Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Chaosno750risk with the all the burnouts

I'm not that crazy.

e: I kinda hope the Everhate command to add four berserkers to the tree that only get added once the BERSERKERRISK cut-off hits.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The one iOS change I never understood is that the Defender sword can't be used as an item to cast Protect anymore. I mean it can't have been a glitch, so why remove that?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

The one iOS change I never understood is that the Defender sword can't be used as an item to cast Protect anymore. I mean it can't have been a glitch, so why remove that?

:wtc:

Does it still at least have its weapon block trait?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yes, it does, but I still can't figure out why it can't cast Protect anymore, unless that's a new glitch. Looking at a thread from GameFAQs some other changes are:

!Kick ignores Row, is not boosted by Kaiser Knuckles

Death Potion and Dark Sigh are now blockable !Mix potions.

Dancing Dagger and Thief Knife, paired with Dual Wield, can make the off-hand strike twice when they activate their commands (!Dance, !Mug).

Swapping equipment mid-battle no longer resets equipment properties such as Mirage Vest's Image and certain !Mix effects related to elemental absorption and elemental boosting.

Lilith Rod now either uses !Flirt or casts Osmose.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Another pro to the iOS version is that berserkers no longer suffer the bug where their first turn takes forever. If you plan on going 4 berserker I'm petty sure the iOS version will be faster even without being able to speed up during grinding.

So for sandworm you have a 1/3 to hit the worm instead of a 1/6. For sol cannon you get 4 extra attacks before the cannons start going off. For Neo you always hit a target and your team focuses on removing parts ASAP.

Just the virtue of hitting sandworm twice as often means you do not need grind nearly as much on a terrible grind spot which saves a boatload of time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nice try friend you're not gonna get me to buy an ipod that easily

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

voltcatfish posted:

nice try friend you're not gonna get me to buy an ipod that easily

It's the same as the Steam version anyway.

Also, playing normal RPGs on a phone is an exercise in migraines, especially if you have big, meaty claws like some of us do.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'm sure it's possible that there's a RNG string that kills Exdeath, but I'm skeptical that better aiming makes up for the underflow bug. Has anyone done it on iOS?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Got my wind shrine save all set up and TotPhD is ready to save the world. :getin:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

It's the same as the Steam version anyway.

Also, playing normal RPGs on a phone is an exercise in migraines, especially if you have big, meaty claws like some of us do.

And there are some mods on the Steam version that do make the IOS/Android graphics look a lot better. Still worst looking then the GBA sprites, but not by much now. Shame a lot of neat mods that the FFVI Steam release didn't get put back to FFV like the male sprites having a belly, or fixing up the fonts.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rirse posted:

And there are some mods on the Steam version that do make the IOS/Android graphics look a lot better. Still worst looking then the GBA sprites, but not by much now. Shame a lot of neat mods that the FFVI Steam release didn't get put back to FFV like the male sprites having a belly, or fixing up the fonts.

Do the mods make the steam version of 6 worth it? I wish there was a definitive version of 6 where it wasn't buggy as gently caress, the music worked, and it didn't look like rear end.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Probably shouldn't afford it, but gently caress it I do what I want. 5 'Zerks for the tree.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

StrangeAeon posted:

Probably shouldn't afford it, but gently caress it I do what I want. 5 'Zerks for the tree.

Just think of it this way, you just bought a copy of Battlefield for some poor sick kid who will probably insult your mom while playing it. :911:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shwqa posted:

Another pro to the iOS version is that berserkers no longer suffer the bug where their first turn takes forever. If you plan on going 4 berserker I'm petty sure the iOS version will be faster even without being able to speed up during grinding.

So for sandworm you have a 1/3 to hit the worm instead of a 1/6. For sol cannon you get 4 extra attacks before the cannons start going off. For Neo you always hit a target and your team focuses on removing parts ASAP.

Just the virtue of hitting sandworm twice as often means you do not need grind nearly as much on a terrible grind spot which saves a boatload of time.

On the other hand, wouldn't that make Necrophobe impossible since the Zerkers would attack him before trying the two barriers behind him? Not that you need to kill him anyway, but hey.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

djw175 posted:

Do the mods make the steam version of 6 worth it? I wish there was a definitive version of 6 where it wasn't buggy as gently caress, the music worked, and it didn't look like rear end.

