Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Not your problem and $60/hr is on the high side if this is a dude you're paying directly for PPL work. Depending on the part of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I would supervise my students first solo from the ramp with a radio (without charging them) but after that they were on their own.*

*I made my students file a "flight plan" with me for every solo flight. Basically what they were going to work on and when they were planning on being back. Once they were back I had them call me and "close" their flight plan. Even if I wasn't at the airport. And no I didn't charge them for it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Instruction is $40/hour, and he just confirmed that he doesn't charge for attending solo flights, which is good. He does wants 30-45 minutes of ground school before each flight, though, with a little more for the cross country and pre check flight.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 28, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
$40/hr is reasonable and a little bit of groundschool for the cross country and pre-solo are appropriate especially since there's endorsements to do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So, if I'm reading this right, PSA can now fly CRJ-900s/E175s, but at the same/similar pay rate as to what their pilots are flying the CRJ and handful of CR7s they have now? US/AA's way of doing what DL is with their RJs in shuffling the deck to park the 50-seaters in favor of 90-seaters?

Curious about this as an outsider because, had I gone the flying route (which is highly unlikely at this point), PSA was going to be a target of mine.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 28, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Does anybody know the origin of calling the autopilot "George"?
edit: nevermind, i never thought google would actually work for that.
http://www.flyingmag.com/let-george-do-it

answers it pretty well.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 29, 2013

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

DNova posted:

You drop things from planes and whoever gets closest to the target wins. We used pumpkins (our parties were in the fall). My friend had two planes - a 152 and a 172. He flew the 172 and I flew the 152 and we took everyone up to drop their pumpkins onto a target just off the runway. It is a lot of fun.

There was a local airport I used to visit once in a while that closed down a couple years because someone was tearing it down for a housing development. When they closed all the doors a lot of the instructors and other employees dropped bowling balls through the roofs of the buildings. Good stuff

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One of my former instructors and her husband live on a piece of land in the country converted into a grass strip, complete with gun range and off-road buggy (they call them go-karts) track made from plowing down some of the tall grass. The house sits next door to a hangar designed to resemble those found in WWII, which stores their vintage plane and has a maintenance shop on the first floor and bar/aviation geek heaven mancave upstairs.

They have an annual fly-in for the husband's birthday which, when I went last year, didn't involve any sort of flying contest, but the guy flying the RC plane and dogfighting with a crow more than made up for it. More people should experience a battery-operated airplane taking on ACM with a bird.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So how about that citation that hit the hangar in Santa Monica? Supposedly they touched down just fine, blew a tire, went off the runway and hit a hangar and went supernova.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah I don't know what happened there. There was also the experienced helicopter pilot in Pennsylvania who walked into his tail rotor and was killed by it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Story with that was his hat blew off and he instinctively went for it and stumbled into the rotor.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So I'm having my first hanger party on Saturday. I'm becoming a big boy pilot trainee I guess! So, how drunk is considered acceptable? Sloppy, buzzed, or stone-cold sober (Next flight is Wednesday, so no risk of 8 hours bottle to throttle)

A bunch of drunks with a flying problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training classes cancelled until further notice due to congressional incompetence, but I scored some free time today, and actually got to talk to airplanes!

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
787 just showed up on the equipment bid at work :getin:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Training classes cancelled until further notice due to congressional incompetence, but I scored some free time today, and actually got to talk to airplanes!

What facility? I think we're going to continue training.

I got sent home from RTF class at the Academy today. We will have to return at some point to finish out the last two weeks of class. :argh:

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 2, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
ATC facilities have the option of continuing OJT if staffing permits but classroom training has been suspended since the instructors aren't essential.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 2, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

ATC facilities have the option of continuing OJT if staffing permits but classroom training has been suspended since the instructors aren't essential.

This.

