Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

George Kontos optioned down to AAA. Does this mean the Giants are going to try and shake up the bullpen after the last three losses?

That's making room for Casilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Couple of Marlins roster moves. DeSclafani and Marisnick scratched from AAA. Marisnick will replace Yelich, who is on the 15 day DL for back spasms. No word on pitching changes.

V: Marisnick was awful at the big leagues last year hitting but otherwise is touted as a four tool prospect. Hopefully his hot spring training and AAA May/June will carry over...

The back end of the Marlins rotation is a mess. Save us Heaney!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is this just a B.S. rumor to generate pageviews? A leak from the Cubs trying to get other teams to up their offers? Would Kyle Crick + a lesser SP prospect or two even be a competitive package? :iiam:

It's probably the former, and any Samardzija deal depends on what Tampa is looking for as well since both teams will be playing Hungry Hungry Hippos all summer. Would the Giants even consider moving Crick unless they think he can't be fixed?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hmmm.

But wait...

Is this just a B.S. rumor to generate pageviews? A leak from the Cubs trying to get other teams to up their offers? Would Kyle Crick + a lesser SP prospect or two even be a competitive package? :iiam:

It's fake. Giants only trade their pitching prospects for rentals.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I don't really read DRays Bay (the Rays' SBNation blog) anymore as the analysis is pretty fangraphs-y, but their writeup of today's game was pretty great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vegeta dentata posted:

N: Couple of Marlins roster moves. DeSclafani and Marisnick scratched from AAA. Marisnick will replace Yelich, who is on the 15 day DL for back spasms. No word on pitching changes.

V: Marisnick was awful at the big leagues last year hitting but otherwise is touted as a four tool prospect. Hopefully his hot spring training and AAA May/June will carry over...

The back end of the Marlins rotation is a mess. Save us Heaney!
I would assume Heaney will be up any time. They should stop using Randy Wolf.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Logan Morrison got angry in the dugout and struck his bat against the wall. The bat shattered and a piece of wood flew into his face and gave him lacerations. He needed 5 stitches and John Buck had to play 1st base the rest of the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
e: double post oops must be the database.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 16, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tony Gwynn died. What the hell? Didn't even know he was sick or anything.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Tony Gwynn will live on in the hit tool of Starlin Castro

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zakharov posted:

He took medical leave from San Diego State back in March due to his cancer coming back. :(

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

zakharov posted:

Salivary gland cancer. RIP.

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011
This was an article posted just yesterday about Tony Gwynn and his son...

Jim Salisbury posted:

Tony Gwynn Jr. will rise in Philadelphia on Sunday morning and wait for the call from the West Coast. It’s Father’s Day, of course, and Gwynn’s heart will bubble with joy when he hears the voices of his wife and three young daughters who are still back home in San Diego finishing up the school year.

After receiving all those long-distance Father’s Day hugs from his girls, Gwynn will place a call right back to the West Coast to deliver some Father’s Day love of his own.

“I always try to get in an I love you,” he said. “For a while that was uncomfortable for me, I don’t know why. But since 2010, it hasn’t been uncomfortable. It’s something I want to make sure I get in because you never know what’s going to happen.”

Gwynn’s father, Tony Gwynn Sr., is one of the greatest hitters in baseball history, an eight-time National League batting champion, perennial All-Star, first-ballot Hall of Famer and undisputed gentleman of the game. He was one of those rare players, like Banks, Ripken and Musial, whose talent, longevity and personality allowed him to become synonymous with his ballclub. He is so identifiable with San Diego’s major league baseball team that they call him Mr. Padre. It says it right on the statue outside the stadium.

To Tony Jr., Mr. Padre is just “Pops.”

“My best friend,” said Tony Jr., a 31-year-old outfielder in his eighth big-league season and first with the Phillies. “Just a good dude.”

Anyone who has ever met Tony Gwynn Sr. would agree with that.

There are probably reasons why young Tony didn’t find it easy to tell his dad he loved him when he was a youngster. (There’s one right there -- youth.) Maybe he was too busy playing catch with his dad, or taking swings with him, or picking his brain about hitting -- that would be like talking religion with God, wouldn’t it? -- to say it. Maybe he was too busy playing pranks, like the time he secretly turned the car stereo up full-blast and Pops, his eardrums ringing, came charging into the house shouting, “Ant-nee! Leave my radio alone!”

But it all changed in 2010 when Pops was found to have cancer in a salivary gland. Suddenly, those I love yous came a lot easier for Junior. Tony Sr. has had two surgeries since the diagnosis, one to remove a cancerous tumor from inside his right cheek. He has theorized that years of using chewing tobacco led to his cancer, but his doctors have not proven that. Either way, young Tony quit chewing cold turkey when his father was diagnosed. He said he sneaked a pinch last year, but quickly rethought his decision.

Four years after being diagnosed with cancer, Tony Gwynn Sr. fights on.

In recent months, the battle has gotten tougher. Gwynn has tried some new treatments that have sapped his energy and weakened his immune system. In March, he had to take a leave of absence from San Diego State University, where he has been head baseball coach since 2003. The Aztecs went on to win the Mountain West Conference tournament with a Tony Gwynn bobblehead sitting in the dugout taking in all the action. Tony Jr. played one season for his dad in college before being selected by Milwaukee in the 2003 draft. It was a special time for the kid because, after watching his best friend leave on Padres’ road trips all those years, “I got him all year long and it was awesome.”

The last few months have not been awesome.

“This has been the hardest of the four years he’s fought it, by far,” Tony Jr. said.

“When I left for spring training he was in a good spot, and now he’s not in that same spot, so from that standpoint I guess it has worsened. But in the big scheme of things, which is getting healthy so he can do the things he wants to do, I see light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t say that he does, but then again he’s the one going through this, and it’s tough on him.”

As a player, Tony Gwynn exhibited a great joy for the game. He was known for his big smile, his spirit and his enthusiasm almost as much as his sweet left-handed stroke.

It’s tough to hear that this good man, just 54 years old, is going through such a difficult time.

“Imagine what it’s like for a son who’s been with him his whole life and known that same guy off and on the field,” Tony Jr. said. “It’s heartbreaking.”

Tony Jr. gets updates on his dad’s health from his mother, Alicia, who is by her husband’s side as he fights the fight at home in San Diego. Alicia and Tony Sr. were high school sweethearts.

“She’s really been both of our pillars,” Tony Jr. said. “That’s nothing new. She’s been that way our whole life.”

When Tony Jr. was a kid, he’d accompany his father to work at Jack Murphy Stadium every day once school got out. They’d talk baseball to and from the ballpark. OK, sometimes they’d talk hoops. Tony Sr. played baseball and basketball at San Diego State and Tony Jr. was a pretty fair basketball player himself.

“It took me till I was 15 to beat him in one on one,” Tony Jr. said.

Tony Jr. can tell his father’s battle has gotten more serious from their recent phone calls. They hardly talk baseball these days.

“A lot of our conversations have been brief lately, which isn’t normal because we both like to talk -- a lot,” Tony Jr. said. “The last conversation we had about baseball was in spring training.

“It’s usually just about his health and that’s unusual, too, because usually when we talk it’s about baseball.

“For us not to talk about baseball for that long -- it’s been difficult, I’m not going to lie. It’s something that I’ve always had, even as an adult. Even when I didn’t steer the conversation to baseball, he steered the conversation to baseball. So that lets me know how he’s doing, really, the fact that he doesn’t even bring up baseball.

“He’s hurting. No doubt.”

While there are more important matters than baseball in the Gwynn family’s life right now, the game does have its place.

Tony Jr. said the most memorable advice his dad ever gave him was: Take care of your family. Baseball is his job, it’s how he takes care of his family. He is ready to play every day, and his dad should be proud. Phillies management is aware of Gwynn’s personal situation. They have told him he can be excused to be with his dad at any time, but he presses on.

“I go through moments during the day where it’s heavy on the mind and then I get a little bit of a reprieve during the game or in the batting cage,” he said. “Other than that, when there’s down time, I’m usually thinking about my dad.”

Tony Gwynn Jr. inherited his dad’s smile and friendly personality. He even sounds like his dad when he talks. Even in these tough times, he’s full of hope and optimism. He believes his dad will win this toughening battle and coach at San Diego State again.

“He’s a fighter,” Tony Jr. said. “He’s going to battle it out, but please keep him in your prayers.”

There will be nothing uncomfortable about it when Tony Gwynn Jr. calls home and tells his Pops, “I love you,” this Father’s Day. It will be strong and clear and he will repeat it every day until next Father’s Day and the one after that and the one after that …

“This hasn’t been the easiest year for the Gwynn family, but we’ll make it through,” he said.

:smith:

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

seiferguy posted:

Logan Morrison got angry in the dugout and struck his bat against the wall. The bat shattered and a piece of wood flew into his face and gave him lacerations. He needed 5 stitches and John Buck had to play 1st base the rest of the game.

I'm shocked that no video of the incident has surfaced, at least that I can find. LoMo is a giant idiot baby.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
It's official! This season really does loving suck.

RIP Mr. Padre

gently caress

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Real Name Grover posted:

Salivary gland cancer. RIP.