I think it does. I got it for $8 from Square Enix's week long sale last week along with FFV for the Fiesta. I used a couple of mods like the one that gets rid of the terrible smudge on all the sprites so they are sharper, the font replacement, one for more 'tv filter', and replacement sprites for Locke and Shadow. Here what a battle looks like after all this.

That said, there is a mod in works that just literally adds all the SNES sprites into the game. There also another one that is redrawing the sprites to look better but it hasn't had a update in months and no download is up for that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a million words in the OP but I don't think any of them mention when this starts, so uh, when does this start?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It'll start likely Sunday evening. Traditionally it starts after the speedrunners finish their run, and since the run starts on Sunday that's likely when they'll finish as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh wow I didn't realize it was so soon. I need to register

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

ff6 stuff

I saw a lot of complaints about the game not loading sprites in between areas/on the overworld, is that an actual complaint or just people getting mad about the Steam port being the iOS version?

Rirse posted:

didn't get put back to FFV like the male sprites having a belly

FF5 Mobile is competing with Hatoful Boyfriend for the title of Best Pigeon Simulator.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

It'll start likely Sunday evening. Traditionally it starts after the speedrunners finish their run, and since the run starts on Sunday that's likely when they'll finish as well.

Nice, I'll get to watch Hamilton win a million Tony's then play FFV all through the night.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

djw175 posted:

Unless there's a mod for Brave New World on the steam version, then my answer will be no.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

I saw a lot of complaints about the game not loading sprites in between areas/on the overworld, is that an actual complaint or just people getting mad about the Steam port being the iOS version?

FF5 Mobile is competing with Hatoful Boyfriend for the title of Best Pigeon Simulator.

I played for about two hours and not seen that issue at all. Only minor issue I have is the dash button is gone from FFV and FFVI, so Thief's sprint and the Sprint Shoes are needed to run again. While that makes those actually useful again, it will suck if I don't get Thief in the Fiesta.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrangeAeon posted:

Unless there's a mod for Brave New World on the steam version, then my answer will be no.

Boy, I sure love the entire World of Ruin being just as obnoxious and pointless as the Sealed Temple is in FF5.

Brave New World had a lot of great ideas but once Atma Weapon hit, the entire thing poo poo the bed. Unless the newest builds of the patch dialed down the entire WoR's HP by about 10x? No sale.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Excited to do this this year. I started a run last, but ended up not finishing due to my hard drive failing. I kinda want to do a practice run with my team from last year (White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

Boy, I sure love the entire World of Ruin being just as obnoxious and pointless as the Sealed Temple is in FF5.

Brave New World had a lot of great ideas but once Atma Weapon hit, the entire thing poo poo the bed. Unless the newest builds of the patch dialed down the entire WoR's HP by about 10x? No sale.

I watched my friend Diabetus stream the Brave New World mod once. Lost interest in it after they made fighting Nepala on the Floating Continent into a big melodramatic cutscene about Celes wishing she was dead or something.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Are you sure that wasn't the vanilla version?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Are you sure that wasn't the vanilla version?

No, that is definitely the mod. Apparently it was a way to shoehorn Celes getting some levels so she wouldn't be underleveled at the start of the WoR. I believe BTB or the other guy eventually nixed that part since it was so poorly received.

The mod itself apparently changed a lot since when I LPed it, so maybe Atma isn't such a roadblock anymore and maybe the WoR is a bit more interesting than "giant meat walls of HP." Only thing I've really read up about is splitting levels so you can get stat gains from espers without having to stay low-level before getting them. I assume there's a ton of other tweaks and stuff too here and there, and I'd love to give it another go sometime since I enjoyed it the first time I played it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oh yeah, you're right. I should give the mod another try one of these days. From what I remember, the author was fairly open to feedback when you LPed it, so the most glaring issues might have been fixed in the interim.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, the author did seem very good about receiving feedback and continuing to tweak things. Even the old build I played when people complained about it a lot, I don't remember the WoR bosses taking that long. I mean, they're definitely higher than the base game, but you could chump WoR bosses in the base game so hard that it wasn't funny.

