Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You do P. Good work Kalon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Finally all caught up with the LP. This game was one of those things I thought about getting when I heard it had come out. "Well I could get it, but I really liked Dishonored and it itched that Thief scratch real nicely while giving me some other cool stuff to do. Maybe on sale."

Thank you for showing me that my time spent on trying to play this new Thief would be more of a waste than the :10bux: I might've spent. Also gonna give that Dark Mod a shot on my own time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
With regards to the knocking being the combination for the safe I figured that the knocking was just a pattern of noises the pipes make because pipes and then the guy whose safe what was deliberately made the combination the sound of the knocks for funsies.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Keksen posted:

She really does. The difference of course being that the heart was pretty drat cool.

I loved the Heart. The voice acting was absolutely perfect, and it was a device of pure narrative, without no club-over-the-head exposition. Like the item descriptions in Dark Souls (only, obviously, less so). Erin, on the other hand, is just really, really boring and cliched.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Neruz posted:

With regards to the knocking being the combination for the safe I figured that the knocking was just a pattern of noises the pipes make because pipes and then the guy whose safe what was deliberately made the combination the sound of the knocks for funsies.

Yeah, my explanation for it was that the guy who wrote the note about the rhythm of the knocking getting stuck in his head was the same guy who made it the safe combination. To be fair, it actually makes decent sense. Doesn't make the game or this level any less of a :effort: piece of poo poo though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This game is so painfully tedious. How in the hell can you keep playing it Bobbin? It's just so bad at looking fun.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Ahh, the Mechanical Eye. Welcome to Thi4f folks, were the final insult isn't that the game takes place in the same universe as the original trilogy, it's that Garrett, the Master Thief and (if I'm remembering the Deadly Shadows ending right) the Head of the Keepers, was caught and apparently died in prison. Thanks, Thi4f.

Fake Edit: That or he was caught and escaped but left his eye for some reason? Either way, it's terrible.

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Thanks, Thi4f.

Tha4f.

Maybe it's not the original Garrett's mechanical eye. Maybe it's one from the reincarnated version, who had his eye removed by Istanbine. Actually, about the only bad plot device not thrown in yet is time travel, and it may well show up soon enough.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Brainamp posted:

I'm not sure if it was just the patch version I played it on, but I had piss all difficulty in sneaking by them. Kinda made that last corridor weird when suddenly all these things that weren't ever aware of me are attacking.

I did get more used to the gollums with time, but first contact was a bit of a mess. However;

Neruz posted:

... I completely missed that the banging in the pipes was connected to the safe combination in any way, so maybe I'm just a bit slow.

HnK416 posted:

Ahh, the Mechanical Eye. Welcome to Thi4f folks, were the final insult isn't that the game takes place in the same universe as the original trilogy, it's that Garrett, the Master Thief and (if I'm remembering the Deadly Shadows ending right) the Head of the Keepers, was caught and apparently died in prison. Thanks, Thi4f.

Fake Edit: That or he was caught and escaped but left his eye for some reason? Either way, it's terrible.

Speaking of me missing things... I can't remember if I found the mechanical eye. I think I did, but still assumed it was just a reference and not supposed to literally be original-Garrett's eye, because that still seems ridiculous to me. I think for me to have realised that that was what they meant, nu-Garrett would have had to have explicitly mentioned that his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather 'Garrett the first' was head of the Keepers, or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antistar01 posted:

Speaking of me missing things... I can't remember if I found the mechanical eye. I think I did, but still assumed it was just a reference and not supposed to literally be original-Garrett's eye, because that still seems ridiculous to me. I think for me to have realised that that was what they meant, nu-Garrett would have had to have explicitly mentioned that his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather 'Garrett the first' was head of the Keepers, or something.

This may just be me, but Garrett the original always struck me as the sort of guy who was never going to try and sire a family line or anything. Like, I think one of the mission intros had him talking about how he liked the idea of Basso's sister being appreciative for him helping Basso out but I always saw Garrett as too much of a loner (or too much of a goon depending on your point of view) to bother having any kids of his own as opposed to handing down his knowledge and skills to a worthy successor (i.e. who Erin was originally supposed to be at the end of Thief 3).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

This may just be me, but Garrett the original always struck me as the sort of guy who was never going to try and sire a family line or anything. Like, I think one of the mission intros had him talking about how he liked the idea of Basso's sister being appreciative for him helping Basso out but I always saw Garrett as too much of a loner (or too much of a goon depending on your point of view) to bother having any kids of his own as opposed to handing down his knowledge and skills to a worthy successor (i.e. who Erin was originally supposed to be at the end of Thief 3).

Garret was a deeply antisocial person, yes. Not in the sense of being a huge rear end in a top hat so much as being a genuine loner who mostly preferred his own company.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Antistar01 posted:

Considering the notes that can be found that mention a "master sneak thief" being locked up here and the fact that in the original games it's stated that the eye was made specifically for Garrett....yea, it's supposed to be his. Sadly.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

HnK416 posted:

Considering the notes that can be found that mention a "master sneak thief" being locked up here and the fact that in the original games it's stated that the eye was made specifically for Garrett....yea, it's supposed to be his. Sadly.

I wouldn't be surprised at this stage if in a later chapter you're sent to exhume old Garrett's remains and piss into his empty eyesocket. To be honest, that's pretty much Thi4f's MO summed up perfectly.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

HnK416 posted:

Considering that Thi4f has no respect for the previous games' canon, we should have no respect for its canon. I think the mechanical eye belonged to the T-800 that was sent back in time to kill Erin before she could give birth to this plot.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
While I agree that Thi4f is a bad game, it's kind of interesting from an outside perspective to see just how violently some people react to this game's terrible callbacks. :chanpop:

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Cartheon posted:

Considering that Thi4f has no respect for the previous games' canon, we should have no respect for its canon. I think the mechanical eye belonged to the T-800 that was sent back in time to kill Erin before she could give birth to this plot.

I support this wholeheartedly.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Shady Amish Terror posted:

While I agree that Thi4f is a bad game, it's kind of interesting from an outside perspective to see just how violently some people react to this game's terrible callbacks. :chanpop:

It's all in good fun, much like Yahtzee ripping on a game. If we were violently reacting I suspect a lot more cursing would be involved

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

TomViolence posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at this stage if in a later chapter you're sent to exhume old Garrett's remains and piss into his empty eyesocket. To be honest, that's pretty much Thi4f's MO summed up perfectly.

(Not my work.)

I'm not sorry. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

I'm not sorry. :v:

Well, yeah, I don't really blame you. I just sort of forgot for a bit that, oh, right, Thief was kind of a critically acclaimed and much-beloved game series before...this happened to it. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Hmm... I figured out what was under Garrett's chin-kerchief.

Squeenix vs. Looking Glass's dignity

Round one, fight!

Squeenix Wins! Franchise fatality!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so they retconned her back to life so she could be tortured and kidnapped.

Maybe if I hold out a little longer I can get Female Video Game Character triple bingo.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Glazius posted:

...so they retconned her back to life so she could be tortured and kidnapped.

Maybe if I hold out a little longer I can get Female Video Game Character triple bingo.

Love-Interest-But-Not-Really-Or-Is-She, Damsel In Distress, Living MacGuffin, and Orator, so you could go for a quadruple right now if you wanted. :v:

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Don't forget woman scorned. She's a cornucopia of tropes of women.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
This game is just a checklist of tropes to be honest. There's nothing original about any characters or event or aspect. As Yahtzee said, it's the most unoffensive, check-listed stealth game that could be made.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Well, yeah, I don't really blame you. I just sort of forgot for a bit that, oh, right, Thief was kind of a critically acclaimed and much-beloved game series before...this happened to it. :v:

The thing is the original Thief games have plenty of flaws that even fans of the series can and will point out...the graphics haven't held up at all, it's easy to exploit the blackjack to clear areas out, the guard AI is primitive by today's standards, and Thief 3 has a host of issues unique to it such as the way the map is broken up, the AI running around slaughtering itself in unintended domino chains of friendly fire, etc. etc.

But they also did a lot of things right with regard to rewarding exploration, presenting multiple ways to approach a level, solid voice acting and atmospheric cutscenes, and stories that were by and large much more interesting than Th4ef's which is very blatantly a design-by-committee quagmire full of characters we have no reason to like or care about. And like a few people have said here, it's not that Th4ef is THE WORST GAME EVER so much as it's aggressively mediocre in a paint by numbers sort of way.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

And like a few people have said here, it's not that Th4ef is THE WORST GAME EVER so much as it's aggressively mediocre in a paint by numbers sort of way.

