Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ThePutty posted:

Here's a couple of ideas I had, they're pretty basic.

Republican France

Republican Italy

I figured since Russia is the big revolutionary nation in this timeline, other nations would follow the same pattern as Russia should they have their own democracy in place. I also did a quick (bad) mockup of an Italian monarchy flag with the EU3 flag, in the same style the real Kingdom of Italy had.

I did a pretty bad job of it though, so maybe somebody has a better idea/can make that look better.

For whatever reason, I can't see either of your flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Alright, here's my try (tries) at Democratic France. I see France in AzeriLP not being much like the modern version– more like Austria–Hungary in terms of all the different national identities.

It's a diagonal tricolor: the Fleur-de-lis northern France, the Cross of Toulouse southern France. The blue represents the old duchy of Valois, which would be a big national legend for Northern France, while the burgundy the old southern kingdom's influence (note that the blue's on top). The white between represents their shared christianity and an equal peace between them.

Here's a busier one, which adds the cross on the Valois coat of arms as well as the Fleur-de-lis in the middle, which is emblematic of all france. This makes the White band either represent Anjou or Brittany or the rest of the country, I dunno.

and a third one, without the white midsection but a white border– ehh, I'm not too sure about this one. Which one looks good?

That's a pretty great idea - Burgundy is in a similar situation as Austria-Hungary (minus a mess of slavic sub-groups) and will eventually have to come to terms with the Burgundian/Occitan divide. I could definitely see Espanya and Britain deciding to prop up Occitan and Breton separatists states if matters come to a head. Azerbaijan has the same problem with Armenia, but with the added problem of a million other minority groups. Here's hoping maximum toleration leads to a United States of Asia!

Going back over the State of the World I was kind of surprised that all the major European states minus Italy ended up with Constitutional Monarchies in the end - I would have thought there would have been more reactionary governments from the decades of German revolution.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kainser posted:

The French revolution failed in real life but that didn't stop red white blue from becoming the colours of the revolution.

e; unless you meant that revolutionaries could draw inspiration from either the German or the Russian flag which makes sense.

Anyway, Tricolors are boring, use other flags if possible. :reject:

Yeah, what I was getting at was that red, white and blue aren't even colors of revolution in this world, and the new Russian colors would be the colors of the revolution since it not only was larger, but it succeeded, so tricolor flags should either be incorporating red, white and yellow, or some other colors of national importance.

Also, tricolors are boring :hf:

E: Speaking of the whole Burgundy-> France thing, what will happen if tolerant Azeri goes democratic? Aren't Azeri a minority as of the end of EU3? Would they turn into Armenia, or is there some larger group?

EE: Nope. Greeks make up the plurality of Azerbaijan. I'm thinking if Burgundy would have a problem calling itself Burgundy due to how few Burgundians there are, Azerbaijan will have the same problem.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 19, 2012

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DrProsek posted:

EE: Nope. Greeks make up the plurality of Azerbaijan. I'm thinking if Burgundy would have a problem calling itself Burgundy due to how few Burgundians there are, Azerbaijan will have the same problem.

To be fair so are those graphs just based on the amount of provinces which have that dominant religion/ethnicity. Minorities within provinces aren't represented. But yeah, that graph never gets old, Azerbaijan is hosed :allears:

e; and I think that 'proper Burgundians' are just frenchmen with a funny accent really, nothing on the level of Austria-Hungary or Azerbaijan.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Azerbaijan isn't hosed, we just need to go communist so everyone can enjoy class-based unity rather than that based on religion or language. After all, once everyone is an atheist and fights to distribute land amongst themselves they'll all be bros no matter what.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, what I was getting at was that red, white and blue aren't even colors of revolution in this world, and the new Russian colors would be the colors of the revolution since it not only was larger, but it succeeded, so tricolor flags should either be incorporating red, white and yellow, or some other colors of national importance.

Technically the true test of the Russian revolution will be against Azerbaijan, Iran, China and the Mughal Empire. Let's tolerate the hell out of those revolutionaries and give them ample housing within our catacombs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Kainser posted:

To be fair so are those graphs just based on the amount of provinces which have that dominant religion/ethnicity. Minorities within provinces aren't represented. But yeah, that graph never gets old, Azerbaijan is hosed :allears:

e; and I think that 'proper Burgundians' are just frenchmen with a funny accent really, nothing on the level of Austria-Hungary or Azerbaijan.

True, when converting Wiz could notice a lot of those Greek or Armenian provinces are sparsely populated and so Azeri people might be able to claw their way into second place, but still, looking at that graph alone, provinces with Greek and Armenian majorities outnumber Azeri pretty badly.

Also, weren't Burdundians eastern Germans? Sure, conquering France probably influenced their culture a bit, but really they're Germans with funny accents :pseudo:.

The Saurus posted:

Azerbaijan isn't hosed, we just need to go communist so everyone can enjoy class-based unity rather than that based on religion or language. After all, once everyone is an atheist and fights to distribute land amongst themselves they'll all be bros no matter what.

Problem is, the communism represented in Victoria 2 is Soviet Union communism, and at the first sight of weakness, the Greeks and Armenians will want out as quickly as the Azeri wanted out of the Soviet Union in real history. Anarcho-Liberals are more what you want.

ZearothK posted:

Technically the true test of the Russian revolution will be against Azerbaijan, Iran, China and the Mughal Empire. Let's tolerate the hell out of those revolutionaries and give them ample housing within our catacombs.

What good is their revolution if they can't take back all of their core lands. I say we march into Moskva, and show those confused Russians just how pointless this whole "revolution" nonsense is :hist101:.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

DrProsek posted:

E: Speaking of the whole Burgundy-> France thing, what will happen if tolerant Azeri goes democratic? Aren't Azeri a minority as of the end of EU3? Would they turn into Armenia, or is there some larger group?

A United States of Asia Minor a la the real-world United States of Greater Austria is probably the only way that doesn't end with an explosion of non-toleration.

It's certainly possible for big multi-ethnic states to survive and even thrive - look at India and Indonesia for example. But it certainly isn't going to happen with an Azeri minority ruling over the rest.

Comedy option - found the ideology of 'MAXTOL,' spread it to all corners of Eurasia. All will be tolerated in the eyes of MAXTOL :commissar:

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrProsek posted:

Obviously azeri has a unifying national spirit, namely tolerance.
We're good.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
IIRC we were about to invade Russia when EUIII ended. So we are going to add some russian minorities to that population graph as well.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^^ More like lose a bunch of Khazar and Georgian minorities and maybe some of our Azerbaijani population. :ohdear:

DrProsek posted:

Also, weren't Burdundians eastern Germans? Sure, conquering France probably influenced their culture a bit, but really they're Germans with funny accents :pseudo:.
The Burgundians were pretty much fully assimilated by the start of CK. Our 'Burgundians' probably have their quirks, their own identity and probably have a romantic view of the Burgundians but I'd say that they definitely would be considered a variety of Frenchmen.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 19, 2012

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

IIRC we were about to invade Russia when EUIII ended. So we are going to add some russian minorities to that population graph as well.

Luckily, the parts of Russia close to us are populated by our Tatar cousins, who would actually help our demographics.

EDIT, and to make the demographic chart slightly less awful, Wiz said that the Khazars and Turks would start out as secondary cultures in Vicky 2. Bringing our accepted culture population up to...a full quarter of our total! Yeah, we're screwed.

It also looks like the economic chart reinforced what I said to Rurik. We make wool, cloth, wine, and...small amounts of miscellaneous other things. Our economy pretty much has to be textile intensive.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 19, 2012

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kainser posted:

Technically, you could almost say the same for Parisian French during the Victoria period. As far as I'm aware, it was during this period that Parisian French was enforced on the rest of France, where people spoke all kinds of different dialects/languages. The Burgundians doing the same with their own dialect should be possible, at least in their core territories. The more recently conquered north might be able to resist it better than southern France did in real life though.

DrProsek posted:

Eastern Germanics. Current theory is that they came from the Danish island of Bornholm (called Burgundarholmr back then). So no, not Germans. Though I guess the division between the various branches of the Germanic language group might have been less pronounced back then.

Though if the Burgundians are just Germanics with funny accents, what about the French? They used to be Germanic as well.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Patter Song posted:

Luckily, the parts of Russia close to us are populated by our Tatar cousins, who would actually help our demographics.

Uh, I thought the Tartar-> Russian cultural conversion happened quite quickly and Russia has existed for a long time, more than enough to russianize those tartars actually.

I may be wrong about the cultural spread speed or misremembering how things happened here though v:shobon:v I dunno.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Technically, you could almost say the same for Parisian French during the Victoria period. As far as I'm aware, it was during this period that Parisian French was enforced on the rest of France, where people spoke all kinds of different dialects/languages. The Burgundians doing the same with their own dialect should be possible, at least in their core territories. The more recently conquered north might be able to resist it better than southern France did in real life though.

Eugen Weber's Peasants into Frenchmen is relevant: he makes the case that most of the transition you describe happened specifically between the rise of the Third Republic in 1871 and the start of World War I, arguing that the two dramatic elements of change were the Third Republic's universal education, where its teachers like Republican Missionaries, brought the language and culture of Paris to the provinces and ostracized those that didn't accept it, and universal conscription, which forced at least the men to all speak enough French to get through service.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

Uh, I thought the Tartar-> Russian cultural conversion happened quite quickly and Russia has existed for a long time, more than enough to russianize those tartars actually.

I may be wrong about the cultural spread speed or misremembering how things happened here though v:shobon:v I dunno.

From Wiz's end-of-EU3 Culture map (Wiz said he's going to dick around with these for Vicky, but I think it's a good guideline: note that the map is by culture group rather than by culture).

Tatars still are the dominant culture in most of southern Russia, though Russian culture has forced its way south a bit.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

A United States of Asia Minor a la the real-world United States of Greater Austria is probably the only way that doesn't end with an explosion of non-toleration.

It's certainly possible for big multi-ethnic states to survive and even thrive - look at India and Indonesia for example. But it certainly isn't going to happen with an Azeri minority ruling over the rest.

Comedy option - found the ideology of 'MAXTOL,' spread it to all corners of Eurasia. All will be tolerated in the eyes of MAXTOL :commissar:

Oh, of course. I didn't mean to say it was impossible for a large multi-ethnic nation to succeed or become democratic even, but even that United States of Greater Austria would eventually run into an issue; the non-Austrians would slowly make their way into the government, and sooner or later, the name would have to change to represent the other ethnic groups, since I can see them getting upset at the idea of being "greater Austria" (maybe the United States of Central Europe?).

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eastern Germanics. Current theory is that they came from the Danish island of Bornholm (called Burgundarholmr back then). So no, not Germans. Though I guess the division between the various branches of the Germanic language group might have been less pronounced back then.

Though if the Burgundians are just Germanics with funny accents, what about the French? They used to be Germanic as well.

That'll teach me to google Burgundians and just skim Wikipedia! Thanks, I see what Kainser was getting at, the Burgundians would probably just be French people who feel special.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Regarding French cultures/languages, one should take note that Occitan is more than a French dialect, but a separate Romance language, much like Catalan to which it is in fact very similar. It, like Breton and French dialects fell out of use during the Victorian era where the French pursued a policy of eliminating non-Parisian French, much like other countries like Italy and Greece in order to reinforce national unity). But Wikipedia also says, about the Albigensian crusade against the Cathars which did not occur in this timeline:

quote:

The Crusade was prosecuted primarily by the French crown and promptly took on a political flavour, resulting in not only a significant reduction in the number of practicing Cathars but also a realignment of Occitania, bringing it into the sphere of the French crown and diminishing the distinct regional culture and high level of Aragonese influence.
So perhaps this should have been more of a feature of EU3, given the Catalan-dominated Espanya, but France is definitely not populated simply by different flavours of Frenchmen in this timeline. So ideally the Victorian Burgundian state would be made up of four quite distinct and not necessarily similar cultural groups, the Burgundians, the French, the Occitans, and the Bretons.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^^Based on EU3 so would I say that the Gascons and Bretons would be the big groups wanting independence in Victoria if Wiz goes down that route.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The problem for me personally is that if we end up playing as a Greek Orthodox dominated state ruled from Anatolia then I'd feel that we aren't really playing as Azerbaijan anymore and there wouldn't really be a point to the LP. Not that I think that will be an issue since Nationalism is a hell of a drug and Azerbaijan right now is in a worse position than A-H was. In Austria so were Germans a plurality and Christians a majority at least.

Anyway, a major reason that India and Indonesia are such large and multi-ethnic states is the colonization and decolonization of those areas, something that Azerbaijan won't have.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 19, 2012

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Kainser posted:

The problem for me personally is that if we end up playing as a Greek Orthodox dominated state ruled from Anatolia then I'd feel that we aren't really playing as Azerbaijan anymore and there wouldn't really be a point to the LP. Not that I think that will be an issue since Nationalism is a hell of a drug and Azerbaijan is right now in a worse position than A-H was. In Austria so were Germans a plurality and Christians a majority at least.

Anyway, a major cause of the multiethnic composition of India and Indonesia was the colonization and decolonization of those areas, something that Azerbaijan doesn't have.

Yeah, I really don't see Azerbaijan holding onto Armenia for very long - I just wanted to point out that there's *potentially* paths for the current empire to survive into the 20th Century...they're just not very likely. Although given the current ethnic breakup, it's possible that the Azeris might be able to play the Anatolian Greeks and the Armenians against each other for a while. They've got the Oriental/Orthodox Christianity divide to work with, and there's often a lot more distrust between heretics than heathens.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

Eugen Weber's Peasants into Frenchmen is relevant: he makes the case that most of the transition you describe happened specifically between the rise of the Third Republic in 1871 and the start of World War I, arguing that the two dramatic elements of change were the Third Republic's universal education, where its teachers like Republican Missionaries, brought the language and culture of Paris to the provinces and ostracized those that didn't accept it, and universal conscription, which forced at least the men to all speak enough French to get through service.
Cool. Didn't know the specifics but just recalled hearing something like this a long time ago. It might be an argument for those things to dramatically hasten the assimilation of minorities in Victoria, or perhaps allow a decision that would do the same (while perhaps increasing militancy?). The increased assimilation rate could perhaps be smaller for non-culture group minorities while increasing their militancy to a greater degree.

DrProsek posted:

Oh, of course. I didn't mean to say it was impossible for a large multi-ethnic nation to succeed or become democratic even, but even that United States of Greater Austria would eventually run into an issue; the non-Austrians would slowly make their way into the government, and sooner or later, the name would have to change to represent the other ethnic groups, since I can see them getting upset at the idea of being "greater Austria" (maybe the United States of Central Europe?).
I don't know about having United States in the name, sounds kind of foreign to Europe. Seems more like a name that belongs in the Americas, to me at least. I do agree with your point that the name should be one that represents all of the people and doesn't place one group above the others. That's a bit of a derail though, given that there's no Habsburg monarchy in the area.

DrProsek posted:

That'll teach me to google Burgundians and just skim Wikipedia!
Well, it's not like there are any East Germanics left, so it's easy to forget the ic and just call them East Germans. They're pretty different groups though! ;)

DrProsek posted:

Thanks, I see what Kainser was getting at, the Burgundians would probably just be French people who feel special.
All the different types of French people would probably feel special,* the Burgundians are just on top in this scenario. It's not like they're comparing themselves to the French we know from our history.

*I would hazard a guess and say that this is true for any culture.

YF-23 posted:

So perhaps this should have been more of a feature of EU3, given the Catalan-dominated Espanya, but France is definitely not populated simply by different flavours of Frenchmen in this timeline. So ideally the Victorian Burgundian state would be made up of four quite distinct and not necessarily similar cultural groups, the Burgundians, the French, the Occitans, and the Bretons.
The Occitan area has been under the Burgundians for quite a long time in this lp, while the north was ruled by the French, right? That, along with your point about the crusade, is certainly an argument for a great north/south division of culture.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Kainser posted:

The problem for me personally is that if we end up playing as a Greek Orthodox dominated state ruled from Anatolia then I'd feel that we aren't really playing as Azerbaijan anymore and there wouldn't really be a point to the LP. Not that I think that will be an issue since Nationalism is a hell of a drug and Azerbaijan right now is in a worse position than A-H was. In Austria so were Germans a plurality and Christians a majority at least.

Personally, I'd love to see Azerbaijan enter a long period of decline in V2. Instead of dominating the world like every other Paradox LP, I think it would be kind of neat if Wiz used V2's mechanics to show political, economic, and ethnic unrest as our tiny empire falls apart. Without the vanilla V2's method of "rebels, everywhere," of course. Let's be the Sick Old Man of Azerbaijan. :allears:

Heck, the Azeri Civil War could be the American Civil War of this timeline, or a series of Anatolian Wars could replace the Balkan Wars.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm having difficulties trying to come up with a design for a Communist Christiana. Either you need to make all their parties Moralist, to reflect the nation's genesis, or the name would need to change.

From yesterday, but I remembered this post and felt bored and wanted to show off my limited art skills.