ZMA, to answer the direct question.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I'm sure that the folks at my facility that just started the R side class they've been waiting on for 6 months just love that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This will set back training quite a bit for everyone. My coworker just got back from academy radar class in OKC (thankfully his class finished up before the shutdown) but he won't be able to start training on his first sector until he goes through the local classroom portion. Who knows when that'll be, since all those guys had to go home.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sorry to double post and bring this up in here, but the Sequester thread is moving too quickly to be useful. Mr Yenko, fknlo, Tommy 2.0, Iocounu, whoever else works as FAA ATC:

I just got a text from my union rep that the agency is disseminating a letter regarding annual/sick leave and requesting employees sign it. The union is instructing us to refuse to sign the paper. I don't yet know what it says, I'm waiting for a copy. The rep said if management "forces" you to sign it, then comply but notate at the bottom that you were forced to sign it.

I'm not sure what they're trying to pull here, but since everything about this shutdown has been so reactionary I wanted to make sure you guys got notified as quickly as possible, in case your local representation doesn't get the message out as quickly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Sorry to double post and bring this up in here, but the Sequester thread is moving too quickly to be useful. Mr Yenko, fknlo, Tommy 2.0, Iocounu, whoever else works as FAA ATC:

I just got a text from my union rep that the agency is disseminating a letter regarding annual/sick leave and requesting employees sign it. The union is instructing us to refuse to sign the paper. I don't yet know what it says, I'm waiting for a copy. The rep said if management "forces" you to sign it, then comply but notate at the bottom that you were forced to sign it.

I'm not sure what they're trying to pull here, but since everything about this shutdown has been so reactionary I wanted to make sure you guys got notified as quickly as possible, in case your local representation doesn't get the message out as quickly.

Thanks!

Our union folks have been pretty on top of this so far. They've apparently been the biggest reason the agency is looking at/reconsidering the thing where people without an active medical but can work the A-side aren't excepted but trainees certified on nothing but the A-side are. I've gotten so many emails over the past 2 days that it isn't funny.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Ferret King posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

fknlo posted:

Thanks!

Our union folks have been pretty on top of this so far. They've apparently been the biggest reason the agency is looking at/reconsidering the thing where people without an active medical but can work the A-side aren't excepted but trainees certified on nothing but the A-side are. I've gotten so many emails over the past 2 days that it isn't funny.

This was almost me since management was being management and wasn't aware I got my medical back after surgery. At my facility they ARE letting people without a current medical to come in to work A-Sides (which everyone knows is a complete joke). People at my facility that just finished R-School, but weren't able to keep proficiency, are being allowed the same. Honestly, if your facility isn't allowing this they are opening themselves wide open for a grievance. It IS a certification after all.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 3, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So had my first loss of separation today, but as far as my trainer and I can tell, it was 100% legal. I had an Acey CRJ2 :argh: climbing out to the south. I also had a Southwest departing KSTL to the southeast. I was stepping the Southwest up under the Acey as it plodded its way to FL300. The Acey was out of FL274 and the Southwest was out of FL255 and I climbed the Southwest to FL270. That god drat Southwest leveled off at FL270 while the Acey was at FL278. They had about 3 miles, diverging and I climbed the Southwest to altitude about 30 seconds later.

I was using this rule for separation:

quote:

b. Assign an altitude to an aircraft after the aircraft
previously at that altitude has been issued a
climb/descent clearance and is observed (valid
Mode C), or reports leaving the altitude.

There's obviously the "consider aircraft performance characteristics" clause, which I did consider, I just didn't expect the Southwest to blow through 2000ft while the Acey managed 400. There's also this section:

quote:

2. It is possible that the separation minima described in
para 4−5−1 , Vertical Separation Minima, para 7−7−3 ,
Separation, para 7−8−3 , Separation, or para 7−9−4 ,
Separation, might not always be maintained using
subpara b. However, correct application of this procedure
will ensure that aircraft are safely separated because the
first aircraft must have already vacated the altitude prior
to the assignment of that altitude to the second aircraft.