Well as it's said, I suppose, one of the worst crimes that a game can commit is being boring.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Well, it's not simply that it's boring, it's boring while also being suffused with an overall tone of crass Hollywood action movie bravado that really doesn't fit with the tone of the Thief series. All the mandatory over-the-top scripted chase sequences where Garrett is forcibly caught, having the guards be led by a silly scenery-chewing villain, Garrett's silly get-up and clock-tower lair, etc. A lot of which To me the worst offense of the game isn't being boring or continuity or whatever, it's missing the tone and spirit of the originals.

I couldn't care less about whether Original Garrett existed in this game's official canon or whatever, caring about continuity in video game series is pretty silly and kind of on the level of nitpicking. What is more important is if it follows the originals in tone and spirit.

Adding a lot of bombastic action movie tone to a game series known for subtlety and atmosphere seems to be a common trend when a series is given to another developer. Other than Thief 2014, Deus Ex 3 (though still a good game) and Myst 3 and 4 come to mind.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is the original Thief games have plenty of flaws that even fans of the series can and will point out...the graphics haven't held up at all...

Anyone who points at graphics as being critical to a game needs to have their head held under until the bubbles stop. Most of the greatest games ever made have some of the shittiest graphics. Example - Ultima 4 and 5, I have yet to play an RPG with their depth. That's the critical, technical failure of this game - it sacrifices large maps on the altar of better graphics and faster loading times; it gave up something awesome about the franchise (excluding Thief 3) for things that don't matter all that much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
While I wouldn't put it quite that harshly, he has a point: graphics never stopped me from replaying any of the Dark engine games. I'd say that when it comes to graphics, style and presentation are more important than technical quality.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Well as it's said, I suppose, one of the worst crimes that a game can commit is being boring.
Truthfully I hate a game having wasted potential even MORE than a bad game in general. If you spent more time on it, if you put more effort into it, you can make it good if it had a good idea from the start. You're making a continuation of an acclaimed series, it's not even a new IP, there is SO MUCH for you to work with here and when you don't use any of that and just resort to Game 101 by very basic elements, you are a huge discredit to yourself and the game development.

A bad game from the start is never going to look right and will always be bad, but when you have a lot of ingredients you can make and then don't use many of them, that's even worse because you wasted so much opportunity compared to a bad game developer who has literally nothing to work with.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Cartheon posted:

Anyone who points at graphics as being critical to a game needs to have their head held under until the bubbles stop. Most of the greatest games ever made have some of the shittiest graphics. Example - Ultima 4 and 5, I have yet to play an RPG with their depth. That's the critical, technical failure of this game - it sacrifices large maps on the altar of better graphics and faster loading times; it gave up something awesome about the franchise (excluding Thief 3) for things that don't matter all that much.

lol okay

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Your witty repartee has disarmed me entirely. I concede the point. Well played, sir.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Cartheon posted:

Your witty repartee has disarmed me entirely. I concede the point. Well played, sir.

You could write more about how you'd suggest that people with different opinion of video games than you be murdered, that's always entertaining.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Comical hyperbole? On my humour forum?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why are there so few actors in a map? What limitation were they running up against? It's not like the AI we've seen has been advanced or innovative.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

goatface posted:

Why are there so few actors in a map? What limitation were they running up against? It's not like the AI we've seen has been advanced or innovative.

Console memory, I'd reckon.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

goatface posted:

I could be wrong, but it seems like the usual suspects are 'lack of dev time' and 'graphical limitations'. This is especially true of anything that's going on a console, but a lot of 'AAA' games seem to often run into the problem that it takes a LOT of time to develop shiny, well-polished assets, and way too much of a system's resources to display them, so you frequently end up with high-poly models that still look cruddy because of rendering limitations or a lack of good art direction that you can only display a few of at any given point in time.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
This is the creative genius behind the story of Thief.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YNlxBn6jpU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

This is the creative genius behind the story of Thief.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YNlxBn6jpU
Somebody punch this man.
Anyway, what I'm taking from this is that Erin was supposed to be sympathetic... And that there's some stuff we should have been told before the prologue since the game can't do exposition for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Szurumbur posted:

You could write more about how you'd suggest that people with different opinion of video games than you be murdered, that's always entertaining.

TomViolence posted:

Comical hyperbole? On my humour forum?!

We forgot the first rule of the internet, TomViolence.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread