Canon 50 1.4 had spontaneously died.

Then I realized there's an AF/MF switch on. Then I dropped it on the floor. Again.

Still works great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I realized yesterday that reason my nikon FE's film back wouldn't open wasn't because it broke, but rather because there was a "safety lever" as the manual put it.

To keep it from opening.

e. Also the safety lever seems to be broken now. A vast improvement!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

I like how everything has bids on it.. except the Pentax stuff.

:downsrim:

Oh wait some of the olympus stuff is bid free too.

Ouch. One of the MEs went for $4.02.

I should have snyped it. :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

I should have snyped it. :argh:

Yeah :( The MEs were all pretty cheap. And the Olympus PC with 50mm lens went for like $20 or something. OH WELL.

At least the bag of old rear end film went for $50.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

fivre posted:

No this isn't E/N damnit.

I spent 15 minutes freaking out that my (notoriously prone to AF failures) Canon 50 1.4 had spontaneously died.

Then I realized there's an AF/MF switch on. Then I dropped it on the floor. Again.

Still works great!

The 50/1.4 was the first "nice" lens I ever bought and it failed less than a year into owning it. Once out of warranty I said gently caress it and decided to take it apart to see if I could fix it myself. As rumored, it is an issue of the extended front element being bumped, as the thin metal tracks deform and have to be bent back into shape. I lost track of how many times I've fixed mine, but at this point I can field-strip, fix, and rebuild mine in ten minutes. However, since getting a lens hood and keeping it on at all times (even in the bag), I haven't had an issue. So get yourself a lens hood. The official Canon one is around $25 and has a nice felt lining, or you can get a cheap one for $5.

Platystemon posted:

There goes my retirement plan. At least I have my beanie babies.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

There goes my retirement plan. At least I have my beanie babies.

This is why I sold all my excess ME Supers.

Gotta know the market :smug:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

This is why I sold all my excess ME Supers.

Gotta know the market :smug:

Wrong, none of one's ME Supers are excess.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Wrong, none of one's ME Supers are excess.

I use one as a container for all of my baby teeth.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A (non-goon) friend of mine has been accreting nice FD primes, and is looking to sell some. Aside from FredMiranda, any other good sites you guys can think of he could look to list it on? Maybe a videography community?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A (non-goon) friend of mine has been accreting nice FD primes, and is looking to sell some. Aside from FredMiranda, any other good sites you guys can think of he could look to list it on? Maybe a videography community?

I'd try posting them on Reduser and DVXuser. They're not quite as sought after as manual Nikkors, but do have some fans amongst budget-minded cinematographers.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Good news everyone! :pseudo:

I dropped my brand new instax at the bar the other night and the front of the lens flew off, but it appears to still work just fine, albeit without anything protecting the entire front assembly when closed.

e: Also I either lost the reserve sheets from my fannypack or gave away a lot more prints than I expected to (yes I have to wear a fannypack to use this thing).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Go buy your self respect back with a little Domke bag or something. The Instax looks really odd without all the moulded plastic on the front.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I kinda wanna see that fannypack.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

uggghhh I hate people that are gluten free without having Celiac disease or being gluten intolerant. It's huge in the autism community but there's literally no scientific evidence for it and the parents who do it to their kids and swear that it makes a difference without an actual diagnosis just drive me up a goddamn wall. Stop making your child eat rice flour cookies. It doesn't affect their behavior at all. You just don't understand reinforcement and behavioral functions

my wife keeps trying to buy gluten free things because she thinks theyre healthier and its infuriating

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

I kinda wanna see that fannypack.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Nice fannypack grandma.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey posted:

Nice fannypack grandma.

Thanks, I got it from my dad.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Rather, I asked him for it and in exchange had to take back a lifetime of fannypack jokes at his expense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You should wear sweat pants and hang the fanny pack inside them.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The fannypack or bumbag as we call it :australia: is the sign you're probably a drug dealer down here, and that you're button up track pants (Ricky style) can't handle your wallet/mobile/pills/etc.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Brand new instax
Don't you love your instax? I love my instax.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Of course Reichstag wears a fannypack.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Hard Swag brutha. Keep rockin, the dream is alive.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Took XE1 out to a party thinger. Results: Stayed in my bag, i was there to party not take photos.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
So hey, the Russians put a lander on Mars in '71 and Curiosity may have taken pictures of it. This is significant because the Russian government doesn't acknowledge the mission.

