Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

PsychoAndy posted:

You would not play with futures, unless you want to take delivery of 100 ounces of gold per contract at a certain point in time. Which, as of now, would be worth about $120,000.
No retail broker ever allows this to happen.

PsychoAndy posted:

1.) At what point would you sell gold? $2000/oz? $3000/oz? If it ever got to that point you'd probably have other things to worry about...like finding a job that pays at least 3x as much, or moving to a more stable country (i don't know of any given this scenario). Also, who would have the money or would want to buy your metals?
Huh? Gold's up 400% in the past 10 years and civilization hasn't collapsed, inflation hasn't increased wages by 300%, and there's still plenty of worldwide demand for gold, $2k-$3k/oz might be a bubble but it doesn't mean the end of the world.

PsychoAndy posted:

2.) If the dollar did collapse, and there wasn't another currency, wouldn't things like food, water, and a knowledgebase relative to surviving like a 3rd world person be a lot more useful?
Possibly, what's the investment play there? Canned corn futures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp_derp
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozma
drat it China, what have you done to my Euro short :negative:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Got out of TSTC at 10.95 for +2.36 in 3 days. Put a buy in at $10.00, may bump that up to 10.25 later today. still holding everything else. Adding a few more names to watch list (target buy price) - TSL ($15.00) TINY ($4.00) ENER ($4.50)

edit: back in TSTC @ 10.25

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 29, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Who keeps triggering a massive selloff in the last half an hour? Was it one of you?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hobologist posted:

Who keeps triggering a massive selloff in the last half an hour? Was it one of you?
Gotta be fear of the long weekend. If it weren't for that, we might have actually closed in the green.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Gotta be fear of the long weekend. If it weren't for that, we might have actually closed in the green.

Massive sell off means massive buy back on MondayTuesday? :ohdear:

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
I apologize if this isn't the place, but there are an overwhelming amount of books on the list and I don't really know where to start. Anyone suggest which one to begin with?

I just graduated from business school, but I have essentially no investing experience. My business core was econ/accounting/basic finance, and my major was Information Systems. I'd really like to learn more as it seems very interesting. Perhaps one day I will become knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable investing money as opposed to just learning concepts and examining trends.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Beatladdius posted:

I apologize if this isn't the place, but there are an overwhelming amount of books on the list and I don't really know where to start. Anyone suggest which one to begin with?

The Intelligent Investor, by Ben Graham

He also wrote Security Analysis, which is the Bible of investors, but is much much larger.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What div paying stocks do the goons like?

Im wanting to get into a few items that generate a little $ on the side instead of just being a stock that I hold for a while like my BRK/B

http://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=pnnt

This stock, other than the dip of 2008 has bounced around $8-$12 for a long while and appears to have a quarterly div pay out of 26 cents a share. Right now the stock is right at $10.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
T and VZ seem hard to ignore.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Just found out that my summer internship offers pretax (bummer dude) 401k matching up to 3% and 0.5 on up to 5% :monocle:. I just signed up at the whole 5% (so I'm getting matched 4% of my income). Any reason not to, assuming I'm not in dire need of that 5% immediately? I was planning on trying to pump as much of this cash into stocks anyways, and I can't think of any caveats, but I figured I would ask. I'm 22, so I've got it pumped into the "moderate-aggressive" vanguard retirement 2045 fund, if anyone was interested. Other investments are about $3k (:() in GE (was up about 33% (hedged a big bet on AMD and C) before the drat Greece fiasco)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah I have been eyeing them as well.

I just loving HATE AT&T. Nothing wrong with making money off em though.

Am I looking at this right? AT&T is currently paying 42 cents a qtr?

Edit to the above=If you can afford it, put in as much that would max out the company match. Thats free loving money right there!

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Edit to the above=If you can afford it, put in as much that would max out the company match. Thats free loving money right there!
Pretty much. And it's not like that 401k is completely untouchable - you can withdraw the money if you're willing to pay the taxes. Plus they're pre-tax, so that $500 you set aside would really only be $400 or so on your paycheck. I wouldn't recommend trying to be a day trader with your pension though.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Ah ha ha ha. Just like with GM, I'm kicking myself in the rear end so much for not shorting BP, even when it was already down 10-20% from its highs. Down 15% in pre-market! That's only going to be an almost instant $20 billion gone from their market cap. I can't imagine what some puts from Thursday are going to be worth in a few hours.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

What div paying stocks do the goons like?

Im wanting to get into a few items that generate a little $ on the side instead of just being a stock that I hold for a while like my BRK/B

Windstream and Qwest have been reliable cash cows for me, and if you're feeling bold you could consider Linn Energy, Breitburn Energy Partners, or Capstead Mortgage.

There are companies that pay more moderate dividends, but I thought, why not go for huge. Just remember that high dividend payers tend not to come up with much capital appreciation.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks.

I keep seeing Linn Energy come up from time to time in my skimmings of information.

Holy crap, 63 cents/share per quarter? Nice.

Good Christ, CMO has a div of 50 cents and the stock is only ~$11?

So lets say for sake of argument and that my math isnt retarded.

If I dumped $50k for whatever reason into CMO at todays prices and bought 4400 shares, Id get 50 cents per share at current rate and provided it doesnt go up or down, $2198 would be the pay out every 3 months?

Now Im not advocating dumping everything into one stock obviously, just wanting to make sure my math is right if this was a situation to occur.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 1, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Yes, but CMO's current earnings are unlikely to be this good in future. I think they'll still produce an adequate return on capital, but the current earnings are the result of the ridiculously low interest rates. Hence the boldness of the play. The other ones can theoretically sustain their dividends for some time, as long as the price of oil doesn't do anything too strange.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
If you're really yield-hungry MTA(ADR) pays an annual divvy of $1.64 and is currently trading @15.15. I know absolutely dick about the telecom business in Hungary but the chart looks respectable and they have a P/E of 7.5.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k posted:

I just added to my NOV position at 39.90.

:saddowns:

National Oilwell Varco, Inc. Co
(NYSE: NOV)

Real-Time: 33.89 Down 4.24 (11.12%) 3:43PM EDT

What is this bullshit. hosed up oil wells mean MORE business. Retooling and fixing rigs to get recertified to drill or whatever. More. MORE BUSINESS. WHAT THE gently caress.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

pr0k posted:

What is this bullshit. hosed up oil wells mean MORE business. Retooling and fixing rigs to get recertified to drill or whatever. More. MORE BUSINESS. WHAT THE gently caress.

Anything oil-related is poison right now. In theory there should be some bargains out there but I'm not going to try to call a bottom (disclosure: still long XOM July calls).

Edit: I thought things were on the way up last week when /QM crossed $75 but was sorely mistaken.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

pr0k posted:

So glad I dumped NOV for a small gain, that stock has been crap over the past two years or so. I may buy back in below 30, though I'd probably go bottom feeding on BP and RIG first.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Tom Rakewell posted:

So glad I dumped NOV for a small gain, that stock has been crap over the past two years or so. I may buy back in below 30, though I'd probably go bottom feeding on BP and RIG first.

I wouldn't touch BP for any price right now, RIG is a bit safer.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
Almost at the February low...
Another bad week or two and MVV will start looking good

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Ok the stock market just should not be up today. What the hell?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

I must say, watching Buffett testifying before the crisis panel is much more refreshing than watching the Senate hearings on Goldman Sachs. They picked a good panel for once.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

ayekappy posted:

Ok the stock market just should not be up today. What the hell?

Everything I am reading says it is because good news in housing today.

Dont worry though. Like last weeks single day rally, it will be in the shitter for Wed/Thurs/Fri.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As they say, markets are never wrong - opinions are.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

MrBigglesworth posted:

Car sales rose, and the Dow CEO says demand is improving.

Does anyone use Wikinvest? It seems really useful, but I'm a little hesitant to hand over my broker login/password.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 2, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Dont worry though. Like last weeks single day rally, it will be in the shitter for Wed/Thurs/Fri.
Today is Wednesday. :confused:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Does anyone use Wikinvest? It seems really useful, but I'm a little hesitant to hand over my broker login/password.