Really, what the BNW mod does best is make every character good, distinct, and evenly balanced. I had a hard time at Kefka's tower deciding who to leave behind because pretty much everyone was useful.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rirse posted:

I played for about two hours and not seen that issue at all. Only minor issue I have is the dash button is gone from FFV and FFVI, so Thief's sprint and the Sprint Shoes are needed to run again. While that makes those actually useful again, it will suck if I don't get Thief in the Fiesta.
I did three runs on Mobile last year, first with a Thief, second without, and for the third (still no Thief) I said gently caress it and quickly ground up one party member to Sprint. It's simply a quality of life thing, and after all it did cost me an ability slot whenever I wanted to use it, so that's more than fair, I'd say.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

No, that is definitely the mod. Apparently it was a way to shoehorn Celes getting some levels so she wouldn't be underleveled at the start of the WoR. I believe BTB or the other guy eventually nixed that part since it was so poorly received.

Well thank gently caress for that. I remember reading that part in your LP of BNW and wondering what the hell he had been thinking with that poo poo.

I've actually been thinking about giving BNW another shot, myself. By any chance did he change Relm's swearing habit too? I remember being baffled that everyone complained about Kefka having a potty mouth but nobody said a word about Relm being exactly the same (I realize it was supposed to be a Hit Girl reference, but still pretty hypocritical of people to only complain about one and not the other).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

From what I understand Relm uses pretty coarse language in Japanese, though I know it's not the equivalent of throwing the word "gently caress" around in English but I think she calls Strago the equivalent of "lovely old man" or something. I could be wrong.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saturday's run can't get here fast enough. :f5: We're talking about romhacks for an entirely different game because we need to save up our FF5 hype lest we burn out.

Twelve by Pies posted:

From what I understand Relm uses pretty coarse language in Japanese, though I know it's not the equivalent of throwing the word "gently caress" around in English but I think she calls Strago the equivalent of "lovely old man" or something. I could be wrong.

She's definitely more crass than your normal girl that age, but no, she doesn't drop bombs of the level BNW tossed her during the Thamasa arc. I'm also 90% sure that in Japanese, the line between "lovely" and "crappy" is nonexistent, and "drat"/"bastard" are much more mild swears than they are in English. She's definitely not Hit Girl, probably more along the lines of like... Strong Bad.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Twelve by Pies posted:

IIRC "gently caress" and "poo poo" aren't nearly as coarse in Japanese as they are in English

But no matter how bad she was in Japanese, it's still a bit much to see a 10-year old calling people cunts left and right.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay yeah that's...a little excessive.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Saturday's run can't get here fast enough. :f5: We're talking about romhacks for an entirely different game because we need to save up our FF5 hype lest we burn out.

She's definitely more crass than your normal girl that age, but no, she doesn't drop bombs of the level BNW tossed her during the Thamasa arc. I'm also 90% sure that in Japanese, the line between "lovely" and "crappy" is nonexistent, and "drat"/"bastard" are much more mild swears than they are in English. She's definitely not Hit Girl, probably more along the lines of like... Strong Bad.

This is correct. In addition, the word often translated as "drat" can be anywhere from "rats" to "gently caress" depending on the character, the context, and the translator. Japanese doesn't really have what English speakers think of swear words.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

KataraniSword posted:

Indeed.

Now let's talk about the Ancient Cave again.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

Indeed.

Now let's talk about the Ancient Cave again.

It's a fantastic concept marred by two things: One, every FF5 romhack ever is based on the Japanese Super Famicom version, which means that almost all of them are in moonrunes and thus incomprehensible if you don't have a FAQ like, right there.

Two, the FF5 Ancient Cave isn't nearly as flexible as the original Lufia 2 one. It turns out that there's very definitely a specific winning "kit" that you need to have, or else you just fail miserably.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

One, every FF5 romhack ever is based on the Japanese Super Famicom version, which means that almost all of them are in moonrunes and thus incomprehensible if you don't have a FAQ like, right there.
Why would anyone do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

This is correct. In addition, the word often translated as "drat" can be anywhere from "rats" to "gently caress" depending on the character, the context, and the translator. Japanese doesn't really have what English speakers think of swear words.

mebbe they can leave in the honorifics and the shimatas and i can njoy them for myself

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would anyone do this?

because the kind of people who can edit roma of these old games and are familiar with the code are usually the people who have worked on translation projects
- they can already read japanese
- its easier to work the game into ancient cavey fuckness when you dont have to apply all your hacks and tricks to the rom to move data out of order to expand the alphabet and text registers and have everything moved around
- maybe they need the extra space theyd normally create in the rom for all the code to get english text in to hold the randomizer code / sanity checks for the ancient cave code

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread