Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

Anyone do Lightroom work on recent Macbooks (the 2015 models) or Air? How good/bad is it?

I'm thinking that with 8GB of ram and 512GB or more of SSD it should be good enough for to get by, but the processor options give me pause. The i7 you can get in the Air is certainly plenty, but I've never used the m3/m5/m7 processors for "real" work. My machine at work is m5 and it's fine, but all it does is terminals and web browsing.

I used a MacBook on vacation in Key West last year to hold copies of RAWs along side my memory cards, and to pull and process selects on. Simple edits to put on Facebook type stuff. I wouldn't want to use it daily, as it really chugs doing anything in Develop mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 2011 Air is my only machine at the moment (coincidentally enough, also in Key West) and it's not as bad as I thought it would be if you avoid HDR and panoramas. 24mp files and I do a fair amount of correction to my stuff. Import takes a while to do the DNG conversions so I let it do that while I'm having dinner or something. That model only has 4gb ram too.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I use a 2011 Air and it's fine. I have all my libraries on a Thunderbolt drive too. The hard drive on mine died about a year ago and I've been running the OS from an external drive and even that isn't too bad (as long as I don't have anything else running on the machine at the time).

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Ya know, my mid 2009 MacBook Pro chugs along tolerably with LR with a Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, and an SSD. Exporting JPGs is slow as HELL, but the actual editing and navigating process really isn't too bad.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
I used my Macbook to process 10kx10k tif scans in Photoshop once (from a network drive over wifi). It wasn't super fast, but it worked OK.

Regardless you might be better off with a RMBP.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone here used the sigma 50-150 f2.8 before? I'm debating getting the first version for portraits and when my family decides they want to do athletic things but not sure its worth the money. would be getting the nikon mount if that matters.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Has anyone here used the sigma 50-150 f2.8 before? I'm debating getting the first version for portraits and when my family decides they want to do athletic things but not sure its worth the money. would be getting the nikon mount if that matters.

I have it and I like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

Ya know, my mid 2009 MacBook Pro chugs along tolerably with LR with a Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, and an SSD. Exporting JPGs is slow as HELL, but the actual editing and navigating process really isn't too bad.

I have a 2011 MBP from work and it's really showing its age.. mostly due to the hard drive. Apple apparently put a drive in it powered by hamsters and it hangs badly during heavy I/O, such as generating previews.

So I've been thinking of buying something of my own to use while traveling, and the small form factor stuff Apple is putting out is just so drat perfect for that, assuming editing photos isn't excruciating. It sounds like they're "good enough to get by."

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I have a 2011 MBP from work and it's really showing its age.. mostly due to the hard drive. Apple apparently put a drive in it powered by hamsters and it hangs badly during heavy I/O, such as generating previews.

So I've been thinking of buying something of my own to use while traveling, and the small form factor stuff Apple is putting out is just so drat perfect for that, assuming editing photos isn't excruciating. It sounds like they're "good enough to get by."

Don't get the new MBA though, it has no card reader slots and no USB ports. The only connection option is a combination power/peripheral slot so if you want to plug in additional drives or a USB cable, you need an adapter. Luckily the 2014 MBA is still available with 2 USB3 ports, a Thunderbolt port and (on the 13" model) an SD card reader.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have the version without OS. It is a good lens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Don't get the new MBA though, it has no card reader slots and no USB ports. The only connection option is a combination power/peripheral slot so if you want to plug in additional drives or a USB cable, you need an adapter. Luckily the 2014 MBA is still available with 2 USB3 ports, a Thunderbolt port and (on the 13" model) an SD card reader.

You're mixing up the models. The current gen MacBook is USB-C only, which is the single port implementation. The current gen Air still has a traditional array of ports.. SD reader, thunderbolt, and usb.

It is unfortunate that apple opted to only provide a single usb-c port, requiring people to lug around an adapter, but usb-c itself is actually very cool and is only going to get more popular.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's loving retarded to cut the other ports when you go C. It's not a loving cellphone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have the OS version and I really like it. It's bigger and heavier than the one you're looking at (it's essentially a 70-200 in every aspect for crop cameras). I don't think there's much if any difference in PQ between the two versions, they're just a little difficult to find as they're not produced anymore. I paid around $600 for mine off eBay late last year and no regrets compared to the price of a full frame lens where I'd lose enough of the WA end that it'd annoy me.

I posted a few shots I took with it in the sports thread a few days ago, never done it before and it was fun and I was happy with the results. Otherwise I've been using it for portraits and been really happy with the results. I guess it's now been superseded by the 50-100 1.8, but it's a cracking piece of kit with many happy owners. If you're seeing it for a good price, go for it. I'm sure you could always resell it for similar.

In related query, does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement lens hood? Mine had been previously broken and glued together, and I think the heat here has separated the glue as its split back open. I don't think it's a major issue as I attach it with that side pointing to the floor, but it'd be nice to rule out a stray reflection hitting the glass.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

In related query, does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement lens hood? Mine had been previously broken and glued together, and I think the heat here has separated the glue as its split back open. I don't think it's a major issue as I attach it with that side pointing to the floor, but it'd be nice to rule out a stray reflection hitting the glass.

Poke around amazon. There are usually a few 3rd party hoods kicking around for almost any lens these days.

E: You can also search for hoods by size of the front element sometimes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
lately i have heard/read a few people saying they are working mostly on jpegs SOOC using Snapseed (or whatever) on their iPad (or whatever). I guess I am getting old because I have a mental block on how that workflow would go. I'm still putting an SD card in a reader which works fine, but the convenience factor here sounds really nice. Can anyone who works like that describe their process in detail?

If I'm a Sony user do I need to use PlayMemories to get jpegs from camera to iPad wirelessly, or is there a less kludgy way?

I always thought making adjustments to lossy-format pictures was supposed to be a bad idea--what, if any, developments have made it less bad?

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 12, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have worked on jpegs w/ photoshop express on my iphone when all they need is the exposure tweaked. The workflow is easy but I'm still gonna use the PC because the phone isn't a good storage/backup solution and I don't want to use the cloud.

Something I would actually like while on vacation is the ability to dump all the photos onto my phone, do the curation, and have that sync to lightroom when I import on the PC. I doubt that is possible though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lightroom on iPhone is actually pretty cool, but I haven't cracked the process of getting raw files onto the phone while in the field. Once you get stuff into adobe's cloud it's available for editing, I just haven't researched how to get stuff off the camera into the cloud. Maybe some kind of wifi SD card would fit into the chain.

Currently I sync my SD card to my desktop, add a handful of photos to cloud sync, and tinker with them on the phone later. It's more of a cool trick than an actual process.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You can (with Canon Connect) view the photos on your SD card on your phone without importing them - even if they are in RAW format. You could then use that as a basic delete/keep pass but I'm not convinced it's worth it compared with just checking them out on the camera's LCD. You can import RAWs from the camera to your phone/tablet to be edited on the device but that's a separate instance of the image so you'd need to either publish them from the phone or have something like a Dropbox sync or Adobe Cloud to retrieve them later on a different device.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Question time: usually I'm a headshot/portrait/macro photographer, but I'm having the opportunity to tag along with a friend who's taking a horse stunt riding class to take "action" photos for her and the instructors. My gear is a Nikon D750 body and the standard lenses one would use for my usual field. Any suggestions/recommendations what to look out for? Maybe a specific lens to rent for the day?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Caryna posted:

Question time: usually I'm a headshot/portrait/macro photographer, but I'm having the opportunity to tag along with a friend who's taking a horse stunt riding class to take "action" photos for her and the instructors. My gear is a Nikon D750 body and the standard lenses one would use for my usual field. Any suggestions/recommendations what to look out for? Maybe a specific lens to rent for the day?

What kind of longer lenses do you have? and is the riding going to be outdoors or in one of those indoor arenas/halls?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

DJExile posted:

What kind of longer lenses do you have? and is the riding going to be outdoors or in one of those indoor arenas/halls?

My longest lens is my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but I've been toying with the idea of getting the 2x converter for it for a while now. Maybe this is a good reason to finally do it? :) And it's mostly outdoors as far as I'm aware. The riding school is also currently updating their website, so they might want "normal" photos as well. Time to expand my business!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

Lightroom on iPhone is actually pretty cool, but I haven't cracked the process of getting raw files onto the phone while in the field. Once you get stuff into adobe's cloud it's available for editing, I just haven't researched how to get stuff off the camera into the cloud. Maybe some kind of wifi SD card would fit into the chain.

Is there still some size/resoution restriction on Lightroom mobile? (Don't remember which) I read once that the photos in Lightroom mobile get resized somehow, which means you aren't working on the "real deal"?

Caryna posted:

My longest lens is my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but I've been toying with the idea of getting the 2x converter for it for a while now. Maybe this is a good reason to finally do it? :) And it's mostly outdoors as far as I'm aware. The riding school is also currently updating their website, so they might want "normal" photos as well. Time to expand my business!

The 70-200 lenses are generally not very good with teleconverters. Consider getting the Tamron or Sigma 150-600 lenses

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Ineptitude posted:

The 70-200 lenses are generally not very good with teleconverters. Consider getting the Tamron or Sigma 150-600 lenses

Thanks for the reminder! I guess I could rent the Tamron 150-600mm for the weekend as it's only £33 for Fri-Mon, to see how I like it. I had my eyes on it for a while, but never a real reason to get one.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Seems weird that the first thing you think about for a job is"what new gear do I need".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Seems weird that the first thing you think about for a job is"what new gear do I need".

Well, not having the lenses to shoot sports on hand when it's not your normal gig is kinda understandable. I don't currently own an AF lens longer than 56mm so I'd be renting a tele too if I got a job worth the effort that required one.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You may not need anything longer than 200mm if you're able to get close to the action. Sounds like you'll be shooting during lessons / special photo sessions, and not during actual live competition, so they may let you onto the field to get a closer shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Is there still some size/resoution restriction on Lightroom mobile? (Don't remember which) I read once that the photos in Lightroom mobile get resized somehow, which means you aren't working on the "real deal"?
Not that it informs you, but exports are definitely not full resolution and neither are the local copies because the app usage is never big enough to be shipping raw files around. Couldn't tell you if that's a Lightroom restriction of a CC thing.

But you have all the image processing options available, and you can edit the photo on the fly and changes will sync back to the desktop Lightroom, which is mostly how I use it.

The presentation mode is pretty good too for showing off your work if you got an apple tv around or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it sounds like it's closer to offline editing, which is definitely preferable when dealing with high shoot counts and large MPs on a mobile device. Maybe it should have an option to selectively grab in full res for those special shots.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

deaders posted:

Actually the lens question was my second thought (if you were a bird photographer and only owned a 150-600mm lens, would you be comfy going to shoot a friends wedding with it?). The original question was what to look out for/be aware of. I don't usually shoot moving subjects, so I'd probably have to practice panning and change focus modes etc. Obviously any gear advise that helps to make the job easier/better is most welcome, but it doesn't mean I'll run off to the next shop and drop all my cash there.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah nvm I misread and didn't realise it was a long-range thing, I read class as being more up close. Good luck with it anyway!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

Not that it informs you, but exports are definitely not full resolution and neither are the local copies because the app usage is never big enough to be shipping raw files around. Couldn't tell you if that's a Lightroom restriction of a CC thing.

But you have all the image processing options available, and you can edit the photo on the fly and changes will sync back to the desktop Lightroom, which is mostly how I use it.

The presentation mode is pretty good too for showing off your work if you got an apple tv around or something.

While i have not yet had a need for printing a 10 feet by 6 feet photo (which is roughly the max size i can do with my 5d3 (?) ) and have never exported any photo at max resolution, i don't understand why there is a restriction like this. Why not let the user choose? To me this sounds like Lightroom Mobile is practically useless, as you don't have the whole range of tools available and the reason for that is because some software company took that option away, not for any techical reason. What else will they remove in the next version if users find this acceptable?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Caryna posted:

if you were a bird photographer and only owned a 150-600mm lens, would you be comfy going to shoot a friends wedding with it?

I ran into a similar problem the other day when I say a tree covered in blossoms I wanted to take a photo of, I only had my 150-600 with me and that involved backing up 50 feet or so.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Didn't a Dorkroom regular (and bird / wildlife enthusiast) shoot a mod's wedding a couple of years ago? I seem to remember some comment about him "totally wildlife photog'ing it" and shooting most of the action from the back of the church through a 70-200.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Didn't a Dorkroom regular (and bird / wildlife enthusiast) shoot a mod's wedding a couple of years ago? I seem to remember some comment about him "totally wildlife photog'ing it" and shooting most of the action from the back of the church through a 70-200.

The first trick is to become one with the environment *sets up a blind in the aisle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Preferable to the wedding I saw a few weeks ago.. the photographer was right behind the priest sticking a camera over his shoulder.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ExecuDork posted:

Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah a 70-200 is pretty standard stuff for weddings.

E: Being all the way back in the church might be a bit odd unless you're getting some wide, all-encompassing picture with a wider lens, or shooting the party for the processional/recessional, but yeah lenses like a 70-200 are great for them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

The first trick is to become one with the environment *sets up a blind in the aisle

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/32647/cabelas-realtree-shower-curtains

Make it out of this, and set up in front of the flower table.

EDIT: or, if the wedding is sufficiently redneck/tacky, you could potentially blend in from within the wedding party!
https://www.theknot.com/content/camo-wedding-dresses-bridesmaid-dresses

DJExile posted:

Yeah a 70-200 is pretty standard stuff for weddings.

E: Being all the way back in the church might be a bit odd unless you're getting some wide, all-encompassing picture with a wider lens, or shooting the party for the processional/recessional, but yeah lenses like a 70-200 are great for them.
Not surprising to me. This revelation came out in the middle of a half-serious joking session in some thread around here (could have been this one! Too lazy to search). I'm just highly entertained by the idea of an outdoor wedding with the photographer on the other side of the lake, hiding in a blind with a 600mm on a gimbal-mount, getting beautful-bokeh pictures of the moment the ring slips onto a finger but never hearing a goddam thing.

And then setting up a game-camera in the hotel suite to get that favourite wildlife-photographer's shot, mating.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 13, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

[

And then setting up a game-camera in the hotel suite to get that favourite wildlife-photographer's shot, mating.

My brother setup game cameras at his wedding reception next to the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

ExecuDork posted:

A 70-200mm is a pretty standard and "must have" lens for weddings (nice extra reach for inside churches/temples) and portraits/headshots (sweet compression). It's my fav toy :)