My trainer said he would have done the same thing, and that second section I quoted basically reads as a "we realize this isn't always going to work" clause that covers something like this. What are your guys' thoughts on that?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The government wants the FAA to allow people to use electronic devices at all phases of flight, with Claire McCaskill threatening legislation to make it happen if the FAA doesn't do it themselves. They're aware of incidents where devices have caused interference, but write them off as "just anecdotes".

I would ask if the government is moronic enough to ignore NASA forms talking about HSIs getting screwy at 9,000, only to fix themselves once somebody turned off their toy...but then again, this is the government that set in the 1,500 hour law and just screwed 800,000 employees in a party line pissing match over the budget, so I wouldn't put it past some congressman/woman who got butthurt over having to stop playing Angry Birds to do so. How can you disregard the proverbial "Pilot's Get Out Of Jail Free Card"?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 4, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I would ask if the government is moronic enough to ignore NASA forms talking about HSIs getting screwy at 9,000, only to fix themselves once somebody turned off their toy...

Any aircraft that has a gyro instrument "go screwy" due to a "toy" should have its airworthyness certificate revoked.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

I had an Acey CRJ2 :argh: climbing out to the south.

There's obviously the "consider aircraft performance characteristics" clause, which I did consider, I just didn't expect the Southwest to blow through 2000ft while the Acey managed 400.

The CRJ200 is a DOG, esp in the upper 20s. Also, how long was SW leveled? When I level, I accelerate as much as possible to build up momentum for the next step up.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Also, how long was SW leveled? When I level, I accelerate as much as possible to build up momentum for the next step up.

This. If a jet has been flying straight and level for more than two minutes, expect a very high rate of climb immediately after issuing a climb.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CBJSprague24 posted:

The government wants the FAA to allow people to use electronic devices at all phases of flight, with Claire McCaskill threatening legislation to make it happen if the FAA doesn't do it themselves. They're aware of incidents where devices have caused interference, but write them off as "just anecdotes".

I would ask if the government is moronic enough to ignore NASA forms talking about HSIs getting screwy at 9,000, only to fix themselves once somebody turned off their toy...but then again, this is the government that set in the 1,500 hour law and just screwed 800,000 employees in a party line pissing match over the budget, so I wouldn't put it past some congressman/woman who got butthurt over having to stop playing Angry Birds to do so. How can you disregard the proverbial "Pilot's Get Out Of Jail Free Card"?

I guess you've missed iPads and iPhones using foreflight for ifr navigation and instrument approaches.

I don't fly instruments without a toy backup. I am willing to wager the airline captains don't turn off their cellphones either ;)

Also- why are you so mad about this or did it just get brought up in the news?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

I guess you've missed iPads and iPhones using foreflight for ifr navigation and instrument approaches.

I don't fly instruments without a toy backup. I am willing to wager the airline captains don't turn off their cellphones either ;)

Also- why are you so mad about this or did it just get brought up in the news?

The trick though is you're the pilot. If you notice something not looking quite right, you can switch it off and see if it resolves. A bit more challenging when it could be any of hundreds of people back in the cabin interfering.

I'm not a huge fan of allowing passengers to use electronic devices during critical phases of flight, especially intentional radiators of RF like Wifi or phones, especially based on a committee meeting with no research and saying "sure, why not." Yes, I know people leave cell phones on all the time, but there are cases in the NASA reports where anomalous instrumentation readings were resolved by finding the cell phone left on and shutting it off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AWSEFT posted:

The CRJ200 is a DOG, esp in the upper 20s. Also, how long was SW leveled? When I level, I accelerate as much as possible to build up momentum for the next step up.

The Southwest never leveled before FL270. He had been climbing like Southwests tend to do though.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Captain Apollo posted:

I don't fly instruments without a toy backup.

Yes, because accuracy and redundancy are what iPad GPS apps are known for.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

The trick though is you're the pilot. If you notice something not looking quite right, you can switch it off and see if it resolves. A bit more challenging when it could be any of hundreds of people back in the cabin interfering.

