Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

Schwarzenegger is really, really good in that movie.

Yeah, as a whole it wasn't a great movie but watching Arnold Schwarzenegger transition from "action hero" to "character actor" before your eyes is pretty great.

And Jesus/Mister Reese as the creepy warden was a lot of fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Spatula City posted:

why the gently caress is Emma Stone not getting age-appropriate love interests?

I think she was not badly matched with Josh Groban and Ryan Gosling in crazy stupid love. I am not sure on those guys ages though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're both between 30 and 35, which seems perfectly healthy for a 25 year-old to hook up with.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, Ryan Gosling's not TOO much older than Stone. And it's part persona in addition to age. Gosling still seems "young".
In terms of charismatic younger leading men, Miles Teller, Dane DeHaan, Josh Hutcherson, Anton Yelchin, Dave Franco, Logan Lerman, Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Bell, Nicholas Hoult, Garrett Hedlund.
also, although he's 8 years older, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emma Stone should be in a romantic comedy together.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Now I'm embarrassed I didn't mention Michael B. Jordan. That guy has been excellent since he was 15.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just saw Expendables 3 and it wasn't too bad. Certainly an action movie. Banderas was the best part of the whole thing as far as I'm concerned. The way he's so desperate to join the team is pretty entertaining.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bulging Nipples posted:

It's really weird with Statham's character because apparently he's "the knife guy", but EVERYONE is apparently "the knife guy". Stallone, Lundgren, Rourke and now Snipes in the new one. The hell is the point of Statham's character then? The "little throwing knife guy" as opposed to Lundgren's "giant knife guy"?
Maybe it's because the first movie I saw him in was The Transporter, but I always figured he might as well be "the car/transport/criminal connections guy". Being a former criminal using his talents for good seems to fit pretty well with his filmography, and his general demeanor/accent/fighting style. It does speak to a bigger problem of having that many people in the movie, how exactly do you make them distinct? Maybe if they had lived up to the name of the movie like other people have suggested, then the sequels could have new "knife guys" replace the guy who died/was taken out of action in the last one, instead of having them all in the same movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I honestly haven't seen any of the Expendables movies. But given what I saw of that clip from Expendables 2, would having a huge cast have worked better if it had split the cast up into two completely separate teams of mercs forced to work together? You then maybe have a way to better excuse a lot of generic or redundant roles with some inter-team pissing contests and rivalries.

Just a stupid example: Maybe you get one mostly UK/US-centric team with your Stallone, your Willis, your Crews, your Statham, etc. Then maybe a rival, more international, firm that has your Arnold, your Li, your Lundgren, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last really good Stallone movie was Rambo (2008). Expendables 2 kind of owned at times but that had nothing to do with Stallone.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

I honestly haven't seen any of the Expendables movies. But given what I saw of that clip from Expendables 2, would having a huge cast have worked better if it had split the cast up into two completely separate teams of mercs forced to work together? You then maybe have a way to better excuse a lot of generic or redundant roles with some inter-team pissing contests and rivalries.

Just a stupid example: Maybe you get one mostly UK/US-centric team with your Stallone, your Willis, your Crews, your Statham, etc. Then maybe a rival, more international, firm that has your Arnold, your Li, your Lundgren, etc.

In Expendables 1, the solution is to have the whole team amount to roughly one character. Since the action sucks, the bulk of the film is a fever-dream of baffling homoerotic monologue. Mickey Rourke goes on about tattooing a 'sexy' pregnant spider on Statham's 'perfectly shaped, muscular head', while Statham threatens to empty a rival's balls, etc.

This largely distracts from the fact that the team is fighting to obtain 5 million dollars by covering up CIA involvement in a South American puppet dictatorship/narcotics ring. No twist. They just do that, and then celebrate. It honestly only works as parody.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

First Bass posted:

His voice is so gravelly, I don't think they even try to make him do an American accent in movies where he's supposed to be an American.
You should watch The One. Statham's accent in that is hands-down the funniest part of that movie.

Cacator posted:

He had to drop out of the second movie (both figureatively and literally in the movie itself) which explains why he wasn't in it much, although they gave him the line "You will find another minority" which I thought was cute.
Yeah, Jet's "Don't worry, you will find another minority" was basically the only one-liner in that whole film that worked.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Also isn't Jet Li's career fairly stable in China?
In a manner of speaking. He's all but retired these days. He's already sworn off doing any more period kung-fu pieces, which is like 99% of his work. (Well, he says he's done with them, but he did do Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, so gently caress knows actually.) He shows up in the occasional drama or, more recently, a cop movie, but I think he's reached the Glover Point and he knows it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cameron announced Avatar 2, 3, and 4 for 2016, 2017, and 2018.

It's been so long since the first one is anyone really invested in that world anymore? My other question would be, how the hell is he going to make the Avatar movies that fast? James Cameron had never been known for pumping out films at a lightning pace.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think he's filming all of them at the same time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is why Game of Thrones is one of the lowest-rated shows on cable, poor HBO didn't sue enough housewives and now thanks to piracy nobody watches them anymore :saddowns:

They sued the high school my wife went to over a student torrenting Game of Thrones. Dudes are ruthless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I think he's filming all of them at the same time.

Is he actually filming them yet because this seems like it has been a case where he's talked them up quite a bit but no progress has been made.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's WETA just going to be completely unavailable to take on other work during this time frame? Cause it seems like three Avatar films simultaneously in such a short time frame would just take every last one of them.

Filming STARTS in 2015. For reference this is also the time frame for which Power Rangers will be filmed and released.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

greatn posted:

Cameron announced Avatar 2, 3, and 4 for 2016, 2017, and 2018.

It's been so long since the first one is anyone really invested in that world anymore? My other question would be, how the hell is he going to make the Avatar movies that fast? James Cameron had never been known for pumping out films at a lightning pace.

Realistically, he is going to take a break when Avatar 2 fails to get 1bn worldwide and go on another deep sea adventure.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The last really good Stallone movie was Rambo (2008). Expendables 2 kind of owned at times but that had nothing to do with Stallone.

I wonder how much of First Blood Part III: Rambo IV was due to him just trying to make a good movie as opposed to trying to catch the exact same bolt of lightning as the first three. As a storyteller, obviously Stallone's sensibilities will change over time as he grows and changes, so he told a story about John Rambo along his modern lines. This is, incidentally, why I think he was a bad choice to write and direct Expendables with the goal of "tribute to 80's action flicks" in mind. He's way too close to the material he's trying to recreate, and just isn't capable (I think) of seeing the forest for the trees.

Then there's the tone issue of the side-Expendables having joke names like Hale Caesar and Toll Road, while Stallone plays a dude named Barney Ross. If there's a joke hidden in that name, I don't see it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

greatn posted:

It's been so long since the first one is anyone really invested in that world anymore?
Even as a franchise it died in the arse pretty quickly. It worked as a massive spectacle of 3D 2.0, which then ended up sucking most of the oxygen out of the room for the 3D market where it got to the point that 2D screenings became limited to try and pick up on the flagging 3D market.

I'd be surprised if it remotely hits 2bn again - there's a chance that given we've got the crummy "saves the natives" story out the way there might be a reasonable story that keeps people coming back.

It is lining up for a "Avatar Land" thing at Disney so I suspect there's going to be quite an effort to get some sort of franchise rolling. Not that it doesn't have it fans, but they end up slotted under "weird cult underdog" and do stuff like tattoo their body to look like the Navi.

But also I wonder if there could be a franchise overload as it's competing with Marvel and Star Wars/Trek releases around the same time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd say part of the reason it left public consciousness so quickly is that there wasn't really anything else other than the movie itself. There was a tie-in videogame that was kind of lovely so it didn't sell very well but that was about it for cross media stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

the tone issue of the side-Expendables having joke names like Hale Caesar and Toll Road, while Stallone plays a dude named Barney Ross. If there's a joke hidden in that name, I don't see it.

Barney Ross was an old-time Jewish boxer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If Cameron puts more amazing visuals back on the big screen again I'd say there's a good enough chance for the next movie to hit $1 billion. It's not that impossibly hard to do internationally.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

I'd say part of the reason it left public consciousness so quickly is that there wasn't really anything else other than the movie itself. There was a tie-in videogame that was kind of lovely so it didn't sell very well but that was about it for cross media stuff.

That and its theatrical release was ~160 minutes long. It's not really a film you can binge like Lord of the Rings even if it is self contained.

With a big marketing push I could see Avatar 2 more or less pay for the cost of development though. That's what happened with the first Hobbit film (minus marketing, maybe) and really the major reason for the Hobbit's success was a bunch of films released a decade prior.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Goddamit James Cameron, give us the Gunnm movie we really want! :argh:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Didn't screeners of American Gangster and Lone Survivor leak online weeks before release? Those two still did very well.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Slasherfan posted:

Didn't screeners of American Gangster and Lone Survivor leak online weeks before release? Those two still did very well.

What do you expect them to say, "We realize we don't make these films as good as they should be, sorry about that"?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jack Gladney posted:

A plucky band of individuals mingle their labor with guns and bombs to defeat the evil empire, whose violence against their persons comes in the form of consumer protections, a minimum wage, and compulsory education.

Actually, I think that's the plot of that libertarian movie with Hercules and Jake Busey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ8vn45Cds

This has not one but two actors from Voyager in it. It looks like a student film.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Goddamit James Cameron, give us the Gunnm movie we really want! :argh:

Cameron is secretly making Gunnm instead of Avatar 2 under a code name.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

This has not one but two actors from Voyager in it. It looks like a student film.

The Writer/Director/etc behind this has some sort of professional ties to Nichelle Nichols which is where the Star Trek connection comes from, I think.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cool, we're having another round of "I can't believe they are making sequels to the movie that made the most money ever!" from noted failed director James Cameron.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Writer/Director/etc behind this has some sort of professional ties to Nichelle Nichols which is where the Star Trek connection comes from, I think.

I hope to god it's just in the capacity that she's friendly and he just seems like a nice young man who needed some help making a movie and not that she's into nutso apocalyptic libertarian stuff.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

20,000 Leagues reboot planning to film in Australia for 2015 release. They're getting $21.6 million, but Disney wants more money from Australia. Things like this is why it's often less expensive to make a $200 million film than a $20 million film. Don't believe the studio hype about studios losing $150 million on films, they probably were already even on tax breaks and product placement alone.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-eyes-early-2015-20000-725985

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cool, we're having another round of "I can't believe they are making sequels to the movie that made the most money ever!" from noted failed director James Cameron.

No, you don't understand. He should make a live action early 90s Anime instead because that's where the REAL money is and has always proven to be. People don't want a sequel to a movie they liked, they want a remake of a thing they've never heard of. What is Cameron thinking??? :argh::psyduck::supaburn::sotw::negative:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tars Tarkas posted:

20,000 Leagues reboot planning to film in Australia for 2015 release. They're getting $21.6 million, but Disney wants more money from Australia. Things like this is why it's often less expensive to make a $200 million film than a $20 million film. Don't believe the studio hype about studios losing $150 million on films, they probably were already even on tax breaks and product placement alone.

Does this still have Fincher attached?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

That movie is like the Duke Nukem Forever of movies. Everyone from Fincher to Will Smith has tried to make it and failed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, I thought Expendables 3 was pretty good, though I thought 2 and 3 were both good. Stallone is not the reason to see either, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think it's fair to wonder why he took a movie whose standout feature was the use of 3D and decided to wait almost a decade and long after the 3D craze has cooled off before making a sequel. If it has anything to do with all the underwater poo poo he's been doing lately I'll watch the hell out of it, though.

I'm not sure who the audience for Gunnm / Battle Angel was back in the late 90s/early 2000s when I first heard those rumors though, and I have even less idea who's going to line up for a movie of it now.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

morestuff posted:

Does this still have Fincher attached?

He left earlier this year IIRC, I have no idea who is attached now (if anyone) because there are too many articles about previous versions clogging Google to find the current information. Not that no director and no stars have stopped studios from scheduling everything else before! There is also a rival version called Captain Nemo that's coming through Sony.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'd say that I'm more surprised they're going all-in on three sequels at the same time for yearly release. That seems like it's pretty high clusterfuck potential if Avatar 2 doesn't catch the same audience as the first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say that I'm more surprised they're going all-in on three sequels at the same time for yearly release. That seems like it's pretty high clusterfuck potential if Avatar 2 doesn't catch the same audience as the first.

IIRC they're also supposed to be filmed in 60FPS.

Actually it looks like Cameron is looking more at Variable Frame Rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

ImpAtom posted:

Assuming a budget of $200 million, Avatar 2 would have to get less than 7% of the audience of the original to not break even. Are you seriously arguing that's going to happen? Seriously?

• Locked thread