Change your broker password to something temporary, import data, then change it back. It's easy enough to manage transactions manually, unless you're trading very often.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Josh Lyman posted:

Today is Wednesday. :confused:

Memorial day is throwing my week off! Sorry bout that!

goddinpotty
Sep 11, 2001

by Ozmaugh
So a friend of mine has shares of common stock that he owns outright in a company that just filed their IPO pricing expectations and should start trading on the nasdaq in a couple of weeks. How does he get these shares liquid?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

goddinpotty posted:

So a friend of mine has shares of common stock that he owns outright in a company that just filed their IPO pricing expectations and should start trading on the nasdaq in a couple of weeks. How does he get these shares liquid?

If he has actual paper shares, he can just mail them to whoever his broker is

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
This market is scary overbought.

How CRM, a company with 1.5 billion in yearly revenues, can add 1.3 billion in market cap in 2 days is a huge red flag to me.

VMW is also getting real expensive.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Jack posted:

This market is scary overbought.

How CRM, a company with 1.5 billion in yearly revenues, can add 1.3 billion in market cap in 2 days is a huge red flag to me.

VMW is also getting real expensive.

I am not sure how you can make a the conclusion that the entire market is overbought based upon high price fluctuations of two high beta, stocks in a heavily volatile market.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

My portfolio today just broke through a resistance level. Do portfolios have those?

Anyway, CRM (salesforce.com) has a P/E ratio of 150 and almost no assets to speak of apart from cash and its equivalents. I suppose it's a scalable business, but is its ultimate market niche really about 10 times its current size, as the P/E ratio suggests? If it bothers you so much, the January 2012 puts are for sale.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Hobologist posted:

My portfolio today just broke through a resistance level. Do portfolios have those?

Anyway, CRM (salesforce.com) has a P/E ratio of 150 and almost no assets to speak of apart from cash and its equivalents. I suppose it's a scalable business, but is its ultimate market niche really about 10 times its current size, as the P/E ratio suggests? If it bothers you so much, the January 2012 puts are for sale.

P/E suggests GTFO? and I was wondering if I should be going back into NFLX even though it's P/E is around 50 again.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Jackal posted:

P/E suggests GTFO? and I was wondering if I should be going back into NFLX even though it's P/E is around 50 again.

I keep trying to get into NFLX as I think it's a good growth story, but I've been burned twice by bad entry points.

I'm tempted by one of it's competitors, Coinstar (CSTR), though it's a bit too far above it's moving averages for my tastes. It's shown amazing strength even after its gap up though.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
How are people feeling about solar plays? I know the tax credit is expiring but the sector has grown every year for the past 10 years. The story is that Eurozone pressures are beating down the whole sector since that is a huge solar market. But a lot of companies have hedged their exposure pretty well, FSLR hedged 50% of their net income @1.39 EUR/USD and stocks like STRI and JASO have limited exposure as well. Valuations are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

How are people feeling about solar plays? I know the tax credit is expiring but the sector has grown every year for the past 10 years. The story is that Eurozone pressures are beating down the whole sector since that is a huge solar market. But a lot of companies have hedged their exposure pretty well, FSLR hedged 50% of their net income @1.39 EUR/USD and stocks like STRI and JASO have limited exposure as well. Valuations are low.

I really like LDK at its current price as a long term hold... in the next year or two I think there's going to be some shakeouts though. I also think the oil spill is going to be a big positive for US subsidies over the next few years with this administration. ESLR and ENER are both very risky plays with huge potential upside, but they could both go to 0 also.

One thing very interesting about ENER that is completely ignored by the market is their phase change memory business. I honestly don't want to type out the entire story, but basically they have a thin film solar technology that doesn't use Tellurium (considered the Achilles' heel of FSLR's technology if it ever were to become a truly huge business due to it being one of the rarest elements on earth) and their phase change memory *does* use Tellurium. Phase change memory appears to be a serious up and coming flash competitor and has been licensed by many tech heavyweights and products are starting to come to market - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_memory#Timeline Note that Ovonyx is the company ENER exclusively licensed all Phase change memory technology and patents to and ENER is Ovonyx's largest shareholder. So they stand to not only make money from a potential technology, but also increase a solar competitor's cost basis significantly if phase change memory starts sucking up Tellurium on any significant scale. As I said, very risky but potentially huge.

edit: and I forgot to mention, Cramer loved ENER at $80 :P

edit2: Here is a really good breakdown of what happened with LDK and why they are one of the most promising turnaround plays - http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/207726-investinghobo/74712-a-controversial-company-in-a-controversial-sector

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2010