Basically, the communist flag of Norway with Christiana colors and a cross and sickle instead of a hammer. I know we just went over how "Hammer and sickle, BOOM! Instant communist flag" is kinda annoying and for a lot of countries doesn't quite make sense, but I think the small change will be enough to give it some uniqueness.

What I would do for Christiana political parties is:

Fascist, Reactionary, Conservative, and Socialist: Moralist

Liberal and Communist: Pluralist

Anarcho-Liberal: Secularized or Atheism

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Flag for communist Azerbaijan (or anyone, really):

And proper game size:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

FadingChord posted:

Heck, the Azeri Civil War could be the American Civil War of this timeline, or a series of Anatolian Wars could replace the Balkan Wars.

It would be pretty cool to see Azerbaijan as the trigger for the Great War. Armenia tries to gain independence and is supported by Russia. Poland and Burgandy, who fear that Russia will upset the balance of power declare their support for Azerbaijan. This prompts a declaration of war from Germany in support of their Republican allies, the Russians. As Burgandy is distracted with Anatolia, Italy declares war on Burgandy to satisfy their claims on Piedmont. Burgandy in turn activates its alliance with Espanya and Portugal. As the war wages, the government of Azerbaijan is overthrown in a violent communist revolution. The monarchy manages to flee to Crete and declares independence.

Unfortunately, I doubt Azerbaijan will survive that long in its current state. As far as I'm concerned our hold over Anatolia is doomed. The only question is when the collapse will occur and how. If we are lucky, we'll be able to survive as a Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic.

DrProsek posted:

From yesterday, but I remembered this post and felt bored and wanted to show off my limited art skills.

Basically, the communist flag of Norway with Christiana colors and a cross and sickle instead of a hammer. I know we just went over how "Hammer and sickle, BOOM! Instant communist flag" is kinda annoying and for a lot of countries doesn't quite make sense, but I think the small change will be enough to give it some uniqueness.

Both that flag and the idea are pretty solid in my opinion. I tried my hand at the flag of a fascist Christiana. How does this look?

The ruling party is symbolized by the circle which binds the cross (and the nation) together.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 19, 2012

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

QuoProQuid posted:

It would be pretty cool to see Azerbaijan as the trigger for the Great War. Armenia tries to gain independence and is supported by Russia. Poland and Burgandy, who fear that Russia will upset the balance of power declare their support for Azerbaijan. This prompts a declaration of war from Germany in support of their Republican allies, the Russians. As Burgandy is distracted with Anatolia, Italy declares war on Burgandy to satisfy their claims on Piedmont. Burgandy in turn activates its alliance with Espanya and Portugal.
You are aware of the fact that Germany is a monarchy right?

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 19, 2012

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Kainser posted:

My mistake. For some reason I was thinking that Germany had become a Republic at the end of EU3. I don't know why.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

DrProsek posted:

I really don't see why Communists would be pluralist, as Communism in this game pretty much assumes Bolshevism, Socialist I get, but Communists would be atheist, Anarcho-liberals would be secularist.

Not sure if this can be modded well, but if there were 2 communist parties, 1 Bolshevik and one explicitly moralist, and a Christian Communist party, that could work, but a cross seems out of place otherwise.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

QuoProQuid posted:

My mistake. For some reason I was thinking that Germany had become a Republic at the end of EU3. I don't know why.
Because they did, but then they got their asses whooped and turned back into dirty monarchist scum.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Kainser posted:

Hey, if the French in real life flip-flopped between monarchy and republic, why can't the Germans in the LP?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

markus_cz posted:

Industrialisation didn't really have that drastic environmental effects. The effects were mostly social, like people moving from the country to cities and their factories. But despite all those dirty cities, chimneys, steam trains and London pea fogs, the country life and environment remained largely unchanged. In the Victorian era, the only problem I can think of would be pollution, but I guess it was largely confined to population centres and didn't effect natural environment that much.

Massive environmental changes are more a thing of the 20th century, especially after WWII. Automobilism, industrialisation of agriculture (the so called Gren Revolution) and urban sprawl brought such environmental changes that the 19th century pales in comparison. Encroachment and exctictions are really terms that only appear in the latter part of 20th century.
The thing is, massive environmental changes of the 20th century wouldn't had been possible without the industrial revolution, so industrialisation is responsible for the mess we are in now. But the chain of causality is so long and will be longer still when the climate change really kicks in that people who made the decisions during the early industrial revolution couldn't know about all the effects and probably wouldn't even have cared had they known. I like to think it's much like tobacco: if it were introduced now (or people had known everything relevant about smoking when it was introduced), it would be instantly banned. But we live in a world where it's present and because of that it's allowed to stay.