Anyway, the most important thing I learned from the forum that poured over all of the high resolution orbital photos to find a tiny as probe in the middle of a giant rear end planet is that 'What the Duck' is also translated in to Russian.

Makes me wonder if their photography forum is also full of the Russian Pentax ME Super and Wootrovitch's sharting adventures.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

squidflakes posted:

Makes me wonder if their photography forum is also full of the Russian Pentax ME Super and Wootrovitch's sharting adventures.

Pentax ME Super nothing, it's all about the superior Zenit AM (in Pentax K mount!).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A fuckin' lens called Helios? That owns.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
The new Beta Lightroom 5 is available for download, if anyone cares: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PushingKingston posted:

The new Beta Lightroom 5 is available for download, if anyone cares: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5/

What cool stuff does it do?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

What cool stuff does it do?

If you click the link it's got a list of new features. :)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

FEDKA cameras also had Jupiter and Orion glass available. There was a goon that had a whole bunch of Russian copies of Leica and Hasselblad cameras for sale.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

DJExile posted:

I've got a Helios 44M-2 (58mm f/2) in M42 mount. It came with an earlier Zenit of some kind attached, maybe a Zenit B? Haven't really used the camera but I sometimes put the lens on my 50D with a converter and it's quite nice.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Mr. Despair posted:

If you click the link it's got a list of new features. :)

I installed and gave it a quick trial.

- the new healing brush (lite) is a hundred times better than the old retarded spotting brush which forced you to use twelve circles to clone out a hair. It's still not as good as PS's spot heal brush, but it's good enough to do 80% of what you want. Worth the upgrade just for this, imo.

- the one click perspective tools are surprisingly effective, and the auto horizon detect works well. Nice to have, but you could live without them (if you have PS... the old way in LR was pretty clunky)

- The radial gradent is a sensible upgrade. Does what it says.

I don't do video, don't use it for books and haven't put it on my laptop so no comment on the other improvements. That said, the idea of being able to just sync metadata and edit without the full raw is kind of cool, if implemented well... combine it with Creative Cloud so you can remote browse your library and edit at will and it would be a killer feature.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

joelcamefalling posted:

That said, the idea of being able to just sync metadata and edit without the full raw is kind of cool, if implemented well... combine it with Creative Cloud so you can remote browse your library and edit at will and it would be a killer feature.

Woah, I've been looking for a way to do that. I got a pretty nice slate tablet real cheap, I can stuff enough memory in there but it's got a ultra-low-power CPU that I don't think will stand up to doing onboard editing. I was thinking of trying remote desktop or something but didn't have any particularly great ideas. I'll have to give it a try.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

joelcamefalling posted:

- the new healing brush (lite) is a hundred times better than the old retarded spotting brush which forced you to use twelve circles to clone out a hair. It's still not as good as PS's spot heal brush, but it's good enough to do 80% of what you want. Worth the upgrade just for this, imo.

THANK THE GODS.

The old spotting brush is the worst thing about LR.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

joelcamefalling posted:

I don't do video, don't use it for books and haven't put it on my laptop so no comment on the other improvements. That said, the idea of being able to just sync metadata and edit without the full raw is kind of cool, if implemented well... combine it with Creative Cloud so you can remote browse your library and edit at will and it would be a killer feature.
This won't be a killer feature until they implement multi-user editing.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

multi-user editing.

Dude. Like two Wacom tablets and two keyboards hooked up to the same 30" display. Two retouchers enter, only one reigns supreme.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's like playing Contra or Battletoads or something but with photos.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Does that mean Lightroom 5.2 will be loving IMPOSSIBLE?

without Game Genie :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

QPZIL posted:

It's like Speed 2 but with a bus!