I'm not a huge fan of allowing passengers to use electronic devices during critical phases of flight, especially intentional radiators of RF like Wifi or phones, especially based on a committee meeting with no research and saying "sure, why not." Yes, I know people leave cell phones on all the time, but there are cases in the NASA reports where anomalous instrumentation readings were resolved by finding the cell phone left on and shutting it off.

If microwave, especially the 2.4 GHz ISM band effected VHF radio VORTACs wouldn't work at all. (also, the FM tuner on your car)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

atehist posted:

Yes, because accuracy and redundancy are what iPad GPS apps are known for.

Not all of us can go NDB to NDB in Alaska, captain. ;)

I love my foreflight + external dual GPS. It has never let me down. Not sure what your comment does to invalidate the use of ipads and gps's in the cockpit?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Also: I'd like to fully recommend CloudAhoy.com

Install the app on your ipad and iphone. Start the tracking, go fly around do manuevers and approaches. When you get back to the ground it'll have a 3D googlemaps cockpit view, and birds eye view of everything you've done.

REALLY helped me the other night when a student didn't think he was S-turning on an ILS approach and didn't believe me when I told him he was a half mile off while he was under the hood.

Seems to have extremely little battery drain on the ipad itself.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

So had my first loss of separation today, but as far as my trainer and I can tell, it was 100% legal. I had an Acey CRJ2 :argh: climbing out to the south. I also had a Southwest departing KSTL to the southeast. I was stepping the Southwest up under the Acey as it plodded its way to FL300. The Acey was out of FL274 and the Southwest was out of FL255 and I climbed the Southwest to FL270. That god drat Southwest leveled off at FL270 while the Acey was at FL278. They had about 3 miles, diverging and I climbed the Southwest to altitude about 30 seconds later.

I was using this rule for separation:

There's obviously the "consider aircraft performance characteristics" clause, which I did consider, I just didn't expect the Southwest to blow through 2000ft while the Acey managed 400. There's also this section:

My trainer said he would have done the same thing, and that second section I quoted basically reads as a "we realize this isn't always going to work" clause that covers something like this. What are your guys' thoughts on that?

As long as you assigned SWA FL270 after you observed ASQ leaving that altitude (or ASQ reported leaving it) you're golden. It's not a loss of separation but it will set off the snitch. It's a very fundamental altitude separation rule.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Subtle, NWS (Taken off Reddit)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Captain Apollo posted:

Also: I'd like to fully recommend CloudAhoy.com

CloudAhoy is the poo poo. I like to use it when doing tracking (IR student) to see how good my tracking vs 'homing' is

Everyone go get CloudAhoy

ITS FREE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Since I'm only a month into my training and all that, and ahve only done sim time, please be nice to this stupid question. How do I calculate how much time it will take me to fly a certain distance, and if I'd need to land to refuel along the way?

For raw numbers, was planning in the summer to fly from Ottawa ON to Dryden ON to see my friend up there in a DA-20. I can find the answer in my POH right?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
A month into training and only done sim training? Seems a little counter productive to me.

Anyway, most of it should be in your POH. You'll need to find the distance, and direction that you're traveling, calculate your ground speed from winds and power setting, do a time, fuel, distance to climb, and that would generally tell you everything you'd need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Stupid Post Maker posted:

A month into training and only done sim training? Seems a little counter productive to me.

Anyway, most of it should be in your POH. You'll need to find the distance, and direction that you're traveling, calculate your ground speed from winds and power setting, do a time, fuel, distance to climb, and that would generally tell you everything you'd need to know.

I figured but I wasn't 100% sure.

As to still only having done sims it's because sims took longer than I expected, and I was supposed to have three flights this week, but I got a temporary work contract, and I really badly need the money. I have two actual flights next week and week after. Each 2 hours in air, plus hour on ground.

• Locked thread