Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

reverse mount it and shoot macro

Yeah, check out the Low-Effort thread for microscopic shots of Mr. Despair's cum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately I am all out of gaffer's tape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately I am all out of gaffer's tape.

Rule 36.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

It's a great place to stock up on snacks before hitting Bong Recreation Area.

Indeed. I was just down that way Monday and grabbed some curds.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
so I was dating this girl for a long time, and then we broke up, but I'd already agreed to shoot her twin sister's graduation ceremony for her mom (she was paying me) so I was stuck sitting in this huge sports stadium with tens of thousands of people in the hot sun feeling ridiculously awkward so I set a napkin on fire with an unmounted, carefully angled 70-200 2.8.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

If you show me yours I'll show you mine?

I've been looking for some medium or lounge-height X base armshells so I have something the same height as my LCWs. I'm probably just going to end up finding the bases on ebay and finding the shells separately.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Is that an apostrophe in the word "knows?" It better not be an apostrophe.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Let me turn ur photos into something exciting

It's only :10bux: and my photos could use a little more excitement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FasterThanLight posted:

"Let me turn your photos into something exciting" *cuts hole in 8x10, tapes it to real doll*

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

Giant lens delivered today in preparation for race weekend in Austin.

There's literally nothing I can do with 400mm in my apartment and it's lovely and wet outside, and yet I'm using the drat thing anyways on my dumb cats.

I can't wait to use the thing for real.

Most of the time my 600mm F4 sits in its case and is used as a side table. Most expensive remote caddy ever.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FasterThanLight posted:

In the third picture, she turns the dogs' heads 90 degrees in photoshop. I think it's safe to say she's a master.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so that 18-35 sigma f1.8 anyone excited?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I cant decide between using a Nikon AIS 50mm f2 or a Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-D. My problems.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Excited that i have to buy 18 copies to test for the sharpest one? Sure. Im excited.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Musket posted:

I cant decide between using a Nikon AIS 50mm f2 or a Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-D. My problems.

Get a 50mm f/1.8 e series, the baller's choice of Nikon lenses.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

Excited that i have to buy 18 copies to test for the sharpest one? Sure. Im excited.

I'm excited for you and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KidDynamite posted:

yes.

until it comes out and costs $2000 and is soft as gently caress wide open.

on the other hand, I am hopeful enough that it won't that I'll put off buying the 35mm 1.4, even though it's inevitably a much better lens.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

fivre posted:

yes.

until it comes out and costs $2000 and is soft as gently caress wide open.

on the other hand, I am hopeful enough that it won't that I'll put off buying the 35mm 1.4, even though it's inevitably a much better lens.

Gonna be softer than your dick after a night of whiskey. Knowing sigma, you will have to stop down to 5.6 before you see great IQ.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

I'm excited for you and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Thank you.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

Gonna be softer than your dick after a night of whiskey. Knowing sigma, you will have to stop down to 5.6 before you see great IQ.

This isn't 2005. :rolleyes:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Musket posted:

softlens, every time.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

This isn't 2005. :rolleyes:

Yea its 2013, and Sigma still cant get their lenses right. They even include a device now to fix front/back focus issues because you cant trust chart shooters to fine-tune their D3200 (which doesnt let you adjust focus issues).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Yea its 2013, and Sigma still cant get their lenses right. They even include a device now to fix front/back focus issues because you cant trust chart shooters to fine-tune their D3200 (which doesnt let you adjust focus issues).

Yeah, screw them and their attempts to make a better product than canon or nikon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, screw them and their attempts to make a better product than canon or nikon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, screw them

ftfy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Musket posted:

The 35mm I rented was as good or better than Canon's and focused fine (given the absolute poo poo light conditions anyway). A $20 USB adjustment dock is great when half Canon's current lineup can't do AF micro-adjustment.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Sigma primes are not the joke that Sigma zoom lenses are.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Sigma primes are not the joke that Sigma zoom lenses are.[citation needed]

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Just because sigma lenses work great on your sigma camera doesnt mean those of us with real cameras get the same quality you do with your sigma on sigma action.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Just because sigma lenses work great on your sigma camera doesnt mean those of us with real cameras get the same quality you do with your sigma on sigma action.

Listen, you're comparing apples to Sigma Art Series lenses.

And there just is no comparison.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

And there just is no comparison.

That's true. Apples are pretty awesome.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hey, making GBS threads on Sigma lets people feel less bad about dropping $1400 on L glass or $800 on a joke IS update that are unilaterally inferior to a $900 third party lens.

Let them have their shame.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Hey, making GBS threads on Sigma lets people feel less bad about dropping $1400 on L glass or $800 on a joke IS update that are unilaterally inferior to a $900 third party lens.

Let them have their shame.

35L was $1300 with shipping :colbert:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I taped a magnifying glass to a cardboard box and used it for the lens of my large format camera I'm making. I used my DSLR on a two way macro rail for a back. It worked way better than I hoped it would.

2013-666 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TomR posted:

I taped a magnifying glass to a cardboard box and used it for the lens of my large format camera I'm making. I used my DSLR on a two way macro rail for a back. It worked way better than I hoped it would.

Get this man a job at Sigma.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is the thing I mounted the camera on:

2013-667 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

One half turn of the knob moves the sensor 15mm. It doesn't take very long to do the whole range. Now I just need to make a better mount as this one is a little springy.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Musket posted:

Sigma primes are not the joke that Sigma zoom lenses are.

Seems like somebody haven't tried the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

TomR posted:

This is the thing I mounted the camera on:

2013-667 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

One half turn of the knob moves the sensor 15mm. It doesn't take very long to do the whole range. Now I just need to make a better mount as this one is a little springy.

What is that thing and where can I get one for cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Primo Itch posted:

What is that thing and where can I get one for cheap?

It’s either this or this (which might even be the same thing). It can also be found on eBay for like $30 (search “4 way macro rail”).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 19, 2013