I know SimEarth, but Global Effect and Fate of the World were new to me. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

I guess this issue is really derailed from the topic here, which is Azerbaijan. I think it's pretty likely that all those Anatolian holdings will become independent during the game. It would be quite poetic if Azerbaijan would be reduced to it's present size or starting size in CK1 at the end of this LP. From obscurity to glory to obscurity again.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Clearly the way forward for Azerbaijan is the Austrian strategy of playing minorities off against each other. If the Greeks and Armenians are claiming the same land, then the Greeks and Armenians would be terrified of each other's nationalist ambitions and work to prevent them! There's no possible problem with this strategy! :downs:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't really see why Christiana should remain religiously devout if it becomes communist. They should however have a populace that is decidedly moralist, so that an atheist communist party has little if any support. I'd imagine that socialists there would be pluralist or secular, but that communism, at least in its early stages, would be hardline, with the possibility of a second communist party that is secular instead of atheist popping up later as less radicalised people join the movement.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm not really clear on how Burgundy is actually all that different than France, except in that they never had a revolution. The idea that Burgundy is effectively a dynastic state similar to austria-hungary seems like something of a stretch to me, it doesn't seem obvious to me that Burgundy as a dynastic state is much different from the pre-revolution Kingdom of France. National identities aren't intrinsic things that people are born with. Burgundy has been steadily uniting the area that hundreds of years ago was known as France for several hundred years, and except for regions like Gascony and Brittany has ruled most of "France" non-stop for about 200 years. Wouldn't it just be more the case that Burgundian has supplanted Cosmopolitan French as the langue d'oil, and to the extent that people felt french in this period, they would instead just feel Burgundian, Burgundy having been synonymous with the French state itself for centuries?

I mean, Burgundy is certainly not a nation state currently because that concept is in its infancy at this time, but with the state's borders having encompassed the vast majority of France for centuries by now, I'm not sure it would be correct to assume that to future nationalists and republicans Burgundy will be seen as a provincial administration that happens to control France, when it seems to make just as much sense that those people might identify Burgundy as the natural nation state of all peoples who speak the Gallo-romantic languages, with the caveat (for republicans) that Burgundy should be a republic instead of a monarchy.

I'd see "France" as an idea being more of a Fascist thing than anything, like the harkening back to the past done by the German fascists with the Third Reich and the Italian fascists with the Roman Empire.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

YF-23 posted:

I don't really see why Christiana should remain religiously devout if it becomes communist. They should however have a populace that is decidedly moralist, so that an atheist communist party has little if any support. I'd imagine that socialists there would be pluralist or secular, but that communism, at least in its early stages, would be hardline, with the possibility of a second communist party that is secular instead of atheist popping up later as less radicalised people join the movement.

I was suggesting that unless the communist party remained moralist/pluralist then Christiana would need a new name. Also a Christian Communist Party is a concept that we rarely see and I think that few people wanted to pass up the opportunity. It's an interesting idea that actually makes sense in context of Christiana's own personal history. Their entire national identity is built on religion.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 19, 2012

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Eh, on the one hand Christian Communists don't really exist at this point, and hardline factions would be the only ones with a voice, but allowing for a bit of ahistorical political factions might allow for some better flag designs, without needing constant hammers and sickles. I admit it certainly isn't a likely outcome at this time period, so for maintaining historical plausibility, maybe an atheist communism is best, but maybe it's worth allowing one nation to have its own form of communism. Maybe make some fascist atheists somewhere else in the world to compensate.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 19, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Middle East:

Note that I've barely even started on India.

EDIT: Minor corrections.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 19, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Wiz posted:

The Middle East:

Note that I've barely even started on India.

EDIT: Minor corrections.

It's nice to see that our southern neighbours have the correct name now but that Bulgaria is neither Old nor Great. :colbert:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Look at the Arabian peninsula.

See that point between Hedjaz, Damman, Oman and Yemen?

That's some fine-lookin' borders there. Other countries take note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would also like to note that the two most important countries are in the scenario:

• Locked thread