Yeah, I think he chewed a ton in his career, didn't he?

Sad news, one of the best pure hitters ever.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Sad news, one of the best pure hitters ever.

Yeah essentially Gwynn just died because of chewing tobacco, no joke.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zakharov posted:

I knew he'd been diagnosed with cancer a few years ago but I thought he must have been in remission or something.

Tony Gwynn was always one of my favorite players, and seemed like a good guy and a class act. I remember hearing him gushing in an interview about one time he got to talk hitting with Ted Williams and it always made me smile. He was like a little kid recalling that story.

RIP Tony. :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

N: Tony Gwynn averaged 29 strikeouts per 162 games over his entire career.

V: Tony Gwynn ruled and it sucks that he died.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I always loved how Tony Gwynn had the goofiest voice ever and how looked like a giant teddy bear. What an awesome dude RIP.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

IcePhoenix posted:

Well he was a baseball player, so yes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Well he was a baseball player, so yes.

Yeah, I'm talking about the kind of guy who if it was cigs would be going through multiple packs per day. Most players who chewed would probably fall under the "one or two packs a week" type of smoker.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mks5000 posted:

Tony Gwynn faced Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine over 200 times in his career.

Three total strikeouts, never by Greg Maddux.

Just amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on what that article is saying he probably died from an infection. My dad had leukemia and had nearly beaten it, but developed an infection after chemo one time that ended up killing him. Most people don't get how cancer treatment by itself can kill people more easily than the disease sometimes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RIP Gwynn. You were awesome. :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Never forget

Disband the BBWAA

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

19 straight years of hitting over .300. Never seeing that again.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess San Diego's curse, in exchange for perfect weather year-round, is random sweeping wild fires and the bi-annual sacrifice of a sporting legend.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Tony Gwynn was and is the loving best, and I'm unreasonably bummed about this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Everblight posted:

Tony Gwynn faced Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine over 200 times in his career.

Three total strikeouts, never by Greg Maddux.

Just amazing.

This is why I cringe when I see a ton of guys striking out 150+ times per year and people are like "eh, he's a good hitter anyway." Yes, there are good hitters who strike out more than average, but that's despite the K's. They'd be even better if they put the ball in play more.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gwynn's passing admittedly brought a tear to my eye when I saw it this morning.

Dude only had only year with less than a .300 average. He was a rookie and it was .289.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

mks5000 posted:

Pretty sure most of our current players already have around 29 strikeouts this season. Pretty amazing. He will be missed dearly. Much like Jerry Coleman before him, he is a huge part of this community and the void left will be difficult to fill.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just hope it doesn't come out that he was a huge rear end in a top hat like it did with Kirby Puckett shortly before his death.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Retail Slave posted:

I just hope it doesn't come out that he was a huge rear end in a top hat like it did with Kirby Puckett shortly before his death.

Tony was a pretty well known non-rear end in a top hat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

marshmonkey posted:

Tony was a pretty well known non-rear end in a top hat.

Yes he was... as was Kirby Puckett until that SI story came out.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

What a weird thing to say, Retail Slave

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Quick little math.

Gwynn averaged a strike out every 23.576 plate appearances.

Mark Reynolds would have to avoid striking out in his next 27,626 plate appearances to match that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MLB.com posted:

The Giants signed Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell to a Major League contract on Monday, and the 23-year-old will report to Arizona once he has a work visa.

It's a four-year deal, and Carbonell will make a guaranteed $3.5 million, according to an industry source, and he can earn another $3.5 million in performance bonuses. The club did not confirm the terms of the deal.

Currently working out in Merida, Mexico, Carbonell played for Camaguey in Cuba's Serie Nacional for four years, hitting .287 with 119 runs, 28 doubles, four triples, nine home runs and 70 RBIs in 190 games.

He hit .298 with 40 runs, 13 doubles, five homers and 28 RBIs in 62 games in his most recent campaign (2012-13). Primarily a center fielder in Cuba, Carbonell has experience at all three outfield positions.

Because the history of the Giants scouting/developing hitters has been a joke for so long, I feel like I'm playing David Letterman's "Is This Anything?"

Then again, we're riding a Colvin/Blanco platoon right now, and that is definitely not anything, so why not.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Retail Slave posted:

Yes he was... as was Kirby Puckett until that SI story came out.

Read that article. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Here's an article with some perspective on Gwynn's hitting. Including such things as that he was more likely to have four hits than two strikeouts in a game. And that he had 12 seasons with more doubles than strikeouts. No one did that last year and no one is on track to do it this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24589877/leaderboarding-the-greatness-of-tony-gwynn-professional-hitter

• Locked thread